PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Another Pioneer Passes Away.... ~!S!~

Bearcat99
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Frederick Branch
(1923 - 2005)

The first African American commissioned officer in the US Marine Corps, Frederick C. Branch, died Sunday in Philadelphia at the age of 82. After studying at Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, N.C., he transferred to Temple University, from wherehe was drafted into the Marine Corps in 1943 Branch went to boot camp at Montford Point Camp, N.C., today known as Camp Johnson. Montford Camp was a segregated Marine Corps training facility near Jacksonville, created in 1942 to train African American Marines. After serving s one of 20,000 African American Marines in WW2 he was commissioned on the Marine Corps' 170th birthday- Nov. 10, 1945. The Marine Corp had barred African Americans all together until President Franklin D. Roosevelt forced the opening of their ranks with a 1941 executive order, though training remained segregated until 1949. After applying for OCS at Quantico Branch was not only denied but humiliated as well. "They told me to shut up that blanketty blank stuff about being an officer," he said in an interview. "You ain't going to be no officer."

Truly a pioneer. While it is true that we have many many problems in the United States... it is plain to see that we as a nation have come very far. The fact that it was just 60 years ago that things were so very drastically different just gives me some hope for the future and a great deal of pride in the past.

SEMPER FIDELIS
<span class="ev_code_RED">~!</span><span class="ev_code_WHITE">S</span><span class="ev_code_BLUE">!~</span>

VF-29_Sandman
04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
if u can still find it bc, grab a copy of 'chronicles of the 20th century'. the book itself is 3" thick and is like steppin into a time machine from the year 1900-1987. back in the old old days, a black man in the south could be attacked without warning or reason. cant belive a country like our's tolerated what happened back then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

p1ngu666
04-21-2005, 07:22 PM
sadly missed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

arcadeace
04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99: Truly a pioneer. While it is true that we have many many problems in the United States... it is plain to see that we as a nation have come very far. The fact that it was just 60 years ago that things were so very drastically different just gives me some hope for the future and a great deal of pride in the past. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes... there's hope, and well put.

Bearcat99
04-21-2005, 07:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
if u can still find it bc, grab a copy of 'chronicles of the 20th century'. the book itself is 3" thick and is like steppin into a time machine from the year 1900-1987. back in the old old days, a black man in the south could be attacked without warning or reason. cant belive a country like our's tolerated what happened back then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a pretty extensive library. 100 years of Lynchings by Ralph Ginzburg will curk your hair. Not to mention some first hand accounts from uncles and aunts of what life was like in the 30s, 40s and 50s.... We have come a long way as a nation........ and guys like Fred Branch helped to pave the way. We still have far to go.. but we have come a long way.

blakduk
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
You can say all you like about the yanks, but they are a truly amazing nation. There is something very special about the spirit of a country that can enthuse its people to fight for the beliefs that are espoused in its constitution, despite the powers of the day actively working against those very beliefs.
The african americans of WW2 fought nobly for a cause that often their military leaders didnt believe in- that all men are created equal!

Enforcer572005
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
another great American lost to time. there's an incredible race against time to get as much oral history out of these amazing guys as possible before they're gone.

much has improved, but here in Georgia (USA) in the south, they still do similiar stuff under the guise of mandating virtue....in my county (Floyd) they arrest teenagers for messing around with other teens, and send them to prison. One such case gained national attention and was thrown out by the state supreme court-a black senior "dated" a white girl a little younger and they went after him for that....was aquitted of rape, but they sent him off for 10yrs on the morals charge, until it was vacated.

Now they've modified that and Douglas co. has jailed a 17 yr old kid for "dating" a 15 yr old one, and this is done mostly to black kids for political capitol.....these prosecutors and judges in this state are the modern KKK, hiding behind virtue. If they did this to teens when I was in high school, 2/3 of the males would hve been in prison. absurd.

Well I've digressed again......thanks for telling us of this great man's passing.

Aero_Shodanjo
04-22-2005, 12:04 AM
S!

Ive read (a little) about the Tuskegee airmen, and though I was aware such things happening in the US - the country that claims to be the forefront of democracy - I also realized that racism - in all kinds and forms - is always happening anywhere, sadly.

Now after reading the stories about what kind of struggle that those people had been through, I came to respect them even more.

Once again, S! and Semper Fidelis.

buglord
04-22-2005, 03:38 AM
S~ to a pioneer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/mrbuglord-myheader1.jpg

Monson74
04-22-2005, 04:18 AM
S! & my respect.

America has always been fascinating - a young & progressive nation yet conservative & conflicting. Was it in the '60s that the seperation laws were given up?

Ruy Horta
04-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah, weren't the last remnants of segregation abolished as late as the early seventies (at state level, in the deep south).

Some even argue that the current voting system in the US still functions as a barrier, mainly when it comes to poor colored people.

BSS_Goat
04-22-2005, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
Some even argue that the current voting system in the US still functions as a barrier, mainly when it comes to poor colored people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you are a convicted felon, nothing to do w/ race or income.
BTW "colored people" is now an insult in the PC world, almost as bad as JAP.

FltLt_HardBall
04-22-2005, 09:47 AM
HEY, MODERATORS! HE SAID "JAP"!!

Oh ****, now I just said it.