PDA

View Full Version : Global warming? Piracy?

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
I just wanted to post this here also, posted the original on Steam's Assassin's Creed forum.

Has it occurred to any of you that this whole DRM mess nowadays resembles quite a lot the issues with global warming?

I mean, there are a lot of people who are denying the whole fact that the global warming is indeed happening, and very rapidly so, because of humans. Some say climate has always been changing and it's just changing as it always has, ignoring that the rate is much faster than ever in history.

How to fix global warming? Well, we would have to give away a lot of our modern day luxuries and produce a lot less useless consumer goods. Also reducing air traffic, cars etc. should be inevitable. Switching to renewable resources would help ease the burden on Earth. Cutting the rain forests should be stopped and more plants should be planted instead.
I'm pretty sure these things won't happen any time soon, though. Because people aren't ready to give away their old life styles and comfort to save even something as necessary for our survival as a endurable climate. Only a series of horrible natural disasters will wake people up to realize that everything is not indeed okay.

And what does it have to do with this DRM? Well, for starters some are denying that piracy is even a problem within the gaming industry and that companies are making huge profits nevertheless. And when companies start using more offensive DRM, people get angry, which is understandable when you're a paying and honest customer.

DRM is here to stay as long as pirates are not willing to stop or the number of pirates is greatly reduced. The problem is that pirates are not capable of giving up free luxury and comfort for "greater good". Just as people are unable to do so to at least reduce global warming. Sure, some people are very cautious and keep their polluting levels low and buy food and products that don't add much to the global warming. Those can be compared with the legitimate customers of the gaming industry. The truth is that most people would rather pirate games for free than to pay for them, just as most people would rather not think about global warming and just consume and live as they always had.

I know it's not fair for us in either cases. Piracy began before most of us had even the slightest possibility of being consumers. Global warming issue started long before we were born. Unfortunately it seems that we have to pay for the mistakes of those before us. :/ And by this post I'm in no way meaning that piracy is as serious as global warming. I was just stating the obvious similarities.

Sorry for the long post, but I found this rather intriguing.

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
I just wanted to post this here also, posted the original on Steam's Assassin's Creed forum.

Has it occurred to any of you that this whole DRM mess nowadays resembles quite a lot the issues with global warming?

I mean, there are a lot of people who are denying the whole fact that the global warming is indeed happening, and very rapidly so, because of humans. Some say climate has always been changing and it's just changing as it always has, ignoring that the rate is much faster than ever in history.

How to fix global warming? Well, we would have to give away a lot of our modern day luxuries and produce a lot less useless consumer goods. Also reducing air traffic, cars etc. should be inevitable. Switching to renewable resources would help ease the burden on Earth. Cutting the rain forests should be stopped and more plants should be planted instead.
I'm pretty sure these things won't happen any time soon, though. Because people aren't ready to give away their old life styles and comfort to save even something as necessary for our survival as a endurable climate. Only a series of horrible natural disasters will wake people up to realize that everything is not indeed okay.

And what does it have to do with this DRM? Well, for starters some are denying that piracy is even a problem within the gaming industry and that companies are making huge profits nevertheless. And when companies start using more offensive DRM, people get angry, which is understandable when you're a paying and honest customer.

DRM is here to stay as long as pirates are not willing to stop or the number of pirates is greatly reduced. The problem is that pirates are not capable of giving up free luxury and comfort for "greater good". Just as people are unable to do so to at least reduce global warming. Sure, some people are very cautious and keep their polluting levels low and buy food and products that don't add much to the global warming. Those can be compared with the legitimate customers of the gaming industry. The truth is that most people would rather pirate games for free than to pay for them, just as most people would rather not think about global warming and just consume and live as they always had.

I know it's not fair for us in either cases. Piracy began before most of us had even the slightest possibility of being consumers. Global warming issue started long before we were born. Unfortunately it seems that we have to pay for the mistakes of those before us. :/ And by this post I'm in no way meaning that piracy is as serious as global warming. I was just stating the obvious similarities.

Sorry for the long post, but I found this rather intriguing.

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 02:18 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

KZarr
03-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Wow.. Piracy and Global warming.... ok....

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 02:37 AM
KZarr, did you even read the whole post? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I stated that I did not think both are as serious. Thus, I will ignore any replies in he future where it is obvious that posters have not read/uderstood my post.

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 02:45 AM
I read it, but whereas global warming can be... delayed, the new DRM doesn't even hinder piracy.

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 03:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I read it, but whereas global warming can be... delayed, the new DRM doesn't even hinder piracy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ. Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hunter 5 haven't been successfully cracked yet. I'm sure that many would-be-pirates have bough the game because of that. A DRM that works for even a few days after the release of a game can lead to massive sales spike, while a zero-day-crack can be crippling for the game's sales.

DRM does hinder piracy. StarForce kept some games uncracked for almost a year (or was that SecuROM, can't remember the details), I'm sure most hackers&pirates that REALLY wanted the game, bought it instead.

But in the end, this post wasn't about DRM mainly. It was about piracy. Denying that piracy is a problem for the PC's gaming industry is just like denying that polluting causes global warming. There are probably some psychological reasons for people to do that, at least concerning global warming, their psyche is not capable of realizing the burden and the fact that the matter might truly be out of their hands. However, if everyone tried to pollute and consume less, we might be getting somewhere. But that ain't happening.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:08 AM
your views on global warming dont make sense.

i see insects around that are not supposed to be around for another 4 months.

i see snow flakes in april ???

as a fisherman i see the tides have changed ,and fish appearing in our waters that shouldnt be here.

the temperatures have gone nuts

the truth is global warming has been a reality for many years,and we have spent so much time debating it,and doing nothing,that i think its now too late.

but the good news is,no matter how bad it gets,and how far it goes,mother nature will restore it all after the human race is long gone and just dust in the wind.

thats if we dont kill ourselves off sooner with disease or destruction via wars.

as for piracy,well its here to stay,as long as there are nerds who see it as a challenge,there will be pirates.
right up until games developers decide to stop producing games due to it being uneconomical and then we are all up the creek without a paddle http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ps..your cures for global warming though are spot on,but the problem is getting us to give up those things http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 03:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mazena86:
DRM does hinder piracy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then how do you explain it getting cracked by Russian hackers even before release?

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 03:11 AM
The crack let them access only a few parts of the game, not play the game freely. I wouldn't call that a very successful crack. And do you want more examples on games that have been crack-fee for a long time? I can dig up some data for you if you don't believe me.

Edit: And again, that was not my post's main point, but I see that you don't want to listen.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mazena86:
The crack let them access only a few parts of the game, not play the game freely. I wouldn't call that a very successful crack. And do you want more examples on games that have been crack-fee for a long time? I can dig up some data for you if you don't believe me.

Edit: And again, that was not my post's main point, but I see that you don't want to listen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn..you beat me to it.

i would have thought the russian whine thread would have made it clear to him they didnt crack it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 03:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:

Edit: And again, that was not my post's main point, but I see that you don't want to listen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn..you beat me to it.

i would have thought the russian whine thread would have made it clear to him they didnt crack it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"They" aren't necessarily the hackers, are they?

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 03:27 AM
As far as I know, Assassin's Creed 2 hasn't been successfully cracked completely. If it has been, you must have connections to some private hacker groups as a quick google search revealed to me that all "crack torrents" out there have a lot of people complaining that they don't work.

If you know better, please prove it.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
"They" aren't necessarily the hackers, are they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

theres no doubt at all they are not hackers,they are the ones waiting for the hack.

and thier presence here says it isnt cracked.

thier attitude should also tell you they dont think it will be hacked any time soon.

just basic human nature,if they did have it hacked,they wouldnt be here moaning about it.

seen it so many times,they will disappear as soon as it is hacked,all at once and in a puff of whiny smoke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I won't post any links, but if you search on Google you'll see several torrent downloads for ACII.

And stop insulting Russians, seriously.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:48 AM
I won't post any links, but if you search on Google you'll see several torrent downloads for ACII.

And stop insulting Russians, seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you seriously telling me to go looking for a torrent of this game ?

on the game devs forum ?

and then have the cheek to tell me i`m insulting russians ?

well,time to report you.

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 03:56 AM

And stop insulting Russians, seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I just said I googled it and went to a certain harbor to check some comments on the AC2 torrents. None of them let the pirates play the whole game, only a few sections.

NONE of the torrents on the internet have a working crack even if it is the complete ISO of the DVD. DVD is useless without a CD-key.

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
I didn't tell you to download any pirated software, just merely pointing out the fact that the game has been cracked despite the DRM. And I've seen your comments in the Russian "whiners" thread, calling them idiots & all that.

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 04:05 AM
I didn't tell you to download any pirated software, just merely pointing out the fact that the game has been cracked despite the DRM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sigh* You're pretty misinformed. Here, I'm going to quote something I picked up from a site I won't be linking here:

"Its so funny that all of you guys are asking for a crack, Its like i want ice cream with an ferrari and lamborghini. *****in about an crack isnt going to develop the crack any faster at all. Just wait 3 more days or more. Play something else, play the first game instead of 2. All the crackers group find this really funny imo xD"

"281 comments loool ,,,,,,, ok we have good crack or now?"

"Darn, **** you ubisoft!!! i hope someone will crack this."

There you go, everything indicates that the game has not been cracked! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Or at least that there is no crack available to the average pirates. Only us legitimate customers can play it at the moment, and, boy, ain't that sweet for a change.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 04:05 AM
I didn't tell you to download any pirated software, just merely pointing out the fact that the game has been cracked despite the DRM. And I've seen your comments in the Russian "whiners" thread, calling them idiots & all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

theres no denying you told me to go google it,and what exactly would you call 14 pages of whining about the same thing ?,
because it certainly isnt a indication of being in the top 5 at a mensa meeting.

also note you say "idiots" is an insult,which means you ignored the 14 pages of far worse abuse aimed at everyone here and decided to single out my post.

as well as providing info on how to get a rip copy,you are also guilty of harrassing and targeting me for your own passive aggressive tirades.

even the lowest of boards has rules on this.

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 04:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:
as well as providing info on how to get a rip copy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean pointing out the obvious? If you want to download or search something then the Google search engine is usually the 1st place to go. And there's nothing wrong with providing information; it may be illegal to buy drugs, but you can't get arrested for telling someone where they might find a drug-dealer. If mentioning something is on Google is a crime then why doesn't Ubisoft just sue Google for advertising piracy?

Anyway, this thread's gone really off-topic. Let's end this argument here before we both get banned, eh?

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 04:14 AM
You mean pointing out the obvious? If you want to download or search something then the Google search engine is usually the 1st place to go. And there's nothing wrong with providing information; it may be illegal to buy drugs, but you can't get arrested for telling someone where they might find a drug-dealer. If mentioning something is on Google is a crime then why doesn't Ubisoft just sue Google for advertising piracy?

Anyway, this thread's gone really off-topic. Let's end this argument here before we both get banned, eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you're avoiding answering my posts. I guess that is your way of telling me I'm right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I gladly accept your acknowledgment.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 04:28 AM

Anyway, this thread's gone really off-topic. Let's end this argument here before we both get banned, eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you're avoiding answering my posts. I guess that is your way of telling me I'm right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I gladly accept your acknowledgment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was also wondering why he included me in getting banned along with him ?

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess you're avoiding answering my posts. I guess that is your way of telling me I'm right. I gladly accept your acknowledgment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean the fact that the hackers only cracked part of the game? Then I guess you missed the letter posted just recently by one 'Iriscal'.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was also wondering why he included me in getting banned along with him ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If two or more members get involved in a 'flame battle' then generally both participants get sent on "holiday".

Heh, this thread just reminded me of a funny image I saw...
http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/1669piracy_eco_friendly.jpg
NOTE: I'm not encouraging piracy; it just causes more problems than it solves.

Mazena86
03-08-2010, 04:35 AM
"Iriscal"? What's that?

Sorry for my confusion, I'm Finnish and don't speak perfect English for than reason n_n"

Xanatos2007
03-08-2010, 04:38 AM
"Iriscal"? What's that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A new topic (yes, ANOTHER DRM thread) was just made by a pirate known as "Iriscal".
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry for my confusion, I'm Finnish and don't speak perfect English for than reason n_n" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your English is fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 04:40 AM
"Iriscal"? What's that?

Sorry for my confusion, I'm Finnish and don't speak perfect English for than reason n_n" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iriscal posted a letter to ubisoft here,thinking it would make him look clever.

just as Xanatos2007 thinks calling what he did a flame war to make it sound as though i am guilty of what he has done.

Black_Widow9
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
This has gone absolutely nowhere in two pages. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
This has gone absolutely nowhere in two pages. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pssst..err you forgot to click the lock button,quick before someone sees it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif