PDA

View Full Version : If I can run FB+AEP smoothly...

Etneral
02-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of buying Pacific Fighters ($20 CAD in Gatineau!!). Should I notice any difference in the performance? I can run FB+AEP fairly smoothly on my system:

P4 2.8Ghz
Radeon 9200
512 Mb DDR-RAM (I know I have to double it!).

Thanks!

Simon

Etneral
02-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of buying Pacific Fighters ($20 CAD in Gatineau!!). Should I notice any difference in the performance? I can run FB+AEP fairly smoothly on my system:

P4 2.8Ghz
Radeon 9200
512 Mb DDR-RAM (I know I have to double it!).

Thanks!

Simon

bogusheadbox
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Depends on how high you want your graphics.

YOu should not see any significant loss of performance as PF is the same engine. However the new palm trees texture is a perfomance hit.

But on your rig, especially if you have no problems at moment, you should be AOK!.

Plus once you merge them all, you can join the hordes online......Then the fun begins !

Just watch out for the new flight model. It has sent more than a few experienced pilots but to basic training. ;-)

Skycat_2
02-02-2006, 07:15 AM
There are some other little goodies that can be enabled that might -- if all are used together -- bring your frame rates down just a little. However, further optimization of the code by the developers has helped neutralize the negative impact of using the new options (humanoid AA gunners on airfields, new cloud textures, another water style setting). Furthermore, the AI aircraft stick around longer after they land and all the AI use the same FM as the player, so these require a little more processing from the computer. Bottom line: You shouldn't see too much of an impact but you might have to make some accomodations over your present video or DGen settings to get the exact same performance level as you currently have with FB+AEP.

bogusheadbox
02-02-2006, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the AI use the same FM as the player, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they ??????

Skycat_2
02-02-2006, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the AI use the same FM as the player, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they ?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is copied directly from the ReadMe that came with the PF_4.01m upgrade:

"It is likely that some people may have a problem in their first attempts to fly with the new flight model, especially with take-offs and landings when FM is set to €˜realistic€. However, once you understand the differences and get used to it, everything will fall into place. We would like to point out that the new FM will take more system resources to run, especially when many aircraft are in the air at the same time. It doesn€t matter if it is human or AI, because our AI pilots use the same FM!"

jg54athlon
02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Sir,
I have a AMD Athlon 1700+ and Geforce 5600FX and 1gig of ram and don't have any problems running it, so you will be fine with your specs. For folks like myself that have older equipment, the game is still a great game, even if we have to turn a few graphics down. Your computer will run fine with 512ram, as that is what I use to have, but I think the extra ram is worth it when you get the money for it, but don't be worried about that, it will only cause a few hickups every now and then with 512mb.

Etneral
02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Thank you very much all for your comments. It is good to see that my system will run PF. I will go and get it tonight.

Thanks again,

Simon (ex-CFS3 player http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif)