PDA

View Full Version : Where does PF "fit in"...?

prb17
11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Ok, lets see if I have this right. €œIL-2 Forgotten Battles GOLD€ is IL-2 + ACE Expansion Pack + Forgotten Battles, but NOT Pacific Fighters.

PF is a stand-alone game (sim), but if you have the others installed it becomes part of the whole IL2/GOLD/AEP system. Not only that, but installing PF affects your IL2 installation in that the flight modeling of the IL2 planes are affected by the PF installation. I€ve read here (I think) that all your IL2 flight models are €œdumbed down€ after installing PF.

PF looks like a fun game (sim). I have been lurking around here trying to learn a little more about it before buying. Love Pacific Theater history and sims. My last was CFS2 (was there any other?) I have been away from the combat sims for a couple of years. FS2004 has a lot of my attention lately. I will probably buy it, but this whole IL-2/AEP/FP/PF business has got me confused.

Paul

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Well it doesn't dumb down the flight modelling at all. There are a few niggles but nothing like dumbing down at all.

so IL2 was the first release - Russian Front
next was Forgotten Battles - Eastern Front adds some more content, vastly improved Flight Models
Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion - Requires Forgotten Battles Adds new planes and some western front and a pacific maps (online) with more flyable aircraft and more tweaks.

Pacific Fighters like Forgotten Battles you can install it o nit's own without requiring the others or yoy can ibstallit as a FB/AEP add-on bringing all the content together. It introduces the pacific war - with more flyable aircraft, carrier landings and even more maps.

The DGen 3.11 patch fixes some campaign generation issues.

Pacific Fighters is unfinished and that's because ubi only gave oleg enough space for 2 cd's. More official content will be available for download as it's made available.

prb17
11-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks Nige_Reconman, I guess my question is €" if I buy €œIL-2 Forgotten Battles GOLD€, what is it that I DON€T have to buy?

There are four products, as far as I can tell.

1. IL-2
2. IL-2 Forgotten Battles
3. IL-2 Aces Expansion Pack
4. Pacific Fighters

I think GOLD includes 1, 2, and 3, but not 4. Just don€t want to buy the same gamne three times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CPS_Shadow
11-11-2004, 10:57 PM
2 Replaced 1 so you don't need it.
2 and 3 are in the Gold Pack.
4 is a seperate purchase.

So... buy the Gold pack and PF and you've got everything.

Athosd
11-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi prb17

You don't need to buy the original IL2.

Forgotten Battles is a stand alone product not an add-on for IL2.
Aces Expansion Pack is an add-on for Forgotten Battles.
"IL2 Forgotten Battles GOLD" is FB and AEP sold as a single package.

Pacific Fighters has the option of installing as a stand alone or as an add-on to FB+AEP (must have AEP - it won't go over FB alone).

With the full monster installation FB+AEP+PF there are some 180 flyable types plus heaps of AI - and loads of other good stuff.

You can install PF as a stand alone first - then once you get hooked and want the whole set just buy FB+AEP (Gold pack) and put PF over the top.
In this way you could end up having two separate game installations - PF and FB+AEP+PF - each with their short cut.

Cheers

Athos

x__CRASH__x
11-11-2004, 11:07 PM
You'll probably need to buy a better computer. Most everyone else has.

prb17
11-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks CPS_Shadow and Athosd. That€s what I thought but I wasn€t sure. Looks like heap big fun in any case.

Paul

prb17
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
@x__CRASH__x: You may be right. I€m currently running FS2004 with everything maxed out, with no problems, so I€m hoping I will be Ok as far as computer power is concerned. What I will need is more hard drive space€¦

Phil_C
11-11-2004, 11:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I€m currently running FS2004 with everything maxed out, with no problems, so I€m hoping I will be Ok as far as computer power is concerned <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See i thought that too, but it dosent translate at all...

esp with the water set to perfect.. but if your willing to comprimise, and drop the view distance to med, and the water to excellent, forests to 2 instead of 3, and (if you want) the clouds to med instead of high, then you should be ok..

I just left it all maxed out cause the only place i notice a major studder is when your over a city or densly populated area with a full compliment of 24 planes and AAA going and stuff exploding everywhere, other than that its "ok" (IMHO tho, so it may be diffeerent for you)

ImpStarDuece
11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
I run AEP on a laptop with 512 RAm, a 56 NVidia card and a P M 1.7 at 1024 x 756 resolution.

It runs better on this than it did on my old desktop P4 2.4 712 RAM and 56 Meg Geforce.

Its not like i'm even close to perfect but i am running everything except terrain at max in the setup and getting framerates in the mid 30's.

Once i get my BB connection, download some tweaks and visit coasties for some info i might be able to squeeze a few more FPS out of my rig.

The hooplah about running everything in perfect is for those people that own shares in NVidia or Intel. I'll stick with my settings and just enjoy the flying instead of the eyecandy.

Athosd
11-11-2004, 11:46 PM
My current rig (soon to be torn apart and used for spares http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif) is an XP1900, 512meg DDR266, 9800pro (best part) running win98se.

It handles FB+AEP+PF at 1152x864x32bit 4xFSAA 2xAA in "excellent" mode just fine. Some maps take a few seconds to smooth out - like New Guinea - but my Beaufighter campaign there runs very well with default air/ground density settings.

LEXX_Luthor
11-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Basically, you have original IL2, then FB, then FP or mixed FBP.

Max Excellent settings, but Perfect cloud option found in "conf" file under TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0. I get 30fps over Kuban mountain valley forest sheets. I refuse to fly missions over Berlin and Lenningrag city http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Athalon 1700+
WinXP Homely
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
ATI~9200

fixing to upgrade to...

Athalon64 3000+
WinXP Homely
1GB DDR 400
ATI~9200 (next year, 9800Ultra or whatever)