PDA

View Full Version : WinXP question

freedspeak
02-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Going to upgrade my system with a new m/b, video card,memory, processor, and p/s.

Was told that my current Win 98 os would not handle it. Reccommended Win XP.

Is XP a good platform for flight sims as well as racing sims?

freedspeak
02-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Going to upgrade my system with a new m/b, video card,memory, processor, and p/s.

Was told that my current Win 98 os would not handle it. Reccommended Win XP.

Is XP a good platform for flight sims as well as racing sims?

gerhardius
02-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I have had no problems with XP and any of the IL-2 series but a couple of racing sims required some tweaking. I have had no problems, that I remember, with GPL but GP2 or 3 caused some headaches. Which racing sims do you use?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-13-2005, 04:29 PM
In my experience, Windows XP has been a great all around operating system. Its very stable and I think fairly intuitive and user friendly.

zjulik
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
In terms of performance, a lot has been said regarding which OS is the best for gaming. After reading quite a lot about this, my impression is that Windows 2000 should be considered inferior while -98 and XP tie off on top.
Consider then the fact that XP is more secure, supports more hardware, and will handle more software and games than -98. Have a look at graphic card drivers, for instance - not all developers care to make them for -98 anymore.

One more thing: You may qyuite possibly have trouble getting -98 to recognize more than 512MB memory. Google it.

freedspeak
02-13-2005, 04:41 PM
gerhardius,
My racing sims are GPL and the latest Nascar venue.

To the rest of you, thanks for your replies. Guess I'll go with XP.

CreaseKeeper
02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I run all the IL2 series as well as Nascar Racing 2003 both online and off with Win XP SP1 with no issues.

-S-

Longjocks
02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
XP, like all MS OS' is not perfect, but it's the best of the bunch. It's only downfall for someone like me is the amount of useless **** it automatically installs/runs that you have to go through and change manually.

gerhardius
02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Haven't played NASCAR for a while, but I still drive GPL a few hours a month. This site has a bit on GPL under XP http://gplpp.com/ look under "how to" and there is something on XP. The site is slow at times and not the best layout, but it is still there unlike many GPL sites. Regards.

mortoma
02-13-2005, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zjulik:
In terms of performance, a lot has been said regarding which OS is the best for gaming. After reading quite a lot about this, my impression is that Windows 2000 should be considered inferior while -98 and XP tie off on top.
Consider then the fact that XP is more secure, supports more hardware, and will handle more software and games than -98. Have a look at graphic card drivers, for instance - not all developers care to make them for -98 anymore.

One more thing: You may qyuite possibly have trouble getting -98 to recognize more than 512MB memory. Google it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Win98SE does handle more than 512 and does it well, I have been using Win98SE with 1GB of RAM for at least two years, no problem. My install of the Cacheman utility reports my computer using all or nearly all of it's 1022Mb of Ram after I play PF. Also Win98 still plays just about any game on the market, still to this day, as well as many other types of software. I very rarely experience software that Win98 won't run.
As many people that still use Win98, developers would be stupid to not still supporet it. And Nvidia regularly updates Win98/ME drivers. Don't know about ATI though. I prefer playing FB+AEP+PF on my Win98 drives. I have drives with WinXP home but I really don't like the huge RAM memory footprint that WinXP has. Also a bigger HD footprint too. Win98 and it's old DOS kernel is still very game friendly! In many ways the DOS kernel is better than the NT/Win2000 based kernel like XP uses for gaming. My frame rates using Win98 are slightyl better than when I use WinXP, although not a lot better, about 2 FPS better on average. Win98 will handle your upgrade ( original poster ) pretty well most likely. But if I were to buy or build a new PC, now, admittedly, I probably would not bother with Win98 any more.

Wilburnator
02-13-2005, 11:38 PM
I have run GPL on an XP machine extensively and it works fine. As long as you are all patched with the 3d video patch and the cpu speed patch, but ofcourse if you've been playing GPL I assume you must know all about that stuff.

IDF_Raam
02-14-2005, 12:08 AM
il2 runs on XP without proclems, and xp is stable and does not crash - i haven't seen the dreaded blue screen since i had the xp.

lucas_valentine
02-14-2005, 03:31 AM
OMG, I can't believe anyone would still be using Win 98. For God's sake do yourself a favour, take that puppy out the back and shoot it in the head ASAP! Win 98 is unstable as hell and like people, gets worse with age! Get XP as soon as you can. As has been said it's not perfect but hell, it's 1,000 times the OS that 98 is. If you have 98SE look on Ebay and you will find an upgrade for half the price of those you will find in the shops. But be careful to get a sealed one as XP needs to be registered online and each copy can only be registered once!

Tallyho1961
02-14-2005, 03:36 AM
I finally went from 98SE to XP just before Christmas and regret not having done so sooner. Much better product. Not perfect, mind you, but a huge improvement over 98SE. Be aware that you will need sufficient RAM to run XP and PF - a gig is the number you will see quoted here.

ClnlSandersLite
02-14-2005, 05:48 AM
My solution? Dual boot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. XP is most definately stable. It's very good for general running. However, if you're tech savy, win 98 can give better performance. Simply put, since it's an older os, it'll run a hell of a lot cleaner. No if ands or buts. I use XP for general stuff (as above), but when I need those extra fps for an intensive game, 98 all the way.

zjulik
02-14-2005, 06:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
Win98SE does handle more than 512 and does it well <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup, I know. But there are issues you *may* encounterhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
BTW freedspeak, once you have XP up and running, it`s time to do some tweaking. Stop by here again for some detailshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Texas LongHorn
02-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey Lucas buddy, while you are correct that XP is more robust and secure, 98 is the lean OS if you can deal with its problems. It's quite a bit faster. I worked for MS for years and 98 was considered in house to the THE gaming platform. Later the beta versions of XP came along and the point was moot as computers had also advanced. For a modest system, 98 is still faster. If you wanted to build a dedicated gaming system I'dd still be temped to install 98, as long as a "mothership" XP system ran the network to install downloads and such. All the best, LongHorn

Weather_Man
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
There are only two reasons to use 98. That is if you have older custom software that is incompatible with 2000/XP, or your system does not meet the hardware requirements. Gamers generally don't fall in either category.

There is no other benefit to 98 I can think of that I would even consider using it.

mortoma
02-15-2005, 10:00 AM
If you know what you're doing Win98 runs like clockwork and is not all that unstable like some posters said. For periods of 4 hours and under, it's just as stable as XP. It's only unstable if you try and run for days at a time. This is how it got it's bad rap, mostly IT professional that tried to run it in corporate environs had a bad time with it because in business and corporates plaeces, they need to have PCs that can run for days on end. We people at home however, don't. IT professionals also detested the fact that
it's far more painstaking to network in the first place and needs a lot of settings tweaked and manually changed. Whereas after NT/2000/XP most stuff as far as networking was virtually automatic and it was easier for IT geeks. Also people get confused between Win98 and ME, in that WinME was worse than 98, but 98 got a lot bad press along with ME and the two OSs were not always differentiated.
As far as XP being that great, that's not my experience, I now have tons of experience running all over the place fixing peoples computers and I hate WinXP!! It's also not all that stable in many ways and can give people fits. I've seen worse and stranger problems crop up in XP than I have with Win98!!! Many people in here act like thier experts and talk a big talk but they are not nearly as experienced with OS problems like I am, most likely. I run Win98SE more than my HD with XP on it cause XP scares me sometimes and if you know Win98 well it will run year after year without much trouble. I get more lockups and subsequent reboots with WinXP!! Also many of the people you find who knock Win98 are IT people who know networking but generaly don't know nearly as much about gaming and home use of a computer.
I know a lot of IT people and their knowledge of
typical home and gaming issues is not all that hot. Networking/LAN/WAN stuff and gaming and in general home use of a PC are different things.

mortoma
02-15-2005, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas LongHorn:
Hey Lucas buddy, while you are correct that XP is more robust and secure, 98 is the lean OS if you can deal with its problems. It's quite a bit faster. I worked for MS for years and 98 was considered in house to the THE gaming platform. Later the beta versions of XP came along and the point was moot as computers had also advanced. For a modest system, 98 is still faster. If you wanted to build a dedicated gaming system I'dd still be temped to install 98, as long as a "mothership" XP system ran the network to install downloads and such. All the best, LongHorn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with what you said. But the security of Win98 is no longer a major issue and most hackers, crackers and what have you concentrate on WinXP and the use of IE. If you use Win98 and Firefox and a nice firewall ( I have both hardware and software firewall ) you are perfectly safe. And yes Win98, like you said is an excellent gaming OS!! With the same amount of RAM, Win98 will use less of the ram than XP will when playing the game. So more of your ram goes to the game and not the OS itself. WinXP pastes a lot more DLLs and useless stuff ( for gamers ) in memory than Win98 or ME does. WinXP runs 3 times the services and other background clutter than Win98 does. With a few easy tweaks, Win98 runs up to 1GB of RAM with no problems. For those that are going to higher amounts of RAM, I would go with WinXP though.

mortoma
02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
I finally went from 98SE to XP just before Christmas and regret not having done so sooner. Much better product. Not perfect, mind you, but a huge improvement over 98SE. Be aware that you will need sufficient RAM to run XP and PF - a gig is the number you will see quoted here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have hard drives with both OSs and I run my Win98 most of the time. Maybe you didn't have your 98 configured right?

mortoma
02-15-2005, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
My solution? Dual boot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. XP is most definately stable. It's very good for general running. However, if you're tech savy, win 98 can give better performance. Simply put, since it's an older os, it'll run a hell of a lot cleaner. No if ands or buts. I use XP for general stuff (as above), but when I need those extra fps for an intensive game, 98 all the way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep I'll agree but although WinXP is slightly more stable, it's still not all that stable, not nearly as it should or could be. It's over-rated a bit on stability.

jarink
02-15-2005, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
Yep I'll agree but although WinXP is slightly more stable, it's still not all that stable, not nearly as it should or could be. It's over-rated a bit on stability. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work on PCs for a living and have never had stability problems on XP that could not be attibuted to an outside source (poorly written programs, bad hardware or 3rd party drivers) I'll agree that there's too much excess stuff running by default compared to '98, but most of those services can be disabled or reigned in.

Anyone else using the new Window Blinds on XP? I 'm trying the free version and it's *really* nice, especially since it uses hardware accelleration now.

VF-2_John_Banks
02-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't why Win98se shouldn't work with new hardware...doesn't really make any sense at all. Trust me, it will work just fine, except with more than 1 GB of RAM, that wont work.

eddiemac0
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Win98 was great, and I can't remember if it was Win 2000 or Win ME that was the real "Y2K Virus" (loved how everyone called it a virus...).

But, I was reall wondering if anyone ever made a Gamer's Edition of an operatin system... something made with no extra fluff, a bare metal support system for applications

jarink
02-15-2005, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddiemac0:
Win98 was great, and I can't remember if it was Win 2000 or Win ME that was the real "Y2K Virus" (loved how everyone called it a virus...). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Windows ME has the dubious honor of the most despised OS. Ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
But, I was reall wondering if anyone ever made a Gamer's Edition of an operatin system... something made with no extra fluff, a bare metal support system for applications <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOS 5.0? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There have been a few projects like Win98 Lite that go to great lengths to remove various bits from Windows. Do a Google search; there's several out there.

altstiff
02-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Most problems people have with XP and GPL is when they turn off "file indexing", for some reason GPL does not like it off....

Tallyho1961
02-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Re: Mortoma's post above - my 'huge improvement' comment referred to XP as an OS in general, not as an improved gaming platform. On that front I didn't notice any difference. Had I run some before and after FRAPS logs, I could have compared. Didn't think of it.

Jersey_Seven
02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
I held out against XP as long as possible. As someone who likes tweaking their hardware a lot, the idea that if you change too much in your system the stupid a$$ OS thinks you have a new computer and makes you beg uncle bill to re-activate really turns me off.

OTOH, having used both extensively at work and at play, I have to admit that &lt;properly configured&gt; XP seems to be the better system. I use XP for all the heavy sims.

One factor: where are you going to get drivers to support new mobo's and processors with 98SE? As someone mentioned, except for NVIDIA, you won't get upgraded drivers even for your video card (as of a month ago, ATI only features old catalyst stuff).

But... I have stuff like Longbow, Longbow2 and F15 that I would like to play again before I die. Still got the voodoo 5 card for 3DFX. Don't think that puppy's gonna work in XP, do you?

Tell me I'm wrong on that last part, and I'll host a 'death to 98' party!

zjulik
02-16-2005, 07:49 PM
If you know what you're doing Win98 runs like clockwork and is not all that unstable like some posters said. For periods of 4 hours and under, it's just as stable as XP. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here`s a comment worth noting. How long is your PC left on, on a typical day? How long does a multiplayer session last for you?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif