PDA

View Full Version : Solution to an Age old Subsimmers Problem....

Farkitt_
10-15-2004, 11:51 PM
whats the biggest problem facing the Realism hunting SimSub Jockey? Apart from the average WW2 Vintage sub leaked alot more than your average computer room?

Life, thats the biggest problem right. Work, Friends, Wives, Girlfriends, all trying to stop you enjoying your life as a simulated Captain. Well, Heres a solution.

There are people, I'm occasionaly one of these people, that like the idea of having a real cruise. putting it on real time and doing a patrol. They might only want to do it once as sort of an "Experiance" thing, but that still leaves the problem of chewing up your holidays and ending all your relationships.

SH3 Models the crew, thats great, and a great starting point for this idea, If you can model the crew, you can model watches. So, you have a button in the Order menu that hands control over to the first mate, or 2 i/c or whatever the nautical term is, and you can go and work play or sleep, while Your boat is still sailing under the command of your 2 i/c.

Alot wont like this, and would rather pause it, but it's an option thats there! and thats what scalable realism is all about, options.

Being a total pleb when it comes to programming, I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it couldn't be too hard to trigger turning the Craft over to AI, and back to human control.

What you fellas think to that?

Farkitt_
10-15-2004, 11:51 PM
whats the biggest problem facing the Realism hunting SimSub Jockey? Apart from the average WW2 Vintage sub leaked alot more than your average computer room?

Life, thats the biggest problem right. Work, Friends, Wives, Girlfriends, all trying to stop you enjoying your life as a simulated Captain. Well, Heres a solution.

There are people, I'm occasionaly one of these people, that like the idea of having a real cruise. putting it on real time and doing a patrol. They might only want to do it once as sort of an "Experiance" thing, but that still leaves the problem of chewing up your holidays and ending all your relationships.

SH3 Models the crew, thats great, and a great starting point for this idea, If you can model the crew, you can model watches. So, you have a button in the Order menu that hands control over to the first mate, or 2 i/c or whatever the nautical term is, and you can go and work play or sleep, while Your boat is still sailing under the command of your 2 i/c.

Alot wont like this, and would rather pause it, but it's an option thats there! and thats what scalable realism is all about, options.

Being a total pleb when it comes to programming, I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it couldn't be too hard to trigger turning the Craft over to AI, and back to human control.

What you fellas think to that?

hauitsme
10-16-2004, 12:08 AM
It would take a LOT of fancy programming to get the AI anywhere near to what I would accept as my #1 to take command! I'll just stick to the 'feets of my cat/dog' button for now. Perhaps someone could come up with a decent scripting language to leave specific orders for certain situations, but don't look for it anytime soon. But it would perhaps 'fill the bill'.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/sailor.gif

Farkitt_
10-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Like I said, not for everyone.

But if they had it so it would only shadow a convoy untill you took over again, or hide when the DD's came after ya?

I dunno, just an idea so ya can actually do those long patrols.

jeroen-79
10-16-2004, 08:52 AM
How about the ability to write scripts.
that way you can leave orders (standing or temporary) for your crew.

hauitsme
10-16-2004, 12:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeroen-79:
How about the ability to write scripts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why did you post this when it was just said only two post's above yours? Apparently you read something in this thread to know what it was about. DUHhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/redface.gif

HeibgesU999
10-17-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think the tactical options facing a IWO would be any more complex than the reads in a Football Game like Madden.

hauitsme
10-17-2004, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
I don't think the tactical options facing a IWO would be any more complex than the reads in a Football Game like Madden. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I myself wouldn't know since I have never played a single sports game, I stick to sims, RTS, and various other war games. Now if you give me lots, and I mean lots or pre-scripted situation/responses, maybe. But there should be a way to edit them in my own way too.

I'm not sure you can compare the two, though perhaps you can. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

king_cam
10-17-2004, 01:33 PM
i like the idea, if inplemented it will catch on and soon i can see us all with little pages at work with little buttions on the side so when the first mate sees a destroyer you can use that attack button or the hide button, or if it looks bad a return to port buttion

it would be tough on the comp. to do this... having the program run 24/7

jeroen-79
10-17-2004, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
Why did you post this when it was just said only two post's above yours? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To anoy you?
I guess I sometimes post straight after reading post 1.
But you were first indeed.

Coming up with a language wouldn't be that hard.
Just make a list of all the functions to be called by the script and all variables to read and change.
Add some basic math, boolean logic and some I/O methods.
Most existing programming languages would do, take your pick.

But the developers must make the game use these scripts and add an interpreter for the chosen language.

hauitsme
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To anoy you?
I guess I sometimes post straight after reading post 1.
But you were first indeed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Annoy me? Just a little. Only because it gets tiresome having someone post something that was just posted right above theirs.
And no, someone else posted it in another thread. I just repeated 'scripting' here since it applied to the discussion.