the lack of gameplay

Driverman2006
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
No vehicle customization (Drivers 1-3)
Front-end menu (Drivers 1-3 and 76)
No swimming (D:PL and 76)
No jumping (D:PL and 76)
No money system (Drivers 1-3)
Boring and un-liscenced music (Drivers 1-3)
No boats (D:PL)
No forklifts (All except for Driv3r)
No Go-karts (All except for Driv3r)

lookatmedriver3
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Driverman2006:
No vehicle customization (Drivers 1-3)
Front-end menu (Drivers 1-3 and 76)
No swimming (D:PL and 76)
No jumping (D:PL and 76)
No money system (Drivers 1-3)
Boring and un-liscenced music (Drivers 1-3)
No boats (D:PL)
No forklifts (All except for Driv3r)
No Go-karts (All except for Driv3r) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your so right 10000000000%

driver_madness
11-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Both in Driver: Parallel Lines and in DRIV3R there are cops shooting at you, and they kind of over shoot at you. I'd suggest removing the cops ability to use firepower as much as they do. Because they are the ones destroying my ride, NOT my driving.

lookatmedriver3
11-14-2007, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by driver_madness:
Both in Driver: Parallel Lines and in DRIV3R there are cops shooting at you, and they kind of over shoot at you. I'd suggest removing the cops ability to use firepower as much as they do. Because they are the ones destroying my ride, NOT my driving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah i agree http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EdiTheGodfather
11-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Driver Parallel Lines needs:

a multiplayer mode
boas, planes, helicopters (all of them customizable)
jumping
swiming (under the water too)
more car customization
more music
less 2006 era if possible not at all
more guns and bigger (take the rocket launcher example: the one from 78 you'd say it's a shotgun, and the one from 06 it's more like a pistol)
more cars
bigger city (not that i don't spend more time moving around from a mission to another than the mission itself but you know what they say, the bigger the better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )
car textures from night time should be in day time too
more realistic damage (similar to the one in RIV3R, if even better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

lb003g0676
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I am sick of these ridiculous suggestions.

I am sick of a focus being on not driving but shooting and on foot missions.

I am sick of customisation

I hate different time settings

I am sick of there not being Tanner.

I am sick of terrible animations

and Finally I am sick of there being no Film Director mode.

Ubisoft take heed, and stop making GTA clones, let driver get abck to it's roots.

Driverman2006
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lb003g0676:

Ubisoft take heed, and stop making GTA clones, let driver get abck to it's roots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Crack smoker for sure... Why would anybody not want vehicle customization in a car game? It's a standard nowadays for ALL driving games. And it BETTER be in ALL future Driver games. Plus, "Abck" is not a word in the English language. So you lose 1b003g0676. Ha ha!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

driver_madness
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM

agreed, some suggestions do seem a little over the top.

well the games are still fairly focused on driving, but do contain about 15% on foot action. I think they should decrease that to about &gt;2% on foot with weapons and because we don't want to feel restricted within an open-ended world.

I am sick of customization

well customization adds to the game, it's good to be able to make your car look different. But it's not essiencal.

Having both *78 and *06 was great a little action for those oldies who perfered the 70s style and those who prefer more serious action within present day.

Yeah, tanner was great. But It was probably time for a change and TK was a fairly solid character.

Well the in-game animations are fairly bad, but the rendered animations are awesome. It kind of shows you whats in store for the next generation driver and next generation you'll probably be able to get the quality of the intro driv3r render. =D

Yeah, film director was awesome. Very awesome.
Very sad to see it go, but really without the film director the developers had more control over AI and Graphics eg. Draw Distance. So removing the film director left enough processing power for drawing more trees, lamp posts, picket fences while your driving around the city. It also allowed more vehicles within the streets and smarter cops and traffic. With next generation technology the film director will be possible however there will still be a big limit on AI compared to other games that don't have replay functionality.

you could say grand trismo has a good replay feature, but you must remember that there are very few items drawn on the screen at one particular time.

Usually there are about 6 cars, and six seperate buildings and a few cones. Driver: Parallel Lines was able to achieve hundreds of picket fences along with hundreds of buildings and about 12 cars on the screen at once all with fairly smart AI.

Ubisoft take heed, and stop making GTA clones, let driver get abck to it's roots.

Yeah, well there not really gta clones now anyrate. What is a gta clone well it's exactly a gta game with no difference.

A clone is a copy of something, so if I burn a copy of it I cloned it, this is not the case with Driver or any other games which are similar to gta.

lookatmedriver3
11-21-2007, 12:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Driverman2006:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lb003g0676:

Ubisoft take heed, and stop making GTA clones, let driver get abck to it's roots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Crack smoker for sure... Why would anybody not want vehicle customization in a car game? It's a standard nowadays for ALL driving games. And it BETTER be in ALL future Driver games. Plus, "Abck" is not a word in the English language. So you lose 1b003g0676. Ha ha!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed driverman2006

lb003g0676
11-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Abck is word, if you type too fast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Customisation actually I was a bit harsh on, but I hate over the top aesthetic cutosmisation. I hope we get in-depth performance customisation, that would be awesome. And then some aesthetic customisation.

I will say aswell i was wrong about the GTA clone thing. But they are tryign too hard to be like GTA. Developers shoudl stop tryign to be so careful. They should be innovative and thick about an objective gameplay innovation. Surely it being called driver, it should be driving.

The on foot can be extremely clumsy visceral running (slow and vulnerable) and shooting with Gear of War/ Kill.Switch style cover system. So that the car can be used as cover.

But shooting should be mainly from the car- much cooler.

J_Frumpleberg
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Have no fear Driver fans, we are reading these forums and making necesary changes, you won't be dissapointed!

Driverman2006
12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J_Frumpleberg:
Have no fear Driver fans, we are reading these forums and making necesary changes, you won't be dissapointed! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you work for Ubisoft or Reflections? If you do, then I think God is giving me a miracle!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

skidmark1948
12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
In general DPL is a huge improvement over DRIV3R. The car physics is, well, unPARALLELED, lol!
For me although I just got the game, it looks like the mission scripting is the same-old same-old frantic "flat out point to pont beat the clock" stuff as before. This is how REFLECTIONS forces game-time, by the "repeat until successful" method. Of course, this is all some players require.
I'd like to see some different types of missions.
There's nothing like having choices!
I want to have mouselook while in-car. The current in-car viewing system is severely restricted.
I'd like to be able to set a user-default chase view.
Must be able to jump, climb and swim.
User defined save points so you can retry certain missions if you want. Sometimes I don't have time to complete missions successfuly and have to keep starting over but this is probably another underhanded trick to force gameplay time.
I'm not taking sides on the DRIVER/GTAx debate.

J_Frumpleberg
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes I work for Reflections.

Driverman2006
12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J_Frumpleberg:
Yes I work for Reflections. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ALRIGHT!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif Would you like to tell us your name? Maybe you're in the credits of previous Driver games.

More things that I am sick of in Driver games:
No train riding or driving (all Drivers, except you can ride trains in Driv3r)
No bad weather (D:PL)
Riding Shotgun missions (Drivers 3, 76 and PL)
No on foot action (Driver 1)
Geography innaccuracies (D:PL and 76)
Burnout Button seperate from accelerator (Drivers 1-3)
Poor vehicle control mappings (Drivers 1-3)
Poor on foot control mappings (Drivers 2, 76, and PL)
No flyable aircraft (All Drivers)
No drivable boats (All except for Driv3r)

That's all for now.

J_Frumpleberg
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm James Frumpleberg, new addition to the Reflections staff since the last game.

Driverman2006
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm James Frumpleberg, new addition to the Reflections staff since the last game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cool! We've always wanted to get into conversations with Reflections employees! And now it's here! Hey Jim, do you live in England? Because the HQ is in Newcastle. And when you mean "Last" game, do you mean Driver: Parallel Lines, Driver 76, or both?

PennySillin
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
i hated how none of the cool vehciles actually do anything. like the fire truck dosnt shoot water. and the tank cant destory buildigs?

J_Frumpleberg
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I was hired last September, but did not work on 76.

Driverman2006
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PennySillin:
i hated how none of the cool vehciles actually do anything. like the fire truck dosnt shoot water. and the tank cant destory buildigs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I agree with you too. In fact, Reflections LIED to us back in 2005 with D:PL. In 2005, they said in previews that certain vehicles will have certain functions and features. Here's a list of features that were said to be in there (I'm NOT making this up):

*Cops will chase other people
*Fire trucks and firefighters will put out fires
*Ambulances and doctors will come to accidents to save people's lives and give you restored health
*Garbage trucks and garbage men will run their routes and pick up garbage from garbage cans
*Tow trucks will come to accidents to tow wrecked vehicles.

I hope those cool features happen in the next Driver game.

J_Frumpleberg, I hope you and the rest of Reflections can get our wishes down! We have faith in you.

NotoriousDriver
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Didn't Driver come out before GTA and start this genre? I could be wrong though.
I thought the story was kinda neat and the animations seemed to me top notch.

PennySillin
12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Lack of Interaction
*You can't use the trunk of a car, or the cargo areas of semi's, delivery trucks
*Can't ride as passenger in a taxi, bus, or train
*Can't even drive a train, can't be that hard to implement, theres no steering involved!
*Can't enter buildings, manipulate objects, barely able to fight people

Film Director
*Don't use it much but its nice to have, needs some more features too

*Very limited abilities, can't jump, climb, crawl, roll, swim, dive, fly (cheat code please?)

InsaneDriver06
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm James Frumpleberg, new addition to the Reflections staff since the last game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great to see a post from Reflections, thanks James. I'll try to remember to look for your name in the credits of the new Driver!

Glad to hear our comments aren't going unnoticed from all these months, can't wait to see the new Driver hopefully in 2008. Best success with the game, it's a lot of work and time. Feel free to let us know how you've been contributing to the new Driver.

---

On topic: Things I don't like about Driver?

-DRiv3r's SLOW top speed of 88 mph was brought to 140 thanks to DPL, problem solved.

-The cops in Driv3r along the sides of the road shooting your car were a pain and defeated the fun of a good car chase. DPL didn't have them, so that's good.

-Needs an interior dash view. Please include more camera views to cycle through, more cinematic too. How about a helicopter camera view ala World's Scariest Police Chases? That would be great, few games try that.

-Popping tires are "anti-car chase". Driver 1 didn't have it, and the chase lasted that much longer thanks to the strong tires.

-Bigger maps. DPL was pretty giant, but something as big as TDU with tons of backroads, dirt, hills, forests, cities, towns, mountains, deserts and more would be awesome for Driver.

-On foot without much purpose got boring in DPL. Hopefully, if it's included, there'll be more vehicle interaction, stunts and tasks.

-DPL had very few interiors, bring back the malls from Driv3r to crash and walk through. All interiors should allow on foot I'd hope.

-Day/night cycle from DPL was a bit fast. Offer a way to slow it down for more daylight/nightime.

-Bring back the Options/Cheat checklist from DPL/Driv3r. For options, include Traffic count, police on/off, weather on/off, day/night on/off, pedestrians on/off, and more. Those few options make a big difference in replay value. Also consider including controller layout mapping of all buttons.

-Offer an online mode for bigger sales.

-Allow more vehicle customization on par or better than DPL.

-Continue including motorcycles as Driv3r and DPL did. They're my favorite transportation, skim through traffic, fast acceleration, easy to get away on.

-DPL and Driv3r cops weren't as tough to lose as the ones from Driver 1 and 2. Offer smarter cops, but with an option for easy/medium/toughest.

-Less guns, more vehicle chases. More clever missions that aren't so much "pressing you to be at a certain spot on time", but rather make the whole experience fun by pressing your skills at driving more. Less timed missions in other words. Adding a timer doesn't make it more fun.

-At the very least, bring back the Film Director from Driver 1, which was the best. Driv3r's instant replays weren't varied, needed more camera views.

-DPL's train system would be cool if they impacted chases more. More trains, more action when passing over tracks. Include a passenger train for touring.

-I hope Reflections considers many of the ideas in the forums from loyal Driver fans, thanks!

More ideas later.

driver_madness
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I was hired last September, but did not work on 76. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to be speaking to you.
But one thing possess my mind, your name doesn't appear anywhere in the UK Phonebook. It is possible you could be working remotely, but that seems unlikely.

Anyways, good luck if you are an employee and I hope reflections interactive are also checking out the driver madness forums at http://www.drivermadness.net/main/index.php

there is some good stuff out there now.
All of a sudden the forums have become so much more popular so I decided to open up an entire section dedicated to wishes = http://www.drivermadness.net/main/viewforum.php?f=58

But wishes seem to appear throughout the forums so it's worth a look.

Also wondering your position's at Reflections Interactive.

and because I'm on a slight constant wonder finding out who you really are I've decided to check the time you posted your thread and match what time that would be in Newcastle and that suggests your posts are posted around 5pm to 11pm Newcastle Time so this suggests you are a resident of Newcastle.

So your most likely an employee, I thought reflections wouldn't let their team start going around on all the forums and reveal their identity. But I guess there is really no problem with that.

Maybe you should open up a new thread so users of the community can ask sensible questions.

JacksonL2007
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Hey thanks for feedback from reflections you no doub will get more traffic on the forums for this, meaning more ideas. Check out some of my ideas i have wrote about in past few months, heres a short list of essentials.

Spend less time and money on cutscenes, notice all the next gen games cutscenes arnt as good as DPL's? I want all the graphics money to go into gameplay.

A completely interactive enviroment. ie get to rid taxis, get to start riots, get to use the buildings, bring back the safehouses from D3. only give us something to do in them. And if we have a safehouse a garage might be usful. (underground car parks now that would be nice)

Enviroment again must be relistic not only in graphics but in weather and police/pedestrian/thug/etc 's reactions. Usualy they over react, but it would be good other than to just shot them down u could interact with them. If u are going to do this. Do it right not some crappy job by bob downstairs who is used to working on dreamcast mario games.

Music helps the enviroment too. Customizable would be good, but for the cutscenes I would suggest the more un-commercial songs.

Mad World - Gary Jules
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Almost cut my hair (would be good for trailer)
Road to hell - Chris Rea (good for credits [credits should start off with a car driving down a bendy country road at night and u see nothing but the headlights infront of you.])
Highway Star - Deep Purple
Pretender - Foo Fighters
Fear of the dark - iron maiden
hunted by a freak - mogwai
Echoes - Pink Floyd
Blowout - Radiohead
Black Betty - Ram Jam
satisfaction - rolling stones
Shes Not There - Santana
Heaven Can Wait - Meat Loaf
Bat out of Hell - Meat Loaf.

Just my contribution

Driverman2006
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I kind of want the first trailer of the next Driver game to look a little bit like my video. Watch and see what I mean...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLr1eam-iiU

And it should be easy to license "In the Mood" by The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Glenn Miller is dead, so his music shouldn't be so hard to impliment into the game's soundtrack. Like I said before, the next Driver games need good and real music in the soundtrack. Enjoy my In the "Driving" Mood video, Reflections (as well as everybody else)!

PennySillin
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
That song doesn't really make me want to drive, it makes me feel like dressing like the Planters Nut and dancing on a set of stairs with a cane.

I have to disagree on the police/gang response to your actions, more subdued is not what this game needs, its so boring already, if anything they should respond like in Blues Brothers, where the guy on the police radio says "Use of unnecessary force is allowed in the apprehention of the Blues Brothers"

I suppose it is annoying to have the cops trying to kill you for minute things, especially when you're exploring the game, then the cops become an annoyance, but I still like their overly aggressive approach to their job from the original game, just change the circumstances a little

Driverman2006
12-05-2007, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PennySillin:
That song doesn't really make me want to drive, it makes me feel like dressing like the Planters Nut and dancing on a set off stairs with a cane.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? I saw some action-packed car commercial or movie (in the 90s) that had that song play in the background. I think it's a great song for the Driver series!

lb003g0676
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Glenn Miller, a swing composer is hardly fitting for Driver. I wnat them to focus on music, but i think an awesome soundtrack can be achieved, without giving custom music options.

They need to focus on the funk and, rock alternative. I'm thinking organs, clavichords and guitars.

@JacksonL2007 Black Betty for example is good, but those are all way too mainstream.

I think, some Beck is in order.

Anyway, @ J_frumpleberg, nice to see a dev, if you aren't pulling our leg. No offence but you can't ever be sure. I woudl love to work there, as a concept artist, put in a good word for me :P.

But serisouly dude, make sure you guys are goign back to the roots of driver, and stop trying to follow what GTA basically plagiarised from you. The focus now needs to be on driving, and think about EVERYTHING, that can be done with a car. Tanner after all, is good at shooting, but his skills are in cars. Focus on cars!!!

Driverman2006
12-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not arguing with anybody. But when it comes to music, I think they need to focus on all genres. Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Soul, Classic Hip Hop, Modern Hip Hop, Swing, Disco, Ragae, Funk, and many others. A diverse soundtrack is a must.

lb003g0676
12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I actually know it sounds ignorant, ebcuase, believe me, I ahve Glenn Miller on my iPod, believe it or not. Alogn with a load of stuff like that. Infact I ahve progresive inmprovised Jazz.

But I think a diverse subject is once again GTA's place, down to the radiostation. Driver has always been more cinematic with a personality when it comes to music. Bottom line is, you can stick anythig you want in, without loosing identity and detracting from the story. Like many people (obviosuly not you driverman, becuase to like Glenn Miller gives me a lot of repsect for your music taste) without taste, would want Driver to be filled with thrash metal.

But otherwise I totally agree about having an electic soundtrack.

P.S thats why i don't like Driver:PL, cus it completely lost it's indentity, becoming more like GTA, becuase Reflections knew it was a selling formula. Sure sure, it's about the gameplay,a dn that is good, but it's also about story and style. Music was good in PL though.

InsaneDriver06
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I usually just turn all the music off. For a more realistic, less distracting chase.

Driverman2006
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I actually know it sounds ignorant, ebcuase, believe me, I ahve Glenn Miller on my iPod, believe it or not. Alogn with a load of stuff like that. Infact I ahve progresive inmprovised Jazz.

But I think a diverse subject is once again GTA's place, down to the radiostation. Driver has always been more cinematic with a personality when it comes to music. Bottom line is, you can stick anythig you want in, without loosing identity and detracting from the story. Like many people (obviosuly not you driverman, becuase to like Glenn Miller gives me a lot of repsect for your music taste) without taste, would want Driver to be filled with thrash metal.

But otherwise I totally agree about having an electic soundtrack.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do like the customizable soundtrack idea (the XBOX 360 has that for any game). But the thing is, diversity is better. Driver CANNOT be a weak-*** 90s style game anymore (like Driver 1), we have new standards nowadays for the series. This is 2007, not 1999. And I do have a broad interest of music. I love all kinds of music from the 1940s to today. Now, I don't really support the radio station idea, but I do want the music system from D:PL again. The music system where you can select whatever song you want at the push of a button. I DON'T want that piece of $#!+ music system from Drivers 1-3 where it's crappy music that changes to the mood.

PennySillin
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Driver 1's music was by far the best, you just don't like it because there's no singing, or because you won't hear it on MTV.

That Glenn Miller song would just sound goofy in Driver. Nothings wrong with the song, its alright, not my cup of tea.

Take Pink Floyd for example, I love them, but their music doesn't sound right in the game, its kinda on the slow side. Zeppelin is much the same, though the Immigrant Song would fit perfect for a high speed chase. (hint hint)

JacksonL2007
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Driver 1's music was by far the best, you just don't like it because there's no singing, or because you won't hear it on MTV.

That Glenn Miller song would just sound goofy in Driver. Nothings wrong with the song, its alright, not my cup of tea.

Take Pink Floyd for example, I love them, but their music doesn't sound right in the game, its kinda on the slow side. Zeppelin is much the same, though the Immigrant Song would fit perfect for a high speed chase. (hint hint) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont agree with the pink floyd comment look at the early stuff like echoes listen to that next time ur late night driving. i want the next driver to feel like that.

It was said above that commercial songs are not good for driver but i disagree i said in my other post the un-commercial songs would be good and they would but commercial songs work just aswell. Its the mood that adds realism not graphics, but i want good graphics too lol :P

Bands like iron maiden would be good. I dont like it in DPL that when u get out of your car the song stops as if its radio. Its so annoying i would have it just play continulessly, and to be in no particular order. Thats why u could have a song like mad world playing when ur just walking about town but when ur in a car chase u could listen to highway star. get my meaning

lb003g0676
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry, but Driver did ahve awesome music. It was obviosuly not great in free drive becuase it was looped, but speciically with a DVD9 or if PS3 exclusive Bluray, they can make the sogns longer and better. But they need to make in-house developed music, that is set to fit with the action.

And the storyline shoudl be jam packed with songs that follow an identity. I guess I am not saying, there shouldn't be an ecletic soundtrack, I am just saying, the more it gives the game an identity, the more the story si brought out. And old 70's Police Chase soaps have the perfect funk music. Also note the movie Bullit.

On that note, it shoudlbe like this, so as to stay away from GTA, and to create ultimate cinematic experience, just liek movies. If you were to watch a movie with your music, it would suck.

I have and currently am studying Media,a nd I promise, any other way wouldn't be as good. Main point is it gives the game identity, which it needs to be involving and interesting.

driver_madness
12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
The music is great in all previous driver.
I understand what your saying about getting out of the vehicle and the music stops.

I could drive a vehicle without music and play for a long time. But when you have to go and find another vehicle it's just plain boring and music just spices things up again. (Spice Girls http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif )

In driv3r it was good because the music continued on playing, but it was the same track all the time which gets a bit boring after a while.

I think custom play lists should be a big thing, the creators should worry about licensing to much for the game. People just get board of it after a while. Particularly when it's the only game you play for an entire year.

driver_madness
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry, but Driver did ahve awesome music. It was obviosuly not great in free drive becuase it was looped, but speciically with a DVD9 or if PS3 exclusive Bluray, they can make the sogns longer and better. But they need to make in-house developed music, that is set to fit with the action.

And the storyline shoudl be jam packed with songs that follow an identity. I guess I am not saying, there shouldn't be an ecletic soundtrack, I am just saying, the more it gives the game an identity, the more the story si brought out. And old 70's Police Chase soaps have the perfect funk music. Also note the movie Bullit.

On that note, it shoudlbe like this, so as to stay away from GTA, and to create ultimate cinematic experience, just liek movies. If you were to watch a movie with your music, it would suck.

I have and currently am studying Media,a nd I promise, any other way wouldn't be as good. Main point is it gives the game identity, which it needs to be involving and interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a part of learning video editing I have always liked they way driver usually goes with the music, particularly the trailers, at a certain beat you get a car crash and at a different form of beat you get car chases.

Driver: Parallel Lines did fairly well with the music and the scene. Driver 3 did to and Driver 2 did good as well.

My next fake driver trailer will focus on getting the elements you and I have mentioned just right.

InsaneDriver06
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
More ramps and jumps!!! Coasting through the air, engine roaring till the wheels hit the ground before hitting the next stunt ramp. That's one thing I always look forward to while playing a Driver game. The problem is, there's not enough opportunities in a flat-land like Miami. Nice offered some great jumps, but even that could use a lot more. DPL did a good job with jumps, but could still use more. I'd like to see more leaps like at the first garage, jumping across the water canyon.

More ramps, jumps, cliffs, stunt opportunities spread throughout the terrain will increase the fun factor.

PennySillin
12-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll give you echoes, I don't usually listen to it but I am right now, and it would be a good night song, maybe they could shorten it down from 23 minutes though..

The music for DPL was the right era, but I still dislike it, it just doesn't seem right, the vocals sound weird, some of it is too happy sounding, not funky enough.

I do like some of it, especially Smash it Up, great song to jump in a car to after blowing up a bunch of cops

lb003g0676
12-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Yes, as a settign i think San Francisco would be awesome. Just amkes me think of Driver 1. And Bullit. Ahhhh, yes San Francisco it has to be. As well as Monaco and defitnely soemwhere with cliffs.

What has famous wilderness roadside cliffs?

Imagine having to ram a sturdy foe of the edge while in ahigh speed chase on a deserted wilderness cliff edge road at night.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Look, Reflections would be screwing themselves up if they removed the licensed music from the gameplay. They'd be commiting "Driver Suicide" if they did something like that. Listen to me, Driver: Parallel Lines started a REVOLUTION in video game soundtracks. It got old artists back into the music industry, and many real songs were licensed. So it's MANDITORY that Reflections can continue with that. Take it from me, people. I know what's best for the future of the series. Driverman2006's ideas = The bright future for Driver. There's some math for ya!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JacksonL2007
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, as a settign i think San Francisco would be awesome. Just amkes me think of Driver 1. And Bullit. Ahhhh, yes San Francisco it has to be. As well as Monaco and defitnely soemwhere with cliffs.

What has famous wilderness roadside cliffs?

Imagine having to ram a sturdy foe of the edge while in ahigh speed chase on a deserted wilderness cliff edge road at night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I loved about Driver 2 - Rio. Rio was by far my favourite city out of all the cities in driver, the cities in driver2 were the best.

@ PennySillin, theres nothing wrong with having lyrics in it. Addicted to speed, oh my god, one way or another. All of them, are good and work. The whale noises bit in the middle of echoes is a bit much.

@ InsaneDriver06, i understand what u are saying, But jumps isnt the only things i want in driver. The complete enviroment is important. Cliffs hills, roads (dirt, highway, icey)

being able to change physics would be a good feature, relistic, exaggerated, crazy

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Another thing I'm sick of in the Driver series are foreign places. I think Driver 1, 76 and PL got it right by having it set in just America only. Actually, it does'nt make me so sick that those cities are foreign, it's just that those aren't countries that speak English and aren't develpoed countries. They really steered away from the Driver vibe when they put in cities that are in countries like Cuba, Brazil, France, and Turkey, that was all $#!+. If they want to go foreign again, I suggest they ONLY, ONLY pick either Canada, or the United Kingdom, or both. See, those countries are "English Inspired", which is where the Driver vibe is supposed to exist. And no more of this wild-*** safari $#!+ from Drivers 2&3 again.

lb003g0676
12-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Driverman. You're future is misinformed or deluded.

PL didn't start the craze of old music soundtracks being revamped, Vice City did that. Licensed music is good, but they need to choose it,and it should be pretty much off the radar to suit Drivers heritage. Fashionable at the moment is looking back at the past, rather than crapping on it's elders. And there needs to be some in-house music undeniably, just only good and extensive tracks.

As for the wild *** safari as you put it.... dunno if you noticed, but the world does not revolve around Anglicised countries. I agree we need America, it's Tanners homeland, but there does need to be some jet setting. Becuase America, UK and Canada do not offer every type of road.

By the way, did you just try to claim that UK was English inspired? What planet are you on? Seriously, England is one of the countries within the UK, it's not inspired by it... it's 1/4 of it.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 07:25 PM

PL didn't start the craze of old music soundtracks being revamped, Vice City did that. Licensed music is good, but they need to choose it,and it should be pretty much off the radar to suit Drivers heritage. Fashionable at the moment is looking back at the past, rather than crapping on it's elders. And there needs to be some in-house music undeniably, just only good and extensive tracks.

As for the wild *** safari as you put it.... dunno if you noticed, but the world does not revolve around Anglicised countries. I agree we need America, it's Tanners homeland, but there does need to be some jet setting. Becuase America, UK and Canada do not offer every type of road.

By the way, did you just try to claim that UK was English inspired? What planet are you on? Seriously, England is one of the countries within the UK, it's not inspired by it... it's 1/4 of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only those who do drugs would say I'm "Misinformed" or "Deluted". I want "Cool" stuff in the next Driver game like the deepest in vehicle customization, all vehicles operable, on foot action, and a $#!+ load of licensed music.

GTA:VC does have licensed music, but it didn't really start a revolution. Hell, D:PL made it into the top video game soundtracks on MTV of 2006. I don't think GTA ever made it into something that high.

Foreign cities from non-Anglicised countries really did kill Drivers 2&3 (especially Driv3r). If you think about it. They really picked out the world's most f**ked up cities. It was a STUPID move to put a Middle Eastern city (Istanbul) in there set around 2003 or 2004. Don't you remember what happened in those years out there? Saddam? Terrorism? Suicide bombings? Sure those weren't in Driv3r's storyline, but why would anybody want to play in a part of the world we're at war with? Plus, it was also dumb to put a French city in there. The rest of the world (well, many people) hates France. And hey, I'm part french (just a little bit) but I still don't want to go there.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif I made a typo! I ment the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. I was just trying to shorten what I was saying. Besides, London is really the best part of the UK and England. I don't know what's so appealing about the rest of the provinces (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) for a Driver game. And that's the thing with the UK, it's one country composed of 4 regional places. There's no more of this stuff where Scotland and England are 2 seperate countries.

If I made the next Driver game and was FORCED to go international with its setting, I'd pick the following cities:
New York, NY, USA with extentions to CT, NJ, Long Island, and The Hudson Valley
Toronto, ON, CA with extentions to Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY, USA
London, England with all of its districts

InsaneDriver06
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
They're going to have a Driver soundtrack no matter what, most likely licensed music like they've been doing, and Ubi has the budget for it besides.

I did like the music in DPL mostly but for a number of tracks. That was the only Soundtrack out of all the Driver's I really paid some attention to, but I mostly drive without music till after I finish the game.

I don't mind what country it's in, as long as it has a giant city with tall buildings, tons of backroads, cliffs, hills, mountains, tunnels, rural areas, deserts, rivers/bridges, etc. America has a lot of variety, so that's one place to start, but Reflections is a European developer, so they know their land well enough too to make a great game. I don't mind a bit of each, but would prefer one giant landscape with a day/night cycle like TDU's Oahu Hawaii, but not Hawaii, just something with as much variety.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
They're going to have a Driver soundtrack no matter what, most likely licensed music like they've been doing, and Ubi has the budget for it besides.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I Hope that's true!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lb003g0676
12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Driverman2006, you are ridiculous.

Turkey is not in the Middle East. Turkey was even being considered for EU involvedment. And since you're geography seems to be abysmal the EU stands for European Union.

And in additon to that France is superb, it's the birthplace of some of the earliest car makers (Peugot and Citroen) and is a great place for driving. Much of Europe is. People who hate France in anything more than a cynical fashion are insolent.

No GTA didn't make it into any chart as blatantly specific as that.. It infact went to REAL charts, not specifically for game soundtracks.

Anyway, to me, Driver isn't about cool in naythign other than a moody sense. Car customisation... YES, I love it... But make it mainly performance boosting, none of this street-racing **** (thats GTA land). Only cars, bikes and boats (but put a major emphasis on cars) and little on foot action (GTA again) and the small amount there is needs to be car related.

Also just focus on classic cars, none of these new japanese imports (obviously some for realisms sake). Otehrwise ONCE again you are going into GTA realms.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I do know that EU is "European Nation". And many people do consider Turkey as the "Middle East". I know my geography, dude.

And no street racing for the next Driver? That would suck. And street racing is not in "GTA Land". GTA's street racing is a sucky example of a good street racing game. Midnight Club 3 is a better example. But still, D:PL had it, and it was fun, so it NEEDS to stay.

And old cars only? That would suck. The cars in ALL future Driver games MUST range from the 1940s-2000s. Just like in D:PL and Driv3r (OK, Driv3r had a $#!+ load of vehicles from the 1970s-1990s, but just give it the era of good cars again, the 1940s-2000s). And this is not a ride that you would find at "GTA Land" ever!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

lb003g0676
12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Okay I am going to step back here.

Maybe it's just the way you feel you own the forum and demand what needs to stay that i find obnoxious.

Lets leave that there. I can understand street racing. But it would be street racing without nitrous, without japanese imports and more like pulling up a traffic lights to see soemone in a classic Ferrari beside you, a nod and you're in a drag race. No scantily dressed women swinging the checkered flag for glorified pieces of plastic with wheels and flammable gaseous content.

Maybe the scantily clad women could be placed soemwhere else though.... we don't want to loose them completely.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Well I do think that there should be Japanese imports again. But I don't think it should matter what kind of vehicle you want to drive in a street race. If Japanese imports are your vibe in a street race, go drive one. If Old American Muscle cars are your vibe in a street race, go drive one. If trucks and SUVs are your vibe in a street race, go drive on. If choppers are you vibe in a street race, go ride one. If sports bikes are your vibe in a street race, go drive one. Etc, etc. See, variety and fairness works well in a game. It really increases the replay value.

lb003g0676
12-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I guess that is very true.

It's just a fine line to cross. Identity can be lost as soon as you change the style. Japanses imports woudl ahve to be balanced out with classic cars massively though. They are cheap and aren't ever goign to be a plot basis for Tanner. Muscle, classic and super cars are more his thing.

Driverman2006
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't know how a certain class of vehicle is going to change the character's story. Just as long as they have a large variety of things so you can get the job done is all that really matters to me.

PennySillin
12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Driverman2006, you sir are an idiot. That is all

Driverman2006
12-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Driverman2006, you sir are an idiot. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah right.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif What kind of a ******* comeback is that?http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The_Gabo
12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Driverman2006, you sir are an idiot. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no idiot, I just think he makes very ridiculous suggestions. And about the countries. Driverman, I'm really disagree with you. I think was original to put that cities in D3.

JacksonL2007
12-08-2007, 04:45 PM

By the way, did you just try to claim that UK was English inspired? What planet are you on? Seriously, England is one of the countries within the UK, it's not inspired by it... it's 1/4 of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only those who do drugs would say I'm "Misinformed" or "Deluted". I want "Cool" stuff in the next Driver game like the deepest in vehicle customization, all vehicles operable, on foot action, and a $#!+ load of licensed music.

GTA:VC does have licensed music, but it didn't really start a revolution. Hell, D:PL made it into the top video game soundtracks on MTV of 2006. I don't think GTA ever made it into something that high.

Foreign cities from non-Anglicised countries really did kill Drivers 2&3 (especially Driv3r). If you think about it. They really picked out the world's most f**ked up cities. It was a STUPID move to put a Middle Eastern city (Istanbul) in there set around 2003 or 2004. Don't you remember what happened in those years out there? Saddam? Terrorism? Suicide bombings? Sure those weren't in Driv3r's storyline, but why would anybody want to play in a part of the world we're at war with? Plus, it was also dumb to put a French city in there. The rest of the world (well, many people) hates France. And hey, I'm part french (just a little bit) but I still don't want to go there.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif I made a typo! I ment the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. I was just trying to shorten what I was saying. Besides, London is really the best part of the UK and England. I don't know what's so appealing about the rest of the provinces (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) for a Driver game. And that's the thing with the UK, it's one country composed of 4 regional places. There's no more of this stuff where Scotland and England are 2 seperate countries.

If I made the next Driver game and was FORCED to go international with its setting, I'd pick the following cities:
New York, NY, USA with extentions to CT, NJ, Long Island, and The Hudson Valley
Toronto, ON, CA with extentions to Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY, USA
London, England with all of its districts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXCUSE ME, England is not, I repeat not the only place in the uk thats got something to offer. And there is still a lot of the scotland v england thing and u know why? its because people like u view britain as an english country so I find it very offensive for u to say that. I'm scottish, I'm European, I am NOT english. Your comments about the middle east and france are boarderline racism aswell. Not to mention UBISOFT is french so I would not be entirely suprised if there is a french location in the next driver. And btw nice was the best city in driv3r and Rio was also very VERY good in Driver2.

Just watch how u word things, if u worded this to mean what its comes across as then i suggest u dont speak. The world does not revolve around america, canada and the UK. I find it very closed minded to not even consider the idea of a forgein country not to mention u want the UK but not scotland, northern island and wales. If u want england u say england and if u want the UK u mean the WHOLE uk. I so hope we get our referendom. I know a lot of english people that feel ashamed to be english because of people like you!

I thought more of you until now

Driverman2006
12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Ubisoft is French?http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Then how come their HQ address is "San Francisco" on the back cover of their games? Oh, and I'm sorry about classifying the people in the UK as one type of people. See, I'm an American. So appearently, I'm not too good at telling what a person is based on their region (from other parts of the world). Just like people from the rest of the world consider me to be a "Northern American". That's not necessarily true. I'm a "NORTHEASTERN" American. "Northern" Americans are usually people from like Minnesota or Wisconsin (at least that's what we Northeasterners think).

I didn't mean to be "Racist" about saying that Turkey and France are bad countries for the Driver series. They're not great in the series (at least that's what I think). And "Racism" is saying $#!+ about a certain group of people. I don't recall saying anything about that.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the Driver series is best in the USA, Canada, Bermuda, Australia, and/or UK. Because it then has a good and solid feel to it, since they all have something in common with each other (like languages, cultures, etc). And I won't change my opinion on that.

JacksonL2007
12-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Ubisoft is French?http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Then how come their HQ address is "San Francisco" on the back cover of their games? Oh, and I'm sorry about classifying the people in the UK as one type of people. See, I'm an American. So appearently, I'm not too good at telling what a person is based on their region (from other parts of the world). Just like people from the rest of the world consider me to be a "Northern American". That's not necessarily true. I'm a "NORTHEASTERN" American. "Northern" Americans are usually people from like Minnesota or Wisconsin (at least that's what we Northeasterners think).

I didn't mean to be "Racist" about saying that Turkey and France are bad countries for the Driver series. They're not great in the series (at least that's what I think). And "Racism" is saying $#!+ about a certain group of people. I don't recall saying anything about that.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the Driver series is best in the USA, Canada, Bermuda, Australia, and/or UK. Because it then has a good and solid feel to it, since they all have something in common with each other (like languages, cultures, etc). And I won't change my opinion on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't expect u to change ur view. and btw i mean ubisoft was originaly french. And when I called u racist it was because of the way u were talking about people in france, middle east etc. You say racism is when u only target one group well if i call somebody a 'french poof' then thats ok because its two diffeent groups? I do not think so. Anyway I think we should go back to the subject in hand Driver. And i forgive u for the british remark I can be gulty of it myself when talking about forgein people.

lb003g0676
12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm English.

And seriously I agree, thats why i broguht up the point on UK, he was sayign that they are different provinces. We are countries of our own.

And it was the terrorism comments that were borderline racist. And just absically the afct that Nice was so awesome. I loved the cars in Istanbul though. nad the old town in Nice is beauitful and great for stunts.

PennySillin
12-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Miami in D3 was lame in comparison to the other two cities. NY in DPL was lamer yet.

Come to think of it, San Fransisco was the only fun US city in Driver. No, Chicago was cool too, with all its drawbridges and elevated trains to weave around. (hint hint we need a cheat code to keep the drawbridges at perfect launch angle on all future games)

Other than those two cities, the only good ones were Havana, Rio, Nice, and Istanbul. Miami in the first one was ok, but only because that bridge you could jump.

lb003g0676
12-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree. And San Francisco was SOOO awesme in the first game.

And Nice was proabablymy favoruite settign in all Driver games (i don't count PL as a Driver game, and i don't need to anyway, cus it's locations were dull).

PennySillin
12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I wish Nice went a bit deeper than just following the coastline, I always found myself on the same streets. Other than that I loved it.

lb003g0676
12-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I wish the coastline was more populated by cars and people. And that obstacles like bins and bustops were destrcutable liek they woudl be in real life, or least damagable so when you crashed, they were also damaged.

I hated rammign into a lampost to find myself 50 metres away from it, and it without a scratch.

PennySillin
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah, I really hated driving the larger vehicles because they don't show damage, whats the point?

InsaneDriver06
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Reflections, On the freeways, I want to see 18 wheelers, for using them as "blocks" for the cops behind you. A row of cops in pursuit, cut off a TT and watch it jackknife behind you, blockade off the cops. Great action.

Driv3r and DPL had tractor + trailer rigs, but none actually driving on their own. A freeway isn't really fun without spotting an 18 wheeler somewhere.

More weather effects too. Sunny days are nice, but some fog, rain, snow would be welcome once every five days in the game.

PennySillin
12-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Seeing as the semi's were one of the most asked for vehicles, you'd think they would appear more often. I also thought this was annoying. But I guess it was all just the physics of having many trucks driving around and having a hinge on it, I don't know. Its next generation now, I think we'll see them now.

Assault_machine
12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Let me see what I find the most hated in Driver games. It would have to be the fact that Driver's on-foot and other features (even the driving) have converted themselves to the ways of Rockstar North. Removing Film Director, adding side missions in, and having things like floating stars in to collect, were perhaps the most annoying ideas of Reflections, for DPL. As for the other Driver games, they've always been so full of glitches and the frame rates got to be bad at some point (D1's was the best), especially with D2, whose frame rate annoyed the hell out of me whenever it would slow down.

Even the weapons of D3 can be considered as practically uninteresting, not only because there were only 8 weapons, but they just didn't fit much of the game's missions or other experiences that well enough. And the inclusion of boats didn't pay off. It's far better to include land vehicles than any other vehicle type and to have these only be ones like cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles because they're the best on getting from one street to the other and simply because other vehicle types only make Driver more of a GTA clone. Plus, I don't trust Reflections enough to think that they'll do an amazing job on this.

Also, I hated D2's soundtrack the most. It could be said that Driver and Driver: Parallel Lines's soundtracks were the best. I didn't find D3's soundtrack too impressive either, as the cities were not the very best that could've been chosen and simply because it wasn't all about hollywood car chases.

Edit:
Driver 2 was certainly a game that I enjoyed, which I was able to play for quite some time before the original, but after I've played through the original, I felt that everything in D2 was downgraded. The graphics, frame rate, music, storyline, missions, characters, etc., everything was worse than the original. At today's time, I don't think that I'd feel so inclined to play D2 because it can, for all I care, be considered a bad game, not only because this is not the 5th generation anymore, but it did practically everything worse than the original Driver game. There is simply nothing I like about D2 much at all.

Driv3r too, is not such a good game. There is hardly anything that can be found impressive because of the many glitches, visuals, AI, sound (the soundtrack was terrible), the story, and the on-foot.

Driver Parallel Lines was another game that I wasn't too happy with. I found the on-foot to be pointless (not very many interiors to explore, weak shoot-outs, little moves to use against the enemy, etc.). The soundtrack is great, except for that of the time period 2006. The visuals aren't very impressive at all, being a very similar style to that of GTA and not any much better than D3. Its gameplay dropped many aspects of the Driver franchise which made it even more of a letdown. Of course, to be honest with you, I've not been able to play through the whole game, nor with that of D3, but I do intend to watch videos, read strategy guides, and other things to know more about them. Other than that, being presented to them both was not impressive at all.

InsaneDriver06
12-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I agree that if you're going to include boats, offer more to do for the boat, like a stunt course, narrow waterways to speed through, more ramps, more action. The boats in Driv3r are pretty dull, and aren't even necessary to the main game beyond a few boating missions.

Boats and planes are nice, but really just distractions to the main event.

Assault_machine
12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
If you haven't noticed InsaneDriver06, I've made some edits to my post before that of yours, so I hope that you can respond to that as well. It would make me feel more glad. Please do so, if you can.

InsaneDriver06
12-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Driver 1 is a great game for its time for many reasons, Driving style, FD, great chases, but the missions towards the end were too frustrating to enjoy IMO.

Driver 2's framerate is really the deciding factor. Either the gamer can tolerate the slo-motion, or not. I personally liked the game, but the PS1 didn't offer enough power for Reflections' game engine. The on foot while mostly without purpose, was a nice addition I was waiting for.

Driv3r felt too slow with a top speed of 88 mph, too spread out in terms of vehicles and pedestrians, like a ghost town. The on foot was a bit clumsy while jumping especially and the auto aim was not reliable or necessary. The driving was the best part of the game, as FD didn't deliver the features of D1. Crashing in Driv3r head on is a dull experience when it should be thrilling.

DPL has the best framerate of the series, with speeds up to 140 mph, tons of traffic to weave through, plenty of variety in terrain thanks to central park for some great jumps, and a nice selection of well controlled vehicles and motorcycles. The on foot, while welcome, didn't offer much beyond shooting and car jacking, so it got dull and felt a bit pointless. No climbing, swimming, jumping on top of vehicles, etc. Too little physical interaction with the surroundings. Bring back the speedometer.

One thing that brings me back to the games is the driving style of Reflections. No other game feels quite like Driver, especially veering around corners with the emergency brake. Great physics in the series must return, but be taken to another level of intensity.

One thing I don't like is the lack of an option to remove the HUD/display/meters. Driv3r being the worst with onscreen clutter. I'll know my car broke down when it's smoking and not moving.

Dylan77
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
-I'm sick of the bad on foot A.I.
I mean if the driver is supposed to be a game where you &gt;&gt;DRIVE&lt;&lt; and you implement an on foot scenario at least make it half decent not trying to jump over something or run away from somebody and you hit an object, u look like your trying to take a dump in mid air

-i'm sick of bad police A.I.
put better police a.i. (more challenging to drive away from) and if they go to shoot they actually hit you (makes more challenging)

-if you steal a cop car (or a car in general) and you show no sign of anything wrong and drive accordingly the cops immediately know, like if u take to the streets and run away and steal a car half way across town they know excatly where u are(but i guess that basiclly contredicts what i jst complained about)

*i think the customization is a great idea and the multiplayer aswell and together they work perfectly because if there are other people that u can talk to u can show off ur sweet ride
(INSIDE AND OUT)&lt;- I think there should upgradeable engines and stuff like that because if u have faster engine the easier get aways and kickin' decals

*Aswell customizable characters sort of like Saints Row and Saints Row 2 &gt;BUT&lt; not as in depth for better gameplay

*also female characters because my sis' kept buggin' me why you couldn't play as a girl

That's all that i can think for right now but if i think of more i'll let u know James

*also i'm goin by DRIV3R so don't bite my head off if anything did change in DPL

*I like the idea of swimming under water

*I want there to be a way to shoot while in your car (but not a driveby) like shoot straight foreward because in D3 ur partner was the one that shot while driving, so either u can shoot or u have a mountable gun that u control

*pedestrians commit like crimes murder, theft, and select missions like kidnapping

*The idea of hand to hand combat intrigues me and would be interesting see, some guy tries to steal ur car and u say "I must warn u i know kung fu" he says "yeah, yeah, give me the keys"
u say "don't say i didn't warn u" and then u beat the C.R.A.P. out of him (told'ya so)

* you should be able to enter buildings

InsaneDriver06
12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dylan77:
-I'm sick of the bad on foot A.I.
I mean if the driver is supposed to be a game where you &gt;&gt;DRIVE&lt;&lt; and you implement an on foot scenario at least make it half decent not trying to jump over something or run away from somebody and you hit an object, u look like your trying to take a dump in mid air
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif lol, They definitely improved on the character animations in DPL, compared to Driv3r's clumsy Tanner jumps.

driver_madness
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
well in driver: parallel lines we didn't get to jump at all.

They should have made it so tanner couldn't jump then nobody could have complained.

I still would say the in-game animations where better in driver: parallel lines.

InsaneDriver06
12-17-2007, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by driver_madness:
well in driver: parallel lines we didn't get to jump at all.

They should have made it so tanner couldn't jump then nobody could have complained.

I still would say the in-game animations where better in driver: parallel lines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, DPL, no jumping. Not much fun since they're including on foot, but stripped it of almost all abilities but run, walk, squat, car jack, attack and shoot.

driver_madness
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Well at least they included on foot.
I couldn't see the driver series without on-foot again but if they keep it limited, I'll be happy.
And for jumping, I don't really care, it's the driving I like after all. But I like to stroll around find(jack) another car and blow up some vehicles. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

InsaneDriver06
12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm a bit tired of the dull on foot gameplay in the Driver series. Crank it up by bringing us right there over the shoulder of Tanner(RE4 and FPS view), and offer some great on foot chases that can spring into action whenever you spot a crook on the street in free roam and during some parts of missions when not driving/riding.

PennySillin
12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I think one of the key factors sucking the life out of Driver was Atari. At least I'm praying it was. Although its hard to believe someone who doesn't do any of the programming or the hard work could effect the game so much, it is quite possible

Atari funded Reflections, so in exchange for said funds, Reflections has to make the game Atari wants, not what they want. Atari wants a game that sells, because they're going broke, what was selling big that Driver is similar to? And I'm almost certain nobody at Atari cares that much for games anyway, look at their catalogue.

I feel so much better with Reflections now at Ubisoft, I think we'll finally see the game we've been waiting for since 1999.

And although I'd hate to say it, maybe Reflections is better off doing whatever they want to do, and not listening to us. I know after D2 came out, I suggested things I wanted in D3 and DPL, and when I saw them in action in the game, realized they weren't that great.

No, don't turn a deaf ear to the fans, thats not the right answer either. Just take our suggestions with a grain of sand, you guys know how to make games, so you should know what works best for yours. If something we want doesn't seem right, you guys obviously know better. Good luck!

driver_madness
12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.drivermadness.net/main/portal.php?topic_id=122
Article from Driver Madness - Sat 12 Aug, 2006

I'm pretty happy that Atrai sold off the Driver Series to a better publisher. There is one QUOTE particular which is gonna want me to never buy an Atari game again.

Yesterday Atari annoucned
"that the Driv3r franchise was nothing more than "a half-baked product that was pushed out the door for revenue reasons."

After seeing that quoted I was quite angry, DRIV3R could have been much more of a game if atari never forced the reflections team to throw DRIV3R out the door before it's even completed.

I think to myself, how much better would/could have DRIV3R been if the Reflections Team even got enough time to get some time to beta test the game. If they got some time to fix the game up they mostble would have been able to remove most of the glitchs which we noticed in the game which annoyed us all.

Think about it, with extra time DRIV3R could have been one of the best DRIVING games around.

Please feel free to leave any comments/posts about this.

PennySillin
12-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Thats the good thing about Ubisoft, look at their catalogue of games, they got some good ones in there, which also proves they're not banking on Driver 4's success to help save the company. They'll give Reflections the time they need I think.

If reflections needs help with animations or fps controls, they can bring in some people from Assassins Creed or Timesplitters. As for driving, Reflections has got that down. If anything Reflections will help Ubisofts other games with that.

Looking at D3, I could see where they were trying to go with it, and it would've been an awesome game. DPL, I hardly count that as a sequel, thats something Atari forced them to do in a hurry and as simple as possible to make some extra money off the engine they spent so long building.

driver_madness
12-18-2007, 07:42 AM
DPL never used D3 engine if that's what your trying to say, there entirely different engines.

I'd say dpl ended up a better final product but didn't have the enthusiasm or emotion put into it as much as driv3r. The only thing making driv3r look bad it's is glitches which where never fixed.

Driver 3 had everything, it even had the run the gauntlet 'movie', it had the media (press) all over it wanting more and more.
Driver 2 also had the team--something boat promotion thing, but didn't go down as well with the media.

Driver: Parallel Lines felt like nothing in the media as much as driv3r.

driv3r was ment to be more than it was.
and I'm very upset about that. I liked everything until it was released.

When it was released I still enjoyed it, I played it and played it but I also think to myself 'it could have been better'.

InsaneDriver06
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I just got done comparing Driv3r to DPL, and I do like Driv3r's style of driving/scenery/crashes better, though there's plenty of room for improvement as said.

Ubisoft will likely give Reflections plenty of tools to make Driver the best game in the series.

driver_madness
12-18-2007, 11:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
More ramps and jumps!!! Coasting through the air, engine roaring till the wheels hit the ground before hitting the next stunt ramp. That's one thing I always look forward to while playing a Driver game. The problem is, there's not enough opportunities in a flat-land like Miami. Nice offered some great jumps, but even that could use a lot more. DPL did a good job with jumps, but could still use more. I'd like to see more leaps like at the first garage, jumping across the water canyon.

More ramps, jumps, cliffs, stunt opportunities spread throughout the terrain will increase the fun factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when I want to cause chaos I turn on the nitrous cheat, damage cheat and weapon cheat. I go super fast doing jumps exploding cars, but the fun is ruined when I roll over and need to walk a long way away to get a vehicle.

So I'm sick of rolling over in a vehicle.

PennySillin
12-19-2007, 07:33 AM
How about a cheat to flip your car? I remember a gameshark cheat for the original (or maybe D2) that would drop your car from 50 feet in the air, sometimes you landed on your wheels, sometimes not, just keep doing it before the game cuts you off. I guess it was D1 then.

driver_madness
12-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Well maybe not 50feet in the air :S
I think it would work best if the cheat was activated, it would be impossible to roll your car over. The game will try it's best to predict the future when airborne and makes sure the car lands on four wheels rather than just rolling over and automatically back on it's wheels again.

But either way word work.

InsaneDriver06
12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
when I want to cause chaos I turn on the nitrous cheat, damage cheat and weapon cheat. I go super fast doing jumps exploding cars, but the fun is ruined when I roll over and need to walk a long way away to get a vehicle.

So I'm sick of rolling over in a vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya. In Driver 1 especially, hitting a ramp was a liability, as you could never be sure you just ended the chase or not. Even turning too quickly and hitting a wall sideways could end the chase. Solution? Add a physic that will land the car on all fours if on its side, rather than flipping onto the hood. The odds of 3 sides to 1 roof side equal less chance of an upside down car after a ramp.

JacksonL2007
12-20-2007, 12:02 PM

So I'm sick of rolling over in a vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya. In Driver 1 especially, hitting a ramp was a liability, as you could never be sure you just ended the chase or not. Even turning too quickly and hitting a wall sideways could end the chase. Solution? Add a physic that will land the car on all fours if on its side, rather than flipping onto the hood. The odds of 3 sides to 1 roof side equal less chance of an upside down car after a ramp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think rolling the car is realistic like in James Bond the new one where he flipps the vanquish that was kl

driver_madness
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
In driv3r the cars seem to roll way to fast and way to much.

They should decrease the amount of time they spin while in mid air. I don't mind it spinning to much but in driv3r spins way to fast/much.

InsaneDriver06
12-20-2007, 08:10 PM
In driv3r the cars seem to roll way to fast and way to much.

They should decrease the amount of time they spin while in mid air. I don't mind it spinning to much but in driv3r spins way to fast/much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, like they're in a spin cycle. The weight gets lost for them to spin so fast. A little slower would lose some of the cheese effect from Driv3r's spins, as fun as they are to see.

But that brings up a point about exaggeration to the realism during crashes. I'd like enough exaggeration to make it exciting unlike in most of DPL's car to car crashes, which was just a thud, bump and the car was mostly intact unless you hit a ramp.

Something like Pennysillin' mentioned, about ramping off a car in a head on crash would be exactly the kind of exaggeration the Driver series could use: Hollywood chase style.

Assault_machine
12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Driver 1 is a great game for its time for many reasons, Driving style, FD, great chases, but the missions towards the end were too frustrating to enjoy IMO.

Driver 2's framerate is really the deciding factor. Either the gamer can tolerate the slo-motion, or not. I personally liked the game, but the PS1 didn't offer enough power for Reflections' game engine. The on foot while mostly without purpose, was a nice addition I was waiting for.

Driv3r felt too slow with a top speed of 88 mph, too spread out in terms of vehicles and pedestrians, like a ghost town. The on foot was a bit clumsy while jumping especially and the auto aim was not reliable or necessary. The driving was the best part of the game, as FD didn't deliver the features of D1. Crashing in Driv3r head on is a dull experience when it should be thrilling.

DPL has the best framerate of the series, with speeds up to 140 mph, tons of traffic to weave through, plenty of variety in terrain thanks to central park for some great jumps, and a nice selection of well controlled vehicles and motorcycles. The on foot, while welcome, didn't offer much beyond shooting and car jacking, so it got dull and felt a bit pointless. No climbing, swimming, jumping on top of vehicles, etc. Too little physical interaction with the surroundings. Bring back the speedometer.

One thing that brings me back to the games is the driving style of Reflections. No other game feels quite like Driver, especially veering around corners with the emergency brake. Great physics in the series must return, but be taken to another level of intensity.

One thing I don't like is the lack of an option to remove the HUD/display/meters. Driv3r being the worst with onscreen clutter. I'll know my car broke down when it's smoking and not moving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About Driver: Parallel Lines, I've found that it hasn't been the fastest game in terms of speed. Of course, this a good achievement, when seeing that Reflections managed to do well with the framerate and of being able to push the speed up all the way to 140 MPH or maybe even closer to 200 MPH. However, games like the Need For Speed games can allow you to go even faster. For instance, my cousin made clear that with a Lamborghini Murchielago, in NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, you can go as high as 300 MPH. Therefore, it will still be a while before we'll ever see a majority of all games with vehicles including speeds that go as far as those of reality.

Another point that I'd like to make is that the Driver franchise, just like other franchises, such as the Armored Core series, Dynasty Warriors series, and Tenchu series, hasn't implemented so many new features for its games, nor did it bring it very far in terms of the quality. This is definitely something that is keeping such a franchise like this from going further. I'd say that Reflections will really need to polish many aspects of the game and make it high in quality while also adding a ton of new features (considering that the PS3 & Xbox 360 will be able to hold a lot of power), in order to make there be both, awesome hollywood-styled car chases, and some very impressive on-foot abilities as well.

Here is a list, based on the Driver franchise, of what new features have been added throughout each game, in order, from the very first one, to the very last one made (just recently):

Driver: You Are The Wheelman

- Film Director Mode
- Undercover Mode
- Minigames (pursuit, getaway, trailblazer, checkpoint, and carnage)
- Cheats (where you can go to activate any cheats)
- Take-A-Ride Mode
- Driving vehicles, particularly muscle cars (a taxi and some other fast vehicles, like a sedan look-alike were included as driveable too, but in the missions, for the most part)
- Straight roads
- Cities include Miami, San Francisco, LA, and New York City
- realistic damage and physics for vehicles
- weather effects (which also affect your vehicle)
- day & night time
- pre-rendered cutscenes (w/inclusion of mild language, violence, etc.)
- Training mode

Driver 2: The Wheelman Is Back
- On-foot abilities: get out of a car, go steal another vehicle, activate switches, open/close garages, explore to find secret vehicles & cheats (and a secret track), and some on-foot missions in Undercover mode
- Cities include Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas, and Rio
- Curved roads are now available
- Options (now is where you can load the game, activate any cheats, etc.)
- More variety in the missions (tailing is one of the new ideas present in Undercover mode)
- new minigames (cops & robbers being one of them)
- multiplayer mode
- more vehicles to drive (vans, buses, and trucks are perhaps the newest to the roster of vehicles)

Driv3r
- involves the use of new on-foot abilities, including swimming, rolling, climbing ladders, opening doors, and using firearms
- 8 weapons are available in the game (Heckler & Koch USP Pistol magazine-17, Beretta 92 Pistol magazine-10, Beretta 92 Pistol(silenced) magazine-10, Heckler & Koch MP5 SMG magazine-30, Franchi SPAS 12 12 gauge shotgun shells-8,
Micro Uzi SMG magazine-32, Mac 11 SMG magazine-60,M16 Assault Rifle magazine-60, and an M79 Grenade Launcher grenades-1)
- vehicles' models and environments look quite realistic (discluding when glitches disrupt the gameplay)
- an ability to play as Tobias Jones in one of the Undercover missions
- new cities including Istanbul and Nice (Miami was already found in Driver)
- Boats and motorbikes are both driveable
- Killing Timmy Vercellis unlocks some new features for the game
- Vehicles now can actually explode (unlike in the previous Driver games, which only saw wrecks with vehicles)
- The reverse gear in cars makes the characteristic whine
- Bullet holes appear on car bodies when shot
- Vehicles only take significant damage when the engine is hit
- Rims of blown tires screech against the curb
- Headlights and tailights can be shot out
- Doors, trunklids, hoods, and windows can come off cars after taking damage or accelerating to high speed
- The character is injured in vehicle accidents, which can result in death
- The player can be shot through car windows when driving
- Features a licensed soundtrack of artists
- A strange things with the cars, is that in Miami, all the vehicles are from the 1970's and past. In Nice the cars are of newer models and the traffic is more like present time. And in Istanbul the cars are of a 1950's and 1960's setting.
- Offers some narration in the Undercover mode.

Driver: Vegas
- a 2-D world

Driver: Parallel Lines
- no main menu, meaning an entirely open-world environment (the pause menu is where many things can be choosen)
- minigames can be accessed from the in-game world.
- visible blood
- a money system
- fully modifiable vehicles
- environment destruction (lamp posts can be run over and fire hydrants can break)
- a new felony system (felony that has the player chased, after having his presence be seen on foot or when trying to switch to another vehicle or, such a felony that only identifies the player in a vehicle and will not remember him, if he abandons the vehicle after a police chase has died out)
- a cinematic mode, which is a slow-motion "Thrill Camera" has replaced the Film Director mode of previous Driver games
- 1978 and 2006 as the time periods in the game, which offer different settings and technology
- the role of being a gangster
- crouching is now a part of the on-foot
- cheats can be unlocked through simply driving in the game for a specific amount of miles
- helicopters are now able to go after you, and SWAT vehicles will go after you as well
- nitros is available to any vehicle in the game

Driver 76
- a multiplayer mode, with racing for Pink Slips in games like Street Racing
- downloadable content

Driver: LA Undercover
- 3-D world for a mobile game

As you can see, there haven't been many new features added to each of the Driver games that become released, one after another. Therefore, in order to make the franchise feel even more like a non-linear experience, with lots of freedom, there will need to be a lot more features implemented. The main menu and many other aspects of the majority of the Driver games makes them feel very linear in their approaches, unlike DPL, which got rid of the main menu, but still didn't offer enough in the on-foot to make the freedom feel great.

InsaneDriver06
12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
For the fastest racing game, just play Midnight Club 3, an open city racing game with great customization. MCLA looks to improve with a day/night cycle, more camera views, one large city to explore, and more.

Yeah, more features will be nice, but only if they compliment the whole "You are the Wheelman" theme. Like maybe a feature to use your windows, windshield wipers, interior vehicle view, off-road driving, seriously improved on-foot abilities/vehicle interaction, etc.

Assault_machine
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
The things which make me feel sick the most of the Driver franchise are:

Making and Breaking Promises

Reflections made a great number of promises (Driv3r will allow you to drive any vehicle that is seen in the game; Driv3r will have dogs chasing you; Driv3r will have people sitting around at coffeeshops, talking and drinking coffee, etc.; Driver Parallel Lines was called the way back to the roots of the Driver franchise when it went further away from it, only sticking to the driving portion, which has always been focused on the most)

Having Pre-rendered Cut Scenes, Which Limits Gameplay

These kinds of cut scenes cost a great deal of money, especially if you're trying to make them as life-like as possible. Reflections spend most of its money on the cut scenes, worrying and not having enough confidence in their own games that they'll do good without any high quality cut scenes. This was a big mistake as it really has limited the amount of things that Reflections could ever have gotten done with any of their Driver games. Imagine what it'd be like if D2, D3, and DPL all had real-time cut scenes (those which have the graphics as experiencing within the gameplay). GTA 2 had pre-rendered cut scenes too, but when all the other GTA games came out, most particularly, the 6th generation ones (GTA III, GTA: VC, GTA: SA), they used real-time cut scenes and this perhaps helped leave a lot of room open for improving on the overall games. Therefore, please, Reflections, no matter how much you love pre-rendered cut scenes, you need to realize that the players' interactions, meaning what they're able to control, rather than watch, is far more important, so do not ever go towards using pre-rendered cut scenes ever again, especially now that graphics can be very much accepted of the Xbox 360 & PS3, if they are pushed further. Also, to convince you more, Reflections, Driver 2 didn't do so well as a game, not as much as D1, and yet it required two discs, which is because so much storage was used for the cut scenes, when it could've been used more for the gameplay and look what went wrong. D2 certainly didn't improve over D1's driving and had some interesting on-foot elements for a 3-D game, but it wasn't the best around and even with the 2-D GTA games, they still had better on-foot than that of D2. The point is that the on-foot could've been worked better on, as well as the other features, had Reflections not used so much storage space for two discs, just for pre-rendered cut scenes.

Taking A Break From The Driver Franchise

Don't ever stray from your Driver franchise, Reflections, which you did when Driv3r was in development and was promised to come out in 2002, but Stuntman broke that promise and really destroyed D3 at what it could've been. Had you guys used the time from right after D2, to complete D3, it may have ended up with a lot more features and more polished gameplay as well as little or no glitches at all, but that didn't happen.

No High Quality & Innovation

Put a greater focus on the storyline, characters, and on-foot, more than before, and innovate on these different aspects: Instead of always just taking inspirations from movies that had to do with hollywood-styled car chases, Reflections really should try to get serious and more hardworking than ever, trying to get their work to be as original and as high quality as possible. Of course, some things can be references to movies, but lets not have too much of that. And on-foot should be around while also being taken to greater heights, with many improvements over what the GTA formula has been for it and tweaking it to Reflections' own likings. Also, expand the driving experience to more than just undercover missions and hollywood-styled car chases, but let it extend to that of other driving careers as well, particularly the popular ones, which include street racing, circuit racing, off-road racing, stuntman, destruction derby driver, etc.

InsaneDriver06
12-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Interesting points AssaultMachine1. Well written.

On Driv3r, I rewatched "The Making of Driv3r", hosted by Michael Madsen, and realized the Reflections team may have spent too much time researching and rendering the 3 cities more than the rest of the game.

-Over 1,000 miles walked for the purpose of photo documentation.
-Accurate cities based on streets and photos.
-Goal was to create a 'living, breathing city'.

Walking 1000 miles for photos in 3 cities takes a lot of time I'd imagine. Time that could have been put towards making a stronger game, which ends up as more important than having an accurate, well rendered city. Not to say Driv3r didn't have ANY strong points. The cars and damage were impressive. Some of the interiors had some nice details, like the shopping malls in Miami, Nice and Turkey for example.

My point is, instead of spending too much time creating accurate cities down to every road, take some liberties in accuracy for the sake of time and game design in other areas, such as road variety.

One of my biggest complaints with the Driver series. Too many boring, flat, straight roads, which drain the fun. One recommendation, more roads like the ones in Test Drive Unlimited.

Another complaint, the cars tend to float too much when they hit a bump in Driv3r, making recovery to avoid a wall very difficult. Less float.

Driverman2006
12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I want 100% map accuracy. In fact, I find that easier to make than inaccurate maps. It's like drawing a picture of something. It's easier to trace over a photo of what you want to draw line-by-line, rather than free-hand drawing it. And also, if the cities were 100% accurate, you'd have SO many alternate routes to take. Now that's fun!

InsaneDriver06
12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Driverman2006
I want 100% map accuracy. In fact, I find that easier to make than inaccurate maps. It's like drawing a picture of something. It's easier to trace over a photo of what you want to draw line-by-line, rather than free-hand drawing it. And also, if the cities were 100% accurate, you'd have SO many alternate routes to take. Now that's fun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walking 1000 miles through three cities to take thousands of photos of buildings, streets and landmarks isn't as easy as tracing a flat map, or creating an original city for that matter.

It can look like the real city, but the streets should be exciting in most areas, not dull, flat, straight and repetitive. The most fun I had on Driver 1's Miami map? Hitting those bridge ramps, and they likely weren't built accurate to the real thing compared to the DULL Driv3r Miami map and bridges.

Most cities are known for squared off streets, creating block after block of dull paths to travel. Unless they ratchet up the excitement of the streets, I don't see any advantage to having 100% accurate streets, compared to invented streets based on the real thing, but are more varied in terms of hills, bumps, twists and turns for a higher fun factor. Most of the streets in the Driver series are kind of dull, compared to a game like TDU.

If real cities in games are so great and important to the success of the series, why did Driver 2 get a 6/10 in PSM, Driv3r get a 4/10 in PSM, and DPL get a 6/10 in PSM (not that I value PSM's reviews much anyway)? The point? An accurate city doesn't equal a fun game. It makes a good practice map for when you visit the actual city maybe, but not necessarily fun to drive through the repetitive blocks of accurate city streets in most parts.

It takes more time to recreate something down to every last detail than it does to make something original based on it. Just my opinion...

Driverman2006
12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Accurate cities not fun?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I could never resist 100% accuracy. I see a 100% accurate city as an Edward Hopper painting (meaning it looks very realistic and makes sense). I see an innaccurate city as a Picaso painting (meaning it doesn't look realistic and doesn't have a point).

Here's what they should do. They should make the cities 100% accurate, but include a $#!+ load of jobs/side jobs (or career spawn points) in the city. Driv3r's cities were very map accurate, but the dumb front-end menu f**ked things up and made it not fun to play, same with Driver 2. 100% map accuracy means more roads!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif More alternate routes to take!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And more fun!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif That's the way I see it.

Assault_machine
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, either it is that the accuracy of a city makes it feel too boring or the developer is not pouring enough good elements into building the landmarks, interiors, and objects as well as people, are one of two ways that Reflections must have been doing some wrong with. I'd have to say that is more along the side of trying to make a city as accurate as possible. If a city contains 100% accuracy and yet doesn't have enough interiors and other things to interact with, there's no doubt that the city will end up boring. Therefore, I'd much rather have a great amount of interaction design going into a city for a Driver game, where we can be able to drive almost, if not, everywhere; where we can walk to any particular place of interest; where we can have something else to do rather than just walk, drive, and shoot around in the game, which were perhaps the only good things to find for ourselves to do in D3 & DPL.

One of the ways in pushing the on-foot forward is to first take a look at the map of the city (or cities) in a game and think about what would be fun to add. Also, make the abilities seem very appropriate and allow for them to work anywhere on, in the game. I'd have to say that an ability to climb ladders, which was seen in D3, was not pushed to a good extent, as there were too few ladders in the whole game to enjoy using this feature, so this is one of the ways that it became a pointless feature. This is what Reflections must make sure to avoid.

Knowing that Reflections wants to make the freedom available to players as good as possible, we need to have a lot of moments in time that we can use different elements. For instance, destruction can be considered one of the things that we should be able to cause, not only to the vehicles, small objects, and people, but even to that of the environments. We should be able to drive our vehicles through buildings, if tried hard enough. When smashing into a light post, tree, or anything else standing, if done with little speed, it should damage our vehicles more, but also cause some damage to the object as well. However, if we use a great amount of speed, it should make the tall object fall over or bend over, and in the process, it should also cause a lot of damage to a vehicle. The environment and everything else within it should be as destructible as possible. After all, Reflections loves to make realism in its games and has made that clear by working to bring forth the best details, physics, explosions, and damage of its own, throughout each of its Driver games. Maybe the buildings can be rebuilt over time (mostly after leaving a location) and shouldn't be completely destructible, as that would be too much for the game, but it should be destructible at more than 50%, as of my own opinion. And, a flaw that must be fixed, which was seen in D3 & DPL as well as any other racing or driving game is that there is no smoke and fire when a vehicle is caught in an explosion, which makes it far less realistic, so the destruction (explosions) must definitely be made more realistic. Interacting with the world in this way, as one of the many other ways, can be a very different approach to that of GTA and the other free-roam games and can very much please the Driver fans as well as anyone else. I certainly hope that this will be one of the most important and implemented ideas for the next Driver game.

PennySillin
12-31-2007, 06:35 AM
A made up city would be way better, that way they don't spend time researching the cities, instead they make them up from scratch, the city is then designed to be fun to race through, rather than most cities which are made for slow driving and often traffic jams.

Then we also get the diversity in the areas we want. More freedom for the design teams means a much more fun city to play in.

Driverman2006
12-31-2007, 09:00 AM
A made up city would be way better, that way they don't spend time researching the cities, instead they make them up from scratch, the city is then designed to be fun to race through, rather than most cities which are made for slow driving and often traffic jams.

Then we also get the diversity in the areas we want. More freedom for the design teams means a much more fun city to play in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fake cities suck. I WILL NOT buy the next Driver game if it has fake cities. There, I made my point Ubisoft-Reflections. Plus, they won't do fake cities anyway. The Driver series has always been known for real cities.

Assault_machine
12-31-2007, 05:11 PM
If a city is to be made fictional, it will have to be a very good idea. Of course, it is possible that this can help a lot towards offering a driving experience that goes even deeper. However, I don't know if many people would be so pleased by this idea. And if it is to be a fictional city, another which is just based off of the very famous cities in the U.S., which have already been used over and over again (Miami, NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc.), it really isn't such a good idea at all. Only should a fictional city be made if it is to focus on some kind of an entirely new city (maybe not even in resemblance to any city that we know of) or if it is to go towards focusing on those cities that have not been used before. For instance, I'd love to see a city similar to that of Colorado Springs, which offers mountain roads and all kinds of other terrain that is to please gamers and help head the Driver franchise into a new direction.

It is also apparent that we can see a real city, but not one that is focused too much on becoming as accurate as possible, such that it, once again, affects most of the game and ends up making it a bad one. It's like saying that we want something of a reference or a painting, but video games' purposes are more than just to have us see things. We are given a specific amount of freedom to either follow the storyline or go do whatever else we can interact with, for a free-roaming game. I don't want games to try too hard at being realistic and not be able to present us any fun at all. What is the fun of simply gazing at the city for its realistic landscape and nothing more? This is what Driv3r ended up being, merely after you finished the game 100% (unlocking everything and beating the missions), having the requirement of making your own fun because Reflections forgot to include that part.

Driverman2006
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
But we can't have fake cities. The back cover of Driver 1 proves that point by saying "Real cities that include New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Miami". Driver 1 had a good selection of cities. I hope they can all make a comeback (all 4) and they will be much more accurate and fun than ever!

InsaneDriver06
12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
I know accurate, real cities is something Driverman2006 has been pushing for a long time now. One spot of good news is, Test Drive Unlimited is based on real life accurate maps of Hawaii's Oahu, an 1800 square mile island of back roads, freeways, twisting rural mountain roads, tunnels, towns, supermarkets, cities, forests, deserts and more. It's based on the real thing, and I'd have to say it's damn impressive for a map with awesome road variety. Every road you can almost think of is covered in that game in terms of bumps, twists, straight-aways and turns.

I'm for fictional cities with destruction damage to buildings and more, though if Reflections can pick a city with a huge surrounding that offered hundreds of miles of winding road opportunities, I'd be satisfied.

Play TDU for the 360, you'll see what I'm referring to by great selection of roads to keep things fun.

Assault_machine
01-01-2008, 02:55 PM

I have and currently am studying Media,a nd I promise, any other way wouldn't be as good. Main point is it gives the game identity, which it needs to be involving and interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What I propose for the music in any future Driver games is that it needs both music that has people singing, and even some music that is much like in D1. Why? I think that a similar approach in music that offers no singing would fit the car chases perfectly, especially, if, as you say, it was to be something close to the music found in Bullitt, the movie. This kind of music would work best for when doing any missions and when you either are dealing with criminals or the law enforcement. As for the other kinds of music, much like that of the very popular artists, we can have that to listen to when not on any mission and as we're just fooling around in the game, either just exploring or experimenting in it. These popular songs would be put on radio stations and there'd even be some pretty good dialogue going on the radio stations as well. If we can have both of the kinds of music, it would really make sure to keep as much of the game as entertaining as possible. And as you said, the music that is not very popular and involves no singing was boring to listen to, after a while, in TAR mode, so it should only be present in missions while the popular music can be listened to at any other time (inside of a vehicle).

I know accurate, real cities is something Driverman2006 has been pushing for a long time now. One spot of good news is, Test Drive Unlimited is based on real life accurate maps of Hawaii's Oahu, an 1800 square mile island of back roads, freeways, twisting rural mountain roads, tunnels, towns, supermarkets, cities, forests, deserts and more. It's based on the real thing, and I'd have to say it's damn impressive for a map with awesome road variety. Every road you can almost think of is covered in that game in terms of bumps, twists, straight-aways and turns.

I'm for fictional cities with destruction damage to buildings and more, though if Reflections can pick a city with a huge surrounding that offered hundreds of miles of winding road opportunities, I'd be satisfied.

Play TDU for the 360, you'll see what I'm referring to by great selection of roads to keep things fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have a good point there, InsaneDriver06. Real cities still can be made very well. However, I don't display any interest in seeing developers only try to improve more over the same cities that we've been seeing in the past, having been done with free-roam games. It is very boring to me on having New York, Miami, LA, San Francisco, or even a city like Chicago (yes, you heard me right). These cities were included in many games in the past and I just want some fresh new cities.

Why can't you say that we need any other American cities, Driverman2006? I think that I have made my point before that a city like that of Colorado Springs would be a very nice one, as it has all kinds of terrain and would just give a fresh new approach, considering that its not another very crowded city, only to be seen with tall skyscrapers and just tons of vehicles and other buildings to be around. I want something else that is more pleasant. A good, great, or excellent storyline doesn't have to be presented in a popular city or even in any city that is highly populated with skyscrapers and other types of buildings. It'd be a lot more fascinating if we'd have forests, mountains, deserts, and other terrain in a Driver game, which I'd consider Colorado Springs to be among one of the best selections on having these kinds of terrains. I'm too tired with the skyscrapers, especially due to the fact that I've been living in such a city like that. Sometimes, it's much better to look to a new approach or direction and that is what I'm hoping for with Reflections work on the next Driver game.

PennySillin
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Real maps are alright, but creativity is better. They definately should make up the cities, it would work out better. And really, how many of the cities have you been to that are featured in Driver games? New York? So you wouldn't really know the difference anyway. Unless someone from that city gets on and says a bench is missing from the park, and all of a sudden you'd hate the game just because the city isn't modeled 100%

Driverman2006
01-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh yes, Colorado sounds cool! Colorado Springs and Denver sound cool I guess (for Driver). I've never been there before. I think some place in Colorado would be cool in the next Driver game since it has snow-capped mountains, cold winters, high elevations, etc. I'm just saying that based on the things I've seen about Colorado such as South Park and pictures of the real Colorado.

InsaneDriver06
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
To make a point, making a game 100% accurate is really impossible with today's technology. In the future they can send out a scanner probe robot to analyze every last detail and digitize it into a 3D game engine for a perfect replication of an actual city.

I do feel it's long overdue that Driver includes forests, country, mountain, cliffs, swamps, and hillside roads to offer the best stunt driving possible. Flat city roads are about as dull as it gets in all honesty. Kind of like driving down a runway. Good for top speed, that's about it.

JacksonL2007
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I believe i suggested a made up city months ago, Its a good idea and ill tell u why.

* Wont be boring because each bit is designed to make more better gameplay
* A lot of diversity
* If the story goes for a undercover cop again then it will make it more mysterious and interesting. Tanner was a bit boring and TK was just TK. A mysterious character would be cool.
* MORE THINGS TO DO

PennySillin
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Ah yes, snow, I forgot about that. In fact, it snowed yesterday, something that doesn't happen much around here.

In the made up city in the next game, there should be a mountain where it snows a lot and the ground is covered in snow and ice. On the mountainside would be a small town, steep roads, winding roads on cliffs edges. It would be cool.

Assault_machine
01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Of course 100% accuracy for a real city in a video game would not be realistic. There are certain things that we must realize. One thing is that realism in video games will never move as close to that of reality. And the same goes for every other mass media (i.e. TV, movies, comics, manga, etc.). It's not possible because of these reasons:

1) There is no one in this world smart enough to be able to do that nor a team of members smart enough either

2) Video games should never feel as realistic as that of reality because it would bring a lot of boredom

3) Video games should find various other ways besides just implementing realism to make an improvement over any other game in that very same genre

I really don't mind whether we see a real or fictional city in the next Driver game. As long as the city can be very fun to explore and as long as it feels like a playground for players to just go in and have a lot to do, without getting bored very soon, I'll very much appreciate the work of Reflections'. Therefore, regardless whether the city will be fake or real, we need certain elements that are not realistic, such as ramps scattered throughout the city, maybe some fictional places to visit (if not any real ones can be accepted), fictional vehicles (based on real ones, or real ones and yet still allow for realistic damage, if Reflections can do the same as GT5, which will offer real vehicles and real damage), and so much else. Although Reflections has worked on real cities in all of the Driver franchise, it wouldn't hurt to start off fresh, just as they did with the many elements and the approach of DPL. In the end, they either need the most fun a real city could ever be to drive in or walk around in (think Midnight Club's ramps and other fictional elements scattered throughout the real cities or even the GTA games' interiors), or the city can be a fictional, but still a very realized and very much alive city while also offering plenty of ways for the player to go about in the city. If this can be reached as the conclusion, it doesn't matter what happens from then and on, except, of course, that the driving and on foot elements must be pushed even further, where freedom will be much appreciated for such a next generation free-roam game.

Also, I think that I'm sick of the fact that on-foot elements have been too limited in the Driver franchise, which is probably one of the reasons why the games are pretty repetitive (except the original Driver game) in terms of freedom and replay value. The idea of offering 10% on-foot or less will only make the experience get boring very soon. Quite frankly, I don't believe that D2, D3, nor DPL had even 10% of on-foot featured. I'd say that the driving needs to offer a lot, but the on-foot must do the same. It should be along the lines of GTA's offering of a lot of on-foot and driving, but despite that, we may need some features left out or just way more realism and fine tuned gameplay than that of GTA IV to show that Driver can do well as a game, fitting rightfully into the Free-roam genre. Of course, there will need to be a lot of new additions of gameplay and that will kind of go against the title that the game has, which is "Driver," but we will be impressed at its scale of freedom and many other things as well. The on-foot doesn't have to be a percentage as much as 50%, making the driving portion 50% as well, but it needs to be 10% or higher. This doesn't mean that Reflections can get lazy if they want and give us hardly any on-foot in comparison to all the other free-roam games. If Driver continues to have the least amount of on-foot, it'll be at the bottom of the free-roam sub-genre or the Action-Adventure genre. Otherwise, there really is no point in having any on foot features at all.

InsaneDriver06
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
If you make great on foot features, they still should be restricted to certain missions during the main storyline, otherwise, we'll be playing an action(50%)/driving(50%) game hybrid, not a driving hollywood chase game, which is what the series can't forget, to stay true to the series roots, otherwise, start a new game franchise with a different title.

Stretching out and not hitting a mark with on foot was a mistake, but offering too few on foot options is also a problem, as the on foot becomes really dull. Walk, run, shoot, there needs to be climbing, rolling, leaping, sliding, grabbing onto vehicles, vehicle related stunts, over the shoulder view RE4 style, incredible FPS gameplay, etc. And none of the clumsy animations of Driv3r, but more in tune with the fluidity of Assassin's Creed.

And why make all that for on foot if it's only in 10% of the missions? Good question. I can't imagine they would limit it to 10% if it's done.

highwire
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Im sick of the fact that in D:PL you cant hit a car at full speed and have the driver die inside the car like in Driv3r. In all of em' im sick of the lame cars and graphix. Dont like the weapon selection either.

PennySillin
01-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Why restrict the on foot in missions? They shouldn't think of the percentage, they should write the story and missions, and depending on how the story is playing out, make an on foot part or chase part, or anything else they might think of.

I know when I'm playing a game, I don't stop to think "how much percent of my time was spent running and gunning?" thats just ******ed. Make the driving fun, and make the on foot fun, even when nothing is going on.

It should be fun to crash a car into a brick wall. It should be more fun to crash a bus or semi into said wall. It should be fun to reduce a house to a pile of timber and dust, by bullets, rockets, vehicle, etc. But somehow its not. That can be changed, exaggerate if necesary.

JacksonL2007
01-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I want to see cars really get crushed and wrecked like they got hit by a train in real life. Bceause a bumper falling off is not very realistic. I want to see the car get mangled and not even drivable, You should get stuck inside the car and have to what until the firemen and ambulance team arrive to get u out (should not be long) and if they dont arrive in time the car should blow up realisticly not like in driver 3. Watch that scene in the departed thats realistic.

PennySillin
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
No, I don't want to wait for anyone to let me out of the car, no matter how short of a wait it is. The game must go on.

Extremely compacted cars, yes
Stuck in car, no thanks

Assault_machine
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree with the both of you, concerning the on-foot restrictions, PennySillin and InsaneDriver06. It certainly needs to be pushed forward, but it shouldn't necessarily be restricted in the missions, nor should it be a very small number. The one thing that matters is that the missions are laid out in as much of an original fashion as possible, such that they move the story forward really well. Maybe, one day, Reflections can work on a Driver game (sometime after this next one) which will offer around 40% on-foot, making 50% of the game driving and it'll push the whole experience as far as it needs to be. Then, sometime afterwards, maybe Reflections can move in a whole new direction within the Action/Adventure genre, as well as the free-roam sub-genre, but by offering something aside from the crime setting, or something still with the same setting, but to take it where it hasn't gone before.

The previous paragraph has now given me an idea. Maybe I should make a topic that lays out everything about the crime-based games that have been released and are soon coming (GTA IV, Mafia 2, Saint's Row 2, etc.) and look at what they've done as well as what hasn't been done yet. Other than that, I hope for something more from other developers that is beyond just a crime setting because it will grow very old soon, much like WWII shooters are pretty old, so, soon, a developer will need to push non-linearity in a new direction, once again.

Also, I want to make a few other things clear. As you've noticed, the GTA franchise has changed many of its direction after GTA III came out because, before that, the franchise actually had the majority of the gameplay focused on driving vehicles. Sure there were packages, rampages, weapons, and even on-foot missions to do, but there were a lot of vehicles and these games really were about stealing them, much like the same went for D2, except that it was focused mostly on the driving aspect. Secondly, I want to point out that whenever a game takes itself into the crime setting, it is very obvious that with all the freedom presented to you when on-foot, you are more of a bad guy than a good guy, especially since you can kill anyone you wish for. Therefore, it actually made a great deal of sense to DPL having a gangster as its main character rather than a cop or some other good guy, which would only make a good guy feel evil and that wasn't right. D3 failed because it tried to have the same freedom as GTA III while forcing you to be a good guy. And that concept didn't work, so the direction that the Driver series is best on heading forward is to put you in the seat of a gangster. This may seem like Rockstar North's ideas, but it does make all the more sense. After all, it was weird to have cops go after you when you were a cop, even as being undercover. The concept worked as a presentation in Driver: You Are The Wheelman, but it failed in the other Driver games. True Crime, as a franchise, was about playing a cop, but it had to allow for two sides, one being good, and the other being bad. Otherwise, it'd be just as old and weak of an idea as Tanner became in D2 & D3. Only in the crime setting should you be a criminal, when a lot of freedom is presented to you. As for other settings, you can be a good guy, but, in the end, the bad guy will have the most choices to make. However, if a game had two sides and really implemented it well (more than True Crime), it would allow for even more choices. Unless we are able to see a game allow for two sides, much like Fable or which, perhaps Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic implented and did it in the best ways possible, we will not see another game as good as the GTA franchise, within the crime setting, so it may be smart to follow the formula of two sides, or if it feels a bit too risky, the other choice would be, to be the bad guy. The good guy is too weak with any freedom seen in a game posessing non-linearity, so that would be the worst case scenario. Let it be the other two and not the good side, especially if its the only side presented to the main character.

InsaneDriver06
01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assault_machine:
I agree with the both of you, concerning the on-foot restrictions, PennySillin and InsaneDriver06. It certainly needs to be pushed forward, but it shouldn't necessarily be restricted in the missions, nor should it be a very small number. The one thing that matters is that the missions are laid out in as much of an original fashion as possible, such that they move the story forward really well. Maybe, one day, Reflections can work on a Driver game (sometime after this next one) which will offer around 40% on-foot, making 50% of the game driving and it'll push the whole experience as far as it needs to be. Then, sometime afterwards, maybe Reflections can move in a whole new direction within the Action/Adventure genre, as well as the free-roam sub-genre, but by offering something aside from the crime setting, or something still with the same setting, but to take it where it hasn't gone before.

The previous paragraph has now given me an idea. Maybe I should make a topic that lays out everything about the crime-based games that have been released and are soon coming (GTA IV, Mafia 2, Saint's Row 2, etc.) and look at what they've done as well as what hasn't been done yet. Other than that, I hope for something more from other developers that is beyond just a crime setting because it will grow very old soon, much like WWII shooters are pretty old, so, soon, a developer will need to push non-linearity in a new direction, once again.

Also, I want to make a few other things clear. As you've noticed, the GTA franchise has changed many of its direction after GTA III came out because, before that, the franchise actually had the majority of the gameplay focused on driving vehicles. Sure there were packages, rampages, weapons, and even on-foot missions to do, but there were a lot of vehicles and these games really were about stealing them, much like the same went for D2, except that it was focused mostly on the driving aspect. Secondly, I want to point out that whenever a game takes itself into the crime setting, it is very obvious that with all the freedom presented to you when on-foot, you are more of a bad guy than a good guy, especially since you can kill anyone you wish for. Therefore, it actually made a great deal of sense to DPL having a gangster as its main character rather than a cop or some other good guy, which would only make a good guy feel evil and that wasn't right. D3 failed because it tried to have the same freedom as GTA III while forcing you to be a good guy. And that concept didn't work, so the direction that the Driver series is best on heading forward is to put you in the seat of a gangster. This may seem like Rockstar North's ideas, but it does make all the more sense. After all, it was weird to have cops go after you when you were a cop, even as being undercover. The concept worked as a presentation in Driver: You Are The Wheelman, but it failed in the other Driver games. True Crime, as a franchise, was about playing a cop, but it had to allow for two sides, one being good, and the other being bad. Otherwise, it'd be just as old and weak of an idea as Tanner became in D2 & D3. Only in the crime setting should you be a criminal, when a lot of freedom is presented to you. As for other settings, you can be a good guy, but, in the end, the bad guy will have the most choices to make. However, if a game had two sides and really implemented it well (more than True Crime), it would allow for even more choices. Unless we are able to see a game allow for two sides, much like Fable or which, perhaps Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic implented and did it in the best ways possible, we will not see another game as good as the GTA franchise, within the crime setting, so it may be smart to follow the formula of two sides, or if it feels a bit too risky, the other choice would be, to be the bad guy. The good guy is too weak with any freedom seen in a game posessing non-linearity, so that would be the worst case scenario. Let it be the other two and not the good side, especially if its the only side presented to the main character. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had the on foot in the Driver series been up to par with Star Wars Battlefront, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Stranglehold, etc, I would like more on foot missions, but so far, the on foot in the Driver series pretty much sucked to be blunt about it(though still better than True Crime and The Getaway's crappy on foot) Why did it suck? Little more to it than run, shoot, steal cars and look at stuff. More interaction is necessary, with better camera views, gameplay, etc.
If Driver is 90% on foot and 10% driving, I would say it failed as a driving game. But the point about putting all that effort into on foot and never using it also comes into play. I'd say 70% driving action during missions would be acceptable. I want to drive most of all during missions.

Be a good or bad cop was the theme of Driv3r, if you rewatch the trailer, it's at the end, something like "Be good, be bad, be the Driver." You were able to fight cops as an undercover agent. Was it successful gamplay? Mass Effect is another example of good/bad guy choices to twist the storyline. I'd like to be a uniformed cop, a stunt driver, an undercover cop. Good or bad? It has to have serious consequences to the gameplay for me to appreciate it.

Assault_machine
01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
As far as I know, Reflections seems to still be experiencing trouble with the on-foot portion of the game. They've never made the on-foot missions good because they weren't so interesting, didn't offer plenty of abilities to use, and the AI has been pretty bad, especially in Driv3r, where it's very well one of the worst ever seen in a video game. If Reflections is to work on avoiding these common problems in the next Driver games and to offering on-foot missions alongside that of driving missions that help make the story good and move forward in the best ways possible, I think that we should see it in future Driver games.

Driv3r's good cop & bad cop choices were very limited, mostly due to the fact that the story missions were pretty linear for the most part, as you couldn't decide for how you want the game to end, nor is it anything like in the original Driver where there are 40 missions in the game, but you are to choose the missions you want to do, those which have to do with working for any people who've put their voices on the answering machine. This feature was at least somewhat a good deal of freedom. Perhaps the biggest difference between Driv3r and Mass Effect are that Mass Effect is an RPG and that it has some text Adventure game elements, those which allow the game to pause and to have you pick any dialogue and sets of actions to take that will progress the story, making it quite a non-linear experience in terms of how many choices you are able to have on choosing, whereas Driv3r only forced you along one path. The only way to call Driv3r at having a bad cop is that you can gun down pedestrians and any police men and that you get into chases with the police. Other than that, you're a good guy for the most part. And as I've mentioned before, if there is only a good side or even if the good side offers more than the bad side, it turns out that the game will be limited in its freedom.

Edit: The cops in the Driver series have grown to be very boring. All they ever have down is try to wreck your car or shoot you and have no intentions of arresting you. Even the recent GTA game's cops felt better in comparison to this. Also, why has there always been arrows pointed that guide you to where the cops are and why does this affect the cops in whether they're to crash or not. I'd say that this element is old. I'd rather be surprised and not be able to know if the cops are able to take me down rather than be spoiled by a chase and thinking before the same that eventually happens, that a cop will ram into something like someone who has no brain or skills. And not to mention that the slalom technique feels dull as well. Perhaps these are reasons why the cops have been so stupid in the Driver series. It should've been made a bit more difficult, such as in DPL, you could've been able to shoot backwards from your car (rather than always shooting forward, which is of little help to you when you're trying to escape) and the cops would shoot at you as well. The only way then to lose the cops would be to get as far away as possible, which you'd have to do by driving through certain landmarks that can get the cops lost, such as through a certain alley, a very narrow one, which you'd use riding on two wheels as a technique to escape. Now think of how awesome that would be. It's just become so boring for what the cops do in the chases. We need a lot of new elements and even somewhat of a more realistic direction.

InsaneDriver06
01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, we need clever cops that think outside the box of typical, dumb AI. Smarter cops that know how to make decisions and avoid obstacles, anticipate your movements, etc. Closer to a real person.

The on foot pretty much is lacking since Reflections main skill has been making car games. Hopefully, if they include on foot, Ubisoft will give them any help they may need to make the on foot kick @ss so it doesn't get dull fast.

Gamechamp_123
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Driver 1 needs at least 3 different things you can do while in the road! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Peace Out! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

kalle90
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah, we need clever cops that think outside the box of typical, dumb AI. Smarter cops that know how to make decisions and avoid obstacles, anticipate your movements, etc. Closer to a real person.

The on foot pretty much is lacking since Reflections main skill has been making car games. Hopefully, if they include on foot, Ubisoft will give them any help they may need to make the on foot kick @ss so it doesn't get dull fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should also have actual view. So if I lose them in narrow alleys they should get lost, but not instantly disappear from map, just slow investigate the area. Of course they could communicate so if one sees me he can help others find me and choppers are huge vision advantage. See through building Police which encourages me to destroy them or just outspeed them is old.

AI and On foot should be hugely improved along smaller things.

Every Driver has been great, but they all have some really irritating feat or feats. Those should be get rid of. Super Smash Bros doesn't have them and it's always great.

InsaneDriver06
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm sick of cop cars that have super powered cars instead of actual skill. So they'll catch up to you in seconds, then ram you, but when you weave around a pole, they smack right into it.

Smarter cops in realistic cars (realistic damage, speeds, agility, etc).

DriverKid
02-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sick of cop cars that have super powered cars instead of actual skill. So they'll catch up to you in seconds, then ram you, but when you weave around a pole, they smack right into it.

Smarter cops in realistic cars (realistic damage, speeds, agility, etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what most of us would like to see! I hated D3's "speedups" on the cop cars, you only got to use these in a few missions, where it barely even mattered. I hated teh cop chases in that game, since the cops couldn't even knock down the fences and stuff, they'd go through it.

FutureVenturer
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Here are the very things that I'd criticize the most. They are:

- Incompetent AI (Artificial Intelligence): Everything including cops, gangsters, and pedestrians all perform with very limited functions and do not know how to react when a situation goes bad. People have criticized that while having pedestrians always get away safely is pathetic, running over so many pedestrians is even more unrealistic, so this does not help at all. In both D3 and DPL, the cops & gangsters are very open for shots and don't do very much actions in letting themselves survive; they must think that they are robots with super powers, such that, whenever they get shot, it doesn't harm them.

- Outdated Car Chases: They're always about a player trying to avoid the cops at all costs. But this is not the bad thing. Everything but the idea of getting away from the cops just does not work as well as it did in the original game. The red arrows displayed in a car chase only fill up the HUD more and are an annoyance. The Metal Gear Solid radar on the map, which shows you where cops are driving around is really starting to seem ridiculous. Furthermore, it's ridiculous that if you're hiding somewhere and the street is nearby, a cop will instantly be alerted to your presence. This needs to be removed as it isn't such an important feature. It's a driving game, for crying out loud--not a stealth game. And cops are so dumb that whenever you swerve your vehicle a lot, there's a chance that they will crash. Unlike the cops in video games, those in the real world are much smarter (or competent)than this. It is really starting to drain the Driver formula by continuing to see the same things, over and over again, which are nothing but car wrecks and guns being shot at your vehicle.

- Boring Storylines: The storylines just really got drained out after the first game. I do not know about you, but it seems as if Reflections hired some very idiotic writers/scripters, as soon as the first Driver game was completed. The storylines not only lack originality, but their voice-overs and their atmospheres do not create an experience that will be worth watching like an actual car chase movie (and they're nothing good, but they're bad). I'm sorry Reflections, but if you simply believe that photorealism is enough for your cut scenes (perhaps even your real-time graphics for a game) to make a title that is worth buying, then you're right out of the ballpark with this intention.

- Limited On-foot & Driving: Yes. We know that these titles are labeled "Driver." And they do focus mostly on the driving. Is that a good thing? No, not really. Both the on-foot and driving experiences can be taken further. Of course there has been some decent, if not good physics and damage modelings for the vehicles, but this is just something for the realism, and sadly, it doesn't help enough to make the games great. The on-foot was included in D2, where it made the most sense to have it only be used for exiting/entering vehicles. But now, with more technology, on-foot should be taken to a whole new level. Could on-foot still have players realize that the vehicle portion is better? Could it help support the vehicle portion? And, could it give players a break from the vehicles? Abosolutely. However, a big problem is that Reflections is too strict on the on-foot. And that is dragging the gameplay down. Also, the on-foot has been know to offer controls and features that are nothing which will make you say,"wow! This is amazing!" Something must be done to enhance both sides of the Driver experience further.

Solution: To help ensure that the AI, car chases, storylines, and on-foot/driving experiences are taken further, a lot of cleaning up must be done. There need to be good professionals hired to work on the AI, and they really need to make it as close to perfect as possible (otherwise, it'll continue to be a big disappointment). Car chases need to feel a lot more realistic, such that they offer more tactics for the police to use and even give players more ways to challenge law enforcement. Should there be any 6 star wanted levels, as in the GTA games? No. Car chases would be ruined by that of a choice. However, SWAT vehicles and personnel can show up after some time to try to get the job done. The storylines either need to be original, with unique voice-overs, and offer a good ending, or they can be eliminated/removed, for the rest of the experience to be pushed further (particularly, that of the on-foot & vehicle). The on-foot will either need to be pushed forward or removed. If it's only going to hold back players and be a boredom after a few minutes, it's not worth to build on it. The driving experience definitely needs a lot of work. For one, the Film Director making a comeback would really be a pleasant thing to see, as this was one of the features that truly set the Driver franchise apart from other games.

I'm sorry for the long length, but this is an important post, since it gives Reflections criticism, which it can decide to resolve, if possible.

kalle90
02-28-2008, 08:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FutureVenturer:

- Incompetent AI (Artificial Intelligence): Everything including cops, gangsters, and pedestrians all perform with very limited functions and do not know how to react when a situation goes bad. People have criticized that while having pedestrians always get away safely is pathetic, running over so many pedestrians is even more unrealistic, so this does not help at all. In both D3 and DPL, the cops & gangsters are very open for shots and don't do very much actions in letting themselves survive; they must think that they are robots with super powers, such that, whenever they get shot, it doesn't harm them.

- Outdated Car Chases: They're always about a player trying to avoid the cops at all costs. But this is not the bad thing. Everything but the idea of getting away from the cops just does not work as well as it did in the original game. The red arrows displayed in a car chase only fill up the HUD more and are an annoyance. The Metal Gear Solid radar on the map, which shows you where cops are driving around is really starting to seem ridiculous. Furthermore, it's ridiculous that if you're hiding somewhere and the street is nearby, a cop will instantly be alerted to your presence. This needs to be removed as it isn't such an important feature. It's a driving game, for crying out loud--not a stealth game. And cops are so dumb that whenever you swerve your vehicle a lot, there's a chance that they will crash. Unlike the cops in video games, those in the real world are much smarter (or competent)than this. It is really starting to drain the Driver formula by continuing to see the same things, over and over again, which are nothing but car wrecks and guns being shot at your vehicle.

- Boring Storylines: The storylines just really got drained out after the first game. I do not know about you, but it seems as if Reflections hired some very idiotic writers/scripters, as soon as the first Driver game was completed. The storylines not only lack originality, but their voice-overs and their atmospheres do not create an experience that will be worth watching like an actual car chase movie (and they're nothing good, but they're bad). I'm sorry Reflections, but if you simply believe that photorealism is enough for your cut scenes (perhaps even your real-time graphics for a game) to make a title that is worth buying, then you're right out of the ballpark with this intention.

- Limited On-foot & Driving: Yes. We know that these titles are labeled "Driver." And they do focus mostly on the driving. Is that a good thing? No, not really. Both the on-foot and driving experiences can be taken further. Of course there has been some decent, if not good physics and damage modelings for the vehicles, but this is just something for the realism, and sadly, it doesn't help enough to make the games great. The on-foot was included in D2, where it made the most sense to have it only be used for exiting/entering vehicles. But now, with more technology, on-foot should be taken to a whole new level. Could on-foot still have players realize that the vehicle portion is better? Could it help support the vehicle portion? And, could it give players a break from the vehicles? Abosolutely. However, a big problem is that Reflections is too strict on the on-foot. And that is dragging the gameplay down. Also, the on-foot has been know to offer controls and features that are nothing which will make you say,"wow! This is amazing!" Something must be done to enhance both sides of the Driver experience further.

Solution: To help ensure that the AI, car chases, storylines, and on-foot/driving experiences are taken further, a lot of cleaning up must be done. There need to be good professionals hired to work on the AI, and they really need to make it as close to perfect as possible (otherwise, it'll continue to be a big disappointment). Car chases need to feel a lot more realistic, such that they offer more tactics for the police to use and even give players more ways to challenge law enforcement. Should there be any 6 star wanted levels, as in the GTA games? No. Car chases would be ruined by that of a choice. However, SWAT vehicles and personnel can show up after some time to try to get the job done. The storylines either need to be original, with unique voice-overs, and offer a good ending, or they can be eliminated/removed, for the rest of the experience to be pushed further (particularly, that of the on-foot & vehicle). The on-foot will either need to be pushed forward or removed. If it's only going to hold back players and be a boredom after a few minutes, it's not worth to build on it. The driving experience definitely needs a lot of work. For one, the Film Director making a comeback would really be a pleasant thing to see, as this was one of the features that truly set the Driver franchise apart from other games.

I'm sorry for the long length, but this is an important post, since it gives Reflections criticism, which it can decide to resolve, if possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You listed all the things I'm thinking just there. I don't see removing both story and on foot would do any good, that would just mean goodbye Driver for me. I certainly don't want Driver 5 and up be Driver1 or Burnout. There's games designed just for driving without story already. I always play the story mode first, what would I do with sandbox game without main mode?

AI: Agreed 100%
Car Chases: Agreed, stealth still is the most logical permanent way to get rid of endless stream of police. Arrows aren't needed and HUD system is way old, I can't lose cops in small alleys as their vision is always too big. Just one thing; you said you can't use stealth and in next sentence you say this isn't stealth game and shouldn't use it.
Storyline: Ok, they aren't best or anything too memorable but they are decent. Visuals and environments, settings and actors do they job ok. I'd gladly take better stories, but wouldn't get rid of them at all.
On Foot and Driving: Agreed. Basic driving is ok, on foot should have all basics from smooth turning and fighting to jumping and climbing. Then improving both 2 mechanics and making change from one to another smooth and compatible with the other, including the full 1st and 3rd person. Then make them used. There should be more than usual police chases.

Priority of modes
1.Free ride
2.Story
3.Mini Games
4.Film Director
5.Customisation, cheats, options
6.Multiplayer (Driver2 had some nice base but it was empty)

InsaneDriver06
02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sick of having a giant city to explore with nothing more to do than look at things. DPL is a perfect example, you can't even jump. There needs to be MUCH MORE INTERACTION Reflections. Otherwise, things get a bit stale after exploring every section of the map.

FutureVenturer
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalle90:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FutureVenturer:

I'm sorry for the long length, but this is an important post, since it gives Reflections criticism, which it can decide to resolve, if possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You listed all the things I'm thinking just there. I don't see removing both story and on foot would do any good, that would just mean goodbye Driver for me. I certainly don't want Driver 5 and up be Driver1 or Burnout. There's games designed just for driving without story already. I always play the story mode first, what would I do with sandbox game without main mode?

AI: Agreed 100%
Car Chases: Agreed, stealth still is the most logical permanent way to get rid of endless stream of police. Arrows aren't needed and HUD system is way old, I can't lose cops in small alleys as their vision is always too big. Just one thing; you said you can't use stealth and in next sentence you say this isn't stealth game and shouldn't use it.
Storyline: Ok, they aren't best or anything too memorable but they are decent. Visuals and environments, settings and actors do they job ok. I'd gladly take better stories, but wouldn't get rid of them at all.
On Foot and Driving: Agreed. Basic driving is ok, on foot should have all basics from smooth turning and fighting to jumping and climbing. Then improving both 2 mechanics and making change from one to another smooth and compatible with the other, including the full 1st and 3rd person. Then make them used. There should be more than usual police chases.

Priority of modes
1.Free ride
2.Story
3.Mini Games
4.Film Director
5.Customisation, cheats, options
6.Multiplayer (Driver2 had some nice base but it was empty) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I said that this is not a stealth game, and when I mentioned the MGS radar feature, I didn't say that it should be removed because it's for a stealth game--I meant to say just that it feels too unrealistic, such that we're in a huge world and no matter what, our biggest enemy will always be a cop. Secondly, I don't think too many cops drive around, so it would be better for Reflections to cut down on that a little bit (to not have their always be a cop around a corner, which is unrealistic). While I do mean this, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't want a way for us to lose the cops through stealth. No. If Reflections can get rid of having an MGS radarm which just disturbs the gameplay, and instead have players encounter cops out of surprise, players can then try their best to lose the tail (without any MGS radar nor any red arrows present) and go for a different vehicle to lose the heat. However, the cops shouldn't be done looking for you. In fact, it should be so realistic that the cops will continue trying to look for you until you're arrested or dead (much like in the Jason Bourne books and movies). And if Reflections can make a unique on-foot & driving experience that feels much like a thriller (Bourne-style), it can really makes things all the more interesting, not to mention, more realistic.

I have a question concerning your list of priority modes: Do you actually want the main menu to return when a pause menu and open-world structure is more convenient (not to mention, it allows for much less loading times)? It seems very unreasonable to go back to a front/main menu when a pause menu has more advantages, especially for any open-world games. And as much as you love stories, you've got to admit that games many times restrict players too much. This is why we've seen other games, labeled "god game" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_game), "non-game" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-game), or the more familiar term, "sandbox game" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_game). If you've heard of at least one of these terms, then you already know that games do not always require to be followed in the direction of a storyline. Since technology is starting to become more advanced, games are becoming more and more about players making their own choices, which could either mean that they can play a game with a story, but not have to follow it, or they can play a game without a story and do whatever they want the whole time. If Driver abandons a story line, it could be able to have side missions or driving careers to help keep the driving experience alive. Exploration could be the biggest way to experiment in the next Driver game, such that both driving and on-foot gameplay will be made necessary. What makes the GTA games so great is that they have a whole world to your own disposal and one of the biggest components of the game is to explore the world, which then helps you attain unlockables and receive rewards for doing so. Furthermore, a game like Burnout: Paradise proves that with an open-world world, and with cars (or other vehicles), you don't need a storyline to get the most fun out of it. You just need a variety of elements/features to go around for the players, such that they will be able to do a lot with the driving experience and the on-foot experience.

kalle90
02-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Yes there shouldn't be unlimited cop stream. They shouldn't magically appear close me and disappear when Im slightly farther from them.

Basically I don't care if we have or not main menu, doesn't disturb me. Gun was good example of game combining all the game behind "Start game" choice. It had free world and story. I spend 2 seconds in it's main menu and don't return to it before I start game again. I know Driver multiplayer, mini games, missions could be applied to free ride mode in same manner.

I know all games don't require it, but it's just really important aspect of game. Almost all non-games and other storyless games don't interest me at all. I know some people don't care if there's story or not, but for me it's just a big plus games usually just profit of. Halo, Splinter Cell and Max Payne have their position in my game shelf because of their story, even weaker games like Terminatorhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifOF and Simpsons Game get a lot from story.

There necessarily isn't anything wrong with freedom if there's something to do, and I ain't meaning some ramps InsaneDriver is fond of. I like Driver, I dislike Stuntman. Im pretty sceptical about seperate side missions too (True Crime had fine and it might actually work with more depth). Burnout Paradise demo is great but after few minutes I start to think blah, same goes with Tony Hawks, Gun, even GTA and Super Smash Bros. Radio is perhaps the best part of GTA, I can listen to that when I don't find or have anything else exciting to do in game.

Like I said I don't think games evolve so much sandbox games offer enough freedom and things to do. That just frees me of buying next few consoles and games which isn't necessarily bad, but we all know that's not the best thing. I rather want small and fully thought Splinter Cell style game than huge sloppy area with no things to do. Splinter Cell wins Gun though Gun is much more open and there's plenty to do. Oblivion is perhaps the best example of real working sandbox game, huge pretty world, great AI, full freedom, lots of missions which don't form perfect story but there's the lines. Even it becomes numb sometimes. I don't see how action oriented Driver could achieve similiar world in next 10 years.

Driver is the realistic and better built game considering athmosphere and story. GTA is more the random chaos and experimenting. True Crime is mix of crazy driving and massacare including working athmosphere and story, with good on foot and activities.

InsaneDriver06
02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Note: Less people will read LOOOONNNNGGGG posts, so it's best to sum it up in a few sentences. Not enough time to read it all.

I don't like Survival mode much. It's too extreme, and I don't remember the game critics mention it from Driv3r. Add a difficulty option: easy, med, hard, insane.

kalle90
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Note: Less people will read LOOOONNNNGGGG posts, so it's best to sum it up in a few sentences. Not enough time to read it all.

I don't like Survival mode much. It's too extreme, and I don't remember the game critics mention it from Driv3r. Add a difficulty option: easy, med, hard, insane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't blame me, it was FutureVenturer who brought huge posts here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyways, more text and thoughts for bored or actually interested people. It's better to write everything I think now than forget it forever.

I loved survival mode in Driver2, in 3 it's weak. Most of all I would want more settings for all mini games. Survial mode had one variation on all three cities and other gamestypes had few more. There should be atleast 5 different subgames for all mini games on all cities. Different starting points, different vehicles, different difficulties.

If police are shooting on foot, I should be allowed to leave vehicle too. To the death. Of course there could be few subgames not having on foot cops.

I miss record boards too. With subgames they could come back, not with changeable difficulties.

Actually some site mentioned Driv3r survival in top#25 party games of all time, they said it's great fun, unlike rest of the game.

FutureVenturer
02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
It's true that many sandbox games don't tend to involve enough freedom. The reason for this is because most developers trying to use a great degree of freedom always tend to go first with everything that was already there, as opposed to innovating, which doesn't take such risks as much as innovation, but it would seem more reasonable to create "your product" rather than "someone's product." It's true that games are always going to have quality as the biggest priority, but second handedly, freedom will also start to grow more as a vital element/factor for many games.

If story has been such an important thing for you, then why do you spend any time at all around sandbox or open-world games, when I'm pretty sure that you'd be better off with those much more linear games (i.e. Half-Life 2, Legend of Zelda, Mario, Halo 3, Gears of War, God of War, Final Fantasy, etc.)? You must be a linear gamer for that matter. For me, it really goes both ways, but innovation and self-expression (usually leads to innovation), should always come first. Rez proves that self-expression has a big impact on the video game industry, as this was the very first abstract game and its self-expression revolved around a world in a computer, which basically has the developer expressing what it believes it would feel to be within the computer, and to blast away viruses. Metal Gear Solid 2 has Hideo Kojima give the message that war should no longer be seen about being the hero, and that war can jeopardize our freedoms, giving a much deeper meaning along the lines of war. Also, if you notice closely, each Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid game presents some unique philosophy that revolves around the main characters and enemies within the game. The sad thing is that many gamers do not look directly at Hideo Kojima's self-expression and instead look at the storyline and the cut scenes, leaving out some important things to know about Kojima and Kojima Productions (developer of the MG franchise). While storyline needs to be noticed, I feel that self-expression too, will need to be noticed to get the whole picture, and to know how to think in terms of an artist.

The problem with narrative these days is that it is often too similar to what we've already seen. Take stories about aliens or nazis invading our world as being examples of narrative that are too much found in FPS games. I believe that developers can do more than that. Reflections Driver franchise is not about atmosphere and story, but what really is first hand about the franchise are the car chases, so regardless of whatever is done to a Driver game, the car chases must always be the biggest part of the game. Unfortunately, that has not been the case for the Driver games after the original, which is why I'd rather see Reflections sacrifice something to make up for a whole new and unique driving experience. By giving it a good story, that's not changing very much of the rest of the game. In fact, if you love narrative so much, and I also say this to anyone else: You would do better going to read books because they're filled the most with that. Maybe it shouldn't come as such a big surprise to me. Video games are still at the "Birth of A Nation" stage, which movies have long gone beyond, moving to culture and artistic expression. If games are always to be seen as narrative first, the culture and artistic expression will never grow as big as in movies. Movies may always appeal to nearly everyone (including those who are against video games today) and video games will always only be seen as toys which Johnny receives as his Christmas present from under the Christmas tree.

kalle90
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Like I have said many times I'm a variable gamer. I don't buy a lots of games with same gametypes or concepts. Few sandbox games are just refreshing, but making every game go in same direction would be really bad. Driver just happens to be the best sandbox base as realistic story based free action.

I think this is getting mix of words. Of course Snake's philosophy is part of game, I don't start seperating it and the basic storyline. Excuse me my big picture.

I ain't saying there should be exact copy of old time stories, but I ain't supporting getting rid of stories either. Best would be original and/or well thought story. This is again comparison of my and your definition of words. I don't know if this discussion is sensible.

FutureVenturer
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Okay. I understand that you don't want games without storylines, but there are still games out there that never needed storylines or didn't have any. My concern is that movies will always be above that of video games and that critics will pound on games, saying that sex is not acceptable (it is in the movies industry, so why not in the video games industry?), and that movies will appeal to anyone from a born child, to someone who is an old person. But video games aren't able to do that still. Of course the Wii is starting to build more on that, but it won't get there unless we think beyond just narrative. Multiplayer is one way of saying it, which is the means of competition. You may not care for multiplayer, but it is one of the most important things about video games and makes them similar to sports. Maybe it's true what Roger Ebert, an expert film and book critic says, which is, "video games can be art, as can anything else, but they'll never be fine art." One way or another, we'll just have to see, but I'd hate to see Ebert proven right. Having a culture is far more important, especially for a hugely growing industry as that of video games. Nintendo and the likes of many others feel that it should be restricted, and so, therefore, many games can't appeal further than children. It's not as if a grownup will start playing video games on their own as they are working. This is a rare thing to see happening. It means that we need to spread it towards being something of a culture to us, as well as a part of self-expression. Of course, we can have narrative, but building on culture and self-expression is important as well. Would you not want to one day see people, as in family members spending more time with one another? The Wii is not enough to make it possible. Unless we can say the PS4, Xbox 3 (or 720), and the next Wii console appeal towards casual gamers more, while also making the hardcore gamers feel good, it'll possibly be enough to establish a huge culture for many of those people living in the U.S., in Japan, in Europe, and possibly in other places around the world.

InsaneDriver06
02-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I will say that great stories make the action that much more meaningful, where without a great story, the action may become pointless, as in the latest GOD OF WAR for the PSP. Game Informer's review stated certain times you're fighting without really knowing why, which takes away from the combat narrative so strong in previous versions.

The CLUB is another example of "little story, lots of action".

So story isn't always a bad thing, but I agree, many sports/racing/stunt/arcade/action games need very little story to be successful.

kalle90
03-01-2008, 04:55 AM
I really don't know game that wouldn't be better without story. Super Smash Bros, Tekken, even Fifa could get some extra value with story. That doesn't mean they don't work without story.

I'm fine if and when games become more different for wider audience. It's refreshing to play different games and Wii is doing great job offering it, nothing against making different games. I still want to have good amount of games in my "genre". If there's 9 000 games 8 500 of them can easily be games I don't really like or consider my preferable style. Driver just is my favorite free roam city game and so I wouldn't want it to become too different.

Driverman2006
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Like I said before, I'm sick of front-end menus in the Driver series. The front-end menu sucks out all the magic and fun out of the game. When I first played Driver 76 and found out that it had a front-end menu, I was PISSED. I had to select what I would want to do by using a menu. That's not fun in a game. Plus, the take-a-ride mode was probably the second worst in the Driver series (Driver 1 being the worst). You can't restore your health or vehicles or anything. Now if Driver 76 played like D:PL by not having a front-end menu, the game's replay value would've been increased by a long shot. There would be no more isolation between modes of gameplay. In fact, I don't ever want to hear the following words again in the Driver series: "Take-a-ride Mode", "Undercover/Story Mode", "Driving Games/Mini Games Mode". The word "Mode" implies that you want a front-end menu, and that's just not cool.

InsaneDriver06
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm sick of only seeing a handful of cars on the road at any time. DPL rules in terms of traffic, something I hope returns with a traffic option: none/low/med/high traffic.

I'm also tired of seeing cars POP into existence up ahead, mostly due to engine performance. Crackdown, an open world shooter/driver, is seriously flawed with pop in vehicles constantly.

And the absolute WORST CASE I've ever seen of pop in? SAINT'S ROW. I traded that junky game in. You'd be driving on the freeway and all of a sudden, the game stops, your car disappears, your player is floating and the scenery is loading for literally 20 seconds. POS engine. I hope the sequel uses a different game engine, otherwise, forget it.

FutureVenturer
03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I've heard that Crackdown was a good game. As for Saint's Row, it did better in its ratings/reviews of critics than games like True Crime 1 & 2, The Getaway, DPL, and D3, so I figure that it did well. However, you're right about the fact that it gets so annoying whenever vehicles pop up. Ridding this feature would be a very complicated process, as it would make the game feel a lot more linear (it'd be like playing vehicles in the same place all the time, the same way it would be to place enemies within a level of a game), but with better driving physics and as gamers master these kinds of games, it will get much easier.

I do agree strongly with you, Driverman2006, for everything you've just told us. However, I disagree that Driver: You Are The Wheelman is the worst Driver game, just because it has a front-end menu. Of course, a sequel within a franchise can grow better in quality, but there's a great chance that it'll never go deeper in the roots of the original's formula nor in its self-expression (for Driver's self-expression and formula, it was all about the car chases). This is your opinion as I understand, but I find it ridiculous to think that it sucked terribly, all due to one feature. It's a PSOne game for crying out loud, so you can't blame it. No game had a front-end menu at that time. Maybe it's replay value has changed for you because it's a 5th generation game (we're currently in the 7th generation), so you judge an old game when comparing it to newer games, when it would be better to compare it just to all the games that came out at around the 5th generation on every one of the consoles, including the N64, PSone, Sega Saturn, 3DO, Gameboy, etc.

For me, Driver: You Are The Wheelman is a blessing to the Driver franchise because it's quality still feels great for a game of its time. D2, D3, and DPL didn't manage to take the car chases very much further than D1 (as you know, the AI is actually the best in D1). And car chases are the most important factor of this franchise, so you might as well consider the first game the best. Also, it was perhaps the only good game to feature more than one city and its film director really shined great and added to its replay value. You can say whatever you want, but I think InsaneDriver06, and I will count the first Driver game as the best one thus far, until Reflections can find a bigger way to improve on the car chases and other elements within the next Driver game.

kalle90
03-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Actually you can compare old to new. I still like Medievil, Rollcage and Tomb Raiders a lot more than most of my Xbox games. Nintendo Contra, Super Mario, Metroid and few others share the same.

Driver1 has me stuck in vehicle, no repairing, getting felony means constant getaway, technical difficulties and limitations, simple gameplay, not possible to make huge wreck piles and story doesn't beat other Driver stories hands down. Yea, that list isn't long enough to say Driver1 isn't superior.

Of course my statement above is bunch of "facts" that affect my opinion. It's my opinion that isn't right or wrong. You seem very protective about saying how Driver 1 is the best.

Referring to quote under

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And car chases are the most important factor of this franchise, so you might as well consider the first game the best. until Reflections can find a bigger way to improve on the car chases and other elements within the next Driver game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Car chases and what other? On foot that Driver2 had being basically exact same game? Weak on foot&gt;No on foot. Then there's other comparison of Good on foot&gt; Bad on foot.

But I really don't care about menus. They are fine. Rarely I see games that have too complicated or irrlogical menus.

FutureVenturer
03-02-2008, 09:38 AM
If you really do hate Driver 1, then fine. But to me, when I think of the first game within a franchise, I feel that it's the most significant part of the whole franchise. Of course it's true that sequels can improve, but not likely on delvering a better form of self-expression.

kalle90
03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Didn't say I hate it. I said it isn't the best. First time playing it was great, but Driver2 basically improved everything enough.

I know what you are talking about. HaloCE created the same immersion to me. Sequels are tecnically better, but 1st one really hit me leaving eternal mark.

InsaneDriver06
03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
SPORTBIKES: I'm sick of why they can't HOLD A WHEELIE without flopping back down as though they don't have any torque. Stoppies are easier to pull off, but overall, sportbikes need much finer controls, slow through fast speeds. DPL's bikes were a couple notches better than Driv3r's, but still needs work.

Responsive controls like from MC3's bikes would be one direction to go, but add more Driver realism.

FutureVenturer
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalle90:
Didn't say I hate it. I said it isn't the best. First time playing it was great, but Driver2 basically improved everything enough.

I know what you are talking about. HaloCE created the same immersion to me. Sequels are tecnically better, but 1st one really hit me leaving eternal mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? Is that so? When I've compared everything of Driver: You Are The Wheelman to Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back, it seems that the second Driver game really ****ed up a lot of things. For instance, the frame rate is a lot messier. The graphics in D1 are better, due to the fact that the vehicles shine when in the sunlight, and the D2 vehicles have no reflections at all. The AI is more lacking & easier to escape in D2 than in D1. The missions were well connected to the storyline and were well inspired by movies with car chases & well done, as was the storyline, which really had the voice overs and everything else feel like you were in the 1970s. And the Film Director in D1 lasted longer on taping footage than in D2. I think I know what you're thinking. Since D2 has more features, including on-foot & multiplayer, it automatically is considered the better game. Quality is more important than quantity, so I'd have to say that you're wrong, if this is what you were thinking. When I played D2, I played it before D1, so when I went on to D1, I compared the two, and I found D2 more lacking in the end.

InsaneDriver06
03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
It's true that Driver 1 is a better game overall than Driver 2, despite the on foot option.

kalle90
03-21-2008, 01:18 PM
It's more a opinion. I played D2 first and then D1, actually I played D1 demo before everything but that doesn't really count.

Driver1 felt so crippled without the on foot ability and there were also some other graphical and gameplay minuses in Driver1. But I played D2 first so there's no way to think this unbiased.

Reviews have given pretty even rates to those 2 however. Driver3 and PL have gotten a lot weaker reviews, though it seems to be more about how dissapointing they were, not actually how bad they were.

Quanity-Quality isn't straight comparable. Other game might be inch weaker graphically but have 200 more items for example. On foot is that huge and D1 isn't superior enough in any way to make that up. Besides some people could call on foot quality rather than quanity.

FutureVenturer
03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Of course it's an opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, D2's on-foot had far too little to offer (hunting for cheats & vehicles, and pushing switches wasn't so pleasant), such that it shouldn't be considered a great thing about the game.

And by the way, Driver 1 had the best reviews, of all the critics that reviewed the Driver franchise. Game Rankings, a big website that has video games ranked according to multiple sites' reviews (GameSpot, IGN, 1Up, Game Informer, etc.), and it had D1 score 88.1% (out of 100), D2 scored 70.1%, D2 Advance scored 63.4%, DPL scored 70.2% (the PS2 version, as being the highest ranked), 68.6% (Xbox version), 61.8% (PC version), and 59.8% (Wii version), D3 scored 59.2% (PS2 version), 40.8% (PC version), 59.7% (Xbox version), and 79% (mobile version), Driver: Vegas scored 55.8% and Driver 76 scored (59.6%). This shows that the Driver franchise didn't do so impressively, as I would consider a game below 80% unacceptable for me to rent, as its value would likely drain away very quickly, and this is what happened with D2, D3, and DPL, for me.

InsaneDriver06
03-22-2008, 07:57 AM
One reason Driver 1 was a better game was based on the overall framerate not crippling the driving action as bad as Driver 2, which gets to a crawl, slow motion style.

I agree, I really enjoy the option to hop out of the vehicle and pick any vehicle to drive, or just to walk into the underground base, the stadium, the freeway, suburbs, garages, ghost town, etc.

On foot in Driver 2 was useful for activating gates and levers mostly, which is something DPL forgot to add to the gameplay. It actually makes the on foot worth something beyond shooting.

-----------------
What I'm sick of in Driver games: Too many cutscenes that could have been spent improving the actual gameplay experience, since we're not paying for the game to watch movie clips. Story's important, but just use in game footage to tell the story and that will be better. By using CGI, it makes the in game graphics look subpar in comparison, which equals inconsistency in terms of artwork throughout the game.

smiler_16
03-29-2008, 04:17 AM
in Driver games: Too many cutscenes that could have been spent improving the actual gameplay experience, since we're not paying for the game to watch movie clips. Story's important, but just use in game footage to tell the story and that will be better. By using CGI, it makes the in game graphics look subpar in comparison, which equals inconsistency in terms of artwork throughout the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i disagree with that, i believe that the "HD" style high quality movies just made the storyline more interesting for many of the people watching it.
plus in D:PL i actually like the videos because it feels much more like a movie then mainly times like in the 70's with corrigan felt like the best parts of the "movie" (to me personally).

InsaneDriver06
03-29-2008, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smiler_16:
in Driver games: Too many cutscenes that could have been spent improving the actual gameplay experience, since we're not paying for the game to watch movie clips. Story's important, but just use in game footage to tell the story and that will be better. By using CGI, it makes the in game graphics look subpar in comparison, which equals inconsistency in terms of artwork throughout the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i disagree with that, i believe that the "HD" style high quality movies just made the storyline more interesting for many of the people watching it.
plus in D:PL i actually like the videos because it feels much more like a movie then mainly times like in the 70's with corrigan felt like the best parts of the "movie" (to me personally). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough.

smiler_16
04-01-2008, 11:00 AM
LOL...

erm...

ok then...

lol

InsaneDriver06
04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd say the one thing I'm sick of in the Driver series is the lack of abilities on foot. Offer some climbing, jumping and more vehicle interaction most of all, like hanging onto cars, climbing onto the roof or seat(of a bike) while moving, car related stunts.

smiler_16
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
i think that more access to high places is a must

if you think about it, dont you just think it would be great to jump off high places in a car

and if it is high enough then your car should explode, just for that hint of realism... but of course not too much realism or else it would be boring and there would be no point of adding this idea

InsaneDriver06
04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smiler_16:
i think that more access to high places is a must

if you think about it, dont you just think it would be great to jump off high places in a car

and if it is high enough then your car should explode, just for that hint of realism... but of course not too much realism or else it would be boring and there would be no point of adding this idea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, if it's high up enough, when you land, your tires should go flat and need repair if that's an option in game. Lots of ramps that launch you way into the air. Being grounded is only half the fun in a Driver game.