PDA

View Full Version : How many steps does it take to Quit?

dagrommit
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Before you watch this video, take a guess at how many clicks/keypresses it takes to quit AC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 01:58 PM
MUHAHA! I WAS RIGHT! RIGHT! RIGHT!

I just guessed it was <span class="ev_code_white">11</span> because it seemed unlikely and people usually say stuff like that to make you think it's not it but I like made a time paradox by not doing it.

I rule.

phelsen
04-13-2008, 03:23 PM
i do it without clicks, just 1 time alt + f4 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

my question, how many clicks did U made during the making of this video????? u could have exitted ac many many times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

loved the video tough

dagrommit
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by phelsen:
my question, how many clicks did U made during the making of this video?????

None - I don't even own the game. In terms of design, there's absolutely NO reason why they needed more than six clicks to exit the game cleanly. And those slow to load screens make things even worse.

Cirap
04-14-2008, 04:30 AM
the process of quitting the game is actually the only thing I don't like about AC. at first all that running down the hill from your Master was annoying, but after like two missions you could just do the time warp

Beerlake
04-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Only one step. ALT+F4

caswallawn_2k7
04-14-2008, 06:41 AM
the load screens are only up about 3 or 4 seconds and my CPU isnt exactly top end.

the_assassin_07
04-14-2008, 06:42 AM
^^^^

Yeah if people had an IQ bigger than my little finger they would know that. Well, in fact you don't even need an IQ, you just need to read the instruction manual >.>

*edit* Post was meant for beerlake.

Adaram64
04-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Umm...

Why don't you just hit ALT-F4? One step exit.

or...

ALT - ENTER to go to windowed mode, and then click the little X in the top corner. Two step exit.

dagrommit
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Some of you are missing the point - that this process is just BAD DESIGN. Combine this with the lack of named saves, and it's obvious this was a minimal effort console port.

Yes, Alt-F4 will work, but do we really need to be asked TWICE whenever we want to do something?

dacoolstas
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by thegrommit:
Some of you are missing the point - that this process is just BAD DESIGN. Combine this with the lack of named saves, and it's obvious this was a minimal effort console port.

Yes, Alt-F4 will work, but do we really need to be asked TWICE whenever we want to do something?

what? just because the menu is not as quick for exiting that makes it a lousy port? you must be joking...look at the gameplay its the most important part of the port. Look around, do you see anyone complaining about gameplay? no, just controls and menus. Is it really that hard to press alt + f4? I would rather take better gameplay then fancy exit buttons anyday.
nitpicking on menu's is completely pointless

dagrommit
04-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by dacoolstas:
what? just because the menu is not as quick for exiting that makes it a lousy port?

Um, did you miss the bit about lack of named saves? Let's add unskippable cut scenes. These are all traits from a console. And yes, there are plenty of complaints about repetitive gameplay (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=129816) - but that's not due to the games console roots.

caswallawn_2k7
04-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by thegrommit:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dacoolstas:
what? just because the menu is not as quick for exiting that makes it a lousy port?

Um, did you miss the bit about lack of named saves? Let's add unskippable cut scenes. These are all traits from a console. And yes, there are plenty of complaints about repetitive gameplay (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=129816) - but that's not due to the games console roots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
name 10 pc games that dont get repetative and the cut sceens make the game as it plays out the story if you want a game that is nothing more than action why dont you get a game with no story like UT3. as for the lack of named saves why do you even need named saves? you can make sevral players so multiple people can play game and then when you compleate the game you can go back to any memory block anyway.

gaspah
04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Originally posted by Adaram64:</span>
Umm...

I 2nd that.. people messin with that gui garbage then complaining about it are just silly...

ALT - ENTER to go to windowed mode, and then click the little X in the top corner. Two step exit.
whoa whoa whoa whoa... dont get all tricky on me.

dacoolstas
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
i just cant beleive someone would be so picky on such little things.

whoa whoa whoa whoa... dont get all tricky on me.

i lol'd my azz off. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Milarichani
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't say that the Alt-f4 solution was very intuitive. I've plenty of PC games for which that won't work. It certainly wasn't in the manual, I had to come online to find that solution. The fact that I went online to find out about exiting the game as a troubleshooting issue doesn't say much good. Avid fans can say "stop whining," yet it does speak to underlying issues that should be addressed in the future. At least include the alt-f4 solution as clearly stated option in the manual and the key-bindings. The 11 step exit is beyond the pale, it rivals the Witcher when trying to take a ferry (do you want to take a ferry? yes. do you want to spend 5 gold on the ferry? yes. do you want to go on the ferry right now? yes.... watching cutscene... watching cutscene of the other side....).

The cut scenes are another matter. They are gameplay. There is a problem in the gameplay and it is the fact that the cutscenes are too integrated. So are some of the the fancy camera shots. The first two times I tried to assassinate the arms dealer I was up on a platform, then the game siezes the camera denies me the use of the hud and strands me up on the platform. It doesn't even matter if there is a way that I am supposed to get off the platform that some teenager is going ot ridicule me for; the fact is the camera style often (read OFTEN) interferes with the gamer's ability to control their character. This does not lead to immersion, it leads to the feeling that the player is in conflict with the controls of the game.

I do really love the assassin parts of the game. I played up the arms dealer assassination and began to realize that I had missed a lot of stuff. "No problem," says I, "I'll just start again as I'm not very far in. Then I discovered that none of the cut scenes were skipable, worse some required baby sitting (can't just go get a cup of tea). No abilty to change the outcome, but I still had to play the mouthy anti-establishment malcontent ex-assassin bartender. A twenty something backtalking anti-hero, oh be still my heart. The heights of storytelling are causing me to gasp. A thousand years and still just a jerk. If the character was at least marginally complex I would have been less offended. Watching these cut scenes is like having the author of a book that I am reading determine how quickly I can turn the pages.

In restarting the game I realized that it took me an hour to get back out the the kingdom. Maybe ten minutes actually playing the game the rest of the time watching TV waiting for the master to stop talking. I knew that when he killed the bozo-hero it was too good to be true. Any chance of a non-narcissist hero next time Montreal?

KlNDRED
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
When i play on my xbox 360. I exit the memory and as its loading the animus, I turn off my X360.
But yes, it is kinda ******ed

Adaram64
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
The title of the post says "How many steps does it take to quit?" On that topic, I am fairly confident that, like it or not, ALT-F4 or just closing the window in windowed mode are quite acceptable, irrespective of the fact that it wasn't well documented.

This thread is wandering a bit, but I don't disagree with some of the cutscene points that people have raised. I haven't had to restart the game yet, however, knowing I'll have to watch all that again certainly gives me pause to do so.

I, too, would love to be able to "Save Game" wherever I can. Someone in here made that point.

Be that as it may, I can't imagine we are going to get changes of this magnitude from Ubisoft...at lease I don't imagine we will. So I am just going to live with what is there and thoroughly enjoy the awesome graphics and cool gameplay!!

Adaram64
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by gaspah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><span class="ev_code_BLUE">Originally posted by Adaram64:</span>
Umm...

I 2nd that.. people messin with that gui garbage then complaining about it are just silly...

whoa whoa whoa whoa... dont get all tricky on me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tee Hee!! I laughed when I read your post!! I'll try not get get so complicated. I just figured that folks that knew how to hold SHIFT-F-RMouse and LMouse all at the same time might be able to handle it!

KlNDRED
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Adaram64:
Be that as it may, I can't imagine we are going to get changes of this magnitude from Ubisoft...at lease I don't imagine we will.
changes of this magnitude? We are talking about skipping cutscenes and saving whenever we want. That should be a basic for any game of this kind lol

dagrommit
04-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Adaram64:
I'll try not get get so complicated. I just figured that folks that knew how to hold SHIFT-F-RMouse and LMouse all at the same time might be able to handle it!

Um, it's an apparently undocumented way to do it, and there have been reports of savegames becoming corrupted when its used. So sure, go ahead and feel smug as you overwrite any progress you've made. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7
name 10 pc games that dont get repetative

Just because its common, doesn't mean its right. I'll note that I wasn't the one who brought up gameplay - dacoolstas was.

Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7
and the cut sceens make the game as it plays out the story

Watching them once or twice is fine. Watching them every time I want to replay a section? Not fun.

as for the lack of named saves why do you even need named saves?

Ahh, now I see why you don't understand - probably a console newb. Named saves allow for easy retries through different paths.

caswallawn_2k7
04-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm no console noob and alot of people can confirm that my first pc I played games on had a 75mhz cpu 4meg of ram and a 800meg hard drive. I have been playing games on pc for years people who need to constantly keep replaying a part till you get it 100% games are ment to be fun and something to do if you cant take loosing once in a while you realy shouldnt be playing them.

thelordbeans
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I normally exit to the annulus, so I'm fairly confident it has saved, and then alt-F4. When I've already exited the annulus, I always try to wait to get back in before I exit, 'cause I'm scared it hasn't saved (by the way, I find the parts outside the annulus to be boring, especially since the dialog takes forever because of some sound glitches I have - which is weird, because I really really love the ancestor cinematics, despite the sound glitch).

benjfranklin
04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
i wait until i see "saving" at the bottom and wait a few seconds and Alt+F4

takes about .000002 seconds. never lost any saved data.

drego5
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
@thelordbeans:

ANIMUS!!! For Pete's sake, it's ANIMUS!!! Like "animal" but with US behind it!

You know, like a group of lonely farmers. ;-)

dacoolstas
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by drego5:
@thelordbeans:

ANIMUS!!! For Pete's sake, it's ANIMUS!!! Like "animal" but with US behind it!

You know, like a group of lonely farmers. ;-)

LMFAO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Acindo
04-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Wait a minute.. you mean you actually can exit the game without pressing alt+f4?

At best I get back to the main menu that says "press any button" then it brings up my saved games.. I never did see an exit, I have always used alt+f4 to quit.

caswallawn_2k7
04-17-2008, 04:57 AM
if you go back into your user neam there is a option to exit on the bottom left it seems when you quit the anumus it kicks you too far back in the menue to exit why ubi couldnt of just put a exit on one of the earlier windows is a bit strange altho so is them not adding a option to quit to desktop.

jeremyofmany
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Although this is off topic I will contribute.

The gameplay is more repetitive than most games.
However, you can call any game where you do the same thing at least 3 times are repetitive.

Killing a room full of monsters/soldiers in any FPS.
Collecting gold coins and stomping on turtles in Mario.

While Assassin's Creed is a beautiful game, it is more repetitive than you'd expect. All you do throughout the game is:
Reach view points
Assassinate guards
Pickpocket
Eavesdrop
Save citizens
Collect flags or destroy merchant stands in a time limit
Kill the main argets to reach a cutscene that brings you a little closer to forming a more solid perspective on the game's ending.

Although I did love playing the game, it would have been much better if:

Each city had different objectives.
The objectives or number of guards you had to kill changed if you were killed or failed or replayed the mission.

Then you have the people saying the same thing constantly:

"Who is responsible for this!?" I heard hundreds of times. It was annoying.

drego5
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by jeremyofmany:
Then you have the people saying the same thing constantly:

"Who is responsible for this!?" I heard hundreds of times. It was annoying.

It's not so annoying when you're still standing over the bodies with your longsword in hand. Then you're just wondering how stupid the guards are, wondering how long it'll take them to realize that you're not the Scholar you appear to be.