PDA

View Full Version : LAN Multiplayer

nomooz
12-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Sombody did a nice threat on multiplayer via the web, but can anybody tell me how to set it up to just play with other people inside my LAN? It looks like one PC needs to be a server, which I've tried to set up, but none of the others seem to be able to find it.

Do I need to open a specific port or address it to a specific port or what?

Thanks all.

nomooz
12-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Sombody did a nice threat on multiplayer via the web, but can anybody tell me how to set it up to just play with other people inside my LAN? It looks like one PC needs to be a server, which I've tried to set up, but none of the others seem to be able to find it.

Do I need to open a specific port or address it to a specific port or what?

Thanks all.

Codex1971
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
1st thing you need to do is get everyone in the LAN talking to each other through a common IP range.

In my LAN club we set IP address from:
10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.? (? being the number of ppl we had on the day of the meet). It not necessary to have it this orderly but it makes life easier when trouble shooting. Then you'll need to set the sub mask on all PC's to the same address, ours was 255.255.255.0, but again it can be anything you like just make sure they'll all the same.

Next were the firewalls, this proved to be a big head ache so we actually turned them off. You'll also need to turn off the windows firewall. If your not comfortable turning your firewall off then you'll need to check your firewall settings and/or docs on how to set-up a safe zone to allow traffic to flow, but if ppl have different firewalls this will big a huge pain in the booty!

If you want to share files you'll need to have a shared folder active. Do NOT share your entire C: drive or any other hard drive, just share a single folder and make sure you set it so ppl can't alter your files in that folder!

To test connections just open a windows console box and type "ping 10.0.0.?" and you should get the following msg 4 times

"Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL-128"

If your at this point your almost there.

Next someone needs to act as the server and everyone else should be able to see that server in thier multi-player server list.

Just remember if you've been flying online, IL-2 will try and use that connection first. So you will need to restart your PC when your LAN is set-up and running before acting as the server.

Hope this helps.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/codex1971/Images/OnlineSig.jpg
http://www.deysquad.com/

nomooz
12-31-2006, 10:45 AM
thanks for the detailed network setup.

I've got all that, but I set one PC up as server and have the other ones look for servers, and their not finding it.

It's the firewall settings that concern me. This is for the kids to play here in the house. I need to set the firewalls and anything else and leave it. I can't really configure it every time. Somewhere, there's got to be specific ports on the firewall to leave open, but I can't find it.

Thanks for the info.

WB_Outlaw
12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nomooz:
Somewhere, there's got to be specific ports on the firewall to leave open, but I can't find it.
Thanks for the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Open UDP on port 21000. I don't think it uses TCP but it might so open that up if you still have troubles.

--Outlaw.

nomooz
12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.