PDA

View Full Version : Wait a Minute! Something's Right Here?

RocketRobin__
07-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I haven't flow combat in the last few weeks.
Since it's Summertime, I like to kick back on the bicycles. Road bikes, All Moutain, WTF.

Anyhow, since the new patch is out, why not take a zip in the old beer can, eh?

The reduction of the snap roll tendencies in the Wildcat is a huge step forward.
Most other fighter planes are sleeker looking, and some even have more engines. However, the fact remains that the kill/death ratio of the Wildcat was 19 VS 1.

19 VS 1 ain't gonna happen in a big online server, 'cause they won't allow me access to that plane.
I like that. When a squadron commander is afraid to deploy lesser grade, early model planes to protect the morale of his group.

Nobody wants to get shot down by a Wildcat. If it should happen, morale could crumble. After all, most pilots fly the fanciest planes they can get their hands on.
The last thing a squadron commander needs is one of his aces crying in his lap and asking what shade of taupe his Spitfire should be.

I like what you've done with the Wildcat. IMO, it will remain a rare bird on most servers.

Rocket

RocketRobin__
07-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I haven't flow combat in the last few weeks.
Since it's Summertime, I like to kick back on the bicycles. Road bikes, All Moutain, WTF.

Anyhow, since the new patch is out, why not take a zip in the old beer can, eh?

The reduction of the snap roll tendencies in the Wildcat is a huge step forward.
Most other fighter planes are sleeker looking, and some even have more engines. However, the fact remains that the kill/death ratio of the Wildcat was 19 VS 1.

19 VS 1 ain't gonna happen in a big online server, 'cause they won't allow me access to that plane.
I like that. When a squadron commander is afraid to deploy lesser grade, early model planes to protect the morale of his group.

Nobody wants to get shot down by a Wildcat. If it should happen, morale could crumble. After all, most pilots fly the fanciest planes they can get their hands on.
The last thing a squadron commander needs is one of his aces crying in his lap and asking what shade of taupe his Spitfire should be.

I like what you've done with the Wildcat. IMO, it will remain a rare bird on most servers.

Rocket

new-fherathras
07-01-2005, 03:51 AM
aye

Billy_BigBoy
07-01-2005, 04:22 AM
He's got a point here...

VW-IceFire
07-01-2005, 07:07 AM
I was pleased when people at first put the FM-2 in there. Its a good plane in the right hands and less people know what it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Some servers let you fly the FM-2. Definately a nice plane...bit slow but against the right opposition its just fine.

Equilizer
07-01-2005, 11:19 AM
The Wildcat had a 6.9:1 kill ratio, the Hellcat had a 19:1 kill ratio.

Pretty much the durability and speed advantage, in addition to more poorly trained Japanese pilots, while more of the trained/seasoned American pilots is what led to the kill ratio being so high.

Not just the plane's performance itself is why the ratio was so high.

DeerHunterUK
07-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Well I for 1 like the Wildcat (and the Buffalo for the matter) and large amount of ammuntion (F4F-3 & FM-2) it carries. Looking at IL2 Compare it's very similar in performance to the Spitfire V lowdown which can't be a bad thing.

MLudner
07-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, actually I am not a fan of the Wildcat, but I do fly it in combat. Currently my USMC pilot is saddled with one, and after Midway so will my Navy pilot (He flies Buffaloes). The Wildcat is the a/c I get most unnerved in as I close with the faster and more agile Japanese fighters. At least the Buffalo can compete on the agility side.
I am much happier when my USAAF pilot in his Aircobra runs into them; at least he can go faster. If onna the little beggars makes a maneuver I can't stick to, just punch it.
Try that in a Wildcat.
But, then the Wildcat is great to fly, very easy to handle. It's just, it's such a brick. Flies slow and turns wide, climbs poorly. Dives fast ... but then, you can only dive so far before you run out of sky.

arcadeace
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeerHunterUK:
Well I for 1 like the Wildcat (and the Buffalo for the matter) and large amount of ammuntion (F4F-3 & FM-2) it carries. Looking at IL2 Compare it's very similar in performance to the Spitfire V lowdown which can't be a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To get a kill in a Buffalo is worth 5 in a Mustang. Even making it back to base is plenty rewarding. Non-uber planes can give the most fulfillment.

Brass_Monkey
07-13-2005, 08:58 PM
You drink Beer out of a can http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif! Rocket?