PDA

View Full Version : Worst Environmental Disaster America has ever faced...

ARCHIE_CALVERT
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Or

The Disaster that was hyped to the hilt... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/th_Disaster.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/Disaster.jpg)

ARCHIE_CALVERT
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Or

The Disaster that was hyped to the hilt... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/th_Disaster.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/Disaster.jpg)

ploughman
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Gah! Mein eyes, THE MAIL!

Having said that, despite all the hyperbole and the worst corporate shakedown I've ever seen, seems the most damaging aspect of the leak to end all leaks has been the sense that the USA might be a place companies can invest in and do business in without gettting taken to the cleaners as if they were operating in some Banana Republic.

horseback
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
First Katrina, now this.

The mainstream media in the US just cannot pass up an opportunity to sensationalize and then politicize ("why doesn't the President/the Congress/the Coast Guard/Health & Human Services/Environmental Protection Agency do something about this?"), even when 'their guys' are in charge, and anyone who paid any attention to the subject could tell you that the government lacks the expertise and the resources to do anything except impede the progress of those who do.

"This could be another Exxon Valdez!" they shout, and everybody more than two hours' driving distance from the 'disaster' starts sending aid in the form of their old clothes and canned goods and start prayer chains for the poor fishermen who can't find a clean fish to sell (while carefully checking to make sure that any seafood that reaches their own tables comes from Mexico, Thailand or some armpit in Africa--anywhere but the US Gulf states).

The conspiracy theorists make dire predictions and claim that the evil corporations are spiriting away thousands of oil soaked dolphin and pelican carcasses under cover of darkness (you may have seen a few of these on these forums), while using millions of gallons of Dawn dishwashing soap to disperse the oilstains. PETA and every other eco-friendly/human hostile organization looks for every conceivable 'teaching moment' to feed their favorite celebrities who look for social redemption by doing stuff to uh, you know, like save the world from poisoning itself, man.

Hordes of lawyers descend upon the area, promising everything to everybody by suing anyone and everyone who might conceivably have a connection to the designated scapegoats.

Politicians being what they are, inevitably get swept along in the panic to get face time in an election year, and most of them being lawyers themselves, promise everything to everybody too.

The whole thing snowballs and no one checks to see if disaster is actually as bad as they said (hoped) it was going to be, and the economy of a whole region is negatively affected for the next several years, even though most of it has nothing to do with fishing or even deep water oil drilling.

The expectation of spoiled beaches, unsafe waters and a deep water oil plume that is just bound to surface somewhere, some day is more than sufficient to ruin the tourist industry in an already precarious economy in an area that was already relatively poor and underdeveloped.

But it was a helluva a story, and it sold lots of newspapers, magazines and advertising time.

And if we bought those newspapers & magazines or watched those 'news' programs, we are little better than their accomplices if we don't hold them accountable for correcting their lies.

cheers

horseback

koivis
08-09-2010, 03:08 AM
In my opinion, the worst environmental disaster America has ever faced is a country called United States of America.

Bremspropeller
08-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Wow, a picture of an obviously cleaned part ofbeach, completely unrelated to the one above - PROOFS!!!!1!

hop2002
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
It's not just the Daily Mail. From Michael Grunwald, Time:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, Limbaugh has a point. The Deepwater Horizon explosion was an awful tragedy for the 11 workers who died on the rig, and it's no leak; it's the biggest oil spill in U.S. history. It's also inflicting serious economic and psychological damage on coastal communities that depend on tourism, fishing and drilling. But so far while it's important to acknowledge that the long-term potential danger is simply unknowable for an underwater event that took place just three months ago it does not seem to be inflicting severe environmental damage. "The impacts have been much, much less than everyone feared," says geochemist Jacqueline Michel, a federal contractor who is coordinating shoreline assessments in Louisiana.
(See pictures of the Gulf oil spill.)
Yes, the spill killed birds but so far, less than 1% of the number killed by the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska 21 years ago. Yes, we've heard horror stories about oiled dolphins but so far, wildlife-response teams have collected only three visibly oiled carcasses of mammals. Yes, the spill prompted harsh restrictions on fishing and shrimping, but so far, the region's fish and shrimp have tested clean, and the restrictions are gradually being lifted. And yes, scientists have warned that the oil could accelerate the destruction of Louisiana's disintegrating coastal marshes a real slow-motion ecological calamity but so far, assessment teams have found only about 350 acres of oiled marshes, when Louisiana was already losing about 15,000 acres of wetlands every year.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/natio...0.html#ixzz0w7hRbpg2 (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2007202,00.html#ixzz0w7hRbpg2) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

R_Target
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
There was definitely no shortage of hype in the hysterically xenophobic tone of the British Press. Next thing you know, it'll be Independence-Revoking time again.

ploughman
08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
There was definitely no shortage of hype in the hysterically xenophobic tone of the British Press. Next thing you know, it'll be Independence-Revoking time again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, you read and then analyse trends and the timber of reporting in the printed media from a country other than your own? Do you work for an intelligence agency or is this some sort of hobby of yours? Frankly I find our tabloids vomit inducing and use them only for window cleaning. The debassing of some of the printed media in this country is the work of that nasty American Rupert Murdoch who turned the once valued Sun into a tabloid around the time of my birth (he was an Australian then, less power to him). Nevertheless, there remain much vaunted publications here, The Guardian, The Sunday Times, and that peerless read of great captains known as The Economist. Of course your survey would include these and be weighted accordingly one hopes.

Airmail109
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ploughman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
There was definitely no shortage of hype in the hysterically xenophobic tone of the British Press. Next thing you know, it'll be Independence-Revoking time again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, you read and then analyse trends and the timber of reporting in the printed media from a country other than your own? Do you work for an intelligence agency or is this some sort of hobby of yours? Frankly I find our tabloids vomit inducing and use them only for window cleaning. The debassing of some of the printed media in this country is the work of that nasty American Rupert Murdoch who turned the once valued Sun into a tabloid around the time of my birth (he was an Australian then, less power to him). Nevertheless, there remain much vaunted publications here, The Guardian, The Sunday Times, and that peerless read of great captains known as The Economist. Of course your survey would include these and be weighted accordingly one hopes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bahhh I prefer to call him an Aussie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Airmail109
08-09-2010, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ploughman:

Wow, you read and then analyse trends and the timber of reporting in the printed media from a country other than your own? Do you work for an intelligence agency or is this some sort of hobby of yours? Frankly I find our tabloids vomit inducing and use them only for window cleaning. The debassing of some of the printed media in this country is the work of that nasty American Rupert Murdoch who turned the once valued Sun into a tabloid around the time of my birth (he was an Australian then, less power to him). Nevertheless, there remain much vaunted publications here, The Guardian, The Sunday Times, and that peerless read of great captains known as The Economist. Of course your survey would include these and be weighted accordingly one hopes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention The Independent, The Financial Times, The Times, The Observer and The Daily Telegraph is a borderline okay Tory paper.

ploughman
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Daily Telegraph is a borderline okay Tory paper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because it's wrong doesn't mean it isn't right.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

R_Target
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, you read and then analyse trends and the timber of reporting in the printed media from a country other than your own? Do you work for an intelligence agency or is this some sort of hobby of yours? Frankly I find our tabloids vomit inducing and use them only for window cleaning. The debassing of some of the printed media in this country is the work of that nasty American Rupert Murdoch who turned the once valued Sun into a tabloid around the time of my birth (he was an Australian then, less power to him). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Defensive attitude, awkward satire, accusations of parochialism, and most importantly, blame the yanks....you've covered most of the bases.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nevertheless, there remain much vaunted publications here, The Guardian, The Sunday Times, and that peerless read of great captains known as The Economist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of which were posted above.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I stopped reading three paragraphs in. I get enough fascist propaganda from Faux News.

I'd wager that whatever British rag this came from is about as reputable.

Taylortony
08-10-2010, 05:32 AM
The worst one is called Bohpal, and they have never bothered to this day to clean that one up, 10,000 plus dead and 150,000 plus suffering from the poisoning today.....but hey, not on my back door and all that, so we will simply ignore it.....................

erco415
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
The guy I'm flying with this week spent the last week and a half on vacation to the gulf coast. The Florida panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi. I asked him how the beaches were. He said perfect, they didn't see so much as a tar ball. Now, there's no question that some beaches were hit pretty hard, and we may yet see some effects from the rumored 'submerged oil plume', but I'm inclined to believe that the situation wasn't as bad as we were lead to believe.

As I've noted previously, the media is not a reliable source for information.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by erco415:
As I've noted previously, the media is not a reliable source for information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. A random guy that you know (that undoubtedly shares your political views) most certainly is a reliable source of information, particularly on issues regarding fields in which he is not an expert.

I am a little confused, however. Your friend only mentioned the beaches when uncovering this hoax. He has of course seen the entire bottom of the Gulf, correct? And he's aware of the chemical components of the dispersants that BP uses (and refuses to divulge) and what the ultimate result will be of them binding with hydrocarbons and entering the food web over the next several decades, right?

By the way, I talked to my auto mechanic about the peculiarities of quantum physics the other day. He sure set me straight on M Theory!

MB_Avro_UK
08-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

The truth as ever lies somewhere in between.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 03:50 PM
By the way, this brings up an interesting point...

Why are some of the British insisting that British Petroleum isn't a British company? It was founded by an Englishman, it's headquartered in London, its CEO and much of the board are British, and the company's name was registered as "British Petroleum" before they bought out Amoco and wanted a "US-friendly" brand name. Changing the brand name doesn't change reality.

This argument by the British (and the strangely suddenly Anglophilic tea baggers on this side of the pond) is absurd. It's like saying that Prince is no longer Prince because he changed his name to a squiggle, or that Ford isn't an American company because they have international offices and possibly incorporate a few Germans and Swedes into the corporate hierarchy (somebody has to teach them how to build cars, after all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

From where I'm sitting, it's just a case of nationalism. I'm used to it coming from the US, but it's a bit distressing to see it coming from a European power. I've always found the post-war western European view on statehood and nationalism to be a breath of fresh air, but this situation is every bit as sickening as a Republican rally in the middle of Alabama in terms of rhetoric and pointless nationalistic feelings.

BP is a British company. That doesn't mean that this is Britain's fault--it's the fault of the decision makers regardless of their nationalities. But attempting to argue that BP isn't British in some vain attempt to paint Britain in a more positive light is simply asinine.

Ba5tard5word
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From where I'm sitting, it's just a case of nationalism. I'm used to it coming from the US, but it's a bit distressing to see it coming from a European power. I've always found the post-war western European view on statehood and nationalism to be a breath of fresh air, but this situation is every bit as sickening as a Republican rally in the middle of Alabama in terms of rhetoric and pointless nationalistic feelings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust us, they hate us more than we hate them. As I've said before, if an American oil company spilled oil on the shores of the Thames you would see American flags being burned in Trafalgar Square before the day was out. Brits these days have a barely disguised disgust with the US for some lame reason, meanwhile Americans are largely anglophiles who are enamored with a love for the "Old Country" who don't really have anything bad to say about the UK or Brits other than the food.

erco415
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
GTA, I sort of figured you would be dismissive of an eye-witness report from someone who you considered politically unreliable, but I'm still a little confused about how you've come to believe that I think the oil spill was a hoax. I allowed that there may well be negative consequences to come, and that some areas were hard hit. I only said that I agreed, based on the first hand experience of someone I occasionally trust with my life, that the media might have stretched the truth a little.

But, expecting that you would belittle an opinion that disagreed with your orthodoxy, we talked some more about what my co-worker saw on his gulf-coast vacation. We talked about the incredible amount of equipment staged in anticipation of oil coming ashore. Brand new equipment, unused. Of the local people who reported that the worst they saw was tar balls, and that most beaches were fine. Or the BP worker's lonely patrol, he in his yellow hazmat slippers and with his empty oil bucket, shuffling past while they sunbathed on the beaches of Pensacola.

If Matt (who will be amused, I think, to find out that he's a 'random guy') had anything to gain by slanting the report of his experience on the Gulf coast, maybe he would. But he simply doesn't. He went on vacation, and when asked about it, said that they had a great time. The beaches were nice, the water clear. I didn't ask for, nor did he offer, a comprehensive assessment of the overall effects of the spill. What I saw in media reports suggested widespread disaster. Well, maybe not.

Somehow, I think that disappoints you.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
By the way, this brings up an interesting point...

Why are some of the British insisting that British Petroleum isn't a British company? It was founded by an Englishman, it's headquartered in London, its CEO and much of the board are British, and the company's name was registered as "British Petroleum" before they bought out Amoco and wanted a "US-friendly" brand name. Changing the brand name doesn't change reality.

This argument by the British (and the strangely suddenly Anglophilic tea baggers on this side of the pond) is absurd. It's like saying that Prince is no longer Prince because he changed his name to a squiggle, or that Ford isn't an American company because they have international offices and possibly incorporate a few Germans and Swedes into the corporate hierarchy (somebody has to teach them how to build cars, after all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

From where I'm sitting, it's just a case of nationalism. I'm used to it coming from the US, but it's a bit distressing to see it coming from a European power. I've always found the post-war western European view on statehood and nationalism to be a breath of fresh air, but this situation is every bit as sickening as a Republican rally in the middle of Alabama in terms of rhetoric and pointless nationalistic feelings.

BP is a British company. That doesn't mean that this is Britain's fault--it's the fault of the decision makers regardless of their nationalities. But attempting to argue that BP isn't British in some vain attempt to paint Britain in a more positive light is simply asinine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the CEO is now or gouing to be an American. 40 percent of the company is owned by Americans. It is no longer called British Petroleum. It's simply a multinational, anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional tit head.

BTW whats all this stuff coming out about the American operator of the rig removing all the warning alarms so It they didn't wake up it's personel?

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From where I'm sitting, it's just a case of nationalism. I'm used to it coming from the US, but it's a bit distressing to see it coming from a European power. I've always found the post-war western European view on statehood and nationalism to be a breath of fresh air, but this situation is every bit as sickening as a Republican rally in the middle of Alabama in terms of rhetoric and pointless nationalistic feelings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust us, they hate us more than we hate them. As I've said before, if an American oil company spilled oil on the shores of the Thames you would see American flags being burned in Trafalgar Square before the day was out. Brits these days have a barely disguised disgust with the US for some lame reason, meanwhile Americans are largely anglophiles who are enamored with a love for the "Old Country" who don't really have anything bad to say about the UK or Brits other than the food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brits arn't the only ones. How about the rest of the ****in planet as well?

Actually Brits don't so much as hate America but just hate BS in general. They can't take hearing people whinge or ask for The Queen to apolgize at rallies in the context of numerous American **** ups like Agent Orange, letting people financially support the IRA until 9/11, Central America, Iraq, Bhopal etc. They would never really bother mentioning these but Europeans have a rather large disgust for hyprocrisy and general stupidity.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by erco415:
GTA, I sort of figured you would be dismissive of an eye-witness report from someone who you considered politically unreliable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No. I'm dismissive because he is a layman making a sweeping judgement based on seeing a tiny fraction of 1% of the area affected. You grant it veracity because it happens to fall in line with your politics. Don't lay that on me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I'm still a little confused about how you've come to believe that I think the oil spill was a hoax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm prone to spontainious bouts of hyperbole when confronted with unadulterated absurdity. My apologies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I only said that I agreed, based on the first hand experience of someone I occasionally trust with my life, that the media might have stretched the truth a little. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...and the fact that you occasionally entrust your life to this person does not make him an expert on toxiology, gyres, or anything at all related to this spill.

Let's reverse the situation.

Would you consider it a good idea to go and ask my doctor what that banging noise is in my plane's engine? By your logic, the fact that I occasionally entrust my life to him makes him qualified to make judgments in areas in which he has no expertise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brand new equipment, unused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How did he determine this? Merely the fact that it was clean, or did he examine the work orders?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of the local people who reported that the worst they saw was tar balls, and that most beaches were fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And of course he poured over four months of meteorological data and is intimately familiar with the local gyres to ensure that this is a widespread phenomenon and not just a coincidence, correct?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If Matt (who will be amused, I think, to find out that he's a 'random guy') had anything to gain by slanting the report of his experience on the Gulf coast, maybe he would. But he simply doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you have to gain from asserting that it was a media exaggeration?
What do you have to gain from denying the science behind anthropogenic climate change?
What do you have to gain from supporting the war in Iraq?

The reality is that you have nothing to gain. Beliefs and politics are interwoven.

I'm not suggesting that he's lying. I'm merely suggesting that he interpreted what he saw in the manner that he wished, and that he told you what you wanted to hear.

That's how people are. It's human nature.

My point is that it's a bit ridiculous to say, "experts can't be trusted" on one hand and then to immediately follow that up with, "but I know some guy with no expertise in the field that says everything's fine."

He saw what he saw, but it's irrelevant to the greater discussion and does nothing to change the fact that nearly 210,000,000 gallons of oil have been spilled into the Gulf and that, in opposition to the advice of biologists and toxicologists, BP dumped an additional 2,000,000 gallons of dispersants into the Gulf that actually render the spill even more toxic to wildlife (and absolutely refuses to divulge what exactly is in the dispersants by hiding behind "trade secret" laws.) The fact that a non-expert noted that a handful of beaches looked clean is not only irrelevant to the greater discussion, but dangerous to give undue credence to.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
GTA, I sort of figured you would be dismissive of an eye-witness report from someone who you considered politically unreliable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No. I'm dismissive because he is a layman making a sweeping judgement based on seeing a tiny fraction of 1% of the area affected. You grant it veracity because it happens to fall in line with your politics. Don't lay that on me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I'm still a little confused about how you've come to believe that I think the oil spill was a hoax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm prone to spontainious bouts of hyperbole when confronted with unadulterated absurdity. My apologies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I only said that I agreed, based on the first hand experience of someone I occasionally trust with my life, that the media might have stretched the truth a little. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...and the fact that you occasionally entrust your life to this person does not make him an expert on toxiology, gyres, or anything at all related to this spill.

Let's reverse the situation.

Would you consider it a good idea to go and ask my doctor what that banging noise is in my plane's engine? By your logic, the fact that I occasionally entrust my life to him makes him qualified to make judgments in areas in which he has no expertise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brand new equipment, unused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How did he determine this? Merely the fact that it was clean, or did he examine the work orders?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of the local people who reported that the worst they saw was tar balls, and that most beaches were fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And of course he poured over four months of meteorological data and is intimately familiar with the local gyres to ensure that this is a widespread phenomenon and not just a coincidence, correct?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If Matt (who will be amused, I think, to find out that he's a 'random guy') had anything to gain by slanting the report of his experience on the Gulf coast, maybe he would. But he simply doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you have to gain from asserting that it was a media exaggeration?
What do you have to gain from denying the science behind anthropogenic climate change?
What do you have to gain from supporting the war in Iraq?

The reality is that you have nothing to gain. Beliefs and politics are interwoven.

I'm not suggesting that he's lying. I'm merely suggesting that he interpreted what he saw in the manner that he wished, and that he told you what you wanted to hear.

That's how people are. It's human nature.

My point is that it's a bit ridiculous to say, "experts can't be trusted" on one hand and then to immediately follow that up with, "but I know some guy with no expertise in the field that says everything's fine."

He saw what he saw, but it's irrelevant to the greater discussion and does nothing to change the fact that nearly 210,000,000 gallons of oil have been spilled into the Gulf and that, in opposition to the advice of biologists and toxicologists, BP dumped an additional 2,000,000 gallons of dispersants into the Gulf that actually render the spill even more toxic to wildlife (and absolutely refuses to divulge what exactly is in the dispersants by hiding behind "trade secret" laws.) The fact that a non-expert noted that a handful of beaches looked clean is not only irrelevant to the greater discussion, but dangerous to give undue credence to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and guess who let them dump the stupid dispersants. Oh wait....Americans?

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
Actually the CEO is now or gouing to be an American. 40 percent of the company is owned by Americans. It is no longer called British Petroleum. It's simply a multinational, anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional tit head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, it's an MNC.
...founded by a Briton, based out of London, and largely run by Britons.

This is stupid. If this spill had never occurred and BP instead created some revolutionary technology that changed the world, you people would be saying, "yup, BP is British."

Stop playing word games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW whats all this stuff coming out about the American operator of the rig removing all the warning alarms so It they didn't wake up it's personel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nobody said that Britain is responsible for the spill, you twit. People have only observed that the ridiculous backpedaling on the part of the British media on the point of a company based out of London not being British borders on insanity.

I didn't realize that you were a rabid nationalist.

R_Target
08-10-2010, 06:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Trust us, they hate us more than we hate them. As I've said before, if an American oil company spilled oil on the shores of the Thames you would see American flags being burned in Trafalgar Square before the day was out. Brits these days have a barely disguised disgust with the US for some lame reason, meanwhile Americans are largely anglophiles who are enamored with a love for the "Old Country" who don't really have anything bad to say about the UK or Brits other than the food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, be sure.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
Actually the CEO is now or gouing to be an American. 40 percent of the company is owned by Americans. It is no longer called British Petroleum. It's simply a multinational, anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional tit head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, it's an MNC.
...founded by a Briton, based out of London, and largely run by Britons.

This is stupid. If this spill had never occurred and BP instead created some revolutionary technology that changed the world, you people would be saying, "yup, BP is British."

Stop playing word games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW whats all this stuff coming out about the American operator of the rig removing all the warning alarms so It they didn't wake up it's personel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nobody said that Britain is responsible for the spill, you twit. People have only observed that the ridiculous backpedaling on the part of the British media on the point of a company based out of London not being British borders on insanity.

I didn't realize that you were a rabid nationalist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No but I'm saying BP may not be as responsible. Did you realize America has a habbit of trying to destroy foreign companies that do to well in the States. Audi and Toyota to name a few. Toyata because you lot can't tell the difference between the brake and the throttle pedal. Your countries government is full of ****. It has actively overthrown governments in pursuit of it's own free trade/corporate goals (Iran when its "disguisting lefty" government nationalized it's Oil) but then on it's own soil it is the biggest protectionist clown wagon on the planet. It talks the talk but doesn't walk it.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
and guess who let them dump the stupid dispersants. Oh wait....Americans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah... and?

Perhaps if you put down your copy of the Mail for ten minutes, you'd realize that people are angry at a corporation, not a country. At individuals, not nationalities.

You limies are the only ones trying to drag states into this by asserting that you have nothing to do with British Petroleum.

Nobody is blaming Britain.
Nobody is asking Britain for reparations.
Nobody has even suggested that, as a state, Britain has anything at all to do with it.

The only ones to blame are the ones that screwed up--regardless of their nationalities.

I don't know much about British politics, but my guess is that the British far right are the ones responsible for this "BP isn't British" nonsense. It reeks of militant nationalism, and we can always look to the fascists for that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
and guess who let them dump the stupid dispersants. Oh wait....Americans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah... and?

Perhaps if you put down your copy of the Mail for ten minutes, you'd realize that people are angry at a corporation, not a country. At individuals, not nationalities.

You limies are the only ones trying to drag states into this by asserting that you have nothing to do with British Petroleum.

Nobody is blaming Britain.
Nobody is asking Britain for reparations.
Nobody has even suggested that, as a state, Britain has anything at all to do with it.

The only ones to blame are the ones that screwed up--regardless of their nationalities.

I don't know much about British politics, but my guess is that the British far right are the ones responsible for this "BP isn't British" nonsense. It reeks of militant nationalism, and we can always look to the fascists for that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm defending BP, not Britain. I care as little about my country as America.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
No but I'm saying BP may not be as responsible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>BP as a corporate entity is responsible. It was their operation and it happened as a result of their activities. The US government has certainly made it worse, but it's hardly to blame for the spill.

Whether the guy calling the shots was American, British, Finnish, or Chinese is irrelevant--you people (and the tea baggers) are the only ones dragging nationalities into this.

I don't give two ****s where BP is based. My only point is that it's patently absurd that "you lot" are pretending it's not a British company simply because it's currently in an unfavorable light. It IS an MNC, but just like MNCs based in America are thought of as American companies, MNCs based in Britain are British.

It's a part of globalization. Get used to it.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm defending BP, not Britain. I care as little about my country as America. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then your stance makes even less sense to me.

Why would you defend a faceless corporation that you have no connection to that is solely responsible for the worst oil spill in history?

I never took you for the corporate type.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aimail101:

It's a part of globalization. Get used to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah try telling that to your protectionist lobbyists as well.

It may have legally been responsible but if other companies played a large part in the accident then it doesn't deserved to be as vilified in the media as it has been. Idiot.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm defending BP, not Britain. I care as little about my country as America. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then your stance makes even less sense to me.

Why would you defend a faceless corporation that you have no connection to that is solely responsible for the worst oil spill in history?

I never took you for the corporate type. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well maybe, just maybe.... because BP going bust will affect the British economy and I like picking fights with beligerent hypocrits?

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM

It may have legally been responsible but if other companies played a large part in the accident then it doesn't deserved to be as vilified in the media as it has been. Idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

In case you can't tell, I'm anti-corporate.

This was an accident created by greed. BP is ****. Everyone involved is a ****head. I'm not playing favorites here.

But I'm also not going to absolve BP from the primary responsibility. This ENTIRE situation came about as a result of their operation being greedy, careless, and lazy while trying to maximize profits.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM

It may have legally been responsible but if other companies played a large part in the accident then it doesn't deserved to be as vilified in the media as it has been. Idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

In case you can't tell, I'm anti-corporate.

This was an accident created by greed. BP is ****. Everyone involved is a ****head. I'm not playing favorites here.

But I'm also not going to absolve BP from the primary responsibility. This ENTIRE situation came about as a result of their operation being greedy, careless, and lazy while trying to maximize profits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then by all means try and incite a media frenzy against practically all American corporations, there's unfinished buisness in that department.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Well maybe, just maybe.... because BP going bust will affect the British economy and I like picking fights with beligerent hypocrits? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How am I a hypocrite? I want to see ANY corrupt corporation fail. I've come out against numerous US corporations in the past. These people are vampires. They know no borders.

But...
I'm confused.
How could BP's failure hurt the British economy?
After all, it isn't a British company. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Then by all means try and incite a media frenzy against all other American corporations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, Enron is dead and everybody already knows the score with Haliburton. Any suggestions?

I was rather hoping that the Big Three would fold so that maybe this country can finally get some decent cars, but instead they were bailed out, just like the do-nothings on Wall Street.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Well maybe, just maybe.... because BP going bust will affect the British economy and I like picking fights with beligerent hypocrits? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How am I a hypocrite? I want to see ANY corrupt corporation fail. I've come out against numerous US corporations in the past. These people are vampires. They know no borders.

But...
I'm confused.
How could BP's failure hurt the British economy?
After all, it isn't a British company. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah try telling that to the media, or those that run your country or those that are patriotic or want to see American corporations do well. They are all going for BP's jugular and the American population cannot see through all the hyprocricy and bullsh1t.

You do realize that destroying BP will hurt a lot of pensioners and that it's cold here in Britain unlike California. Pensioners do actually often die in winter becauuse they can't afford the bills. Be carefull what you wish for. See quote in sig.

jarink
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I have to hand it to you guys. I had a not-so-great day at work, was in a really cr@ppy mood and this thread has literally made me smile.

On a semi-related note, a friend of mine got back from the Alabama Gulf coast on Sunday. Clean beaches and water, he reports. That makes two unrelated right-wing nut jobs reporting the lack of disaster on the shore. I next predict that sometime between now and November the administration will attempt to take full credit for cleaning up this "worst-ever" spill as an example of how magnificent things could be if we left everything to those in the government.

No mention will be made for the weeks of indecision and lack of action shown immediately after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank. Similarly, attempt will be made to hold those in government responsible for the failure to ensure government safety and other regulations were enforced prior to the accident. If the lack of regulation enforcement was to blame as much as BP (which, in my opinion it was), someone "at the top" might be expected to resign, wouldn't he?

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
I have to hand it to you guys. I had a not-so-great day at work, was in a really cr@ppy mood and this thread has literally made me smile.

On a semi-related note, a friend of mine got back from the Alabama Gulf coast on Sunday. Clean beaches and water, he reports. That makes two unrelated right-wing nut jobs reporting the lack of disaster on the shore. I next predict that sometime between now and November the administration will attempt to take full credit for cleaning up this "worst-ever" spill as an example of how magnificent things could be if we left everything to those in the government.

No mention will be made for the weeks of indecision and lack of action shown immediately after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank. Similarly, attempt will be made to hold those in government responsible for the failure to ensure government safety and other regulations were enforced prior to the accident. If the lack of regulation enforcement was to blame as much as BP (which, in my opinion it was), someone "at the top" might be expected to resign, wouldn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Punishing BP should be based on the advice from scientific jounrals in 5-10 years. Punishing them does not change what has happened, finding out the mid to long term damadges caused by the spill and punishing them accordingly should be the priority.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah try telling that to the media, or those that run your country or those that are patriotic or want to see American corporations do well. They are all going for BP's jugular and the American population cannot see through all the hyprocricy and bullsh1t. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>People are going for BP's jugular because they messed up, not because they're British.

I will never patronize BP again. There's a station down the street from me and I haven't used it since the spill.

And before you whine: I also don't give Exxon my money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You do realize that destroying BP will hurt a lot of pensioners and that it's cold here in Britain unlike California. Pensioners do actually often die in winter becauuse they can't afford the bills. Be carefull what you wish for. See quote in sig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And...?
What? Now it's suddenly the responsibility of America to prop up BP's pensioners?

What exactly are we supposed to say? Perhaps you're looking for something like, "well, BP's corporate greed caused the greatest oil spill in human history and has potentially ruined the Gulf for an indeterminate period, but we should forget about all of that and instead remember Nigel McDougal from Leeds, who worked at BP in 1973 and will lose his pension if we hold the corporation responsible for its actions."

You're being daft.

If this were an American corporation that had somehow contaminated the Channel or the Firth of Forth, somehow I see you saying, "**** the Yanks, they should have been more careful." And somehow I don't see you considering pensioners from Tulsa when you make such a statement.

You really are a nationalist.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah try telling that to the media, or those that run your country or those that are patriotic or want to see American corporations do well. They are all going for BP's jugular and the American population cannot see through all the hyprocricy and bullsh1t. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>People are going for BP's jugular because they messed up, not because they're British.

I will never patronize BP again. There's a station down the street from me and I haven't used it since the spill.

And before you whine: I also don't give Exxon my money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You do realize that destroying BP will hurt a lot of pensioners and that it's cold here in Britain unlike California. Pensioners do actually often die in winter becauuse they can't afford the bills. Be carefull what you wish for. See quote in sig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And...?
What? Now it's suddenly the responsibility of America to prop up BP's pensioners?

What exactly are we supposed to say? Perhaps you're looking for something like, "well, BP's corporate greed caused the greatest oil spill in human history and has potentially ruined the Gulf for an indeterminate period, but we should forget about all of that and instead remember Nigel McDougal from Leeds, who worked at BP in 1973 and will lose his pension if we hold the corporation responsible for its actions."

You're being daft.

If this were an American corporation that had somehow contaminated Liverpool, somehow I see you saying, "**** the Yanks, they should have been more careful." And somehow I don't see you considering pensioners from Tulsa when you make such a statement.

You really are a nationalist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Horsesh1t the only reason that the Obama administration and the media are punishing them to the extent they are is down to protectionism. There has been no restraint by your administration and media considering that although not legally complicit in all other intents and purposes some American companies have played a major part in what has happened.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:17 PM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, millions of people bought into private pensions who had no idea that many of the shares were with BP. Again, restraint.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
indecision and lack of action shown immediately after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>http://www.omomisha.com/times9imgs/my_pet_goat.jpg

Interesting how those winds blow, isn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
indecision and lack of action shown immediately after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>http://www.omomisha.com/times9imgs/my_pet_goat.jpg

Interesting how those winds blow, isn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Brits realized that the only worse thing than an uneducated Republican is a Democrat.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
No, millions of people bought into private pensions who had no idea that many of the shares were with BP. Again, restraint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And this is the responsibility of the US... how, exactly?

You call upon the US to "protect" British pensioners by not blaming BP, but if BP is going down, perhaps it should take care of them instead?

Are you seriously calling upon a foreign state to shoulder the burden of pensioners that bought into a corrupt corporation?

If that's the case, why exactly weren't you outraged by the Madoff scandal? Perhaps the US should have demanded that Lotus and BAe pay those poor, poor rich people who were swindled by the ponzi?

I don't know, man. It's the middle of the night over there, so I seriously hope you're just really, really drunk right now.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:44 PM
There has been no restraint by your administration and media </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have this thing called the "bill of rights." You should try it sometime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

God save the Queen!

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
No, millions of people bought into private pensions who had no idea that many of the shares were with BP. Again, restraint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And this is the responsibility of the US... how, exactly?

You call upon the US to "protect" British pensioners by not blaming BP, but if BP is going down, perhaps it should take care of them instead?

Are you seriously calling upon a foreign state to shoulder the burden of pensioners that bought into a corrupt corporation?

If that's the case, why exactly weren't you outraged by the Madoff scandal? Perhaps the US should have demanded that Lotus and BAe pay those poor, poor rich people who were swindled by the ponzi?

I don't know, man. It's the middle of the night over there, so I seriously hope you're just really, really drunk right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm calling for restraint in the light of the involvement of American companies. It's this word, us Brits call it restraint. You know not destroying BP for the sake of it as soon as possible and instead getting the full facts in a few years from scientists as opposed to the media and then giving them their dues.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
There has been no restraint by your administration and media </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have this thing called the "bill of rights." You should try it sometime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

God save the Queen! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then maybe you should stay the hell out of other peoples countries militarily and commercially if you don't want to be called a hyprocrit.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:51 PM
No I'm calling for restraint in the light of the involvement of American companies. It's this word, us Brits call it restraint. You know not destroying BP for the sake of it as soon as possible and instead getting the full facts in a few years from scientists as opposed to the media and then giving them their dues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm calling for no restraint. Where have I come to the defense of any American company in this mess?

As far as I'm concerned, every involved party should be held responsible. This does not change the fact, however, that BP is the main factor.

I really couldn't care less how many companies fail from this or how many American, British, Canadian, or Swiss pensioners are affected. The responsible parties must be held accountable. That is the only way this corporate culture of greed and irresponsibility will be stopped.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
No I'm calling for restraint in the light of the involvement of American companies. It's this word, us Brits call it restraint. You know not destroying BP for the sake of it as soon as possible and instead getting the full facts in a few years from scientists as opposed to the media and then giving them their dues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm calling for no restraint. Where have I come to the defense of any American company in this mess?

As far as I'm concerned, every involved party should be held responsible. This does not change the fact, however, that BP is the main factor.

I really couldn't care less how many companies fail from this or how many American, British, Canadian, or Swiss pensioners are affected. The responsible parties must be held accountable. That is the only way this corporate culture of greed and irresponsibility will be stopped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be your reasons but your naieve, no American corporations will be held accountable. BP will and they will not be punished as to the amount of havoc they caused they will be punished because lobbyists would like nothing more than to rip BP a new ******* like they did to Toyota et al.

Anyway foreign buisnesses will increasingly invest in China and India now. Have an interesting century!

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Then maybe you should stay the hell out of other peoples countries militarily and commercially if you don't want to be called a hyprocrit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where have I ever supported any of those policies? I oppose every one of the US' military actions since 1945 (well... GW1 and Kosovo were at least semi-justifiable.) I'm steadfastly against Iraq and I think that waging a land war in Afghanistan, a place that hasn't been conquered since Alexander, is foolhardy. I oppose (and have spoken out against) the US' policy of economic imperialism. I'm the antithesis of a hypocrite by your own measure...

...but the fact that you deem me such betrays your nationalism. You have no reason to believe these things about me beyond the fact that I'm one of "them" and "they" are bad.

This isn't about corporate responsibility for you. It's about those bad, dirty, underhanded Americans hurting a British company.

Congrats. You've come around to the exact viewpoint that the Mail had hoped. I guess they've earned another Tory (those are the British right wingers, right?) vote in the next election.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Then maybe you should stay the hell out of other peoples countries militarily and commercially if you don't want to be called a hyprocrit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where have I ever supported any of those policies? I oppose every one of the US' military actions since 1945 (well... GW1 and Kosovo were at least semi-justifiable.) I'm steadfastly against Iraq and I think that waging a land war in Afghanistan, a place that hasn't been conquered since Alexander, is foolhardy. I oppose (and have spoken out against) the US' policy of economic imperialism. I'm the antithesis of a hypocrite by your own measure...

...but the fact that you deem me such betrays your nationalism. You have no reason to believe these things about me beyond the fact that I'm one of "them" and "they" are bad.

This isn't about corporate responsibility for you. It's about those bad, dirty, underhanded Americans hurting a British company.

Congrats. You've come around to the exact viewpoint that the Mail had hoped. I guess they've earned another Tory (those are the British right wingers, right?) vote in the next election. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong, I just think that you are naieve. See above post. I don't hate Americans, I can't stand how your country is run economically however. I'm loathe to hear any American talking about corporate responsibility.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
That may be your reasons but your naieve, no American corporations will be held accountable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I rather doubt that. BP will get the lion's share of the blame because they caused the problem.

But if the American companies are shown to have responsibility, I certainly hope they're held equally accountable.

The US may be protectionist, but it isn't insane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway foreign buisnesses will increasingly invest in China and India now. Have an interesting century! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You guys got through it last century. I'm sure we'll manage.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes it full of BS though doesn't it? That's what I can't stand.

GoToAway
08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Can you name a country that doesn't engage in protectionism? China does in that it has spent decades pilfering technology from the west as it flows through. The UAE has dumped foreign investments into Dubai, and you can bet that once it's well established, they'll be as protectionist as anything.

Then who?
Certainly not the British.
We may have a global economy, but states still look out for number one.

I don't defend the policy. Quite frankly, I think that corporatism is a bane on human existence.

But the reality is that everyone does it, and it's absolutely unfair to single out the US alone for it.

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Can you name a country that doesn't engage in protectionism? China does in that it has spent decades pilfering technology from the west as it flows through. The UAE has dumped foreign investments into Dubai, and you can bet that once it's well established, they'll be as protectionist as anything.

Then who?
Certainly not the British.
We may have a global economy, but states still look out for number one.

I don't defend the policy. Quite frankly, I think that corporatism is a bane on human existence.

But the reality is that everyone does it, and it's absolutely unfair to single out the US alone for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does it to a greater extent than Europe then claims to be some sort of prophet for free trade. When little countries decide to do a bit of protectionism it decides to A) Bomb them B) Kidnap Heads of State C) Overthrough a Government.

At least when we owned everyone we wern't all coy about it.

If it is shown to be the case that much of the punishment directed at BP is down to lobbying then we should end all contracts with American military suppliers (F-35 etc) and pull out of Afghanistan immediately.

arthursmedley
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM

At least when we owned everyone we wern't all coy about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Priceless!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Worth staying up till three o'clock in the morning for!

Btw Aimail; a quick Wiki search on BP's original name and events in Iran in the mid-fifties might prove an eye-opener for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Airmail109
08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arthursmedley:

At least when we owned everyone we wern't all coy about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Priceless!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Worth staying up till three o'clock in the morning for!

Btw Aimail; a quick Wiki search on BP's original name and events in Iran in the mid-fifties might prove an eye-opener for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL yep I have. The hilarity increases. America uses it's assets to prop up a beacon of British colonialism in the name of self interest and destroy a democratic government whilst on the other hand telling the world how great democracy and self-rule is.

The sun never set on the British Empire did it? It just moved stateside.

WTE_Googly
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
That may be your reasons but your naieve, no American corporations will be held accountable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I rather doubt that. BP will get the lion's share of the blame because they caused the problem.

But if the American companies are shown to have responsibility, I certainly hope they're held equally accountable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway foreign buisnesses will increasingly invest in China and India now. Have an interesting century! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You guys got through it last century. I'm sure we'll manage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know the investigation into the incident was already complete?

Like someone has already said, the media isn't the best source of information, personally I don't trust them to report on any more than Paris Hilton's new hairtie. Until a proper investigation has been carried out, anything is simply going to be an opinion.

hop2002
08-11-2010, 02:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why would you defend a faceless corporation that you have no connection to that is solely responsible for the worst oil spill in history? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solely responsible?

The results of the static kill with cememnt recently performed on the well suggest that the casing of the well is intact. You know, the casing design that BP's partner Anadarko and the government regulator approved, but that the politicians said cut corners and caused the blowout.

If the casing's intact, as it appears to be, then it wasn't BP cutting corners that had any contribution to this blow out. It seems most likely it was mistakes by the workers actually drilling the well who got a kickback indicating rising pressure in the casing and carried on displacing mud, when standard procedure was to shut the well in.

Those workers worked for Transocean. The rig was owned, operated and maintained by Transocean. There's evidence that safety alarms were bypassed by Transocean, so the workers might not have known the problem they were facing.

But BP soley responsible? No. The drilling work was undertaken by Transocean. It was a Transocean man who was in charge of the rig, who had ultimate authority over everything that happened on board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I'm also not going to absolve BP from the primary responsibility. This ENTIRE situation came about as a result of their operation being greedy, careless, and lazy while trying to maximize profits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Evidence?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No mention will be made for the weeks of indecision and lack of action shown immediately after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank. Similarly, attempt will be made to hold those in government responsible for the failure to ensure government safety and other regulations were enforced prior to the accident. If the lack of regulation enforcement was to blame as much as BP (which, in my opinion it was), someone "at the top" might be expected to resign, wouldn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's amazing watching politicians blaming BP for using a well design that was bound to fail, when it was a government regulator that approved that design.

It will be interesting to see what they say if it's proved the well design didn't fail, just the cement job at the bottom of the well (carried out by Haliburton) and the drilling practices on the well (carried out by Transocean).

And then there's energy secretary Steven Chu's role. He ordered BP stop the attempt at a top kill in May, when many BP engineers thought it could still succeed. He ordered BP to cut off the mangled riser pipe, saying that his studies showed it would only lead to a 5% increase in flow.

foxyboy1964
08-11-2010, 03:47 AM
You limies... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Limies?...Limies? How dare you, Sir! Your display of rabid anti-British rhetoric is most offensive. Here, suck on this...

Chill Pill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKn3nl9FeY)

I have not read this thread, nor do I intend to, but three cheers for Airmail...and yah boo sucks to GTA http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh, and if any of the oil swirling about under the Gulf is retrievable it's ours...mmkay? Thank you.

Monty_Thrud
08-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Darn tootin'! it is, that there ain't no Texas Tea...it belongs to Blighty...so get yer finger pickin' lickin' fingers orf arrrh oil http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Ba5tard5word
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Get your own oil you lot, BP is a "multinational corporation" with "an American CEO" and "no ties to Britain, ya really" so this oil clearly belongs to the US.

Should give me about 10 miles in my stretch hummer.

GoToAway
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Limies?...Limies? How dare you, Sir! Your display of rabid anti-British rhetoric is most offensive. Here, suck on this... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, he's allowed to say "you yanks" and "you lot." Unfortunately, "limies" was the best I could come up with the counter. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

horseback
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Limies?...Limies? How dare you, Sir! Your display of rabid anti-British rhetoric is most offensive. Here, suck on this... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, he's allowed to say "you yanks" and "you lot." Unfortunately, "limies" was the best I could come up with the counter. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>GTA, have you still not learned? You may say and think all the 'right' things, but it isn't and never was about what was done or why, but about who did it.

In the final analysis, you're still a bloody Yank just like the rest of us.

The only response is to do what no Brit can ever hope to do in his own country: hop in the car and drive 250 miles in a straight line without stopping & without ever leaving your native land. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

cheers

horseback

Airmail109
08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
Limies?...Limies? How dare you, Sir! Your display of rabid anti-British rhetoric is most offensive. Here, suck on this... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, he's allowed to say "you yanks" and "you lot." Unfortunately, "limies" was the best I could come up with the counter. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>GTA, have you still not learned? You may say and think all the 'right' things, but it isn't and never was about what was done or why, but about who did it.

The only response is to do what no Brit can ever hope to do in his own country: hop in the car and drive 250 miles in a straight line without stopping & without ever leaving your native land. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who'd want to drive 250 miles and still be in their own country?

Me? I can get on a train to london, then hop on the Eurotunnel to Paris. Spend a few days enjoying a different culture and chasing French birds in Paris. Before getting a 200mph train to Provence in the South of France, exploring ancient ruins, then work my way down to Valencia to see friends and be given great Spanish hospitality. Flirt with dark haired spanish birds before travelling south and riding around on Camels in Morroco with 'terrorists'.

Driving in a straight line through Texas....great

MB_Avro_UK
08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It takes me longer to drive across London than it does to drive 250 miles in the USA.

No wonder you lot wanted your independence http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

horseback
08-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I believe that GTA lives in the San Francisco Bay area; if he drives east, he will go over rolling hills into the Sacramento Valley, past that into the Sierra Nevada mountains, and from there into the high desert of Nevada. Doing so will take him through at least four or five areas with distinct social and political cultures.

Heading north over the Golden Gate Bridge, he passes through the great redwood forests along the Pacific Coast Highway up to Crescent City and Eureka; having driven it, I can tell you that just for pure driving pleasure, it's hard to beat and for the passenger, the scenary is fantastic. Again, at least three distinct culture groups.

Going south, he ends up going through the central California coast to the area around Santa Barbara; that has much to offer culturally and aesthetically too.

If he heads west, he gets wet.

Agreed, there are places where you can go 250 miles of pretty monotonous road, but there are far more places where you can go from major urban centers or beaches or lakes to fields and farms to forests and mountains and then down into desert valleys in less than three hours and you don't have to change languages or currency to do so.

We win.

cheers

horseback

GoToAway
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I believe that GTA lives in the San Francisco Bay area; if he drives east, he will go over rolling hills into the Sacramento Valley, past that into the Sierra Nevada mountains, and from there into the high desert of Nevada. Doing so will take him through at least four or five areas with distinct social and political cultures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wrong side of the country, I'm afraid. I've actually never even been to CA. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I'm in New England. Driving 250 miles north will take me well into Quebec, which is not only a different country, but a very different culture.

I don't think Europeans can really appreciate the scale of the US. It's far from a homogeneous culture. Mountains, forest, plains, tundra, and desert all falling within a single border tends to create some differences, as do the different colonial histories of different regions.

New England is a relatively small area, but you can find some major differences traveling across it. The south is (unfortunately) dominated by NYC and Boston, so it's more or less "Americana," but with much ruder and more impatient people. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

The coast is completely different, particularly up north.

The mountains are different.

Interior Maine is very different, complete with its own (occasionally indecipherable) accent.

The French influence can also be felt in places up north as well.

Quite frankly, I think the ability to hop into my car and drive 2,300 miles west to a large desert without crossing any international borders is a lot more amazing than being able to ride a train beneath a 20 mile wide body of water to France.

orville07
08-14-2010, 02:21 PM
LMAO, this thread cracked me up. Guys, give the 'Mericans a break. They gave the world great things like 'Gangsta rap', 'Spray on Cheese' (LAWLZ) and fantastic high brow entertainment spectacles like 'Demolition Derby' (and then wonder why the entire phlucking educated world laughs their arses off at them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif).

Oh and did I mention the presence of 'Creationism' in classrooms, that a bearded man in the sky created the world in 7 days, and that 'Noah and co' peacefully co-existed with phlucking Tyrannosaurus Rex? (Again, they wonder why they get laughed at http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif)

In the meantime we Euro types will have to 'make do' with our rich artistic and literary heritage, Opera, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Monet, Goethe, Picasso (etc etc...could fill 100 pages).

No wonder they feel the need to buy our Castles, gotta feel for em. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Lads, I'm KIDDING BTW, I don't go in for this American bashing, lots of Yank mates. Just having a laugh man. Love ya really! Chill! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Airmail109
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orville07:
LMAO, this thread cracked me up. Guys, give the 'Mericans a break. They gave the world great things like 'Gangsta rap', 'Spray on Cheese' (LAWLZ) and fantastic high brow entertainment spectacles like 'Demolition Derby' (and then wonder why the entire phlucking educated world laughs their arses off at them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif).

Oh and did I mention the presence of 'Creationism' in classrooms, that a bearded man in the sky created the world in 7 days, and that 'Noah and co' peacefully co-existed with phlucking Tyrannosaurus Rex? (Again, they wonder why they get laughed at http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif)

In the meantime we Euro types will have to 'make do' with our rich artistic and literary heritage, Opera, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Monet, Goethe, Picasso (etc etc...could fill 100 pages).

No wonder they feel the need to buy our Castles, gotta feel for em. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Lads, I'm KIDDING BTW, I don't go in for this American bashing, lots of Yank mates. Just having a laugh man. Love ya really! Chill! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your an ex public school boy aren't you? Bantahhh

R_Target
08-14-2010, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orville07:
In the meantime we Euro types will have to 'make do' with our rich artistic and literary heritage, Opera, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Monet, Goethe, Picasso (etc etc...could fill 100 pages). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot Ace of Base, Culture Club, Falco, Abba, and the Spice Girls.

R_Target
08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Driving in a straight line through Texas....great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't knock it until you've tried it, Aimail. There's some pretty spectacular scenery out west. Plus a nearly unlimited supply of Jackelopes to shoot at.

http://blogulate.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jaunty-jackalope.jpg

Monty_Thrud
08-15-2010, 05:21 AM
BBC Special Report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special_reports/oil_disaster/)

orville07
08-15-2010, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your an ex public school boy aren't you? Bantahhh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm not mate. Nothing could be further from the truth. But since we are playing 'guessing games' I'm going to guess that you are a booze sodden, soap dodging, 20 something bolshy student with more time on his hands than is healthy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Could be wrong, of course. If you're not though that's even sadder, least you'd have an excuse. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Waaah, they're making me get up at 1.30 in the afternoon to read Das Kapital! I've got a hangover! Fascists! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

'Bantahhh'? Sorry I don't speak 'Monglish' mate, you from 'Daaaan Saaarrf'? I'll guess you meant 'banter' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Usually occurs in pubs etc, not so much on internet forums, where some unfortunate folk seem to live.

@ Target...Hahahaha, very good. Sorry about the Spice Girls. Least they never shot anyone though, (to the best of my knowledge). Agree about Ace of Base etc, definite sonic crimes against Humanity.

Anyway, carry on with the pointless discussion which will change nothing, and few will read. I bet the powers that be are quaking in their boots Aimail. VENT, EMOTE! You'll feel better for it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Over and out. (Death to the Capitalist American Pig-Dogs too! Until I graduate and grow up!) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif