PDA

View Full Version : U-boat mission homing torpedos.

ben121995
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I encountered this proublem with the zaunkonigII
torpedos. I would lock on to a destroyer from my periscope and luanch a zaunkonigII torpedo and it would continue to run in a streight run without homing in on its target. Also is it a bug for tarnmatte improved to onley cover the conning tower and not the whole sub.

ben121995
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I encountered this proublem with the zaunkonigII
torpedos. I would lock on to a destroyer from my periscope and luanch a zaunkonigII torpedo and it would continue to run in a streight run without homing in on its target. Also is it a bug for tarnmatte improved to onley cover the conning tower and not the whole sub.

Foehammer-1
06-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, the Zaukoenigs only work on fast-moving targets. If a destroyer was creeping up on you, the torpedo probably didn't hear it.

I find that having a torpedo go VERY close to the ship can sometimes help against slow moving ones

Wolferz
06-14-2011, 07:17 AM
The Tarnmatte anti-radar coating was only used on the snorkel head.
Homing Torps require that your target be steaming at five knots or higher. Destroyers can outrun the things by stepping on the gas. The most the little buggers do is take out their props if they do manage to lock on and strike. I consider them a waste of tube space and renown.