PDA

View Full Version : How often do u use your trim????

Colwell1199
03-11-2006, 10:15 AM
<S> All,

So lets hear it...how often do u use your trim? Do u use it on clime out? what about fighting? how about landing? do u use it for bombings?

I'll go 1st. I use mine for climb out and during turns when i'm trying to get into a shooting position.
<S> All
HKeye

Colwell1199
03-11-2006, 10:15 AM
&lt;S&gt; All,

So lets hear it...how often do u use your trim? Do u use it on clime out? what about fighting? how about landing? do u use it for bombings?

I'll go 1st. I use mine for climb out and during turns when i'm trying to get into a shooting position.
&lt;S&gt; All
HKeye

Brain32
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Cruise and non combat climb only.

Breeze147
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Whenever the plane starts tilting.

georgeo76
03-11-2006, 10:48 AM
constantly

triggerhappyfin
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
All the time.

russ.nl
03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by georgeo76:
constantly </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

T_O_A_D
03-11-2006, 11:01 AM
All the time.

jermin122
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM
109 pilots live on elevator trims.

alert_1
03-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I have it mapped on my mouse wheel, trimming all the time

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-11-2006, 11:12 AM
For some reason I only ever use rudder trim (except on the planes that don't have it of course)

LEXX_Luthor
03-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I have it mapped on my mouse wheel, trimming all the time

I guess that makes me dislectic too!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

Except when I fly I-16, then I'm not very dislectic.

Xiolablu3
03-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I never really use trim unless Im on a bombing mission and want to go make a drink while its flying to the target.

Strange really, most people use it a lot, I just compensate with my stick.

OldMan____
03-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Only elevator trimm, but all the time. The plane always need to continue same flight path if I leave the stick, othwerwise I feel like fighting it.

Chuck_Older
03-11-2006, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I never really use trim unless Im on a bombing mission and want to go make a drink while its flying to the target.

Strange really, most people use it a lot, I just compensate with my stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're losing performance then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I trim all the time, and especially when I want to shoot accurately

domenlovrec
03-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I fly 109 all the time, so i press elevator trim (down) 7 times. When plane is at full speed it flys like auto pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

R_Target
03-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I use elevator trim constantly. Rudder I set then tweak here and there. I usually only trim ailerons when it becomes aileron.

F19_Orheim
03-11-2006, 01:07 PM
all the time...

Xiolablu3
03-11-2006, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Strange really, most people use it a lot, I just compensate with my stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're losing performance then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I trim all the time, and especially when I want to shoot accurately </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why am I losing performce Chuck? Surely trim is just like applying a bit of stick.

JtD
03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
No, it's more.

1st) It allows you to pull harder maneuvers at high speed. If you ever tried to pull a P-38J from a dive at 750 you will know what trim does.
2nd) A slight steady input costs you less than a few short hard inputs like you will usually get from a stick. If I trim the Tempest properly, I get an about 5-10 kph higher top speed when compared to stick input.

willyvic
03-11-2006, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

I trim all the time, and especially when I want to shoot accurately </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why am I losing performce Chuck? Surely trim is just like applying a bit of stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cause you are inducing drag by using the entire elevator surface as opposed to just the the tabs. Try it out. You should see an increase in speed and retention.

Oh, and I trim all the time too.

WV

Chuck_Older
03-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I was going to whip up a pic of a patio screen door next to the side of a barn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jetbuff
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyvic:
Why am I losing performce Chuck? Surely trim is just like applying a bit of stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cause you are inducing drag by using the entire elevator surface as opposed to just the the tabs. Try it out. You should see an increase in speed and retention.

WV </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that is a false assumption. The trim tabs (when that is what is modelled - e.g. the 109 should have an adjustable tailplane) actually deflect opposite to the intended direction forcing the rest of the control surface to be pushed in the oposite direction. There should be minimal, if any, difference in the surface area presented to drag.

i.e. to trim nose-heavy, the trim tab goes up causing the elevator to get deflected down due to the impact of the oncoming airflow on the raised trim tab.

In the sim, you do get better speed from a trimmed level plane though because the input is much more constant - while you may not be aware of it, holding the stick in any position will invariably introduce some input fluctuations, which naturally incur a higher drag penalty than constant input.

El Turo
03-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M2morris
03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
All the time. My cessna instructor joked: "Hey if you wanna climb you CAN use the yoke instead of the trim"

msalama
03-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Constantly. The only way to fly.

LEBillfish
03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
only when I fly..........

leitmotiv
03-11-2006, 11:39 PM
The father of a friend of mine flew Hellcats in WWII. He never got into a dogfight, but he was operational in the Pacific, and flew off a carrier. I asked him about his trimming the Cat because I had become a fetishist about trim. He completely deflated me by telling me nobody he knew ever trimmed the Cat except while on cross country flights in the U.S.! Now I use elevator trim in combat, but I prefer to fly with all tabs in neutral in aircraft which do not go wiggy without elevator trim (like the Hurricane---without elevator trim its snout reaches for the sky, ditto J8A).

Tully__
03-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Any time I'm flying constant speed/direction (including climb/descent) for more than 5-10 seconds, trim for those conditions.

The-Pizza-Man
03-12-2006, 01:02 AM
I trim whenever I want a stable aeroplane. So that includes, takeoff, climb, cruise, combat and landing. Trimming for landing is especially important as it allows you to keep a constant approach speed and control your rate of decent with the throttle. In combat I use it mostly when I'm diving on an unsuspecting plane so as to have a fairly neutral stick position so I can shoot accurately.

msalama
03-12-2006, 01:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">only when I fly.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I _do_ trim my nosehair every now and then, and I'm definitely not flying when I do that... HTH http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

alert_1
03-12-2006, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
only when I fly.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gooooood one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Grue_
03-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I use elevator trim the time.

Just wish I had it on a slider http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

LEBillfish
03-12-2006, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
The father of a friend of mine flew Hellcats in WWII. He never got into a dogfight, but he was operational in the Pacific, and flew off a carrier. I asked him about his trimming the Cat because I had become a fetishist about trim. He completely deflated me by telling me nobody he knew ever trimmed the Cat except while on cross country flights in the U.S.! Now I use elevator trim in combat, but I prefer to fly with all tabs in neutral in aircraft which do not go wiggy without elevator trim (like the Hurricane---without elevator trim its snout reaches for the sky, ditto J8A). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like a fun way to do things yet I REALLY do NOT advise it for the following reason.

Real life trim tabs were set so that once in "cruise mode" or at some point the plane should be very close to trim...........Trouble is, we never seem to reach that condition here it more like the tabs are WAY out of position.

If you want to fly that way I think it's great, yet to REALLY be realistic to match how your friends father did and the conditions he flew under do the following......Learn each planes trim settings for a cruise condition..(ex. 14 taps down elevator/11 right rudder/2 down left aileron)....and before you take off set them that way then leave them alone. Now you're flying the same condition as your friends father.

That is also how I do it myself, yet in contrast will tweak on occassion dependant upon the situation/condition.

Bearcat99
03-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Aileron trim I only use if I have a damaged wing...

Elevator trim I use pretty much constantly.

Rudder trim I use as I adjust my throttle depending on the plane.

HeinzBar
03-12-2006, 01:21 PM
S!,
From what I see online on a daily basis, trim is used as much as the actual stick to get the most performance out of a plane. Do I agree that it's historical relative to what I see online? No. Recently, there has been rash of the 'trim-sliding exploit' online. It's probably been there the entire time, but I'm actually seeing it more and more now. I honestly wish we were back to 3.04m(?) in regards to trim control. I hate the fact that so many people are now using the trim-on-a-slider exploit. While I know it's more realistic the way trim is currently modeled, I hate the fact that so many people abuse the ability of their HOTAS to perform the 'slides'. I honestly think going back to 3.04 style trim would be better for the online environment regardless if it's coop or dogfight. For online competition, the trim-sliders have a definite advantage which takes away from game-play imho.

HB

Tully__
03-12-2006, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HeinzBar:
S!,
From what I see online on a daily basis, trim is used as much as the actual stick to get the most performance out of a plane. Do I agree that it's historical relative to what I see online? No. Recently, there has been rash of the 'trim-sliding exploit' online. It's probably been there the entire time, but I'm actually seeing it more and more now. I honestly wish we were back to 3.04m(?) in regards to trim control. I hate the fact that so many people are now using the trim-on-a-slider exploit. While I know it's more realistic the way trim is currently modeled, I hate the fact that so many people abuse the ability of their HOTAS to perform the 'slides'. I honestly think going back to 3.04 style trim would be better for the online environment regardless if it's coop or dogfight. For online competition, the trim-sliders have a definite advantage which takes away from game-play imho.

HB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Trim doesn't respond any quicker to a slider than it does to keyboard if you hold down the trim key, it's just easier for those using a slider to apply it.

FritzGryphon
03-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Elevator trim, whenever there's a drastic speed change, or when I'm landing.

Or whenever the ground rushes up at 700km/h+ in a 109.

GreyBeast
03-12-2006, 04:34 PM
...all the time...

in fact, so much I have callous skin on my thumb, thanks to my X45.

SeaFireLIV
03-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Trim... what a pain, eh? first i heard about it, I resolved to never use it. i don`t need no stinking trim...

But here I am using it 24/7 whenever I fly.

Another learning experience from IL2... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

willyvic
03-12-2006, 05:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyvic:

WV </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that is a false assumption. The trim tabs (when that is what is modelled - e.g. the 109 should have an adjustable tailplane) actually deflect opposite to the intended direction forcing the rest of the control surface to be pushed in the oposite direction. There should be minimal, if any, difference in the surface area presented to drag.

i.e. to trim nose-heavy, the trim tab goes up causing the elevator to get deflected down due to the impact of the oncoming airflow on the raised trim tab.

In the sim, you do get better speed from a trimmed level plane though because the input is much more constant - while you may not be aware of it, holding the stick in any position will invariably introduce some input fluctuations, which naturally incur a higher drag penalty than constant input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will agree to disagree then. I do not think it is a false assumption. Less surface area = less drag in my thinking. Not here to argue and I do see that you think there might be a chance of increased drag without tabs. See ya in the skies.

WV.

Tully__
03-12-2006, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:

WV </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the sim, you do get better speed from a trimmed level plane though because the input is much more constant - while you may not be aware of it, holding the stick in any position will invariably introduce some input fluctuations, which naturally incur a higher drag penalty than constant input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will agree to disagree then. I do not think it is a false assumption. Less surface area = less drag in my thinking. Not here to argue and I do see that you think there might be a chance of increased drag without tabs. See ya in the skies.

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Use of trim would (in theory) results in slightly more drag than just using the stick. Because the trim tab deflects in the opposite direction to the primary control surface, the trimmed primary control must be deflected slighty more by the trim tab than by stick alone to achieve the same effectiveness. In practice the difference is negligible and in the sim the many small deviations from a steady input applied by most pilots generally result in more drag than trim alone.

El Turo
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Willy,

With all due respect, where I think you're disconnecting is that all trim tabs really do are to reposition the control surface anyway (by way of deflecting oncoming airflow). Trim tabs are not a seperate control surface or otherwise seperate from your control surfaces.

Jetbuff was for all intents and purposes, correct. Plus, as Tully has laid out, trim tabs create additional drag (if you really want to get nitpicky.. heh).. BUT.. controlling with just your stick will lead to uneven drag and therefore a less effecient travel through the air.

LT.INSTG8R
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
I trim constantly (elevator and rudder) as Im on a level bombing kick at the moment so stability is key,not to mention I use it to climb so I set it to say 5m/min climb in a 111 or 88 for example.
Now I DO have these on sliders and I guess(and I have asked before) HOW do I get the trim wheels to move in less drastic ways i.e. large adjustments, I have tryed filtering VERY small curves:
1RX=0 1 3 6 12 21 32 44 61 81 100 30
1RY=0 1 3 6 12 21 32 44 61 81 100 30
yet I have never found a "smooth" setup so Im not basically 2 fingering it to make ultra minute adjustments. I dont want the"Trim on a slider exploit" I want fine adjusting trim.

tomtheyak
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El Turo:
Willy,

With all due respect, where I think you're disconnecting is that all trim tabs really do are to reposition the control surface anyway (by way of deflecting oncoming airflow). Trim tabs are not a seperate control surface or otherwise seperate from your control surfaces.

Jetbuff was for all intents and purposes, correct. Plus, as Tully has laid out, trim tabs create additional drag (if you really want to get nitpicky.. heh).. BUT.. controlling with just your stick will lead to uneven drag and therefore a less effecient travel through the air.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Thats what my RAF powered glider instructor told me!

willyvic
03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El Turo:
Willy,

Jetbuff was for all intents and purposes, correct. Plus, as Tully has laid out, trim tabs create additional drag (if you really want to get nitpicky.. heh).. BUT.. controlling with just your stick will lead to uneven drag and therefore a less effecient travel through the air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No disrepect taken. I understand the principles of trimmed flight. In that any deflection by any surface will induce drag. I also understand that one intent of trimming is to relieve the pilot of strenuous activity during normal flight. Again, I did not want to argue the intricacies of trimmed flight as it effects hinge moment and stick forces. An arguement, not heated mind you, that I have had with many pilots during instruction.

I agree with all who have replied to this portion of the thread. My only intent was to explain, in basic terms, why the poster may see and increase in performance through the use of trim. That using primary elevator surface inputs to try and maintain trimmed flight is, for the most part, counter productive. I probably should not of been so off the cuff simplistic.

I thank all for their interest, input, and clarifying explanations.

WV.

ImpStarDuece
03-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Incessantly

BfHeFwMe
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
It's simplified and has some flaws. Easy to demonstrate, do a takeoff roll on the ground starting with full nose up trim. Wiggle the stick a bit, feel the force, it shouldn't be. Try with ailerons.

Your far under minum air control speeds, your elevator isn't even airworthy yet, not enough speed, yet trim has a force impact on it.

Trim has far to much of a slow speed effect on flight. The slower flight regimes a pilot is suppose to have full control authority, no way they ever designed a small plane with this kind of trim ability, especially a fighter that required manouverability through slow and medium speeds.

Why would you bother trimming when smashing a pattern around a boat, or an airfield? At least you wouldn't in the real world. Unless you had an adjustable stab for trim, than it becomes critical for slow flight.

Vassago5k
03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm a bit off course with the detail you guys are getting into, but why is it that many planes simply DON'T allow you to adjust trim?

I've tried trimming the Ki-84, Bf-109F and a few others, and they don't allow me to adjust the aileron trim. Is this normal or a bug of some kind? I'm used to adjusting aileron and elevator trim constantly, from playing Lock On. But it's really annoying when engine torque takes over in IL2, and I can't adjust it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Tully__
03-13-2006, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vassago5k:
I'm a bit off course with the detail you guys are getting into, but why is it that many planes simply DON'T allow you to adjust trim?

I've tried trimming the Ki-84, Bf-109F and a few others, and they don't allow me to adjust the aileron trim. Is this normal or a bug of some kind? I'm used to adjusting aileron and elevator trim constantly, from playing Lock On. But it's really annoying when engine torque takes over in IL2, and I can't adjust it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The real aircraft didn't have in-flight adjustable trim on those control surfaces, so the matching planes in the sim don't.

joeap
03-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Because some planes like the 109 only had elevator trim, no rudder or aileron trim IRL. You just have to compensate. Others did. Modern planes (like Lock On) have full trimming.

Edit: Should have known Tully is on the job. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Beirut
03-13-2006, 04:14 AM
After takeoff I adjust trim when I reach my cruising/average combat speed, and when landing.

If my A2A takes places in the 300-400kph range, I'll trim in the upper half of that. I don't trim unless I get a noticeable bob when letting go of the stick.

(I am by no means a trim management master. I use it simply to fly comfortably.)

Vassago5k
03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
The real aircraft didn't have in-flight adjustable trim on those control surfaces, so the matching planes in the sim don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, I was afraid of that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I play sims for fun, not historical accuracy. I guess I was hoping for a way around it. Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Treetop64
03-13-2006, 10:07 AM
German Planes: Elevator trim gets almost as much use as the stick and rudder itself.

American Planes: Set the trim for the rudder and ailerons on level flight, trim the elevators as needed for maneuvering and aiming. (like the German planes).

DarkCanuck420
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
trim? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Viper2005_
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Because the stick forces are pretty light with my Cougar, and because I rarely need to take my hands off the controls (no squawks or radio frequencies to write down or change etc) I find that I use trim far less in IL2 than when flying IRL. I very rarely use aileron or rudder trim, because I find that the aeroplanes in game don't tend to need them much.

OTOH, I'd pay good money for cockpit adjustable rudder and aileron trim in my C-152...

Swivet
03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Whenever i do my laundry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif..........or when just cruising or tilting and or landing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

KrashanTopolova
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Is the Helldiver flyable yet...now there's an aircraft that would not tolerate trim when you moved the stick...

Treetop64
03-13-2006, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarkCanuck420:
trim? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh...

Polikarpov drivers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif