PDA

View Full Version : How to control separate wheel brakes while on the ground....

gulfcoastfella
12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
In case you need to know but can't find it in the manual or controls card....

To engage the left wheel brake, hit the brake key while giving the airplane left rudder. This will only engage the left wheel brake and not the right.

To engage the right wheel brake, hit the brake key while giving the airplane right rudder. This will only engage the right wheel brake and not the left.

Cheers.

gulfcoastfella
12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
In case you need to know but can't find it in the manual or controls card....

To engage the left wheel brake, hit the brake key while giving the airplane left rudder. This will only engage the left wheel brake and not the right.

To engage the right wheel brake, hit the brake key while giving the airplane right rudder. This will only engage the right wheel brake and not the left.

Cheers.

DD_NL
12-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Wow, never knew that. Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NoBunny
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Great Tip - Thanks!

BSS_Vidar
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
That's definatley the way the IL-2 series is modeled. But for flight deck ops, it's a bit cumbersome. The only time you get full lock on either wheele is with full rudder deflection. If we had independant braking like we should in carrier aircraft, we should be able to lock a wheele regardless to rudder position. Guarding the swing side during a pivot on deck with the current input is too slow in responce - but with time, you learn to manage it. I still hope for the day when we get independant toe braking from Olegs team.

JG51Beolke
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Wow, in all the years I've been flying this sim, I never knew that. Thanks for the tip....

Philipscdrw
12-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Yeah, the axi controls have been more or less the same since v1.0. I would like left/right wheel brakes (ALTHOUGH: That isn't realistic for some aircraft. Many (mainly non-American) aircraft had a hand-brake on the control column and differential brakes controlled via the rudder.) Actually, maybe having different braking systems for different aircraft would just be confusing...

I really, really want axi for left/right engines throttle (i.e. engine 1 and 2 on TB3 assigned to one axis) and individual engine throttles on individual axi.

And flaps on a slider? That's cheating a bit really, unless it would work like the Me-163 throttle when it was new, jumping from 0 to 33% to 66% to 100%...

S1rkillalot
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Better that than another keys to map....I have enough of them...

Fliger747
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
You can still map the brake function to a pedal, it's more convinent than trying to hit the stick, rudder and throttle and brake onthe keyboard all at the same time, which is sometimes required.

It's just not the independant brake/rudder system we should have, but it works.

x__CRASH__x
12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
That's definatley the way the IL-2 series is modeled. But for flight deck ops, it's a bit cumbersome. The only time you get full lock on either wheele is with full rudder deflection. If we had independant braking like we should in carrier aircraft, we should be able to lock a wheele regardless to rudder position. Guarding the swing side during a pivot on deck with the current input is too slow in responce - but with time, you learn to manage it. I still hope for the day when we get independant toe braking from Olegs team. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt we will ever see individual locking breaks since using the rudder to control brakes has been in the game since the first release of the original IL-2. However, for PF with carrier borne aircraft, I have noticed that the brakes are much stronger, and the aircraft is able to turn on a much tighter radius. I'm able to taxi around the deck in a Corsair or Hellcat, but if I put a bf-109 on deck (and believe me, I have) I usually fall over the side.

Plus the wing fold and the tailhook on the bf-109G10 don't seem to be working. An obvious bug. But we'll have to hope that 3.03 fixes that!