PDA

View Full Version : genetic memory, if you will

altairego
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
guys, check this out in Wiki (this article is generic). i thought genetic memory was something ubi came up with for the game. appears i was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_memory

altairego
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
guys, check this out in Wiki (this article is generic). i thought genetic memory was something ubi came up with for the game. appears i was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_memory

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
It's a grey area. There's enough evidence to suggest genetic memory really is a real thing. But not enough to prove it

BlairCullen02
05-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Hmmm, maybe we experience our ancestors memories occasionally. Maybe we picture them in a situation and we are right.

Good find http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

altairego
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
could deja vu be one of the effects of genetic memory?
you think you've done something before, but you havenot actually. but what if your ancestor did and their memory gets superimposed on your psyche at that moment?

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Now this is my kind of thread

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
so say something then. something scholarly

BlairCullen02
05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by altairego:
you think you've done something before, but you havenot actually. but what if your ancestor did and their memory gets superimposed on your psyche at that moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah could be. That's a reasonable thought.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Something scholarly

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
but why at that particular isntance? what sort of chemical reaction in the brain could it be? neurons firing off in the wrong hemisphere?
hey, which part of brain is responsible for memory anyway? anyone know?

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by altairego:
but why at that particular isntance? what sort of chemical reaction in the brain could it be? neurons firing off in the wrong hemisphere?
hey, which part of brain is responsible for memory anyway? anyone know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can I answer this as a neurologist?

All of it

BlairCullen02
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
hey, which part of brain is responsible for memory anyway? anyone know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The cerebrum, I took Biology.

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
and that is in the middle of the brain or to the side or back?
i hate science

BlairCullen02
05-07-2008, 02:13 PM
and that is in the middle of the brain or to the side or back?
i hate science </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That I'm not quite sure. I think it's the back.

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
bobfish, you're a neurologist? interesting...

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
all I know is the left side of your brain contoles the right side of your body and the right side of your brain does the left side of your body unless you have a rare condition were they are connected on the same side.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlairCullen02:
The cerebrum, I took Biology. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See above http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
bob the entire brain doesnt do memory as you have seperate sections for long term and short tem as that is how some1 can have problem with one but not the other. its also played in in I think its hanibal were he is cuting part of the blokes brain out while he is awake as parts of the brain dont actualy seem to do anything.

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
how is memory recorded then? how is it impressed on us?

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
trust me you dont want to know how memory is made as it is a mix of chemical and electrical as far as any1 knows but it would probly take a long time and a degree in nurology to even try to explain it.

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
now you've piqued my interest, cas. i know sensory experience has something to do with it.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:34 PM
You did read my post yes?

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
now you've piqued my interest, cas. i know sensory experience has something to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
everything you see, feel, hear or taste gets turned into electrical impulses and then your brain processes them and sends out electrical pulses to cause that part(s) of the body to react in a sutible way. basicaly humans are just a giant cicuit.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Memory isn't just stored in the brain. There's evidence to support that some aspect of it is stored through the rest of your entire nervous system

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:49 PM
could memory be stored in the DNA?

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Well that's the thing isn't it. We just simply don't know. But if I was putting money I'd say it most certainly is

altairego
05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
why?

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
bob if memory was stored over the entire of your nervs then people who loose limbs would have memory loss as the brain wouldnt beable to protect the information fast enough to keep it. its also been proven that the most inteligent people in the world have had smaller brains that were denser and had more synapses meaning there is less distance for the information to travle.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, there are just too many odd things that have happened during the history of the world for me to accept that we don't have some form of genetic legacy. Too many things have been lost and then rediscovered and, more importantly, understood without any context to work from

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
bob no1 is saying genetic memory isnt real. as if there was no genetic memory at all how would out body know how to work its self or how would you know when you are born to breath? but unfortunatly with the technology we have its not something that can be prooven or disprooven.

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I know. I said that myself right at the beginning. And I don't mean that memory is stored in the nervous system in that way. Just that there's evidence to suggest there are echoes of memory scattered throughout your whole body. Not just in one place

altairego
05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
cells i think have memory: how to divide and create more cells. i mean no one taught them so it's gotta be stored somewhere in their DNA if they have any

Bobfish_Almight
05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
It's a truely fascinating subject. It may seem fanciful, but who's to say there won't be something like the Animus somewhere along the way? The possibly ramifications are rather troubling

Archetype_Zero
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
i think genetic memory is more about instinct than the actual memories of a person, from what i read in the wikipedia link. but maybe it's possible that if an event had enough impact on someone to change the way they react on instinct, then maybe that speciffic memory could be remembered as well? i mean, we obviously don't consciously remember everything that happened to our ancestors, so genetic memory would have to be selective right?

i like the idea altairego had about dejavu. i don't think anyone's come up with a real explanation for dejavu, so that's a good theory. however, i've had dejavu from things and people that only exist currently that my parents had never met or seen. for instance, tv shows that came out way after i was born have given me dejavu (or at least the act of walking in and seeing it on the screen at the time) so i wonder what might cause speciffic ones like that?

altairego
05-08-2008, 04:39 AM
bobfish, are you saying the Animus if it were to exist would be used for same purpose as in game to violently rip memories apart?
but what if you could use it to study societies of the past through a particular viewpoint? in sociology we call it interpretive sociology.

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 05:40 AM
If people had access to that kind of technology they'd abuse it. It's human nature

altairego
05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.
but explain why you think abuse is human nature? i would argue that it's more of a social vice -- in other words, society allows for a certain amount of abuse to exist (what is crime if not abuse of power of life and death) because then society can postulate a "normal" state of affairs. to boil it down to human nature seems simplistic

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 08:00 AM
As long as our species has existed we've seen the stronger picking on the weaker. Whether by stealing food, or forced labour, or even as simple as kicking the **** out of each other from boredom. Don't get me wrong, we hold no monopoly on that kind of behaviour. But we're a hunter species by nature. And this leads us to a propensity for violence which I personally believe we will never overcome

altairego
05-08-2008, 08:06 AM
on the violence being here to stay -- no argument.
it spices things up a bit too. imagine if we're all dogooders. how boring is that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Sad, but true

altairego
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
violence is the way of nature, really, even the herbivores violate plants when they eat them.
if violence was unnecessary we'd have forgotten it long ago -- our genetic memory keeps bringing it back though, so there must be some use for it.

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Sadly, the main use of violence seems only to be to defend against violence. So in essence it simply perpetuates itself. Like a virus. Or any other living organism

altairego
05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
how else do you suggest humanity defend against violence? pacifism?

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't but know. But within everybody lies the spirit of a horse

caswallawn_2k7
05-08-2008, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Archetype_Zero:
i like the idea altairego had about dejavu. i don't think anyone's come up with a real explanation for dejavu, so that's a good theory. however, i've had dejavu from things and people that only exist currently that my parents had never met or seen. for instance, tv shows that came out way after i was born have given me dejavu (or at least the act of walking in and seeing it on the screen at the time) so i wonder what might cause speciffic ones like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the only explination for dejavu I have heard is that it is ment to be a miss fire of the synapses so the memory goes to long term before it hits short term making it feel as if you have had the memory before as it is coming from the part of your brain that is normaly old memories instead of your short term memory that only normaly stores information for sevral minuets before either forgetting it or storing it to long term.

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
We have to remember that neurology is still very much in its infancy. We know very, very little about the inner workings of even the most simplistic brain. All the knowledge and "truisms" so far discovered are only being used on a temporary basis on the assumption that something different may present itself at a future date. That being said, we may be completely accurate already. We just simply don't know for certain

altairego
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM
and here we are as humanity always thinking we've discovered so much and are SOOOOooo advanced.
our arrogance knows no bounds (spits to the side in disgust)

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
True knowledge is to know that you know nothing

altairego
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
you're waxing philosophical here.

Bobfish_Almight
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
That's because within everybody lives the spirit of a horse

altairego
05-09-2008, 04:48 AM
horses are philosophical?
i didn't know that.

Bobfish_Almight
05-09-2008, 04:59 AM
That's because you have never been to the island of Kolokaluka***ol

altairego
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
island of what?
is that even pronouncable?

Bobfish_Almight
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
The island of Kolokaluka***ol where we keep the mystical horse diamond

altairego
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
horse diamond?
do you have any ancestral memories of that being brought there?

Bobfish_Almight
05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I do actually. It is the only thing that can stop Doctor Villian

altairego
05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
let's make this a separate topic shall we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
That sounds like a really good idea actually

jurn47
12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
If you replay a memory has this any effect on your savegame, like that you have to replay everthing from the memory you loaded

Assassin_M
12-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Going deep into the Details wont work as alot of us Here would`nt prefer it, Im not one of them BTW
But i actually like the Idea of De ja vu being actually a part or some sort of Genetic Memory hidden Deep inside the Dark area of our memories and if anybody remembers SPOILERS____ <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Shaun said that one might not need the Animus to Experience a Memory, and it did happen to Desmond Which is altair`s Dream Sequence</span> So i believe it is a strong Possibility that its true

ToKillInPeace
12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jurn47:
If you replay a memory has this any effect on your savegame, like that you have to replay everthing from the memory you loaded </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf? I'm blocking you forever.

Anyways, YES! I like this thread :3

Old as it may be.

On genetic memory; "feelings and ideas inherited from our ancestors as part of a "collective unconscious""

-Reber

Interesting....

LaurenIsSoMosh
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Hot crap! Looking back through this thread, Cas is actually purty smartful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

TheEpicWolf
12-28-2009, 11:51 AM
you think you've done something before, but you havenot actually. but what if your ancestor did and their memory gets superimposed on your psyche at that moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have scary *** De Ja Vu all the time. I think you may have a point but i think what you said is summed up by saying you "Syncronize" with an ancestor http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Seriously though it kind of makes sense

ToKillInPeace
12-28-2009, 01:44 PM
I have scary *** De Ja Vu all the time. I think you may have a point but i think what you said is summed up by saying you "Syncronize" with an ancestor http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Seriously though it kind of makes sense[/QUOTE]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheEpicWolf:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by altairego:

I still think Cas's explanation with misfired neurotransmitters on certain synapses associated with short and long term memory makes a little more sense.

dorido
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
on another note i remember hearing that the very act of recalling memory changes it completely, corrupting it if you will from the original. would it not then constantly lose synchronicity every time ancestral memory was recalled for every dejavu moment as well as for every generation experiencing said moments. this all being hypothetical as i cannot recall where i heard this from.

Assassin_M
12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
The Only Logical Explanation for Genetic Memory is that it is an anomaly of memory giving the impression to the person experiencing such a Phenomenon that the Experience is being Recalled But its not an act of Prophecy or Precognition as Deja Vu occurs not before the befalling of an Event but actually at the exact time this event happens. Another Explanation of Deja vu may be Cryptamnesia which is where Information Garnered is forgotten but nevertheless stored in the brain and the Occurrence of a similar Event invokes the contained Knowledge cause it to resurface in an act of Familiarity