PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9800 on windows update

scottmal1
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Was on windows update the other day and noticed an update for radeon 9800, anyone know what it is? didnt d/load it incase it screwed something up, cant imagine that its a driver as ati takes care of that, any info appreciated.

scottmal1
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Was on windows update the other day and noticed an update for radeon 9800, anyone know what it is? didnt d/load it incase it screwed something up, cant imagine that its a driver as ati takes care of that, any info appreciated.

FoolTrottel
04-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi,
Could very well be a driver..
(Whenever I install XP SP2, and next try to install Nvdia drivers 56.72, Windows tells me that driver is older than the currently installed one. It didn't do that on SP1. So, Ms does update drivers. I'm running 71.20 now, but MS gives me an option on the Windows Update to install some drivers dated July 28, 2003. Those are the ones they've tested and certified)

Yer right not to install the one via Windows Update.
That driver is for ppl who do not stress their PC to it's limits, and only need an updated driver if and when MS thinks they do.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Windows Update is good for the essential ones, the rest.... (especially drivers) just be carefull installing them. (Ehhh, don't install them I mean)

Have Fun!

Udidtoo
04-10-2005, 03:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Hi,
Could very well be a driver..
(Whenever I install XP SP2, and next try to install Nvdia drivers 56.72, Windows tells me that driver is older than the currently installed one. It didn't do that on SP1. So, Ms does update drivers. I'm running 71.20 now, but MS gives me an option on the Windows Update to install some drivers dated July 28, 2003. Those are the ones they've tested and certified)

Yer right not to install the one via Windows Update.
That driver is for ppl who do not stress their PC to it's limits, and only need an updated driver if and when MS thinks they do.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Windows Update is good for the essential ones, the rest.... (especially drivers) just be carefull installing them. (Ehhh, don't install them I mean)

Have Fun! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was indeed most likely a driver update. Used to get those on my last store bought PC. By the time Windows update would notify me a new driver was available it was 3 to 5 versions old.

At the update site you can select custom and after it finds the ones available to you you can select them and then click on the update without checking the box and see what it actually is. Every time I was alerted to an ATI update it was a driver. Then just exit without checking any boxes to start a download.

Vacillator
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Never seen that for mine (9800 running under XP), but I do get an update message from MSI motherboard live update (if I run it) saying it has a newer VGA driver. Thing is, it hasn't, as I'm using Cat5.4 so I just disregard it. Think it can't recognise newer Cats so it assumes they are old. Wrong.

BigBoy01
04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I just reformatted a few weeks back and while updating SP2 I noticed it also. I'd avoid it along with most Win Update "drivers" offered. Go to ATI's site and get them there, I run 4.11 CATS with plain vanilla control panel and WDM on a 9800 XT 256, no problems. Runs IL2/FB/PF very well (I don't run "perfect" mode, just excellant). Regardless of which version you go with the uninstall of the old drivers, cp, etc. is the key to a good update. IMO.