PDA

View Full Version : calling old farts!

deskpilot
09-14-2008, 12:37 PM
replying to the age poll got me remeniscing. Anyone else have those fabulous dinky toy planes when they were younger? The spitfire and me109 had motorised propellors, the hurricane 11C had a wheel behind the cockpit that made a gun sound, and the stuka had a bomb you could put a cap in so it went bang when it hit the ground. Marvellous. They really don't make em like that any more!
I must have had over a hundred airfix, matchbox and revell kits to. a 1/32 scale me 109f was one of the best. My son (trainee 117 on this forum by the way) is buying me a tempest kit for my 41st birthday as I really haven't grown up !

deskpilot
09-14-2008, 12:37 PM
replying to the age poll got me remeniscing. Anyone else have those fabulous dinky toy planes when they were younger? The spitfire and me109 had motorised propellors, the hurricane 11C had a wheel behind the cockpit that made a gun sound, and the stuka had a bomb you could put a cap in so it went bang when it hit the ground. Marvellous. They really don't make em like that any more!
I must have had over a hundred airfix, matchbox and revell kits to. a 1/32 scale me 109f was one of the best. My son (trainee 117 on this forum by the way) is buying me a tempest kit for my 41st birthday as I really haven't grown up !

stalkervision
09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">revell kits to. a 1/32 scale me 109f was one of the best </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The revell 1/32 kits were the best! Excellent box art too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Uufflakke
09-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I always liked Airfix untill Tamiya came on the market with their highly detailed kits. Man, I watched their annual catalogue for hours and hours.

You should see this off topic thread about model kits. It makes my fingers itch:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2601013236/m/8831094945/p/1

These guys know how to put the plastic parts together and how paint them!

M_Gunz
09-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a steel shell P-38 about a foot wide till Mom handed it to my brother's kids one day.
It got torn up and thrown out same as my replica Colt 45 and a whole series of treasures.

gizmo60
09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Haha yes, you've just reminded me I had a Stuka that dropped a cap loaded bomb.

Thank you for that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Low_Flyer_MkIX
09-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I had the Stuka - and a couple of bare metal ones you had to screw together and paint with the enamels provided. You chaps do realise they're worth a fortune if you never took them out of the box, don't you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

As a sign of my ongoing mid-life crisis, I collect die cast WWII planes. I kid myself it's an investment. Probably a regression to childhood thang going down, if I'm honest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

deskpilot
09-14-2008, 02:08 PM
I dearly wish I had looked after my dinky toys. Not just the planes but I had tanks and ships too. My mum must have hoovered up dozens of plastic shells. Those guns fired really well!

jdigris001
09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
When I was a kid it was practically guaranteed come christmas time I would get Airfix models for presents from all the relatives, and I was over the moon every year as I loved them. I really was in seventh heaven when our family was posted to England for a year because meccano and airfix models were so much cheaper than in Australia, when we came back to Aust I had about 50 kits I still hadnt assembled and I was the envy of all my mates.

My favorite model that I ever had was of the Saturn moon rocket, I cant remember who made it but even the clamshells opened to reveal the lunar lander etc, and my second favorite model was of the USS Enterprise (nuclear version)complete with miniture phantoms corsairs, intruders and skyhawks and even tomcats!

Unfortunately when i left home to join the air force mum threw out all my treasured models http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

deskpilot
09-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I had that rocket too! It was made by airfix and I got it for Christmas when I was 11. It was a very impressive kit and must have been about 2 feet high.

TheFamilyMan
09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
As a lament on the state of scale model building, a local hobby shop, San Antonio Hobby Shop in Mountain View, California, closed a few years ago due to the waning sales of hobby supplies. The San Jose Mercury News newspaper published an article about its closing (this place was that much of a landmark); the owner blamed, you guessed it, video games for the demise of the business. Back in the 1970's this place was the scale modelling hobbyist's (RC and trains included) wet dream. Their selection of top name kits (all genres) and supplies was always well stocked; I spent many a weeks' allowance there in my early teens. Last time I visited there about 8 years ago I was shocked to see the high prices on the kits (inflation?). Kits I used to purchase for $7 to $10 usd were selling for $40 to $60. No wonder kids were no longer buying this stuff, concidentally those are also the prices for a new video game.

leitmotiv
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
San Antonio closed?! I was last there about eight years ago. I remember it in its heyday in the '70's, too.

Forty-one does not qualify for old fart status---fifty-five nearly does. When I was in London, the twentyish loved to call the forty-yr-old me a "geezer" which I found annoying (called them unprintable things).

I had a huge collection of Airfix and Frog models when they were first released in the U.S. in a major way in 1964-65. My favorites were the first two I bought---the Anson and Hudson.

tomtheyak
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
I must have had over a hundred airfix, matchbox and revell kits to. a 1/32 scale me 109f was one of the best. My son (trainee 117 on this forum by the way) is buying me a tempest kit for my 41st birthday as I really haven't grown up ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I collected the things about 18 years ago; I first found an A6m5, finished in metallic blue (?!!!) in a drawer in an old antique shop, scratched to bu@@ery and sans pop baldes but it still had its canopy and spinner. Never seen another since.

I also have two of the Spits - one was repainted by my father as it was in a shocking state but we managed to get some replacement bits including prop and canopy - plus the 109E, the Hurri (without the wheel, alas) the STuka and the most expensive of the bunch but prized anyway; P-47! She's a beaut.

They also did a Harrier,, Jaguar and a Tornado of similar ilk but I haven't got the Tonka.

Tranie117
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey dad tis I! I hope your not having a mid life crysis! Haha just kidding! Just to say that in about twenty years time I will probably be reminising on my airfix kits too! Sufice to say I shall be buying myself a P-38 at the same time I buy you that Tempest.

PS: Hope I haven't ruined your post with my
awful spelling! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

larschance
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
My first kit was an Airfix Spitfire 1 72nd in about 1959 or 60. The first of many. A favourite was the Revell Hurricane in 1 48th scale.
In the 1980s I managed to recreate a staffel of 109Es with all authentic markings BoB period but youngsters trashed my garage in search of the glue so they ended up smashed.
In the nineties I collected 1 700th scale WW2 aircraft made in a little factory in Ireland. They were used on the Air Force Dauntless gaming boards and I later created a computor programme dealing with combat results such as damage variations and landng chances depending on damage.
Happy days.

larschance
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
BTW dont mention farts. I am beginning to understand why that term is used as I get older. Must be all the real ale I like. Anyway ales called Spitfire or Bomber County let alone Hobgoblins and Firsty Ferret would have been enjoyed by the pilots of old just as much.

crucislancer
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I recall a few metal airplanes that you pushed along the ground and they made noises, though I can't recall what kind I had. I also had a few really small ones. Last year at an air show I got a metal 1/144 Corsair for my daughter, as it's her favorite plane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I build quite a few models when I was a kid, most of which were 1/48 scale. I remember that I had a P-40, F-15, F-14, AH-64A, U-2, and a P-47. I don't have them anymore, sadly. I'm in the process of working on a P-47, Tempest, Corsair 1A, and a Spitfire Mk XIV, all in 1/72. Of course, at the rate I'm going, I'll have one done by Christmas.

HayateAce
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh, and don't get me wrong. I feel bad for your local shop and it's owner. Every last one of them across the US for that matter. The InterWeb will never approach the fun of riding your bike to shop on Saturday morning. Inching your way up and down the aisles, searching through stacks of kits, picking out paints and perhaps a new brush. With a *CHING* of the register, you take your sales ticket and crisp new sack full of finds, linger towards the front windows for a last look and you're off.

See ya, I'm off to my local shop before it closes.

http://www.plaidstallions.com/toystores/trainaisle.jpg

-HH-Quazi
09-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I had over 30 plastic model ac's that I built hanging from my ceiling by thread or fishing wire in positions mocking them in dogfights.

stalkervision
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
I had over 30 plastic model ac's that I built hanging from my ceiling by thread or fishing wire in positions mocking them in dogfights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that too until one night one fell down and landed on my head! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Uufflakke
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Since I play IL2 once in a while I think about the times I made those plastic kits. My favourite one was Hupert Polz' Ju-87 with the snake on both sides by Revell. I almost forgot about that plastic kit untill I downloaded the skin.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/Ju-87.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/stuka01-1.jpg

Yeaah, those were the days. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif
And actually I still have the Revell and Tamiya catalogues and now I realise they must be about 30 years old now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

P.FunkAdelic
09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
WTF is with moms throwing out all those things? You don't see them tossing their entire shoe collection whenever THEY move.

Mine is good about not tossing my stuff, too bad I'm too young to have lived in a time when they made stuff like that. Everything I had that was like that broke cause its so cheap. Though I do have a few poorly done plastic models of Spits and such.

Lego was pretty awesome too. No lego stuka though.

Hoatee
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I paid for roughly half my airfix models - the rest I stole.

Rodney64
09-18-2008, 02:02 AM
In the late 40's and early 50's, we had an army surplus store that sold WW2 miniature airplanes. They were made of black (ABS?)plastic material, and were solid figures, about 7" long and 9" wingspan. I was told that they were surplus airplane identification training aids. I got a 109E and a P-40. The supply was mostly bombers, which I didn't want (then)!

I had tons of fun dogfighting with a plane in each hand! They're long gone, and I think I remember breaking one wing on each one when I came up with the trick of launching them into the air. Zero aerodynamics, natch.

leitmotiv
09-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Revenge of the Airfix Lancaster

My childhood collection was sacrificed to "hairy bustications" of one type or another. One of the more elaborate was when a friend and I glued firecrackers next to each nacelle of the Airfix Lanc, lit them, and I spun the thing vertically. It attained a surprisingly high altitude at which we expected to see a mighty blast. There was none. It plunged to earth and just before hitting the ground all four crackers blew turning the Lanc into a perfect replica of a "daisy cutter" bomb. Had we not been "four eyes" with glasses we probably would have lost our eyes to all the shrapnel.

WTE_Ibis
09-18-2008, 03:10 AM
When I very young my father who was stationed in New Guinea gave me a hand crafted P39.
It was made by an American friend of his and here is the kicker, it was made out of a propeller from a Zero. Of course I was to young to appreciate it and you guessed it, it's long gone.
I've kicked myself many times over that.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

WTE_Galway
09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
As a lament on the state of scale model building, a local hobby shop, San Antonio Hobby Shop in Mountain View, California, closed a few years ago due to the waning sales of hobby supplies. The San Jose Mercury News newspaper published an article about its closing (this place was that much of a landmark); the owner blamed, you guessed it, video games for the demise of the business. Back in the 1970's this place was the scale modelling hobbyist's (RC and trains included) wet dream. Their selection of top name kits (all genres) and supplies was always well stocked; I spent many a weeks' allowance there in my early teens. Last time I visited there about 8 years ago I was shocked to see the high prices on the kits (inflation?). Kits I used to purchase for $7 to $10 usd were selling for $40 to $60. No wonder kids were no longer buying this stuff, concidentally those are also the prices for a new video game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing has happened to a lot of the electronics hobby market. Rather than building your own robot from electrical parts kids with a technical bent tend to program.

Model painting is still a popular hobby but with the youngins it tends to either be Cars or Warhammer gaming miniatures rather than historical tanks, trains and planes.

Choctaw111
09-19-2008, 11:25 AM
I built some great model kits starting from about 25 years ago or more. I had P-51's, P-47's, 109's, 190's, Zeros...a little bit of everything. The one I was most proud of was my 1/48 DO-335. That turned out beautifully. At some point in time, and I am not sure when exactly, but it was after I joined the Army and left all my models at home, you know, with Mom and Dad, and the next time I came home...they were gone...along with many other things. I still get upset when I think about it.