Sad eh? Still, a long life well lived.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7304004.stm

ploughman
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Sad eh? Still, a long life well lived.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7304004.stm

berg417448
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
When I was a teenager I remember reading every Arthur C. Clarke book the school library had on its shelves.

roybaty
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Same here berg, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
When I was a teenager I remember reading every Arthur C. Clarke book the school library had on its shelves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffb
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I liked his books more than those by Heinlen...more science and less fiction

and even read some of his underwater ones when i was doing scuba diving

waffen-79
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
R.I.P. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Bearcat99
03-18-2008, 11:10 PM
SciFi pioneer..

Ratsack
03-19-2008, 01:07 AM
One of the greats. He's been frail for years so it's not a surprise he's finally gone, but it's sad nevertheless.

I'll miss him.

Ratsack

Billy_BigBoy
03-19-2008, 01:13 AM
One of the Greatest.

~S~

ultraHun
03-19-2008, 01:33 AM
My favourites were The Deep Range (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deep_Range) and Rendezvous with Rama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama), the first I read several the second numerous times.

~S~
ultraHun

Friendly_flyer
03-19-2008, 02:07 AM
My father read Rendezvous with Rama to me as a child, it made a great impact. He was a great man with an extraordinary imagination living in extraordinary times.

raaaid
03-19-2008, 05:53 AM
wasnt him accused of paedophilia?

i even remember a program they told he went to live to india for this reason, in fact i even remember him telling he just had sex with puber child, trying to justify himself

no ofense intended maybe my memories are wrong, but be famous and have the moral as low as wanted

again no ofence intended just tellin what i remember watching on tv, but maybe i mixed it up who knows

edit:
my memories were correct:

'Paedophile' Arthur C Clarke sparks protests in Lanka
Child right activists in Sri Lanka have expressed shock over science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke's confession in a newspaper interview of a life of paedophilia and called for his deportation just around the time Prince Charles was to knight him.

Clarke, 80, widely regarded as a visionary and author of the celebrated 2001: A Space Odyssey and some 80 other books, was quoted as saying in the interview published in London's Sunday Mirror that having sex with children was all right.

''Once they have reached the age of puberty, it is OK... It doesn't do any harm,'' said Clarke, who has lived in Sri Lanka for 40 years.

"I am trying to think of the youngest boy I have ever had because, of course, you can't tell it here. I think most of the damage comes from the fuss made by hysterical parents afterwards. If the kids don't mind, fair enough,'' he was reported to have said in the interview which was conducted at his house.

''I am amazed why the law has not been enforced as far as Clarke was concerned,'' says Maureen Seneviratne, co-ordinator for a non-governmental organisation called Peace -- Protection of Environment and Children Everywhere.

''Why do we have strong laws in Sri Lanka?'' she asked, noting that such a law had been in place since October 1995 when parliament passed a bill without division on prevention of abuse of children below the age of 16.

She said that a bill replaced a 1983 law, under which abuse of children below the age of 12 was an offence, though the child was equally guilty as the perpetrator. Under the new law, child abuse carries a minimum sentence of seven years imprisonment and a maximum of 20 years. The laws were put in place following a public outcry over paedophilia and child prostitution in Sri Lanka.

Referring to Clarke justifying sex with children who had attained puberty, Seneviratne said even homosexuality was a crime under the country's penal code.

She noted that a German was undergoing prison sentence in the island after being convicted of paedophilia and said, ''It is strange that while some people are sentenced, others are going scot-free.''

She said she intended to take up Clarke's revelations with the presidential task force for the protection of children and inform all concerned, including the police.

She said her group had indeed heard rumours about Clarke's activities, but being a small NGO, her organisation could not take it up as that would be like ''tilting at giants who have written books and been made chancellors of universities.''

''It would have been like signing our own death warrant,'' she said in a reference to the official patronage enjoyed by Clarke, the first foreign celebrity to be given tax-free status on the island. The writer has also been made chancellor of the Meratuwa University in Sri Lanka.

Clarke is to be presented with a knighthood by Prince Charles, who will be the chief guest at Sri Lanka's 50th anniversary of independence on February 4.

Dr Nalin de Silva, a former Colombo university lecturer and an activist of an ultra-Sinhala Buddhist organisation, said he would launch a strong agitation, demanding Clarke's immediate deportation from the country.

''This is child abuse. It is a shame to have him as chancellor of a university. Now it seems Arthur C Clarke not only pioneered the concept of geo-stationary satellites, but also abuse of children. He has not brought recognition to Sri Lanka; he only projected the country to the foreigners as a paradise for paedophiles,'' Dr de Silva said.

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/02clarke.htm

i will not forget that assasin face saying he just had sex with puber child, how could i doubt my memories

how comes i was the only to see it? the ufos? i think once i was abducted

im sorry to hijacked the thread but after showing his confesion... but this is something that worries me if the provided link says his confesion was to a newspaper how comes i saw his confesion on tv and why nobody else has seen it?

Joe-90
03-19-2008, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'World: S/W Asia Sci-fi novelist cleared of sex charges' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I greatly admire Clark's work, both in writing and science.

The paedophile allegation surprised me but a little digging and it looks like more tabloid rubbish.

I'm more inclined to believe the BBC's news team:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/s/w_asia/74938.stm

raaaid
03-19-2008, 07:53 AM
i insist i saw the guy myself on tv saying he only had sex with puber child

it was the only time i saw his face, and as you can imagine this caught in my mind, i wont forget the look behind the glasses

i thought whats this the final judgement and im lucifer deciding the destiny of these poor souls

im quite mad but logically seeing these things nobody else sees, if i told you...

yep just seen the picture of the guy and clearly remembering confessing on tv

can plz somebody help me and explain me how i was the only one to see this on tv, im afraid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

i dont know maybe there are info wars and that video just reached a few countries like spain

BUT HOW CAN SUCH CONFESION GO UNOTICED AFTER LIKE 4 MILLION PEOPLE MUST HAVE WATCHED IT

it was like 5 years ago, you all have been very helpfull into throwing light into my paranoias like the tanks markings but youll have a hard time disproving that the media is allmighty and can turn the devil into a saint

bun-bun195333
03-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Raaaid,

If you can't act like an adult when a great man passes then I suggest you say nothing at all.

I'm saddened by the world's loss - Arthur C Clarke is out in the universe exploring now.

raaaid
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
im sorry no ofence intended im just looking on anwsers of how could i have watched that confesion on tv 5 years ago and mean nothing

you have your right to have your opinion on clarcke, so do i, mine is just look to his eyes...

i mean theres no family of him here im not trying to offend im expressing myself honestly

im even willing to accept my mind doesnt work correctly and i mixed up things, but after watching that tv program i think is my duty to comment on it i dont say wether its true or false, it could have perfectly benn an hallucination, in fact it fits since seems i was the only one to see it

totally serious about what im saying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

besides you said a great man, after what i watched on tv he seemed to me quite despicable and dont you think in that case is my duty spread what i know so children dont read his books anymore

you can only disprove me by proving that what i watched was a trick of my mind, but plz help explaining how that could have happened

Worf101
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I loved the man's works. I read many a book cover to cover. As to his sexual preferences, who knows. If he committed crimes he should've been tried, judged and sentenced, however I was/am in a position to none of the above.

Da Worfster

raaaid
03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
i know i must have hurt some feelings, comes to my mind the memories of the guy reading it as a child with his dad

but i just tell the story from my point of view, id be disapointed but better disapointed than fooled

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I don`t want to sound mean, but i thought I`d heard he died a couple of years ago. It was weird to hear he`d actually just died!

zardozid
03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
i know i must have hurt some feelings, comes to my mind the memories of the guy reading it as a child with his dad

but i just tell the story from my point of view, id be disapointed but better disapointed than fooled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uncustomary tasteless stoking of the thread Raaaid....definitely lacking your usual "flair" for the absurd.

p.s. I'm not coming down on you....just making an observation. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Mr Clarke will be missed...RIP.</span>

raaaid
03-20-2008, 05:02 AM
"so from 1983-1995 he was perfectly legal to have sex with a 12 year old......you go pointing the finger somewhere else"

of course thats why he went there

i mean ARE YOU SERIOUS?

IF I WERE A MOD ID BAN YOU FOREVER FOR SAYING HAVING SEX WITH A12 YEARS OLD NOT DESERVES BEING POINTED AT

the media lies when they say he was a good man, i saw him myself on tv confessing his discusting crimes

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE WORLD WHEN SOMEONE APPEARS ON TV SAYING HE HAS SEX WITH CHILDREN AND INSTEAD OF GOING TO JAIL HE IS MADE SIR

BEING LEGAL DOESNT MEAN A SHI+ IN 1940 I COULD TAKE A JEWISH AND TORTURE HIM LEGALLY AS MUCH AS DESIRED

major_setback
03-20-2008, 05:37 AM
Raaaid - He just died!!
Good or bad, he deserves some respect at this time.
This isn't the time for judgement.

raaaid
03-20-2008, 05:44 AM
i know but its like somebody had started a thread regretting rudolph hess death when he died

plz put into my position i saw the guy admitting he practised paedophilia, how should i feel when everybody says what a shame and because exposing the truth they get against me?

Joe-90
03-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Raaid, please show some evidence before we judge the man. If the evidence stands up, then we can justify our opinions. It would be a shame to condemn him if perhaps you memory of the video is mistaken?

I can find no reference to a video, only a Sunday Mirror article that was never proven accurate and the newspaper later apologised for the article. This is stated by the Telegraph, a very reputable source HERE (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/19/db1904.xml)

Then we can let the man rest in peace and respect the great contribution he gave to this world.

Outlaw---
03-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Local police and Interpol both asked the tabloid newspaper to provide the tape (video or audio it didn't say) they claimed to have of the alleged interview. They were unable to do so (because it did not exist?) and they retracted the story.

--Outlaw.

raaaid
03-20-2008, 06:09 AM
thanks joe and oulaw youre a reasonable man

ive been searching youtube but nothing

i dont know what to think how could i have been the only one to see it?

it could have been a trick of my mind but something like that caught on fire on my mind

i remember clearly his face and him saying he only had sex with puber boys

then now 5 years later i search and the newspaper interview said the same

also every time someone mentione to me clarke i said who the paedophilum since i saw this 5 years ago

what if the ets show this just to me for some reason, if i told you...

or i had an hallucination that had some truth, oh boy why cant i be normal

this is not the only odd thing ive seen on tv:

once they explained how chicken meat could be any meat thanks to a product that reduced proteing genes from millions to just one single pair with which the origin of the meat cant be told

other time i watched a man with the face burnt quite badly deformated telling jokes

other i watched a show in which a guy handcuffed to the the wheel of a car had to scape befor a demolition truck passed on him, when was the girls turn i swithced channel( a paralel reality?)

Whirlin_merlin
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Just to make it perfectly clear.

Arthur C Clarke was cleared of all charges.

Raaid himself cannot find any trace of his 'television confession'.

Make up your own mind.