PDA

View Full Version : The mindset I fly in...

PBNA-Boosher
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."
-Hub, in Secondhand Lions

This is the way I fly online. Chivalrous, righteous, and honorable. I feel it necessary to maintain my moral system this way.
To what degree do you feel that honor in a dogfight should be upheld? Are you just in it for the points, or do you view it as deadly sportsmanship, or something completly different altogether?

Share your thoughts, please.

PBNA-Boosher
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."
-Hub, in Secondhand Lions

This is the way I fly online. Chivalrous, righteous, and honorable. I feel it necessary to maintain my moral system this way.
To what degree do you feel that honor in a dogfight should be upheld? Are you just in it for the points, or do you view it as deadly sportsmanship, or something completly different altogether?

Share your thoughts, please.

Dolemite-
05-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I was under the impression that this was a game though I could be wrong.

gkll
05-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeah I'm pretty much with you there... that quote you posted seems like a rule set I use as part of who I am. We tell ourselves myths about who we are, and repeat them religiously... and in this way they take on truth. So pick some good myths about what is important in the world, and who you are in it, and try and make it all real.

Anyway as for the game I don't fly a lot, but when I do... I tend to the "no chute shooting, vulching, kill stealing, or lurking around runways" style, and as for tactics I may choose to engage multiple higher E enemies instead of picking off cripples from the furball... all very foolish decisions, all of them. I wouldn't have had the luxury in RL.... but in the game why not? Call me a spit noob if you want, but at my average skill level the above tactics get me killed a lot...

but I feel no desire for others to fly in my fashion, who cares? People can fly however they want, it is interesting to try and see the person behind the style.

diomedes33
05-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I approach it like any other game/sport I play, with sportsmanship and respect for the other side. If I see target plane start to pump black smoke I usually let it go and regain my altitude. However if they try to turn on me, I'll engage again (situation permitting). If he doesn't respect his own virtual life why should I?

One thing that bugs me about online df, 50% of the people think they are heros and will always put in that last hurrah, even though they just got their @$$es handed to them (I wish I was handing out more than getting handed too, but oh well). I once drug a smoking spitfire about 20 km back to my base. He almost made it before a group of 109s ripped it apart like a pack of wild dogs.

On the other hand, I've been called a coward more than a couple times because I'll disengage as soon as I see a fuel leak. My favorite was some guy told me, "Look at the run ninety go, go back to mamma you pansy." In my defense, fuel leaks are sort of a big deal in a 190.

I guess it all boils down to fly as you want, but if you're gonna be a hero don't expect to triumph.

Freelancer-1
05-14-2005, 02:53 AM
Different mind set for different rooms.

DF with no squad-mates my mind is in AirQuake mode.

DF with squaddies, it us against the world.

Coop is follow leaders, follow orders, fly right and make sure everyone comes home.

It doesn't make sense to me to try and play with chivalry when your in a room full of point *****s, rammers, kill stealers and team killers. But when I'm flying with team mates or in a co-op the dynamic changes and I want to be a part of the greater good. I put the (virtual) life of my men ahead of trying to be a (usually dead) cowboy. For me this is a far more important aspect to immersion than all the graphics, FMs, DMs, etc, put together.

My two bits, Freelancer

MEGILE
05-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I just like to make things go boom.
MK-108s help me do that.

Jagdklinger
05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I just like to make things go boom.
MK-108s help me do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was under the impression that this was a game though I could be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

It's just a game, and it's meant to be FUN.

(a) I reserve the right to strafe chutes occasionally - it's an amusing diversion
(b) instantly respond to a team-mates in distress, unless you can make a kill shot in the next 2 seconds
(c) by all means chase and shoot down crippled foes;hey, fireballs ARE more fun. Viva la Mk108!
(d) they ARE your enemies. If you wanna shoot them up when they are at maximum disadvantage (i.e. on the ground), then more power to you
(e) feel free to use the best (i.e. 'n00b') weapons/planes if you want, screw the snobs (not that I can fly an La7 anyway...)

F19_Ob
05-14-2005, 04:30 AM
I dont have any real guidelines exept from just being me, but I normally fly with some idea or test in the back of my head though. Most of the time I just concentrate on keeping my mates alive as long as I can. When its possible I let a seriously damaged enemy go.
I have flown too often when too tired and with barely just enough brainpower to follow and keep track of my wingie.

Regarding bad nehavior online I think of myself as having a too easy time since I seldom get angry or agitated negatively and many of the guys I flown with get anoyed now and then, or quite often, wich actually is the normal thing. I'm used to people with hot temperaments so I'm not bothered with the common effects.
I'm just happy most of my mates accept my lameness and in return I allow ample room for temperament-related mistakes.

People are different and complex, I like that.
I think chivalry and sportsmanship is a good aim but randomly achievable and depending on situation (and maybe testosteron level?).
I have sometimes complained about the lack of sportsmanship, but then I remember that my own ideas and aims also differ and some times defy logic.
Sportsmanship to me has been to be on the disadvantage side in a crapier ride than the opposition, and that in itself is a pretty crazy, although humorous idea.
I enjoy winning fights but a fun sortie with good mates a lot more.
That makes me think my winning instinct must be lower than most, or most perhaps are loners online and never have been part of the great comraderie I have.

a reasonably happy sod. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

OD_79
05-14-2005, 04:53 AM
It all depends who I am flying with and who I am flying against...I'm willing to take on any plane all the time, regardless of the advantage/disadvantage I'm at. I always give it 100%. I can find it difficult to hold back from blasting the hell out of people on the ground...where's the realism in letting them take off to shoot you! If it is a competitive match then no one is spared, they are shot until something vital goes..ie a wing/pilot/explosion. But fun matches should be approached differently, I don't vulch I don't shoot the parachute, kill steal or anything else, I play as part of a team, and though we are relatively new to IL2/PF we are improving rapidly, it's not about the individual performances it is about the team as a whole, that is what I fly for.

Airmail109
05-14-2005, 05:47 AM
When im online im in hunting mode........single mindedly looking for quarry. an when I do find em I fight dirty.....no chivalry here.....i always try to attack with an advantage....then when i do get on thier 6 and hit them im like "eat lead biatch" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif.....some days I have a laugh tho....toying with my pray like a cat......and bleeding e for the fun of it while in dog fights like dropping my undercariage whilst in a scissors manuver...but most of the time i hunt my pray.

and u dont want to know how **** fun it is to vulch bases with harvars in a p-38....... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

My goal is to stay alive on DF severs so I will try not to get into DFs where Im at a disadvantage....the best pilots of WWII didint....I wont either....

reverendkrv1972
05-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm usually flying apparently 'inferior' planes to my opposing forces,always trying to get people on my team to work together(even on the easy-arcade-noob-setting-DF servers,which are fun aswell as the FR 'server'(read warbirds_PF)
I only fly standalone as i dont have AEP.
I dont Vuilch,unless someone is doint it incessently,then given the oppurtunity he will get vulched by me untill he learns/leaves(this is only on my friends servers where the host does'nt like vulchers)
I couldn't count how many kills i've left to go help a wingman,sometimes to have my kill gain an advantage over me,but when said wingman returns the favour,it's Great! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll always try to help the new guys too,which is one of the reasons I dont fly FR all the time.

keep the rubber facing down,

Rev

-HH-Quazi
05-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Hub....I loved his charactor in that movie "SecondHand Lions". Awesome movie imho. As far as flying, I fly to have fun and to try to respect the words and feelings of those around me that fly with me regularly. I have been fortunate to meet and fly many m8's that read and post on these forums. I haven't ran across anyone that wasn't a hoot to know and fly with, and just as respectful of others as I try to be.

Lucius_Esox
05-14-2005, 06:29 AM
I play fair until the time I see someone else not, then neither do I.

With respect to the original poster integrity in this game can make you feel better about yourself, but it is only a game, full stop..

Anything else is borderline mental illness.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
05-14-2005, 06:30 AM
I try to keep my virtual butt alive and I try to treat otjer virtual pilots the same way I would want to be treated. I dont do pilots in chutes.... if a pilot islanding I let him go or if he is badly wounded let him go. If I see another pilot on a kill or often if I am the pilot on a kill and someone comes between me and the kill I back off rather than shoot down the friendly. etc etc etc I'm feeling you.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Like ob, I just try to be myself. Sometimes, that can be different. If I'm not being exceptionally competitive i'm usually laughing.

I do this for fun...cause I like it.

Sometimes while goofing off with friends, I'll "pop" them in their chutes...or shoot them while they're landing. Sometimes, It's an all out 5-ship element going in for a HARD jabo sortie. Other times, it's cruising at 5k looking for the "moles" to pop their heads out so I can whack them.

I've said it before, but although I know this is a game (yes, and a sim) I like to live vicariously through it and try to imagine similar RL scenarios. No disrespect intended for the trials and hardships ALL went through in RL and, no, I'm not delusional but I used to dream about being able to do this and chances are this is as close as I'll ever come to doing it...that is of course unless I get that time machine operational, finances straight, and my "invulnerability" turned on.

TB