PDA

View Full Version : A question about top speed of the planes

Pigeon1989
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
In the data about each plane it has a speed at sea level and a top speed at altitude(several thousand meters). However, as I fly higher the plane's level speed is lower and lower, with it's top speed being at sea level! I have only the 1.0 version and no FB etc. Is it because of this or is there some comand to make the plane go faster at it's suposed top speed altitude? Sorry if there are any incorect words, for this isn't my mother tongue!

Pigeon1989
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
In the data about each plane it has a speed at sea level and a top speed at altitude(several thousand meters). However, as I fly higher the plane's level speed is lower and lower, with it's top speed being at sea level! I have only the 1.0 version and no FB etc. Is it because of this or is there some comand to make the plane go faster at it's suposed top speed altitude? Sorry if there are any incorect words, for this isn't my mother tongue!

georgeo76
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
The airspeed indicator is driven by air pressure, thus it under-reports speed at higher altitudes. This is called Indicated Air Speed, instead of True Air Speed. It is accurate that the gauge preforms this way

tigertalon
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi Pigeon1989, wellcome to the forums.

If you switch to no cockpit view (Ctrl-F1), the "comic" indicator (1.) will show true airspeed (TAS), while the speed bar (2.) will show indicated airspeed, as will the indicator in cockpit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/aegeeaddict/D9_1.jpg