PDA

View Full Version : Need help with carrier take off

CeeTee2004
06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Iv'e got landing on a carrier down pretty well but how do you take off in an F4F? Throttle power percentages and so on? step by step please.

CeeTee2004
06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Iv'e got landing on a carrier down pretty well but how do you take off in an F4F? Throttle power percentages and so on? step by step please.

FritzGryphon
06-24-2006, 07:45 PM
1. Maximum power.
2. Release chocks.
3. Take off.

If very heavy with ordnance, use flaps.

Crash_Moses
06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
If you're still too heavy reduce fuel level also. 50% or 25% at least.

Some pilots like to build up speed before they lower flaps...as soon as the tail lifts is the general rule.

Kernow
06-25-2006, 03:59 AM
To help with max power you can increase mixture to fully rich 120%, which normally works even on the aircraft with auto mixture control. Reduce mixture to 100% once airborne or the engine will start to lose power as soon as you gain much height.

Don't forget to lock the tailwheel also; that'll keep you straight and prevent speed loss due to manoeuvering to stay on the deck.

Dropping flap during the take-off isn't necessary and is a bit of a gamers' gimmick; it wasn't done for real. Just select take-off flap as normal. One possible exception might be the Seafire (not that they really dropped flap half-way down the deck), as there should be a take-off flap setting on the Seafire, but 1C didn't see fit to instal it. Obviously landing flap is mostly drag and not lift, but selecting flap down just before you leave the deck might just give some extra lift during the vital first few seconds off the carrier in a heavy Seafire - select flap up as soon as it's travelled down.

Raise the gear as soon as you're off the deck, although the manual gear in your F4F won't come up quickly, so you'd just as well wait a while in the Wildcat.

Finally, always open the canopy; it won't make you go faster and might even slow you a little, but you'll look the part http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

And finally (again), if you keep the canopy open and the seat raised you have a pretty good all-round view in the F4F. It means more button pressing when you go into combat in order to get the gunsight view back, but IMO it's worth it for the lookout to the rear.

Archer_F4U
06-25-2006, 08:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kernow:
Dropping flap during the take-off isn't necessary and is a bit of a gamers' gimmick; it wasn't done for real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't read The Jolly Rogers by Tom Blackburn in a couple years, and don't have my copy nearby, but for some reason I am thinking that in the section about Operation Torch it is mentionned that they dropped their flaps on the TO roll. Anyone interested in reading a little to see if I'm going insane yet? LOL

Asgeir_Strips
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kernow:
To help with max power you can increase mixture to fully rich 120%, which normally works even on the aircraft with auto mixture control. Reduce mixture to 100% once airborne or the engine will start to lose power as soon as you gain much height.

Don't forget to lock the tailwheel also; that'll keep you straight and prevent speed loss due to manoeuvering to stay on the deck.

Dropping flap during the take-off isn't necessary and is a bit of a gamers' gimmick; it wasn't done for real. Just select take-off flap as normal. One possible exception might be the Seafire (not that they really dropped flap half-way down the deck), as there should be a take-off flap setting on the Seafire, but 1C didn't see fit to instal it. Obviously landing flap is mostly drag and not lift, but selecting flap down just before you leave the deck might just give some extra lift during the vital first few seconds off the carrier in a heavy Seafire - select flap up as soon as it's travelled down.

Raise the gear as soon as you're off the deck, although the manual gear in your F4F won't come up quickly, so you'd just as well wait a while in the Wildcat.

Finally, always open the canopy; it won't make you go faster and might even slow you a little, but you'll look the part http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

And finally (again), if you keep the canopy open and the seat raised you have a pretty good all-round view in the F4F. It means more button pressing when you go into combat in order to get the gunsight view back, but IMO it's worth it for the lookout to the rear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every Carrier Takeoff i've seen from WW2, the Aircraft ALWAYS had their flaps deployed. it was SOP

Dean3238
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
&gt;Every Carrier Takeoff i've seen from WW2, the Aircraft ALWAYS had their flaps deployed. it was SOP.

As it is for air transport operations today. Mild flaps generate more lift than drag and can be very useful in short field operations.

I rather think carrier take-offs qualify as such.

Dean

CeeTee2004
06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Got It! Thanks for the ideas guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

idonno
06-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I just did some acceleration tests with an F4F. I used a very wide runway so I could let the airplane accelerate completely hands-off.

I did three with no flap and 100% mixture, three with no flaps and 120% mixture, and two with take off flaps and 100% mixture. It doesn't make any difference. It took 15 seconds from full throttle to 100 mph.

So, drop your flaps before you roll so you don't forget (plus it's one less thing to worry about on that short take off run) and don't bother with the mixture.

FritzGryphon
06-25-2006, 03:24 PM
On topic of 120% mix, in the past I testing overheating with 100% and 120% mixture.

In both cases, the temperatures were identical, as were the top speeds. At sea level with F6F.

120% mix is a totally imaginary feature.

bird_brain
06-25-2006, 09:38 PM
1)Start engine
2)Unfold wings if necessary
3)Open canopy
4)Dial in about 6 clicks up trim
5)Lock Tail Wheel
6)Deploy flaps to combat or take off if heavily loaded
7)Apply full throttle
8)Release Wheel Chocks
9)Aim for the blue area in front of you.
10)Raise gear if it is not wet yet.
11)Light your cigarette & leave the canopy open, you look cooler that way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif