PDA

View Full Version : I'm Out of Ammo...eek

skissors
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm currently playing The superb campaign Hurricane Season.

But i'm finding with the Hurricane's Pea Shooter, it takes all my ammo to shoot down 1 fighter.
Forget about it when it comes to trying to take out bombers, i can get them smoking , before I run out of peas or one of their sharp shooting sniper gunners take me out.

Any ideas on how to make the most of your ammo especialy against the bombers.

skissors
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM

But i'm finding with the Hurricane's Pea Shooter, it takes all my ammo to shoot down 1 fighter.
Forget about it when it comes to trying to take out bombers, i can get them smoking , before I run out of peas or one of their sharp shooting sniper gunners take me out.

Any ideas on how to make the most of your ammo especialy against the bombers.

MadRuski
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
the best advice to give is make sure to shoot when you are sure its gonna hit!, dont just blast into the air, and take your time with line up, he might be quite close but at a bad angle, wait a few secs to he evens out THEN go for it.

skissors
10-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Cheers for the info,

But I am hitting them most of the time, as bits come flying off.
It just seems like I'm scratching their paint job. I suppose it will annoy them once they get back to base. "Hey!! Who Scratched this!"

VW-IceFire
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
You can down aircraft with the .303s if you do three things:

1) Get very close

2) Aim effectively

3) Have a close convergence setting like 250m or less

Aircraft like the 109E that you typically fight can be brought down in a short burst if you can get it into the engine at close range (like under 200m). With bombers its more tricky...aim for one engine and try and get it damaged. Hope that the bomber crashes. Head on attacks are best as you can put alot of .303 through the glass on a Heinkel.

Online I've seen a Heinkel charge through a swarm of Hurricane IIB (with 12 .303) and come out ripped to shreds but with a pilot still alive and in control. Deflection shooting always causes more damage than dead 6 shooting.

Skycat_2
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Don't shoot straight into the enemy's rear. Try to put your bullets into vital bits like engine, oil cooler, radiator, or the pilot. Easier said than done, I know ...

Decrease your convergence, perhaps, so more bullets are concentrated to where your gunsight is pointed. Hurricanes fire a lot of bullets at once but that might mean that most of your ammo is missing the target. The small bits falling off your enemy's plane isn't a true indication of how much damage you're inflicting on him. Get close because bullets lose energy.

Some planes are easier to down than others.

skissors
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Cheers for all the information.

I will try and get closer on the 109s and Aim for the engine. I usually just try and hit the Fighter, Bombers I go for the engines.

I have my convergence set to 200 usually.

The bombers I try and attack from above then from below. I could never seem to attack straight on, Probably dont have the patients to get myself set up for that.

Is it me or do the gunners on bombers, seem to be the best elite sharp shooters out there.
I'm more scared of them than the fighters.

LEBillfish
10-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't shoot till they go down.......If you get them smoking, hit their fuel, whatever....They're done for, let them go and move onto the next. On bombers hammer just the engines, once smoking move on.....

This is how I play online (which is dumb as you'd be amazed at the number of carps out there)....Yet once I take a plane out of the fight I move onto the next, you'd be amazed at the kill counts.....They just come a number of minutes later http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
10-02-2006, 10:31 PM
When I'm in a Hurri, my goals change.

Against fighters: My goal is to make them incapable of action. Not bring them down, as that normally wastes too much ammo, but damage the plane enough to put it out of a fight.

Against Bombers: Force them to drop their bombload. Once one bomber's done this I move to the next. I may not get a kill, but those bombs don't land on their target, so the enemy's failed his mission.

skissors
10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
When I'm in a Hurri, my goals change.

Against fighters: My goal is to make them incapable of action. Not bring them down, as that normally wastes too much ammo, but damage the plane enough to put it out of a fight.

Against Bombers: Force them to drop their bombload. Once one bomber's done this I move to the next. I may not get a kill, but those bombs don't land on their target, so the enemy's failed his mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What No Glory!

But the guys at the Pub will laugh at me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JamesBlonde888
10-03-2006, 01:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skissors:

Any ideas on how to make the most of your ammo especialy against the bombers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GET CLOSER

DuxCorvan
10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
You can't GET CLOSER with Robocop at the gun station. On the other side, MGs are severely porked in this sim.

But you can still get kills, just don't expect foes to go down in an spiral. Go for the engines, and hope them to smoke, and go. Don't expect much from head-ons, except with He 111 glass-house, since they're usually too fast to land enough hits at vital parts.

Just follow the advices above: smoke and go. And if you spend all your ammo at close distance, get your forehead pierced by seven gunners, and still the thing doesn't smoke, just blame a gunnery/DM system which too heavily favors HE before AP ammo.

In RL, .303 weren't too effective either, but eight of them were enough to down a 109 or TWO without glueing to their tail all day long.

And, believe it or not, obsolescent PZLs downed aircraft. Here they're more like riding a Cessna with a rattle-stick.

R988z
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Hurris actually aren't too bad at bomber interception, set convergence for 150m or so, dive in from on top, try and hit the wing tank, that catches fire real easy, often with a short burst, after that it's just a matter of time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

A short burst of all those mgs at close range really rips the plane to shreds, it's like a death by a thousand cuts, the bomber slowly bleeds to death as it's fuel, hydraulic and oil blood flows out of its wounds...

Once (in a QMB) I came in from above with around four HE-111s flying almost in a horizontal line, I just flew across diagonally and put a decent burst into each one as I wen by on a single fast pass. 5 or 10mins later and they were all dead.

The only problem with this though is that online kill stealers will move in and keep shooting until the e/a explodes or crashes and offline your wingmen will do the same! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

leitmotiv
10-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Two bits of advice regarding the Hurricanes I and IIB: set convergence for 100 meters and shoot when the enemy is at 50. You'll be amazed at how dangerous the humble .303 suddenly becomes. Another matter: against bombers position is everything. Trying to shoot a Heinkel like the AI with long bursts at 300 meters is a waste. Stay out of range, try to pull ahead and to the side and above, and, if you can, strike from the side and shoot at point-blank range. This way you have an excellent chance of living and of crushing the bomber. Against hapless SBs of the Soviets (Finnish Hurricane I), you can just about do as you please, but watch out for the belly gun---it has a narrow arc, but it can be lethal.