PDA

View Full Version : Oleg will BOB implement sensors and electronic warfare ?

Capt._Tenneal
01-27-2005, 09:59 AM
I was thinking about the whole Wizard War side to WW II and maybe, for the BOB engine, finally see the RAF bombing campaign, LW nachtjagds, Battle of the Atlantic etc.

Chuck_Older
01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Dunno about the Battle of the Atlantic, I suppose a Sunderland mission where you patrol 16 hours might be fun once in a while http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif But modelling some aspects of the technology war...can't say. Things like enigma wouldn't even have to be modelled, and also Metox wouldn't really have to be modelled execpt for a detection range, reaction time, and some short random variable

Radar is, I believe, in, so night figters would be a go

Capt._Tenneal
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
I do hope so, Chuck. That would be great news. Has any other WW 2 flight sim have nightfighters ? If BOB has them, that might be a first. And I included the Battle of the Atlantic because aside from the Night bombing campaign it's the only other major battle to heavily depend on electronic warfare. I wouldn't want to fly a 16 hour Sunderland mission either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (OK, maybe reluctantly) .

avimimus
01-31-2005, 08:28 AM
You would not even have to model the station.
In real life WWII pilots almost never saw or used the stations. All you would need to do is create some calculations (window, radar effects) and right some scripts for your radar opperators voice and have him direct you.

You could model could be used for any ASW radar, H2S, Radio Navigation, Ground directors and Ground control as well as the various passive and active intercept radars

Tooz_69GIAP
01-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm really looking forward to doing some night intercepts in the Defiant, and some Me-110 night intercepts on Lancs, Manchesters, Halifaxes, etc, would be very cool as well.

I wonder how far into the war BoB will be expanded to, i.e. will we eventually be able to fly Ju-188 nightfighters, and so forth??

Zneg1
01-31-2005, 09:05 AM
I wonder if the hardware accelerated 'raycasting' in the GPU would be used to take advantage of calculating radar data online as well as in other areas. Although hmm it might not even be necessary if you keep track of all the planes in the sky and on the ground, just 'bounding boxes' or 'sphere of influence'. But for it to work realistically 'thermals',radiowave scattering etc. would need to be modeled. That's a lot of work!

csThor
01-31-2005, 09:05 AM
I doubt we will see this anytime soon. Nightfighting WW2 style is a heck more complicated than daylight combat and I suspect they will leave that out as much as possible - after all daylight sims are hard enough to produce with all of these "experts" visiting these boards http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

LEXX_Luthor
01-31-2005, 05:32 PM
If you want even a minimum of realism in ground radar, they will have to be modelled, just like in the Jetsims. This "simple script" giving you Voice Commands won't work for AI interceptors...and if the developers are smart they will see the value of AI in offwhine and onwhine play both.

Oleg said radar stations will be in the game.

Hopefully we can place working radar where we want to.