PDA

View Full Version : Are we guaranteed to be able to play, or is it basically a rental?

foxhound6364
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Before I buy this game for the PC, I would like to know if Ubisoft has given any guarantees about how long we are going to be able to play this game, or if there are any laws protecting us from Ubisoft.

As most of you know, it is not uncommon for companies to remove their DRM servers, leaving customers with useless products. WalMart actually did this with their online music store, costing people hundreds of dollars. If a HUGE company like WalMart does that, I feel very unsafe spending $60 (BTW, why is this game $60? That is kind of a ripoff) on a game that could have the same problems.

So, are we at least guaranteed at least some play time, or is this just a REALLY expensive rental that can be due back at any time, without notice?

foxhound6364
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Before I buy this game for the PC, I would like to know if Ubisoft has given any guarantees about how long we are going to be able to play this game, or if there are any laws protecting us from Ubisoft.

As most of you know, it is not uncommon for companies to remove their DRM servers, leaving customers with useless products. WalMart actually did this with their online music store, costing people hundreds of dollars. If a HUGE company like WalMart does that, I feel very unsafe spending $60 (BTW, why is this game $60? That is kind of a ripoff) on a game that could have the same problems.

So, are we at least guaranteed at least some play time, or is this just a REALLY expensive rental that can be due back at any time, without notice?

Dreossk
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't recommend you to buy this game. I got it yesterday and it took 1 day for it to stop working. Forget Ubisoft, they are technically unable to handle their creations and they lack the competence to prevent the obvious problems that were waiting to happen.

felden
03-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I bought this game over the weekend on steam, and was able to play it for 4 hours last night. Now today I try to log in and cant get past a screen that says can't connect to the master server. I paid 60 bucks to not be able to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME when I want to.

kleaneasy
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Ubisoft has said if they decide at any time to close the games servers they will patch out the DRM

That said I would ask you continue any discussion on the subject within the existing threads. Thanks

foxhound6364
03-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Oh. Do you think it will be temporary, like the whole Steam thing, or is this going to be a long term issue?

Also, why doesn't Ubisoft have some kind of system where we can show them our receipt or something, and be excluded from this BS?