PDA

View Full Version : carrier takeoff and download info.

command21
05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
ok, first question is about takeoff from a carrier when it's not moving. every time i try i crash into the drink. any suggestions on how to do this? also, due to a major computer crash i'm gonna have to re-download the patches. now when i do this, do i just download them into the hard drive? or do i download them into the game itself? and if i do that, then how do i do that?

kenny AKA raven66

command21
05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
ok, first question is about takeoff from a carrier when it's not moving. every time i try i crash into the drink. any suggestions on how to do this? also, due to a major computer crash i'm gonna have to re-download the patches. now when i do this, do i just download them into the hard drive? or do i download them into the game itself? and if i do that, then how do i do that?

kenny AKA raven66

EiZ0N
05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
If you're struggling on a carrier, my tips are:

-Take smaller amounts of fuel (50% or 25%)
-Get engine spinning up to max before you release chocks
-when moving across the deck, keep nose level with horizon to maximise speed
-lower flaps when you get near the end of the deck

Crucially, when you go off the end of the carrier, keep stick movements GENTLE. Biggest mistake is probably thinking

"Oh no, I'm going to hit the water!" and yanking the stick.

If you have sufficient power, you'll be fine, just keep movements gentle.

Also, it may be harder if not impossible if you carry heavy bomb loadouts.

good luck!

MaxMhz
05-15-2007, 09:37 AM
It's not for nothing that ships turned into the wind for aircraft to take off or land. Even on a moving ship it can be a close call. Get your tail up ASAP, kick in flaps the moment you're off the deck, and PRACTICE (a lot)

Just download the patch to a temporary folder, there should be an exe inside. run that and direct it to the game directory. Overwrite files. Check the version number on startup of the game (lower left says VX.XX on start.

Fireball_
05-15-2007, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EiZ0N:
-Take smaller amounts of fuel (50% or 25%)
-Get engine spinning up to max before you release chocks
-when moving across the deck, keep nose level with horizon to maximise speed
-raise flaps when you get near the end of the deck
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm quite sure EiZON meant to say LOWER flaps when you get near the end of the deck. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also as you leave the deck, if one of your wings starts to dip, try to correct (gently) with opposite rudder instead of aileron.

EiZ0N
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Heh heh, my apologies, lower flaps as soon as you near the end of the deck.

Lehnert
05-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello command21,
I increase immediatly my skill to takeoff and land at carriers with some missions of this famous campaign - only missions to exercise for takeoff and land
on grass-strip and carriers like the real pilots.

It is called Straigt from the Farm and you can get it here:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147

Cheers
Gerhard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by command21:

kenny AKA raven66 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nimits
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ok, first question is about takeoff from a carrier when it's not moving. every time i try i crash into the drink. any suggestions on how to do this? also, due to a major computer crash i'm gonna have to re-download the patches. now when i do this, do i just download them into the hard drive? or do i download them into the game itself? and if i do that, then how do i do that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another thing, without a catapault, most pilots in real life would never attempt to take off from carrier that was "parked." It can be done in this game, but do not interpret your inability to get a loaded fighter airborne in a couple hundred feet as an inability to handle "normal" aviation situations. Why the "static carrier" training missions were included at all is beyond me, except maybe some sort of practice for online dogfighting maps. There is certainly nothing easier about operating from a fixed carrer as oppose to one with 30 knots wind over deck.

command21
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
ok, i found the download. now do i just download it on the hard drive in "program files"? or right into the game? and be very specific in your instructions cause i'm not very good with this contraption. oh yea, with out the patches what i've got is pacific fighters 3.0. will download work?

Zeus-cat
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Straight From the Farm is my campaign. Download it and follow the installation instructions in the readme file.

It was made with PF 4.01. Not sure if it will work with 3.o, but it should.

Send me an email (zeuscat@sbcglobal.net) or post here if you have problems.

Skycat_2
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Edit: I misread your last question and thought you wanted to know how to install PF patches. Here's a quick guide for getting up to v4.04.

For "just" Pacific Fighters, you'll need a total of five patches:
- 3.0 to 3.03

You can get the direct links to these patches in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273). Be very careful that if you don't have PF 'merged' with FB and AEP that you don't download the patch versions that have the 'm' in the name.

Click on the link for each patch and choose the 'save' option for each, and then choose a location on your computer to save them. Your desktop will work fine, especially if you plan to delete the patches when you are done.

If you save the patches to your desktop, they will be easy to find. Look for the application icon for the v303 patch and click on it. The patch will basically install itself with a few prompts from you, like confirming that you have the game installed to the default location.

After the first patch completes its process, start up Pacific Fighters and check the lower left corner of the intro screen. The version number will be displayed in red, and it should say v3.03. If you were successful in this, exit the game and continue with the remaining four patches, continuing with v4.01 and finally completing with v4.04.

command21
05-16-2007, 06:32 AM
well, all was downloaded and installed and seems to work quite well. thank you for your help.

command21
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
straight from the farm. ok, i downloaded it and it's working fine so fare. but now i've got a guestion. after completing the mission and hiting the ESC bar a window opens up with the following: safe track, apply, refly, main menu. now the button labled SAVE TRACK, do i do anything with that?

FoolTrottel
05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
'save track' will record the mission as an .trk file, which you can playback later.
(Mind you, .trk files are not very ideal to use, as it only records your inputs to your crate in the mission, starting at mission start. It will fail to produce good results if you've use time compression, or if the flight model or aircraft performance is changed in a patch.)
Better assign a key to control 'Start recording' and 'Stop recording', which will result in an .ntrk file, which stores much more info, resulting into more consistent playback.

(Not sure if you asked the following, but I just couldn't stop typing here...)

Apply: accept the mission result, and advance to next mission in the campaign. (You want that one me thinks)

Refly: Well, lemme think what this does...

Main menu: revert back to menu, and do not accept the mission result, continuing the pilot career will mean you will have to refly this mission.

Have fun!