PDA

View Full Version : Cracked CD...Literally

crenny
02-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Man, I love PF, but within a month of buying it, I removed Disc 2 from the plastic case only to find it had cracked from the inside ring half-way to the outside. Because of this guess what?...the disc will not read and therefore I can't play the game. Has anyone else had this problem? Upon further inspection the inside ring of PF looks much flimsier than the one from FB or AEP. Is this the result of cheaper compact discs?! For shame if so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crenny
02-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Man, I love PF, but within a month of buying it, I removed Disc 2 from the plastic case only to find it had cracked from the inside ring half-way to the outside. Because of this guess what?...the disc will not read and therefore I can't play the game. Has anyone else had this problem? Upon further inspection the inside ring of PF looks much flimsier than the one from FB or AEP. Is this the result of cheaper compact discs?! For shame if so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

actionhank1786
02-17-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm not for sure about this, but i'm willing to bet if you find the Ubi Soft number, and give them a call, they'd be more than happy to replace your disk if it arrived that way, since that is their problem not yours (Unless you failed to scan the box with X-ray vision...then shame on you...)
But if that doesnt work, you may just have to repurchase

DRB_Hookech0
02-17-2005, 09:52 AM
We ran into this problem with MW4 and after a period of extended used in a cd drive, disks would start to crack. I once had to replace the entire drive because the MW4 disk broke in 2 while readign and completly FUBAR'd the drive.

Someone at the time said the Tech support people told him a cd was good for 6000 to 10000 cycles, with a cycle being every time the cd is spun for reading. Weather true or BS, who knows, I just chalked it up to a bad batch of psyical disks.

crenny
02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
The problem is that it must have happened while removing it from the large spindle in the box. I guess I'll just have to find my boy who works for UBISOFT and see if he can do anything. All I know is that you used to have to do a lot more to early CD's to crack them. You could almost bend them into a cylinder before they'd break, and usually then they would shatter. Try it with your old New Kids on the Block CD, well worth the fun.

Stupid cheap plastic that's expensive.

DuxCorvan
02-17-2005, 01:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crenny:
Try it with your old New Kids on the Block CD, well worth the fun. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a New Kids on the Block CD? Man, how embarrasing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

steve_v
02-17-2005, 01:50 PM
UbiSoft will gladly replace the disc for a small fee providing you send them the damaged disc. How about this?

MY pacific fighters cd exploded!
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=3101099862&p=1

Troll2k
02-17-2005, 02:36 PM
I have heard of serveral cases of cds exploding and actually had one come to my shop.I had to dismantle the cd rom drive to pull all the pieces out.Fortunately it did not hurt anything, it just jammed the tray.

52x cd drives spin rather fast and some cheap disks can not stand the speed.

Call Ubi and they should send you a new disk in exchange.

crenny
02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

You have a New Kids on the Block CD? Man, how embarrasing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one would ever admit to actually owning that CD, that's why u break it.

nickdanger3
02-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I got AEP with a crack in it and Ubi charged me $10 for a replacement.

psychobabbler
02-17-2005, 07:16 PM
crenny, i had a disk come apart inside the tray.
i sent them the peices plus 10 bucks and they
sent me a new disk.

Siwarrior
02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
This Senerio was on Mythbusters lol.
Exploding discs inside of drives

SeminoleX
02-18-2005, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:

52x cd drives spin rather fast and some cheap disks can not stand the speed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You hit the nail on the head. Cheap cds. Read cost cutting.

I bought one of the first microwaves after they became commercially available. The fear of radiation and it's unknown effects caused manufactureres to build the first models like Tiger tanks. Mine's still working as good as new after more than 25 years of steady and hard use. I see the ones in the stores today and they give the impression as if they might last 5 years with luck.

It's the same with cds. The first ones were made sturdy but the quality has gone down ever since as the "cheapness" envelope has been pushed and exploited.

It will take a product recall or a few lawsuits ,maybe, to stop this exploding in the drive nonsense.