PDA

View Full Version : Lets get this Starforce out of our lives

Sam1975_z
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Please anyone who is SICK about Starforce post here. I am sick, very sick!!!

Sam1975_z
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Please anyone who is SICK about Starforce post here. I am sick, very sick!!!

blue_76
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
unfortunately, the only thing that can help us against starforce is some
http://www.edelmann.de/de/edelmanngruppe/img/bitterfeld_aspirin.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

InfectiousDust
06-09-2005, 03:36 PM
If I was a mod, I would start shutting these threads right down. Nothing constructive comes from this.

Antrodemus
06-09-2005, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am sick, very sick!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't doubt it.

A.

Zachstar
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Lets make this constructive.

Lets start a general letter to UBISOFT asking them and providing them reasons for.

Not using SF on SH4

Fighting back against SF and demanding 100% removal tool for their customers.

No **** or personal experiences lets talk in general terms here.

For example

It has come to our attention that SH3 with a tool for supposedly bypassing SF has appeared.

not

Yo UBI I can like dl SH3 off the net SF dont do **** :P

Lets be professional here and we can get somthing done

Sabre251
06-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I have several games that employ Starforce. All run flawlessly.

The answer to your problem kiddies is simple...stop stealing games.

Soulcommander
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
About being professional...How can you be professional with a company that...
1. Swears on the phone via the tech support line.
2. When speaking to a tech supervisor they are not courteous, paying attention to what you have to say but instead covering up the speaker end of the phone and talking to someone else while you are talking to them.
3. Write emails to jaime.borasi@ubisoft.com and get no response.

UBISOFT actually doesn't take customer service very seriously. In my experience with Electronic Arts and other gaming companies Ubisoft is a good example of a company that just doesn't care. I hate to say these things but this is what they have proven and shown to me.

A supervisor that doesn't aplogize for their rep swearing over the phone? There is no excuse for that. I have never had anyone from a professional company swear. When I was visiting with a fellow I know who works at EA he told me that if any of their techs swore on the phone or was not courteous to a customer that was being courteous to them their job would be terminated, no questions asked.

I have personally decided to never support Ubisoft in the future until they can clean up their act. If they truly care about the customer who supports them buy buying their products then it's about time for a personal apology and some common courtesy on the phone.
I conducted myself with professionalism and never swore nor insulted and I would expect the same professionalism back.

I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau in NC soon and doing a bit more than that actually. It is hard to believe these people that work for this company. I wonder who is really in charge of them. I would very much like to speak to that Gentleman or Lady.

6/15/05 UPDATE.................

I was contacted by UBI and have been given an apology. The rep is no longer with the company that swore at me. She admitted she did so. And quit the next day. Also received an apology in regards to the supervisor that I spoke to who had the speaker end of the phone covered while I was talking to him.

InfectiousDust
06-09-2005, 08:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sabre251:
I have several games that employ Starforce. All run flawlessly.

The answer to your problem kiddies is simple...stop stealing games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're new here, aren't you?

twistedpretzel
06-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Soldiers ran fine for me, SHIII runs fine for me, i have had no problem with starforce enforced games.

Soulcommander
06-09-2005, 10:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twistedpretzel:
Soldiers ran fine for me, SHIII runs fine for me, i have had no problem with starforce enforced games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should read the posters post again. He wants to know who is sick of SF. Try to stick with the main posters question!

twistedpretzel
06-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Ke was sick of starforce, i wasnt, and you went on about crappy tech support....

No need for personal attacks...<span class="ev_code_RED">first and only warning</span>...

AdmiralWilliams
06-09-2005, 10:56 PM
lol

wats starforce?

Soulcommander
06-09-2005, 11:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zachstar:
Lets make this constructive.

Lets start a general letter to UBISOFT asking them and providing them reasons for.

Not using SF on SH4

Fighting back against SF and demanding 100% removal tool for their customers.

No **** or personal experiences lets talk in general terms here.

For example

It has come to our attention that SH3 with a tool for supposedly bypassing SF has appeared.

not

Yo UBI I can like dl SH3 off the net SF dont do **** :P

Lets be professional here and we can get somthing done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah I went on about crappy tech support and about the above posters sentence about being professional. and so? I am here supporting him and your not.

blue_76
06-09-2005, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdmiralWilliams:
lol

wats starforce? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

it surrounds us, penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.. search your feelings, u know it be true! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

CrossWire1969
06-10-2005, 02:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Soulcommander:
2. When speaking to a tech supervisor they are not courteous, paying attention to what you have to say but instead covering up the speaker end of the phone and talking to someone else while you are talking to them.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you expect? UBIsoft are French froggys known by the world to be arrogant, it's not there fault they are taught to be like that in school, some chip they have because they lost the war. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Soulcommander
06-10-2005, 03:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrossWire1969:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Soulcommander:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you expect? UBIsoft are French froggys known by the world to be arrogant, it's not there fault they are taught to be like that in school, some chip they have because they lost the war. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh...well she had a foreign accent and I thought maybe russian. She has a sailors mouth for sure. A bit disrespectful...You know how they say this call may be recorded and monitored by a supervisor. Don't count on it...When asked if the call was the sup. said it wasn't and proceded to say it's her word against mine. I thought the customer is always suppose to be right! I know if my employee did that to my customer he would be in very big trouble. I would have to fire him. Don't need that customer of mine going around telling 2 people what happened in my store and the 2 people tell 8 more and the 8 tell 25 more. get my point! UBI doesn't give a d a m n.

Hey Cross better watch it they may think you are my other personality talking to myself. LOL

Zachstar
06-10-2005, 05:32 AM
If we are pro and they are not guess whos the better person?

I guess tho that the possibility of EA taking over UBI may not sound so bad after all...

However this is about starforce so lets keep on topic

CrossWire1969
06-10-2005, 05:54 AM
UBIsoft and starforce deserve each other, they share the same underpants. But what they don't deserve are loyal customers. Tit-4-tat they don't give a zhit about us, we dont give double zhit about them, plenty more uboats in the sea, and one's that do give a zhit.

poboy05
06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Starforce is invasive, unreliable, and unfriendly to users. I don't understand why some software companies would use it. Sure, it is difficult to crack but so were other protection schemes. Here is a fact: If it can be read - it can be written. It is an affront to honest game buyers to place an undisclosed driver on their computers that denies their ability to either play the game they purchased or use virtual disk software. Starforce is a bad business choice for UbiSoft.

Zachstar
06-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't think its that hard to crack I mean how fast one came out for SH3 or so I heard.

Gbucket
06-10-2005, 01:27 PM

UBISOFT actually doesn't take customer service very seriously. In my experience with Electronic Arts and other gaming companies Ubisoft is a good example of a company that just doesn't care. I hate to say these things but this is what they have proven and shown to me.

A supervisor that doesn't aplogize for their rep swearing over the phone? There is no excuse for that. I have never had anyone from a professional company swear. When I was visiting with a fellow I know who works at EA he told me that if any of their techs swore on the phone or was not courteous to a customer that was being courteous to them their job would be terminated, no questions asked.

I have personally decided to never support Ubisoft in the future until they can clean up their act. If they truly care about the customer who supports them buy buying their products then it's about time for a personal apology and some common courtesy on the phone.
I conducted myself with professionalism and never swore nor insulted and I would expect the same professionalism back.

I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau in NC soon and doing a bit more than that actually. It is hard to believe these people that work for this company. I wonder who is really in charge of them. I would very much like to speak to that Gentleman or Lady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Soulcommander, you have my sincere apologies about your above contact with Ubisoft. I can assure you that it's not common practise. Please email me directly about this - ubirazz@ubisoft.co.uk - so I can investigate.

Zachstar
06-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the attempt of righting a problem that needs to be fixed but can you state if its possible that SF protection will NOT be in UBISOFT games in the future? I mean the fact is its not effective (except getting people POed) and with the EA problem very real. Please make a decision.

Mix-Martes86
06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I must say that I'm affected (indirectly) by the problems that starforce causes. I know Sam1975_z very well. He is spanish too. Sometime ago he told me that he wasn't able to burn DVDs, and since he burnt me DVDs, now I can't have my data DVD's burnt.

There are lots of problems with starforce. Starforce is a very intrusive software, I think. The game box didn't even warn you of this thing being installed, so you buy it without any knowledge. I had never before a game that installed me strange drivers. And now my DVD reader makes strange noises, because it seems that starforce "overbooks" your reader unit. I don't like that.

This has made me think about an official protest against Starforce.
If this takes place, the whole Spanish-speaking community would be recalled again to protest against starforce.

Cheers,

MM

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sabre251:
I have several games that employ Starforce. All run flawlessly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twistedpretzel:
Soldiers ran fine for me, SHIII runs fine for me, i have had no problem with starforce enforced games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said the game doesn't work, it runs flawlessly for me too. Not so my DVD recorder since i installed the game.

The answer to your problem kiddies is simple...stop stealing games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who you call kiddies ? Who you call thieves ? Maybe it applies to you ?

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InfectiousDust:
If I was a mod, I would start shutting these threads right down. Nothing constructive comes from this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you you were a MOD and shutted down these threads, you would be a dictator.

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 06:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ubirazz:
Soulcommander, you have my sincere apologies about your above contact with Ubisoft. I can assure you that it's not common practise. Please email me directly about this - ubirazz@ubisoft.co.uk - so I can investigate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice, Ubirazz, now i definetily know you are deaf and/or blind, you didn't bother to read all other complaints about Starforce. Very nice indeed, go on like this, we finally discovered you... working for Ubi must be really well paid... won't believe any word you say from now on. You just mind about the behaviour of some poor heavily stressed tech support ? Are you kidding ? Is this the way you solve the problems of lots of customers ? Is this the way UBI is going to compensate the dammage they caused ? Right now i'm trying to find people to start a common legal action against UBI, and Starforce if necessary. All hands to samuvega@hotmail.com , e-mail me if you are seriously concerned about this.

P.S. Forgive me if i was a litle "agressive" in some of my other posts, i just found out the real amount of the damage that was caused to my system and got really angry, didn't mean to hurt or offense anyone. Sorry, i must say those words came out of my mind, not my heart. Sorry.

steve_v
06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Razz, there are alternatives to diplomacy. Interested?

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/buttbullets.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam1975_z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ubirazz:
Soulcommander, you have my sincere apologies about your above contact with Ubisoft. I can assure you that it's not common practise. Please email me directly about this - ubirazz@ubisoft.co.uk - so I can investigate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice, Ubirazz, now i definetily know you are deaf and/or blind, you didn't bother to read all other complaints about Starforce. Very nice indeed, go on like this, we finally discovered you... working for Ubi must be really well paid... won't believe any word you say from now on. You just mind about the behaviour of some poor heavily stressed tech support ? Are you kidding ? Is this the way you solve the problems of lots of customers ? Is this the way UBI is going to compensate the dammage they caused ? Right now i'm trying to find people to start a common legal action against UBI, and Starforce if necessary. All hands to samuvega@hotmail.com , e-mail me if you are seriously concerned about this.

P.S. Forgive me if i was a litle "agressive" in some of my other posts, i just found out the real amount of the damage that was caused to my system and got really angry, didn't mean to hurt or offense anyone. Sorry, i must say those words came out of my mind, not my heart. Sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This has made me think about an official protest against Starforce.
If this takes place, the whole Spanish-speaking community would be recalled again to protest against starforce.

Cheers,

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mix, i know you and your comunity are really big fans of this sim, also i know how you've all been fighting to get SH3 translated to Spanish, for those people who don't understand English or German, and i know how your efforts have been despised by UBI. I've seen your work and i just have one word to describe it: CHAPEAU!! D a m n why don't they listen to anyone?

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve_v:
Razz, there are alternatives to diplomacy. Interested?

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/buttbullets.jpg

Lol i like that one, steve_v. How about the Thruth and nothing but the Thruth? Diplomacy is just a workaround, with lies included. Those suppositories have no effect on people with firm convictions of honesty, me among them. Just a few words could help: "Sorry we promise not do it again" I would be the first one to forgive and forget. Noone is gonna pay my damages, i'll have to live with that. As i said before, sorry for my hard words, but i think placing a bomb on my car to avoid from stealing it, it's not the way to do things. Installing drivers on my pc to "avoid" piracy and making my DVD writer useless either. Point.

Mix-Martes86
06-12-2005, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam1975_z:
Thanks Mix, i know you and your comunity are really big fans of this sim, also i know how you've all been fighting to get SH3 translated to Spanish, for those people who don't understand English or German, and i know how your efforts have been despised by UBI. I've seen your work and i just have one word to describe it: CHAPEAU!! D a m n why don't they listen to anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanks, hehe. We all worked really hard.

Soulcommander
06-12-2005, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UbiRazz:

I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau in NC soon and doing a bit more than that actually. It is hard to believe these people that work for this company. I wonder who is really in charge of them. I would very much like to speak to that Gentleman or Lady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

UBI...thank you for that offer. I will write you. I'm not sure what you will be able to do. I actually can't believe you are being sincere about this, but since you are offering I will write you. Again, since I am not privy to who is in charge at UBI telephone tech all I was able to do was to speak to a supervisor. Nothing you say or do will ever change my mind about purchasing any software from you guys again. But I do appreciate someone taking this matter seriously. I have told many people in my line of business about this incident including my Best friend and contact at Crucial technology (a division of Micron). Mr Thor the lead tech. He also could not believe the Un-professionalism of this Ubi tech. nor the supervisor. My contacts around the nation I have spoke to have also mentioned to me that they have heard bad experiences fom tech support. I honestly have tried to do my very best to let UBISOFT know what happened and spent over 2 Hours of long distance calls to inform to the best of my ability the supervisors of tech support. I did that because I thought the company who care and want to know but the response I got was nothing even close to that.

Thank you,
SC

Soulcommander
06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
UbiRazz you have mail!

DiveDevil
06-13-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow I knew this sim had disk protection on it (only when I was installing it) but I never knew the extent of protection. Reading this thread has made me wonder about the state of my system. You people are telling me that Ubi has installed an unknown driver on my system that may or maynot foul up my DVD burner? Or worse? I gotta say this is news to me, I can be a little naive sometimes about the honesty of software companies and their practices, but they shouldn't exploit that "trust". Screwing up someones system for the sake of copyright protection is absurd. I didn't ask for this I just wanted to play a really cool sim and I think Ubi has gone too far in protecting their interests at the expense of users systems. D amn I knew this was too good to be true. And yes I bought my game.

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 03:23 AM
I´ve never had problems with SF with any of the games which have it: Flaming Cliffs, HL2, SH3...

Mix-Martes86
06-13-2005, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if all of you guys in this forum started to say that your burners don't work. It's clearly proved that SF "overbooks" the units, and no DVD drive would be able to resist such an excess of work for a long time.

CrossWire1969
06-13-2005, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DiveDevil:
Wow I knew this sim had disk protection on it (only when I was installing it) but I never knew the extent of protection. Reading this thread has made me wonder about the state of my system. You people are telling me that Ubi has installed an unknown driver on my system that may or maynot foul up my DVD burner? Or worse? I gotta say this is news to me, I can be a little naive sometimes about the honesty of software companies and their practices, but they shouldn't exploit that "trust". Screwing up someones system for the sake of copyright protection is absurd. I didn't ask for this I just wanted to play a really cool sim and I think Ubi has gone too far in protecting their interests at the expense of users systems. D amn I knew this was too good to be true. And yes I bought my game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well now you know my friend, why do you think so many people are making such a stink over it.
More and more people every day because of problems and hardware failure become devote starforce haters and even the starforce fan boys will one day fall foul to it, just a matter of when, then it will be there turn to whine and moan and cry.

Antrodemus
06-13-2005, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and no DVD drive would be able to resist such an excess of work for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ... ...or rather, my 3 year old 16x LG DVD drive would. Still working perfectly, after having well over 300 DVD movies played on it, and probably around 6 different SF-protected games played, including 3 currently being played.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...then it will be there turn to whine and moan and cry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, we couldn't possibly hope to steal your crown.

BTW, you do realise your persistent use of the word "fanboy" in relation to Starforce has set new, unassailable limits to the term "stupidity"?

A.

CrossWire1969
06-13-2005, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cueceleches:
I´ve never had problems with SF with any of the games which have it: Flaming Cliffs, HL2, SH3... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HL2 don't have the starforce virus, and I€ve never heard of Flaming cliffs.

Zachstar
06-13-2005, 08:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antrodemus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and no DVD drive would be able to resist such an excess of work for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ... ...or rather, my 3 year old 16x LG DVD drive would. Still working perfectly, after having well over 300 DVD movies played on it, and probably around 6 different SF-protected games played, including 3 currently being played.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...then it will be there turn to whine and moan and cry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, we couldn't possibly hope to steal your crown.

BTW, you do realise your persistent use of the word "fanboy" in relation to Starforce has set new, unassailable limits to the term "stupidity"?

A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well some people are so desperate to defend SH3 from the mess of anti-starforce and hate those who communicate in topics such as these.

Well to me thats a true fanboy the only problem is the lack of admittance and I frankly don't get a **** for I am a person who cares to help ubisoft out of this mess by making our voice heard here.

Get used to it as more realise SF's wrath on more than a few.

For those of us who have not had problems with SF on our computers just consider yourselves lucky and quit constantly rubbing it in to the few who have problems please.

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrossWire1969:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cueceleches:
I´ve never had problems with SF with any of the games which have it: Flaming Cliffs, HL2, SH3... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HL2 don't have the starforce virus, and I€ve never heard of Flaming cliffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I may be wrong on HL2...As for Flaming Cliffs is a beautiful addon for Lomac.

Antrodemus
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Zachstar, do you or anyone else who thinks that closing the innumerable SF threads was unreasonable, even realise that Teddy Bar started a "report your real SF problems here" thread weeks ago? I can only guess not, since none of you have posted anything in there. It's not as if the thread was hard to find, being in this forum, and at Subsim & SimHQ.

...and for god's sake stop bleating about so-called "fanboys" and do something positive other than moaning about it. Do you realise how stupid it is to call someone a "fanboy" of a copy-protection software? Get serious, please. I can't think of anyone here, myself included, who actually likes Starforce, or any other intrusive CP, but what we will not do, is stand by and allow people to continually pollute these forums with repeated complaints, downright lies, and most of whom have (not surprisingly) neglected to contribute to Teddy's thread, which was intended to be given to Starforce staff as proof positive of the problems. If you can't participate in that, you clearly have no right to complain here.

A.

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 10:55 AM
To be honest, 90% of the people I´ve read about talking of SF have had no problems at all, so I agree with Antrodemus and feel these kind of posts are kind of useless unless someone really brings anything constructive (myself included)

snowdawg1
06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
I have both Flaming cliffs and SH3 on my system and Starforce has not given me any problems what so ever.

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 11:03 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Right on the spot mate!

CrossWire1969
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM

HL2 don't have the starforce virus, and I€ve never heard of Flaming cliffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I may be wrong on HL2...As for Flaming Cliffs is a beautiful addon for Lomac. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay I give up, what's Lomac?

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Lomac is a combat flight sim. A beautiful one BTW. You can fly the Mig 29, Su 27, Su 33, A-10 , Su 25, and F-15. And Flaming Cliffs is a new addon which brings another flyable, the SU 25T with a very advanced flight modelling and damage modelling.
Is is developped by Eagle Dynamics.
Lomac was the follower of Flanker 2.0.

Supr
06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antrodemus:
Zachstar, do you or anyone else who thinks that closing the innumerable SF threads was unreasonable, even realise that Teddy Bar started a "report your real SF problems here" thread weeks ago? I can only guess not, since none of you have posted anything in there. It's not as if the thread was hard to find, being in this forum, and at Subsim & SimHQ.

...and for god's sake stop bleating about so-called "fanboys" and do something positive other than moaning about it. Do you realise how stupid it is to call someone a "fanboy" of a copy-protection software? Get serious, please. I can't think of anyone here, myself included, who actually likes Starforce, or any other intrusive CP, but what we will not do, is stand by and allow people to continually pollute these forums with repeated complaints, downright lies, and most of whom have (not surprisingly) neglected to contribute to Teddy's thread, which was intended to be given to Starforce staff as proof positive of the problems. If you can't participate in that, you clearly have no right to complain here.

A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Thank you A, you prove that rational people do exist on these forums

Oh, and lockon is a modern jet fighter/bomber sim. Very good if you like that sort of thing, but bring a beefy box to the party.

http://www.lo-mac.com/

Mix-Martes86
06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I beg to differ... ...or rather, my 3 year old 16x LG DVD drive would. Still working perfectly, after having well over 300 DVD movies played on it, and probably around 6 different SF-protected games played, including 3 currently being played. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's lasting too long, in my opinion. You're lucky. The drives were not designed thinking about SF's abuses, so sooner or later they break up, independently of how well built they are.

And, being sincere, I don't think that Teddy's post (a nice try, BTW) will help in avoiding the drives to get damaged. May help people getting errors when checking the disk, etc, but I don't think it will help those who have already lost their drive. I think that the complaints will stop when:

1. Starforce doesn't install intrusive drivers to your pc.
2. Starforce doesn't force the drive to work more than it should, leading to physical drive damage.

Cheers

Antrodemus
06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think that... ...will help in avoiding the drives to get damaged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? Maybe not those drives already (allegedly) affected (by SF), but if SF techs are made to see the (alleged) results of their technology, then they can fix it. How else can someone fix a problem, if not to see or hear what the problem is?

The whole point of Teddy's idea was to bring to light the issues that people are suffering, and to let those who can actually do something about it; Starforce, know the gravity of the situation. I say again, if that doesn't seem like a step in the right direction, I'm afraid I'm at a loss...

Reparations & compensation is something else entirely, and any enquiries of that nature have to be made through the proper channels, and not by shouting from a gaming forum soapbox, and these laughable "Don't underestimate me Ubi!" empty threats do nothing but make the complainant look silly. Very, very silly.

A.

CrossWire1969
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Honestly Antrodemus your so full of it your leaking at the seams.

Soulcommander
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I have posted on Teddy's thread here and a long time ago on the "other" forum. I personally have never lied about anything. And my cdrw drive still works. But I did get an atapi timeout error only when the device is installed in the computer that had SHIII on it. People are having different problems that aren't all the same and its not very intellectual of anyone to Boast that these people are not having problems. You can say your not having problems all you want and WE don't argue with you saying: "OH YES you DO HAVE problems" now do we? No we don't. So don't toot your horn and tell us we are all liars or any thing else.

I have been talking to many people in the industry and I can assure all of you that we are having problems and that there IS problems! Pay no attention to the Starforce supporter's here as time will solve all of these issues I assure you.

Take care..
SC

Nukem_Hicks
06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mix-Martes86:
I wouldn't be surprised if all of you guys in this forum started to say that your burners don't work. It's clearly proved that SF "overbooks" the units, and no DVD drive would be able to resist such an excess of work for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even put two and two together until I started reading this thread, but it makes sense now. I've had a DVD burner that has worked flawlessly for the past year. A few weeks after SH3 came out I tried to burn thousands of images and videos from my most recent spring break on DVDs to give to everyone who went with me. For the first time ever, my DVD burner no longer worked. I had to buy a new one and let me tell you, when you're on a college student's budget those things are **** expensive!

Hopefully Ubi realizes that the US Congress just outlawed software that installs itself onto a person's computer without that person's knowledge and causes damage to the system. This law was implemented to crack down on spyware and viruses, but it seems to me that Starforce would be banned by the legal definitions used in the new law. Obviously Ubisoft, as a French company, would be immune to legal action, but I'm smelling a fairly large civil suit here.

Nukem_Hicks
06-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Reparations & compensation is something else entirely, and any enquiries of that nature have to be made through the proper channels, and not by shouting from a gaming forum soapbox, and these laughable "Don't underestimate me Ubi!" empty threats do nothing but make the complainant look silly. Very, very silly.

A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be graduating relatively soon from Columbia law school with a specialty in tort law (that's lawsuits for the layman). I have several friends graduating from another Ivy League school with specialties in international law (all of whom have also had their computers negatively impacted by Starforce). Trust me, if we desire some sort of compensation for our ruined DVD drives we most certainly have the means of gaining it. I suggest Ubisoft remedy this situation immediately.

steve_v
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nukem_Hicks:
but I'm smelling a fairly large civil suit here.

Trust me, if we desire some sort of compensation for our ruined DVD drives we most certainly have the means of gaining it. I suggest Ubisoft remedy this situation immediately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Talk is cheap. Why don't you pony up some money and take your big talk to court?

Antrodemus
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I can assure all of you that we are having problems that there IS problems! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't read a single word I wrote, have you?

Well, it is now perfectly clear... you people don't want help. You dont want to see these problems fixed either. I know what you really want, you know what you really want, don't you? Go on - I bet not a single soddin' one of you has the cojones to admit what this is really all about.

Gentlemen, it's all yours. Steve, Supr, and the rest - good luck guys, I'm off to enjoy some software. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A.

CrossWire1969
06-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Gentlemen, the troll has left the building.
Now maybe we can get on with the discussion without getting ****ged off every 5 minutes.

Mix-Martes86
06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
... if SF techs are made to see the (alleged) results of their technology, then they can fix it. How else can someone fix a problem, if not to see or hear what the problem is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in my case, I only know the symphtoms (the unit doesn't burn / burns dud discs), so I wouldn't be able to tell a lot about it. And maybe it is a common problem. I don't know. Does Teddy have some answer or whatever?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I bet not a single soddin' one of you has the cojones to admit what this is really all about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, trying to evade the words filter? That word sounds terribly familiar to me...

heheheh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and, I also enjoy SH3, a lot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zachstar
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't want it to come to suit against anyone.

The best thing is its proven that UBI is reading these threads. Dispite the trolls I do think UBI knows they have a serious problem here.

Lets continue our movement to rid UBI of a mistake that can bring it down to its needs for EA to suck up.

Yes the fanboys and trolls will mess with this topic cause they feel that we are against their precious SH3 and UBI.

WE are trying to help! The continued use of Starforce can mean the death of SH4 and guess what. That means NO SH5! Do you want that trolls and fanboys? (BTW I don't mean starforce fanboy I mean UBI/SH3 fanboy That can't stand any dirt to be brought up against either. Tho there might be one 1 or 2 of you SF fans reading this)

Thank yall for sticking with this topic!

CrossWire1969
06-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Agreed, the only way to get anything done about SF is to plead to common sense and customer relations of the publishers themselves. To try and get anything done though the SF company would be a utter waste of time, what they going to do about it? Change there code so it doesn€t effect customers but by doing so would make it to be easier to crack? I don't think so.
I don't want to see SH4 spoilt though the addition of SF, in fact I don€t want to see the ruin of any great game in the name of better copy protection. Just go back to the 200 page comprehensive manual protection, best copy protection ever devised and with zero intrusion.

Hyperion2005
06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi,this is my first post in this forum,actually i hadn't thought before that my SH3 multiplayer login was forum login too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But since today i saw this thread and happened to receive a communication from my local (italian) ubi support,i thought of posting.

I am an ex-Silent Hunter III player now,as i decided to uninstall it at the end,not because my current config has a problem,but because i just don't accept the principle of having it installed anymore.My opinion is that all this is futile,the only way someone can make them understand something,is stop buying such protected games.Personally i was so sick from all this story as well as the Windows activation that i had to do by phone,because i formatted too many times my PC,that made me pass to Linux.A big thanks to Ubi and Microsoft for this.I have dual boot now and intend to get rid of Windows as soon as i can.

Now,back to our subject.I had used Ubi's question form (the phone hotline is dead since April 10) here: http://ubisoft-it.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft_it.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

to ask why on the italian box there isn't any warning about Starforce while on US there is,i made a brief review of the problem i had,also asked why must the legal owner be treated like this,since there is a warning in the manual about the potential conflicts and that a Starforce representative in Ubi coms had a position "it's your fault for having hacking tools or don't know how to build your PC" which i think is insulting.Finally i pointed out that the best protection would be a good old manual even with colour filters or asking questions about "page X,paragraph Y,word Z".
I would love to point the thread to you in that forum,but i m unable to locate it myself.Using the search function i can't find it anywhere.
In any case,as always,in Italy the support centers are late to reply and at the end know fewer than you,so that's why i usually don't even bother asking them.You US guys are lucky.At least you don't have to read such replies.Some interesting passages:

"siamo spiacenti per l'avvenuto. E' per² estremamente improbabile che il programma di protezione del dvd abbia potuto influenzare la performance del lettore cd, in quanto non installa ne driver, ne firmware, ne tantomeno parti nel kernel di Windows. Il programma non modifica il sistema operativo in alcun modo."

"we are sorry for the event.It is though extremely improbable that the protection program of the DVD has influenced the performance of the CD drive,since it doesn't install neither drivers,nor firmware,nor parts in Windows kernel.The program doesn't modify in any way the operating system".

So,just imagine if a kid with no computer knowledge was to have a problem and had to contact them,after 2 weeks he d get that Starforce doesn't actually install any drivers on the system!LOL!I had to give some links like:

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/starforce_interview/page2.asp
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/19/0627242&tid=206 (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/19/0627242&amp;tid=206)
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,10477449~mode=flat~days=9999

and that if he doesn't beleive the above links,he can download for himself Process Explorer (free) from http://www.Sysinternals.com and see under "System" what he ll find (it's before Services,at the same level with Window's pagefile and config).

Also gives here their opinion about what Starforce says:

"Non sono a conoscenza di alcuna affermazione da parte di dipendenti Starforce sui forum, ma l'unico strumento di supporto riconosciuto da Ubisoft ¨ il centro di assistenza a cui lei si st ora rivolgendo."

"I am not aware of any opinion from the part of dependents of Starforce in the forums (i had specified the official ubi.com forums),but the only instrument of support officially recognised from Ubisoft is the assistance center to which you are now refering."

Practically they only recognise themselves as support for the game,so they don't give a **** about what Starforce does or says...The peak of coordination between the 2 companies...

-The explanation of the warning (he didn't reply though on why there wasn't on the box as in the US version):

"Possiamo affermare che non esistano incompatibilit congenite del programma, ma come ogni software esiste un certo grado di incompatibilit a livello utente, ovvero essendo praticamente infinite le possibili configurazioni dei singoli pc ¨ plausibile che su alcune macchine risultino nascano problemi a livello di configurazione o di software. Il nostro avviso ¨ di cautela, indica che ¨ possibile che accada una cosa del genere per questi prodotti."

"We can affirm that there are no innate (congenital) incompatibilities of the program,but as for any software there is a certain degree of incompatibility at user level,that is,being practically infinitive the possible configurations of the single PCs,it is plausible that on some machines some problems are created in configuration or software level.Our warning is of caution,indicates that it is possible that this happens with such products."

"Il rischio di conflitti di questa natura ¨ comune ad ogni software di terze parti ed ¨ dovuto al tentativo di rendere pi difficoltoso aggirare i sistemi di protezione per effettuare copie del gioco
"

"The risk of conflicts of such nature is common for every software of 3rd party and is because of the effort to render more difficult to bypass protection systems to make copies of the game".

My reply was that the deeper a "3rd party" software goes,the higher the probability of conflict,and with Starforce it's as deep as it can go.

Continues that the malfunction of the protection is normal part of these possible problems and part of the techical support etc etc. (what technical support can possible one give that doesn't know that SF has drivers i ll never know)

-About my suggestion on manuals based protection:

"Le soluzioni da lei indicate sono ormai obsolete, Ubisoft cerca di garantire un efficente protezione non a scapito della semplicit d'uso"

"The solutions that you propose are obsolete,Ubisoft tries to garantee an efficient protection,without decreasing the semplicity of use".

I replied that i don't know if it's obsolete,it sure costs more though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also ends by saying that if i think my customer rights were violated,i can indeed seek help in consumer associations and that there is nothing illegal though about the protection itself since the copy of media is subjected to laws that allow copy protection.

For each to make his conclusions.Personally i end my gaming career here,it doesn't worth the trouble to discuss with them.They only understand the pain in their wallet.let alone the ignorance about their own product,it is obvious that the unlucky fellows that have problems have become "acceptable losses",some kind of "collateral damage".There is complete lack of coordination between Ubi and Starforce,they don't even care to read their own forums even after indication to see what SF says in their own forums and at the end,they are Ok with the whole situation.Fortunately if after another 2 weeks i get a reply,i ll be probably out of Italy in vacations http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif anyway,i told him not to bother,i have no further question.The point is ,one buys a game to relax.If instead he must wait 2 weeks for a technical assistance to tell him that there are no drivers installed and that he is part of an expendable part of players with problems,at this point,does it worth losing more time?Just show them that you few with problems might be expendable but not ready to accept to be expendable again.This was my first and last enounter with SF and hopefully with any other present or future such protection,since i ll move completely to Linux.Free at last.

For some SF fans here (they know who they are,although regular posters,they post more about defending SF than about the regular game),in case they say it's all from my mind,here's the mail's headers:

X-Originating-IP: [63.240.89.35]
Return-Path: &lt;hotline@ubisoft.it&gt;
Authentication-Results: mta155.mail.re2.yahoo.com
from=ubisoft.it; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 63.240.89.35 (EHLO mailnj01.rightnowtech.com) (63.240.89.35)
by mta155.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 14 Jun 2005 04:29:55 -0700

bweiss
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
At the moment, Starforce is the only thing about my SH3 that works. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Soulcommander
06-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Something that I havent shared with all of you is Starforce drivers are in your device manager. I thought you guys might like to know. And they do not un-install with the game either. Kind of sneaky to but if you do this you will find them:

Open device manager, go to "view" and click on "show hidden devices" Now look under "non plug and play drivers"

There you will see them.

I never verified if they went away after running the Starforce uninstall utility that Starforce has on their site. I just reformatted.

Hyperion2005
06-14-2005, 12:23 PM
They do disappear from the hidden devices list once used the tool.But i m not sure they do "clean" uninstallation.Cause if you click the exe of the game they are back in a second without even asking to reboot if i remember correctly.So how did they reinstall themselves?Anyway,i formatted too,so can't check for registry entries.

Antrodemus
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
http://star-force.com/forum/index.php

RJMurphy
06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Gentlemen, the troll has left the building.
Now maybe we can get on with the discussion without getting ****ged off every 5 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL....well, it looks like the ****ging will continue CrossWire....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I guess he couldn't get that great software running, must have 'hacking tools' on his computer...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Let me add....just because people here who post problems with Starforce are jumped on...and you no longer hear from them....doesn't mean their problems have also 'disappeared'.
It simply means a potential future customer has disappeared.
They don't wish to continue being exposed to insults.
Just because complaints are becomming less and less, doesn't mean the problems are less, it just means customers have left the building.
Many will eventually quit gaming altogether.

UBI Soft, and Starforce in particular, are in serious danger of doing great harm to the simulator gaming industry.

Forever.

This worrys me....I have much invested in a gaming computer I've built.

Some people here should really have a little better 'vision', if they are really worried about their gaming future, and not just Starforce's immediate future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
And some people here....have curiously similar posting habits as 'Starforce poster boys' on other forums.
Could it be the supporters of 'Starforce' post on other forums, daily, continuously, under different names http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif? Sorta like a JOB. Count up the posts in this thread by individual posters.
Who has time for that!....lol.

By the way....my name's 'Murphy'....everywhere.
I've been around flight simulator forums since 1997, under the same name.
I've NEVER pirated, or illegally copied a game.
I have nothing to hide.
And I see the danger in this Starforce malware, less customers, less flight simulator games.
BADDDDDDD for Murphy.

Fix it UBI.

CrossWire1969
06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bweiss:
At the moment, Starforce is the only thing about my SH3 that works. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol. Soon the label on your game will read "STARFORCE12 even better at krapping up your computer than Starforce 11. WARNING, starforce 12 also installs Silent Hunter 4 onto your system, please note that this game may not be compatable with Starforce 12. All complaints to be reported to the following email address. (Mr Father Christmas@fairyland.southpole "

Zachstar
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
http://star-force.com/forum/index.php </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just don't get it don't you? *sigh*

Ok look SF can go suck it for all I care the goal here is to prevent UBI from using SF in another great game ruining it.

If you will continue to have this mindset that we are attacking SF directly then please bug off.

Our problem is UBI having starforce there are seperate anti-starforce movements out there for people who want SF gone period. This is about preventing SF from appearing in any further UBI software.

Redwine
06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Put me on the list, i am one of those who had Starforce problems.

Mix-Martes86
06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hyperion2005:
"we are sorry for the event.It is though extremely improbable that the protection program of the DVD has influenced the performance of the CD drive,since it doesn't install neither drivers,nor firmware,nor parts in Windows kernel.The program doesn't modify in any way the operating system". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they really say that? What a total lie. Or a total unknowledge of their own products, and Ubi should be ashamed of that.
They say it doesn't install any drivers, but I see them in the Windows device manager. They say it doesn't affect the DVD's performance. Then why do I hear strange noises?

This starts to look like we're trying to be fooled. And that's the worst thing they could do.

CrossWire1969
06-15-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't know the exact amount of drivers and stuff SF installs but I remember reading someplace the figure 16, seems like a lot of drivers/spyware/malware what ever you want to call it. This is just something I read and not fact, maybe someone out there know the total amount of shat that SF dumps on your system, if so please share your knowledge.
I know it has hidden stuff and quite allot of registry entries.

Originally posted by Hyperion2005:
"we are sorry for the event.It is though extremely improbable that the protection program of the DVD has influenced the performance of the CD drive,since it doesn't install neither drivers,nor firmware,nor parts in Windows kernel.The program doesn't modify in any way the operating system".

I just don't believe it, that is sooooo bad.

HKLE
06-15-2005, 12:15 AM
No real problems but a lot of annoyance ...

... is the fact, that I start the game (with DVD inserted) and afterwards have enough time to make coffee, read my kids some small book stories ...

... and still see the SHIII loading screen after 5-8 minutes !

Mylo42
06-15-2005, 12:40 AM
My system has been doing all kinds of "wierd" stuff ever since I installed SHIII. Coincidence ?? I don't know. I'm not computer savy enought to be able to figure it out. I'll likely have to do a reformat. If I would have known about this Starforce thing, I likely wouldn't have bought SHIII.....as much as I really enjoy the game.

Put me on the list of gamers who:

Never pirated a game or used a pirated game.
Always spend tons of money on games.
Feel manipulated by the copy protection stuff that I didn't know I was installing (If that's my ignorance, I guess it's lesson learned but I don't think the warning, if any, was very clear on the SHIII box).

.....now, how the heck am I going to fix this computer ??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

The Avon Lady
06-15-2005, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zachstar:
http://star-force.com/forum/index.php </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just don't get it don't you? *sigh*

Ok look SF can go suck it for all I care the goal here is to prevent UBI from using SF in another great game ruining it.

If you will continue to have this mindset that we are attacking SF directly then please bug off.

Our problem is UBI having starforce there are seperate anti-starforce movements out there for people who want SF gone period. This is about preventing SF from appearing in any further UBI software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A good class action suit in a US court is what would be needed.

I hear Michael Jackson's lawyers are available at the moment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

CrossWire1969
06-15-2005, 01:28 AM
LOL Avon Lady. That would be read worthy news indeed.
Nice to see you on one off these radical (I€m going to change the world and make it a better place by the eradication of starforce) discussions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's not really the place for a Lady though, to much bad language, ****ging, in post bickering, personal insults and poo flinging for any Lady to be subject to.

Soulcommander
06-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I have posted on Teddy's thread here and a long time ago on the "other" forum. I personally have never lied about anything. And my cdrw drive still works. But I did get an atapi timeout error only when the device is installed in the computer that had SHIII on it. People are having different problems that aren't all the same and its not very intellectual of anyone to Boast that these people are not having problems. You can say your not having problems all you want and WE don't argue with you saying: "OH YES you DO HAVE problems" now do we? No we don't. So don't toot your horn and tell us we are all liars or any thing else.

I have been talking to many people in the industry and I can assure all of you that we are having problems and that there IS problems! Pay no attention to the Starforce supporter's here as time will solve all of these issues I assure you.

Take care..
SC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update....

I know this may sound crazy but my cdrw drive just failed. UBIrazz if you see this post please have Brent give me a call ASAP. (Never mind UBIRAZZ I called and left a message. Thanks!)

Heres the deal. I spoke to Brent Tuesday with UBISOFT about the incident I had with a UBI tech over the phone swearing. She is no longer there! And I'm glad she addmitted that she swore. So guys on the forum can stop with the flames already concerning this....
Anyway Brent asked if I would reinstall SHIII on a new formatted machine. I told him I would entertain that Idea.....

Well I loaded SHIII again. My wife and I just had our 25th wedding anniversary and so I loaded all the pics on the puter to be burnt to cdr. I noticed that the cdrw Plextore 40/12/40a drive was taking twice as long to burn. After it was finished I got the error message: Plextor error seek, synch,Atip or mechanical positioning error-medium error 03/02/00

And after the burn the drive will now NOT read any cd I throw in it and the light is blinking 9 times in a row then a pause and back to 9 blinks. Also the puter will not reboot and go back into windows unless I have the tray open (the light still blinks with the tray open too)
But the tray will not close on its own now.

I never tried to use the drive when I had SHIII installed. And frankly I was skeptical about the persons posting here about their drives failing. Now it appears mine has.

I uninstalled SHIII again....Inoticed again the drivers were still showing up under non plug and play drivers in device manager...so I ran the Starforce uninstaller and they are now gone however the drive still isnt working and at this time the tray is open or I wouldnt be able to come here and do anything on the computer as it keeps me from opening anything.

SO the question is..... IS this a Starforce problem? I have not had time to remove the drive and install in the computer at my work to test it.

I will have to try that. But in the mean time can you guys that have had problems tell me what occurred?????????????????

Also I need Brent to call me...

He has my number Ubirazz... I dont have his email sorry. I can try to send through email tech support tho to see if they deliever it to him if you don't have the means.

Thank you!

GT182
06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Just a thought. Have you tried looking into the compatability of your HDD and motherboard?

Reason being, I had a HDD crash back in April and I lost everything. Reason was incompatability. I'm running an Asus P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard and had a Western Digital Cavaiar SE HDD running with it. I took it back to BestBuy to see what I could do as it was still under warranty. While waitng at the servise desk I happened to talk to 3 workers on the floor in the HDD section. Told them my problem and guess what they had to say? An IDE HDD is not compatable with this motherboard. A SATA HDD is what will work. Why you say. All three of them have the same motherboard and had the same problem. When they switched over to the SATA HDD all their problems were solved. Now don't say it's not possible.... My IDE HDD seemingly worked fine for 2 months but in the long run burnt it's self out using the wrong motherboard. With the Maxtor SATA HDD installed now everything is working fine, except that on start-up I get the message my Secondary Drive(Lite-on CD-ROM) is not ATAPI compatable... but it works ok. Why, I don't know so far, but I'm looking into it.

As I said, it's just something you should look into. I'm not saying it's your problem SC but at least it's worth checking into. It's on thing that I've never seen expalined anywhere on what works with what, especially if you happen to build your own computer. Asus didn't even have an answer but now they know what happened and can let others know.

Post your DX Dialog, as someone might see something you've missed.

Good luck.

Soulcommander
06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
You spent sp much time GT182 writing that and thank you but its not a hard drive issue. Its the CDRW drive. And this computer has been running for almost 2 years. Does not have sata capability either. The CDRW drive is just over a year old itself and has had very little use. Maybe has burnt less than 30 cdr- cdrw's But thanks for your effort anyway.

Soulcommander
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UbiRazz:

A personal thank you to you UBIRAZZ! You do care and thank you.

Mylo42
06-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Someone is in poo poo ..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif(tech support staff).

merigo
06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Thought I would let everyone know. I bought Area 51 and had problems installing. It asked me to reboot and stalled during the disc check. Made me think of Starforce.

I couldn't find the Starforce drivers hidden in the device manager. I thought maybe Starforce wasn't installed after all. I finally found the Starforce drivers in the Windows System 32 drivers folder. They begin with SFDRV01. Just highlight anything beginning with SF and you will find them there. Some of you might already know this but just in case.

I was able to remove them with the removal tool. After removal of Starforce everything worked fine.

I made my local store refund my Splinter Cell purchase and have begun a "personal awareness program" in my area to inform the unsuspecting as to what could possibly go wrong with Starforce infected games. I've been having a lot of success. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

merigo
06-15-2005, 05:08 PM
After reading a previous post about incompatibility I got to thinking. I have brand new intensive games running fine on my PC, that do not have Starforce.

It is not my system that is incompatible with Starforce games. Its Starforce games that are not compatible with my PC. I think I would notice something with my other games, software and hardware.

This stubborn insistence to use Starforce does not bode well for PC gaming. It opens the door for even more invasive and more potentially damaging schemes. Why not put more resources into catching and prosecuting the pirates?

Mjollnir111675
06-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I believe if 1-C maddox utilized *farce that maybe they wouldn't have the patch scammin' issues that they are havin'! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

Sam1975_z
06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJMurphy:
Let me add....just because people here who post problems with Starforce are jumped on...and you no longer hear from them....doesn't mean their problems have also 'disappeared'.
It simply means a potential future customer has disappeared.
They don't wish to continue being exposed to insults.
Just because complaints are becomming less and less, doesn't mean the problems are less, it just means customers have left the building.
Many will eventually quit gaming altogether. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, Murphy. I finally decided to format my hd. Although i downloaded the removal tool, i never used it. The saddest thing about this affair (at least for me, i've been waiting so long for this game) is that i also removed SH3, (forever? who knows?) untill someone does something to fix this mess. Anyway, i have a new joy: i can burn DVD and CD again. And i've learned the lesson. SF? No, thanks.

Mix-Martes86
06-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Quite sad. I hope my DVD reader won't get damaged just because of this non-sense.

RJMurphy
06-16-2005, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
I believe if 1-C maddox utilized *farce that maybe they wouldn't have the patch scammin' issues that they are havin'! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What in the world are you saying?
Ahhhhh I'm a flight simmer....been playing IL2/FB/PF for YEARS.
Pacific Fighters has no 'issues'.
'Leaked patch 4.0' is the same as patch 4.1, with a couple minor fixes in the 109.
The game doesn't utilize 'Starfarce'....hence, it works fine, no serious 'issues' like.... non-functioning CD burners, broken DVD drives, constant CTDs...or installing hidden drivers in your operating system. Cleanup your own backyard before pointing the finger.
The reason 1C releases 'leaked' patches is he knows the community can find a bug faster than any 'beta' test team in the field http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
IMHO it's done on the sly, to avoid legal UBI constraints on Oleg.
It works.

What ever 'scammin' issues' is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif.

Throwing meaningless labels around?...how bout catching this one.....'Grasping at straws' backing the WRONG side of an issue.

I wonder what the Starforce backers are going to say when it's finally banned, and a new 'better developed' copy protection system is used....and people 'in the know' admit how 'sick' it was, and how much damage it did to the gaming community, and people's computers. How much lost information/photos/records and damaged equipment, and most of all wasted time, people had to experience before it was finally taken off the market.

You gonna be proud you backed Starforce....and kept it on the market longer?

... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif ......I don't think so.

Mjollnir111675
06-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Loosen yer @55hat there man!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif= Off beat humor!!

Sorry ya missed it!

O&BTW: I could live just fine without *farce.
And I am seriously hopin it will not be included with any of 1-C's future offerings.

RJMurphy
06-16-2005, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:

"I believe if 1-C maddox utilized *farce that maybe they wouldn't have the patch scammin' issues that they are havin'!"
------------------------

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif= Off beat humor!!

Sorry ya missed it!

O&BTW: I could live just fine without *farce.
And I am seriously hopin it will not be included with any of 1-C's future offerings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
------------------------

Oh...yea....now I get it.....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif......

GenericUser
06-17-2005, 06:46 AM
I think that the "glory" days of StarForce are past anyway. A while ago it took quite some time before cracks for SF protected games were released, but now they're coming out pretty quickly. SH3 for example was cracked even before the first patch came out.

I still dislike SF though, not just on philosophical grounds, but also because of the money that it's cost me in coasters and the worrying noises that my burner and DVD drive used to make. If anyone does start a class action against them, publicise the fact. I'll contribute money towards it.

Soulcommander
06-17-2005, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GenericUser:
I think that the "glory" days of StarForce are past anyway. A while ago it took quite some time before cracks for SF protected games were released, but now they're coming out pretty quickly. SH3 for example was cracked even before the first patch came out.

I still dislike SF though, not just on philosophical grounds, but also because of the money that it's cost me in coasters and the worrying noises that my burner and DVD drive used to make. If anyone does start a class action against them, publicise the fact. I'll contribute money towards it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GenericUser, or anyone who had issues with a DVD-RW or CDRW drive please post here.
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=337896#337896

JCC2003
06-17-2005, 01:03 PM
But read the warnings here...

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38221&postd...storder=asc&start=25 (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38221&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder=asc&amp;sta rt=25)

before posting on this subject first!

JCC
Subsim Moderator

GenericUser
06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Soulcommander:

Thank you, although I personally have no interest in actually helping the makers of StarForce. They don't have my interests at heart, quite the opposite in fact, so I'd rather see the last of them.

Soulcommander
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GenericUser:
Soulcommander:

Thank you, although I personally have no interest in actually helping the makers of StarForce. They don't have my interests at heart, quite the opposite in fact, so I'd rather see the last of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand the frustration for sure. The reason for the post at subsim isn't to help or destroy Starforce. It's for all of us who pay Money for good games only to get screwed over by a possible problem. We want to figure this problem out and so does UBISOFT. I'm doing it for Ubi so that the future of our beloved Sim games will not be destroyed. So if you or anyone had a problem please PM me here or at Subsim with detailed info as to what happened.

We all should want to get to the bottom of this! Lets do it!

SC

zorin2006
02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I think UBISOFT with StarForce drove the copy protection issue beyond any reasonable limit, the company is preventing with this system even the authorized users to use their products. There were here some complains that someone couldn't install a game more than 5 times. Let me tell you something, I could't install Silent Hunter III even one time. And why is that? Because I previously closed any Windows open doors ofering opportunities for some programs to install something that I am not aware of. And as StarForce is a sneaky peace of software, could't pass to my hard drive unattended, so I cannot install the game. I first phoned my DVD-ROM manufacturer, than to UBISOFT Support, then the UBISOFT guy sent me to StarForce website to download something he didn't had a clue, he just said that I have to download something from there, but he didn't remember what. After all these, a quick google is revealing a whole debate, controvercy, boycott, and who knows what else, on StarForse Isuue. I confess, I am new to this issue but after google gave me more that 200 hits, most of them with complaints on StarForce issues, I can tell, I will never buy, and I will advise all the persons I know to never buy something from a company that uses StarForce and is installing something only they know about on your hard drive. And I repeat, with this one Ubisoft drove the copy protection beyond any reasonable limit. If allowed I have a little piece if advise for the Ubisoft guys about the ultimate copy protection system: after recording your disks skratch them, some sand paper will do very good. This way none can ever copy those disks, you will have the absolute proof copy protection system you desire. And no licence is required to use this method.

A Former Ubisoft Customer

bogusheadbox
02-28-2006, 05:46 AM
No problems here with starforce.

Is it becuase i do not use emulation software?

Kaleun1961
02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!! Another "Attack of the Newbs" and the resurrection of a thread that was dead and buried for 8 months! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Acunnon
02-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I do not hack,crack, emulate, cheat, or steal and I have still had problems with starforce. Fellers, Ubi will not change they have lost grip with reality and no longer care about happy customers.