PDA

View Full Version : Any hints or tips on how to fly the BF109?

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Had my first online-attempt today, and for some reason i did really bad. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

What i really want to know is what tactic should i apply as i fight the ruskies in a BF109? What can i do with the plane?

I've allready discovered that i should avoid low alt fighting since most russians seem to have little problem quickly outclimbing me and gaining an altitude advantage.

Dive, hit hard, and then use the extra speed to quickly place myself above my opponent seems to be the best i can figure out so far.

I'm new at this. Appriciate any good advice.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Had my first online-attempt today, and for some reason i did really bad. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

What i really want to know is what tactic should i apply as i fight the ruskies in a BF109? What can i do with the plane?

I've allready discovered that i should avoid low alt fighting since most russians seem to have little problem quickly outclimbing me and gaining an altitude advantage.

Dive, hit hard, and then use the extra speed to quickly place myself above my opponent seems to be the best i can figure out so far.

I'm new at this. Appriciate any good advice.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, first , the 109 isn't a turn fighter.
Except the f versions, you will easily get outurned, this plane is created ONLY for BnZ.
Fly fast, attack in dives(450-500km/h) and get back up before your oponente finds out what happens.
Allways climb.
If you're in trouble, get into a spiral climb, soviets, will loose all their speed trying to reach you.
Don't turn! If you do have to do it in vertical
Always keep the fights on your terms.
Don't engage in long horizontal fights, keep the fight vertical.
The best plane for a 109 beginner, is IMO, the 109G2.
Fast enough, maneuvrable enough, with sufficient firpower.
Here are some BnZ tips:

1) Start with an ALT advantage. If you don't have one, don't engage.

2) If you have multiple bandits below, engage the one that meets the largest number of the following criteria: greatest alt (in other words engage the top bandits before the low bandits; work top to bottom), worst maneuverability, is moving the closest to the same direction as you (with a plane on the opposite course being the worst to engage), slowest, or is already engaged, either offensively or defensively.

3) Check beyond the bandit in the direction of your eventual extension. You do not want to extend right into an enemy.

4) Do not plunge into a screaming dive at close to Mach 1. Keep you speed between 350 and 400 knots.

5) Do not head directly for your designated bandit (this is where experience comes in). Taking your course and speed and the bandit's course and speed into account, estimate where you think the bandit will be when you reach his alt and fly to that point. If the bandit is engaged offensively, a good rule of thumb is to head for His target, because that is where the bandit will be eventually.

6) As you close on the bandit make a quick, but honest, estimate of the likelihood that you are going to have a good shot with only minor course adjustments.

7) If you are not going to have a good shot, do not force the situation; bring your nose up, go to full throttle, and climb back up to altitude. Do not waste ammo. Do not attempt to turn with the bandit. Just climb back up, extend away from the fight until you are far enough away that no bandit in the area could be on your six, and at the top of your climb come about with a 180, probably in a hi yo yo.

8) Pick out a new target (or the old target) and try again, always engaging on your terms and never forcing the issue.

9) If, in step 5, you think you do have a shot, make speed and course adjustments, close to range, and fire. After firing, extend as in 6. Don't try to stick to the bandit's tail. If you get him you get him; if not, try again.

10) If, in steps 5 or 9 you are engaging a lone bandit, instead of extending you can convert into a lag roll and check to see how the bandit responds, then either extend or go into a hi yo yo and come back around on him.

11) Always assume that your bandit is Erich Hartmann; never assume he's Snoopy.

12) The keys to BnZ are patience and experience. If you stick with the program, you will, albeit gradually, gain the ability to estimate where to head for the shot. But in the interim, you will at least get killed less frequently.

Patience, patience, patience! Think like a real pilot. Their primary goal wasn't to get a kill; it was to return alive.
practice, practice, and practice mor.
Then you will eb untouchable.

<center>"The show must go on..."<center>
<center>http://www.hobby.ro/roarmy/aviatia/greceanu%20tudor/1.jpg
A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great'
landing is one after which they can use the plane again<center>

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:50 AM
DAMN Von_Zero THAT WAS VERY GOOD POST

http://mudmovers.com/Sims/IL2/images/wallpaper/me262sharkt.jpg
U.S. infantry 84-91

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:51 AM
So what????

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 12:56 AM
one would only add that the safest B&Z is through a busy low altitude furball as the bandits are all too busy to bother with you once you extend .. there are plenty of low slow targets for them to focuss on

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 01:02 AM
WTE_Galway wrote:
- one would only add that the safest B&Z is through a
- busy low altitude furball as the bandits are all too
- busy to bother with you once you extend .. there
- are plenty of low slow targets for them to focuss on

Yep, "Divide et impera" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Go ahead and turn with the 109 !!

When to turn and when not to depends on situation and sometimes armament.
The faster u go the wider the turn, but even the latest bf109k4 can do a surprizingly sharp turn at full flap and maximum pull. after that pull I hope u have hit your target or u might not cope with the situation.

Finnish ace Ky√¬∂sti Karhila used this method with wingpods
and could turn inside enemies. His speed used to be around 250 km/h and he made several full turns. So its absolutly possible to fight with Bf 109 in slow speeds,ofcourse u have to practice a bit.

Why not read about it your self???

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-KyostiKarhilaInterview.html

and here!

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-KyostiKarhilaCoffee.html

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Thank you all! Really appriciate the advice! I've even copied it and are saving it as " von Zeros dicta". /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

No time to waste, gtg find me a good practice-server!

Once again: Thank you all!

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Von_Zero, congratulations for your post on 109 tactics.
I found it very clear, accurate and true.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
I have just a question maybe you can respond (discussion coming from the thread about K-4 vs AceAI La-7):
Imagine you're flying on your K-4 or G 109, and you get involved, although your tactics, in a dogfight... let's say some virtual Hartmann on a La-7 spots you while you're BnZ someone else. He's going fast and he can catch your 6.
Then?

http://www.goblins.net/immagini/Logo/tdglogo_eng.gif