PDA

View Full Version : O/T Bit of advice on Monitors Please

superjohnny
05-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I currently have a 21" CRT Monitor and am seriously thinking of trading it in for one of the new breed of fast LCD ones.
My main problem is this.
I run everything on my comp at 1024 * 768. This gives me good framerates, especially on FB/PF and still looks great.
I notice that most of the new LCD monitors have a native reolution of 1280 * 1024 (to high for decent framerates). My question is what would my game look like if I run it at the lower resolution, would it affect it in anyway, is it even possible.
I know there a lot of folk out there with a lot of knowledge, any help would be much appreciated.
Ta.

superjohnny
05-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I currently have a 21" CRT Monitor and am seriously thinking of trading it in for one of the new breed of fast LCD ones.
My main problem is this.
I run everything on my comp at 1024 * 768. This gives me good framerates, especially on FB/PF and still looks great.
I notice that most of the new LCD monitors have a native reolution of 1280 * 1024 (to high for decent framerates). My question is what would my game look like if I run it at the lower resolution, would it affect it in anyway, is it even possible.
I know there a lot of folk out there with a lot of knowledge, any help would be much appreciated.
Ta.

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Ask Sunflower to confirm this, but you wouldn't like that it looks like or the frame rate hit you would take by trying to stay native with the new LCD.

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 09:38 AM
And it don't look too good at the lower resolution.

What dot pitch do you currently have?

Jungmann
05-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I've got similar questions. I just got a "19 NEC LCD with the high native resolution. It's higher than the game supports, so I've set the game hardware as high as it will go. Great eye candy but more micro-stutters than usual (on a Raedon 9800 card, 516 RAM). I haven't checked for an FPS loss yet.

Is there any way to force the game settings higher?

When I reduce the settings on Control Panel/ Display to the highest game setting, the monitor image deteriorates quite a bit.

Any way to massage the match?

Cheers,

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Higher than the game supports? Are you sure? What is the native resolution of your LCD thingy?

superjohnny
05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, may as well stay with my 21" beast then at least until I have a comp big enough to up the res. I have a 3000XP with a 246mb GF5950 and 1GB of RAM, so I doubt I will be upgrading in the near future.
If only the **** thing didn't take up so much desk space.

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 10:46 AM
You know, I hear people say that all the time and then I look and see what they put behind their LCD screen... you guessed it... not a thing!

Why? You running out of space to store Jimmy Hoffa body parts or something? If so, just call Joe at www.magnum-pc.com (http://www.magnum-pc.com) because them New jersey type guys always know where there's room to stash some left over body parts! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jungmann
05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Lucky One: 1284x1020 is the native res of my NEC. I think all the new LCDs have this res, and they don't like it if you crank them down.

Cheers,

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Yep, they don't. They gonna be fine and dandy when the CPU's get about twice as fast as they are now, which will take longer than most have become accustomed to, running that native resolution won't load the CPU too much and running the resolution out of native mode hits the LCD with quality and performance problems. That's why I say it's still a Mistubishi DiamondStar tube world as far as gaming goes.

Sorry, I wish I could say otherwise!

jarink
05-13-2005, 10:13 PM
You'd take a small FPS hit, but you could run it in windowed mode. Not ideal by any means, but a possible compromise.

Freelancer-1
05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I have two monitors side by side on my desk.

19" Samsung SyncMaster 955df(CRT) and a 21" Dell 2001FP(LCD).

I have taken the time to run the game on both monitors extensively and by far, the better monitor is the Dell. The problem with most LCDs is they were not designed with gaming in mind.

That's changing now. But you pay a premium for a quality monitor. Is an LCD worth $600.00 more than a comparably sized CRT? For me, yes. For you, maybe.

PS. Don't even think about getting a high-end monitor of either type until you have a system that can push it.

'nuff said, Freelancer

stansdds
05-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm using a cheap Samsung 710n LCD 17" monitor. I was using 17" CRT KDS Xtreme Flat. The LCD is far easier on my eyes and looks better than my old CRT. I was skeptical about using an LCD, but now, I would not want to go back to a CRT.

LeadSpitter_
05-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Look for dot pitch, .21 is good quality, .25 is not bad either and the norm but not as crisp as .21

Also look for refreshrates, 100-200hz on high resolutions above 1024x768 helps alot for a quality monitor.

superjohnny
05-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I will definetley have to wait a bit. The reason I wanted a flatter screen is that my 21" is so big that I have to put it at an angle on the desk which hurts my neck (due to the odd angle between keyboard and screen) after I have been on it for a while. With a nice flat one I could have it in front of me and eliminate the old neck strain malarkey. Oh yeah and the wife thinks it would look "prettier".
Right off to shoot down some Japs.