PDA

View Full Version : here's how to auto-restart/run as service/alternate credentials DEDI SERVER

s-a-l-t-y
02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Although I have no answers to the PB dilema, or why Vegas crashes so often in the first place.... here is a way to run R6Vegas_Game.exe as a windows "service" and therefore be able to start at system boot (if you desire), monitor it, run it with alternate security credentials (ie. local system), and be able to restart it!

Here's how,

1. Go to http://www.codeproject.com/system/xyntservice.asp and download a little app made by Xiangyang Liu called "XYNTServiceProject.zip"

2. Extract XYNTService.exe and XYNTService.ini from the .zip and place in your %systemroot%\gamepath\Binaries folder. (folder which contains the R6Vegas_game.exe file.

3. I renamed the XYNTService.exe and XYNTService.ini to R6Vegas_Service.exe and R6Vegas_Service.ini respectively (I have more than one instance of this service for different apps)

4. Goto Start > Run > and enter "cmd" (without quotes) into the run field, then hit enter.

5. In the command prompt window navigate to your %systemroot%\gamepath\Binaries folder.

cd\ <--hit ENTER after each command
cd "\program files\tom clancy's rainbow six vegas\binaries" <--use quotes around the path
dir <--to verify that the service .exe and .ini are there
r6vegas_service -i <--this installs the service to your "services" list in administrative tools.

6. Now we need to modify the service .ini file. Open the r6vegas_service.ini using notepad. Here is my sample .ini

[Settings]
ServiceName=R6Vegas_Dedicated <--the name under which it will show in the "services" list
CheckProcessSeconds = 120 <--how often to check if service still running
[Process0]
CommandLine = f:\games\rainbow six vegas\binaries\R6Vegas_Game.exe SERVER MP_Mexico_01?AgO=1?AgU=username?AgP=password?SrvOp tionFile=KellerServerOptions?RC=10?TBR=30?PB=1?GAM E=R6Game.R6TeamDeathmatchGame?TKPM=5?FF=1?TL=300?M P=16?TB=5? -log <--all on one line
WorkingDir= f:\games\rainbow six vegas\binaries\ <--path to binaries folder
PauseStart= <-- not needed
PauseEnd= <-- not needed
UserInterface = Yes <-- wether or not you can see it in taskmanager
Restart = Yes <-- here's the restart command http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WARNING!! the "CheckProcessSeconds=" value should NOT be set too low as you may not be able to down your server to make changes. I speak from experience!!! ;0

7. Now navigate to "Administrative Tools" > "Services" (alternatively run "services.msc" from the START > RUN field) and check the properties for the newly installed service "R6Vegas_Dedicated" (or whatever you called it in the .ini file value "ServiceName=") By default it will be set to start automaticaly. Here you may also change which credentials the service should run under. I've left mine at the default "local system" and the service runs fine. DO NOT change the "restart" settings here in the properties, that is what the .ini is for!

8. As soon as you right-click on the new service name and click "START" the service will start, which will in turn start your server!

I have tested and implemented all of the above on my server (KI.KillingField). To those of you who were on my server late last night and got booted when the server crashed. The service did NOT fail! I simply went to bed! :-p

To those who are averse to cli's and typing (averse to controlling their own destiny....hehe) a GUI to admin the above service can be found at the same website http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/XYNTServiceWrapper.asp
I have NOT used the GUI so please no questions related to the GUI (I'm sure it's self-explanatory anyway!)

See you peeps in game!

s-a-l-t-y
02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Although I have no answers to the PB dilema, or why Vegas crashes so often in the first place.... here is a way to run R6Vegas_Game.exe as a windows "service" and therefore be able to start at system boot (if you desire), monitor it, run it with alternate security credentials (ie. local system), and be able to restart it!

Here's how,

1. Go to http://www.codeproject.com/system/xyntservice.asp and download a little app made by Xiangyang Liu called "XYNTServiceProject.zip"

2. Extract XYNTService.exe and XYNTService.ini from the .zip and place in your %systemroot%\gamepath\Binaries folder. (folder which contains the R6Vegas_game.exe file.

3. I renamed the XYNTService.exe and XYNTService.ini to R6Vegas_Service.exe and R6Vegas_Service.ini respectively (I have more than one instance of this service for different apps)

4. Goto Start &gt; Run &gt; and enter "cmd" (without quotes) into the run field, then hit enter.

5. In the command prompt window navigate to your %systemroot%\gamepath\Binaries folder.

cd\ &lt;--hit ENTER after each command
cd "\program files\tom clancy's rainbow six vegas\binaries" &lt;--use quotes around the path
dir &lt;--to verify that the service .exe and .ini are there
r6vegas_service -i &lt;--this installs the service to your "services" list in administrative tools.

6. Now we need to modify the service .ini file. Open the r6vegas_service.ini using notepad. Here is my sample .ini

[Settings]
ServiceName=R6Vegas_Dedicated &lt;--the name under which it will show in the "services" list
CheckProcessSeconds = 120 &lt;--how often to check if service still running
[Process0]
CommandLine = f:\games\rainbow six vegas\binaries\R6Vegas_Game.exe SERVER MP_Mexico_01?AgO=1?AgU=username?AgP=password?SrvOp tionFile=KellerServerOptions?RC=10?TBR=30?PB=1?GAM E=R6Game.R6TeamDeathmatchGame?TKPM=5?FF=1?TL=300?M P=16?TB=5? -log &lt;--all on one line
WorkingDir= f:\games\rainbow six vegas\binaries\ &lt;--path to binaries folder
PauseStart= &lt;-- not needed
PauseEnd= &lt;-- not needed
UserInterface = Yes &lt;-- wether or not you can see it in taskmanager
Restart = Yes &lt;-- here's the restart command http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WARNING!! the "CheckProcessSeconds=" value should NOT be set too low as you may not be able to down your server to make changes. I speak from experience!!! ;0

7. Now navigate to "Administrative Tools" &gt; "Services" (alternatively run "services.msc" from the START &gt; RUN field) and check the properties for the newly installed service "R6Vegas_Dedicated" (or whatever you called it in the .ini file value "ServiceName=") By default it will be set to start automaticaly. Here you may also change which credentials the service should run under. I've left mine at the default "local system" and the service runs fine. DO NOT change the "restart" settings here in the properties, that is what the .ini is for!

8. As soon as you right-click on the new service name and click "START" the service will start, which will in turn start your server!

I have tested and implemented all of the above on my server (KI.KillingField). To those of you who were on my server late last night and got booted when the server crashed. The service did NOT fail! I simply went to bed! :-p

To those who are averse to cli's and typing (averse to controlling their own destiny....hehe) a GUI to admin the above service can be found at the same website http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/XYNTServiceWrapper.asp
I have NOT used the GUI so please no questions related to the GUI (I'm sure it's self-explanatory anyway!)

See you peeps in game!

hoellenfeuer
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

s-a-l-t-y
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
you're welcome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just trying to help this community stay alive.

KI.Canyon
02-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Awesome, Monk. Great post.

g2.DeCiph3reD
02-06-2007, 11:43 PM
create a Logs folder in your kellergame folder, and paste the logs here....Lets see if it still accepts duplicate IPs. I joined the server earlier when it was empty, and the browser seemed accurate, but no one joined.

s-a-l-t-y
02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Haven't had the server up in a few days been busy hosting a dedi server for the Armed Assault demo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, had it up again last night. Browser was accurate, no duplicate IP's and since I relaxed PB a little no PB kicks. Server CTD'd only once 30min into hosting and once the service came back up by itself it switched maps from the initial one six times with no problems (I shutdown the server and went to bed after the last map change).

I will have the server up again later this evening. (KI.KillingField)

g2.DeCiph3reD
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Any way you can post your log from the kellergame folder?

RH-Tabasco
02-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Has anyone tried Fire Daemon?

GhostSquad-OC3
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RH-Tabasco:
Has anyone tried Fire Daemon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive Tried FireDeamon, gives an error that the string is to long so thats a no go. the problem i have is keeping the server on the Server lists not crashing.

s-a-l-t-y
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
&gt;&gt;Quoting GhostSquad:
&gt;&gt;"the problem i have is keeping the server on the Server lists not crashing."

You should re-read my original post. Here is the part that should help...
".... here is a way to run R6Vegas_Game.exe as a windows "service" and therefore be able to start at system boot (if you desire), monitor it, run it with alternate security credentials (ie. local system), and be able to restart it!"

Running the game with "local system" credentials gets all sorts of security issues out of the way which (thanks to not having any contact with the devs at all) we have no way of knowing might have been the cause for dropping off the browser list. My solution here isn't just a solution for a crash-restart, it's also a way of running a process with "system" privs and therefore getting around possible security and memory issues.

RH-Tabasco
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GhostSquad-OC3:
Ive Tried FireDeamon, gives an error that the string is to long so thats a no go. the problem i have is keeping the server on the Server lists not crashing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I run our other servers with Fire Daemon, but haven't tried Vegas yet due to the DVD issue

GhostSquad-OC3
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RH-Tabasco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GhostSquad-OC3:
Ive Tried FireDeamon, gives an error that the string is to long so thats a no go. the problem i have is keeping the server on the Server lists not crashing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I run our other servers with Fire Daemon, but haven't tried Vegas yet due to the DVD issue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which DVD issue i may be able to help you out on that get ahold of me on xfire.

s-a-l-t-y
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
GhostSquad and RH-Tabasco you missed the point of this thread and therefore somewhat derailed a possibly helpful solution to serveradmins.

Applying the suggestions I made in my initial posting have a multitude of benefits including but not limited to...

1. running the game .exe as a windows service allows you to choose alternate security privileges which in all of my testing has in fact helped calm down PB somewhat.

2. running the game .exe as a windows service seems to cause it to have a smaller mem footprint (use less memory) and not suffer from a memory leak which caused a crash in certain circumstances.

3. running the game .exe as a windows service also has the last benefit of enabling an auto-restart of the server should it in fact completely crash.

I am the director of operations for 2 IT businesses and actually have a need to run processes as services on a routine basis. My work knowledge lent itself to trying some things with the Vegas .exe and I have found my dedicated server is in fact running much better than others by employing my earlier suggestions.

My server always shows up correctly in the server browser and by running the service with local system privileges and relaxing a few PB settings it is pretty rare to get auto PB-banned from my server these days. (the alternate security privs seems to have solved the PB duplicate IP dilema......at least for me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

I would think that in the light of my conclusions this thread should be "stickied" to allow further and more complete testing of my solutions, so that in the event this game ever does get patched again ( we can keep hoping! ) things will work better all around.

"the Wise learn to swim, by watching Fools drown." -- the Monk

DX-GAME
04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Great!

Now, how to creat a LAN server?

Mysticaly
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
sticky this please!

s-a-l-t-y
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysticaly:
sticky this please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping the mods might pay attention! One definitive way of keeping this flagging game-community alive is to ensure that those few who still can't leave this "hole-in-my-pocket-where-my-money-used-to-be"; would be to do whatever it takes to help the server admins in getting their servers to be as stable as possible.

Answering your request Mysticaly seems like a small step for server admins but a rather large leap for this dying game.

RLCSeMPeRFi
04-11-2007, 04:30 PM
You may want to change the command string in your ini file. It should eliminate the server crashes completely. More info here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3801065024/m/8921009745

I'm going to implement your service configs and do some testing tonight and I'll give you an update tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

s-a-l-t-y
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RLCSeMPeRFi:
You may want to change the command string in your ini file. It should eliminate the server crashes completely. More info here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3801065024/m/8921009745

I'm going to implement your service configs and do some testing tonight and I'll give you an update tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had already changed the command string on my server "KI.KillingField", but thanks for the reminder......guess I should edit my original post from Feb 6th/07...lol
Been busy with work, and haven't had much of chance to check in here.