BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
double post

BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
double post

BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
My computer handles IL2 pretty well all things considered.

The CPU runs at 50%, with occasional spikes up to 60-70% when certain features load.

The RAM doesn't move at all, it stays at about 900mb total usage. i have (1536mb)1.5g total DDR2.
I noticed with all programs closed it still uses about 500mb of ram. From the way it looks il2 only uses about 4oo mb of ram, so improving my ram isn't going to get me better performance.

The week link is no doubt, my graphics card with a total dedicated memory of 128mb, but it does surprisingly well with the framerates online and offline.

There is no hope to upgrade this card because its a notebook card, and my guess is that most of the components need to be a certain way or they don't work at all.

My only other option is to get another computer.
I have a case with a 300 watt PSU, a hard drive, and a CDR. Its an older computer that was damaged in a move, so both the graphics card and mother board are cracked and not fixable. I can't remember how good the CPU is, but its probably obsolete anyway.
Unfortunately if i were to attempt a custom build i would have no idea what i'm doing but i'm sure i could put the pieces in the right place and hope that it worked.

How do i know what parts are compatible, and as for CPU, video card, ram, motherboard, etc>>>>???

Also,
i know its going to run me about 200 for a decent CPU, and a little more for a better graphics card.

I would hate to go spend the money and have it not work.

Is it easy to put these things together???

Ritter_Cuda
04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
find someone that has been studying the current computer parts. there is a lot to know to get the right parts at the best cost. putting it together is not so hard. the hard thing is getting the Bios right.but from your post you most likely will be starting from scratch a 300w psu is way under power for newer vid/cpu . your going to need at least a 750 this also means that your case will mostly not have enough fans so their is 400 bucks more (sorry)

BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
from the looks of things, it seems more cost effective just to purchase an already built computer.

MAXMHZ1959
04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
from the looks of things, it seems more cost effective just to purchase an already built computer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, although walking into a PC shop and letting them build a PC to your specifications is a good option too. Letting a shop build a PC is not that expensive.

As for getting advice on components, if you start a new system-build thread I'm pretty sure more than enough people will post advice and help you along.

The components left in the old system are in all likelyhood obsolete and in any case do not represent a big value. It's more likely it will cost money to get rid of them.

blairgowrie
04-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Just let a computer shop install the components up to the boot process. You can install Windows yourself very easily. If they install Windows they will charge up to $100 just for watching a screen.

By picking the parts for yourself, you can maintain quality control of what goes in to the case. The guys here will only recommend a quality build.

BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
i thought i would bounce these off you guys to see what you think,
The mega special line up is in my price range I, II, III, i guess i need to know its not a rip off. there aren't a lot of computer shops where i live, in fact, the only thing close to a computer shop is radio shack.

I'm reading up on whats good and what to watch out for. I'm also looking for some longevity. Where maybe a couple years from now, i'd only need to upgrade one component, instead of having to purchase a whole new system.

I also know that getting the newest, fastest do-hickey is never a good buy because 6 months down the line you can usually get the same thing for half the price or significantly cheaper than what you bought it for.

I just saw my lap top on ebay for 200 bucks..lol.

have a look at this site let me know if its with in reason.
The prices look similar to what i've seen, but i don't know how these things go together, as far as whats going to get me the best performance for the money.

I should also note that i'm not the biggest gamer, i just like having realistic scenery for my flight sims, which is about all i play these days.
I know that the game graphics are only going to get better and online combat flight sims will be more and more complex.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

RAF_OldBuzzard
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda: your going to need at least a 750 this also means that your case will mostly not have enough fans so their is 400 bucks more (sorry) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HHMMMM...someone needs to tell my Corsair 620W that it's not good enough to run a PhII 940, 3870 X2, 3 HDDs, a DVD-ROM, 8GB of memory, and a Koolance Exos 2. Actually a 520HX or 550VX by Corsair would be enough to power my system.

Now if you are going to Crossfire a pair of 4879's or 4870 X2s, THEN you need to go with a good 750W or higher PSU, but for a single video card, a QUALITY PSU in the 500 to 650W range is more than sufficcient.

With the current systems, wattage really isn't the most important number when you look at PSUs. What's more important is the AMPS they can supply on the v12 rail(s). Thats what seperates the POS from the quality PSUs.

BillSwagger
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
i must have quality POS, then. but i've squashed the build. With the way prices look on a complete system its about the same price minus the headaches of not knowing what the F i'm doing.

see my previous post,

i would appreciate your input.

thanks

Ba5tard5word
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
BillSwagger I recently bought a new computer from ibuypower--it's a website where you tell them what you want and they build it for you and ship it to you. I am a total computer noob and their prices are barely more than buying the parts individually and putting it together myself, so I went for that. I'd recommend them, the computer seems very solid and has worked like a charm so far. Some people complain about them though, like shipping computers that weren't wired right, or missing parts, but it's been fine for me. Another website recommended to me is ecollegepc.

Word to the wise though, you REALLY have to know what parts to choose so that everything works together well--the right case, the right power supply, the right cooling, etc. Ask here and everyone will help you out a ton, they helped me out.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money but still get a huge upgrade from what you have, a powerful core duo desktop with a 9800 card would probably be good.

Ba5tard5word
04-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Actually the main thing is to set a budget and then work with that, I would recommend you decide on that first then we could give you more options.

BillSwagger
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
which 9800 card, i see 4 or 5 of them.

there's the GTX models, and they are all within 100 of each other..

i want to avoid throwing down a geezzal (1,000) only to see the same product selling for 400 or 500 bucks a year later.

I have about 500 now that i could shell out, but this is probably something i won't jump on til i get more information and if i need to save another 3 or 4 bills to get what i want/need then i'll wait.

I'm looking for the best performance per dollar ratio....Sometimes spending twice the money doesn't always equate to twice the performance, although usually buying in bulk gets you more for your money. Not sure if that's the same for ghz, cache and ram.

but $500 is a good solid benchmark to start around.

WhiteSnake_76
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
You do reall well to get a better Powersuply, 300 Watts isnt enough for the configuration your thinking about.

If your looking for the best bang for your buck i sugest you look at AMD/ATI CPU, MoBo and GPU.

Get atleast 2GB RAM with that, if you consider upgrading to more later get 1 2GB module, if not get 2 1GB modules.

If your a little lucky you can grab a AMD Athlon X2 6000+ with a socket AM2 mobo and a ATI HD4870 and 2GB RAM now really cheap.

Powersuply is a really importand part, low budget usualy means really poor qualety wich means not only your powersuply gets problems quicker, but also everything conected to it can get damadged by it.

Ba5tard5word
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Bill again do you want to upgrade your current system or just get a completely new one? It looks like your computer is pretty old but it's possible that you could upgrade it, I wouldn't really know. However as has been said, if you get a newer video card, you will need to make sure that your power supply is powerful enough--also make sure your case is big enough to hold it, newer cards like the 8800/9800 and GTX 2XX cards are pretty big.

At Ibuypower you could get a totally new system with a Core Duo 2.66Ghz processor, 2GB of RAM, a 320 GB hard drive an a 9600GT video card for $582 (US). That would definitely max out Il-2 and be pretty good for most new games but the 9600 is a bit weak.

A 9800GTX card I think would be way better and raises the price to $636, however you'd probably need a better power supply, which would raise the price...etc etc.

Just keep asking here for advice, if people throw out a lot of technical detail that doesn't make sense, just be persistent and ask for the layman's version.

-HH-Quazi
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Build your own m8. Most everyone here that was considering purchasing pre-built and thwen decided to build their own not only saved plenty of money but they were also satisfied and happy with themselves that they accomplished what they felt was an impossibility. This bord and the m8s that frequent here are better than any tech support phone call, plus they don't ask for a CC number to charge you for the advice. Seriously, if it were something very hard to do no one here would even advise you to do so and they themselves damn sure wouldn't be building their own. It is a learning experience but it is something that you can take along with you for the rest of your life.

BillSwagger
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
thanks

please keep the replies coming.
i plan on doing a new build, as the parts i have appear to be obsolete. 400w PSU, seems to be the minimum, and from what it looks like getting a case to fit some of the newer cards will also include a decent PSU.

here's what i would like to focus on for it seems that a case and PSU will revolve around what i choose for these components.
please add to this list as you see fit.
basically i've put pricing limits in parenthesis, so try not to recommend something that is way over budget, but if its a good buy and only a few dollars more please post it.

CPU (&lt;$150):
i saw the AMD Athlon X2 6000+ with socket AM2 for $90-125, with fan and heatsink.

Motherboard (???)i dot even know where to start:
whats a good motherboard that will suit the needs of these other components???

Video card(&lt;$250):
I looked on Newegg, and it looks like i could get a 512mb - 1gb card in this range.

I will get RAM as i see fit, and it doesn't appear to be the most expensive component until you start looking at the higher clock speeds.
i think starting with 2gb is good, but i've also seen decently priced 4gb packages.

It is not my intention to overclock this PC.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
99% of the PSUs that come with a case are pure crap so be careful.

Ba5tard5word
04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
If $250 is your video card budget, I would recommend the GTX 260 Core 216, I have one on my new computer and it's pretty good and not too horribly expensive. I can play any new game at the maximum resolution usually with settings to the max, and it works well with Il-2. However you'll definitely need to make sure your power supply is enough, I got a 750W Corsair PSU just to be safe.

For cpu's I really don't know anything about AMD chips, but Intel's core duo are quite cheap now and very powerful for the price. I got an i7 920 for my new computer which wasn't much more but it added more price because I got DDR-3 RAM with it and an i7-compatible motherboard.

For motherboards, I really don't know much of anything...however I do know (from the advice people like Quazi and Urufu and erco gave me here a couple months ago) that some processor chips and RAM setups won't work with some motherboards, so you have to figure out what you want in those departments first. DDR-3 RAM is the new big thing but it requires newer different motherboards which are probably more expensive. DDR-2 RAM should be fine for a casual gamer but if you upgrade to DDR-3 you would probably need to install a completely new motherboard, so keep that in mind as you balance cost against futureproofing.

If you are getting Vista then 3GB of DDR-2 RAM would probably work well and not be too pricy.

And really it's up to you if you want to build your own...for me it wasn't really an option because I live in a very tiny carpeted apartment, and I'm such a computer novice that I didn't really want to pay $200 for something I would break or short out. And again the price was almost the same from ibuypower, it was literally like $5 more to get the computer from them than when I added up all the individual component prices from newegg, I was surprised.

Sillius_Sodus
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
With pre-built computers, I've found the best bang for your buck is to go with the second fastest system available. After all, a few months ago it was the fastest, and when a faster cpu comes out, the prices for the second fastest go way down. Besides, the increase in performance you get is often not worth the extra $$$ you'll have to spend to get the fastest cpu available. Unless of course you are prone to cpu envy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Use the savings to upgrade your psu, video card, ram, monitor, or game controllers.