PDA

View Full Version : The great *Advice for n00bs* thread!

JunkoIfurita
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Okay, I understand that a lot of people new to Pacific Fighters and flight sims in general won't know everything straight off. Questions must be asked - but we've been answering the same questions over and over for 5 months and it's wasting a lot of Ubi's bandwidth.

So here's my proposition - one thread, hopefully stickied, where we can all post our 'advice for the n00bs'. Don't post here to ask a question, we'll try and keep it condensed to only answers so that it's easier to wade through. Just post answers to all the questions you know are being asked all the time, so that people new to the game can hopefully get some answers before they post.

That way, when somebody asks a new question, we can add the answer to this thread - eventually greatly reducing the current overload we have at the moment.

Mods, take note! This is for the good of the community, here.

-----

JunkoIfurita
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Okay, I'll start - here's a few that come to mind immediately.

1.The reason you can't raise your landing gear on the Wildcat or I-16 is that it's a manual gear aircraft - assign some keys to 'manual gear up' and 'manual gear down' then tap them many times until your gear is up/down.

2.You can open the gunsight cover on the early SBD, Ki-43 and D3A1 by pressing Ctrl-D by default. You can then use Shift-F1 to look down said sight. On other aircraft, such as the Zero or 109, Ctrl-D will raise or lower a 'dimmer' for the sight. Shift-F1 will 'centre' the sight in all aircraft.

3.If you can't raise the landing gear on the Stuka, D3A1 Val, Gladiator (J8A) or CR42, then too bad. Those planes have fixed undercarriages.

4. Patch order as of today is as follows: If you only own Pacific Fighters, download the 3.03 patch, install it. Then download the 3.04 patch and install it. If you own the 'Gold Pack', or Forgotten Battles and Aces Expansion as well as Pacific Fighters, then do the same thing except now you download the 3.03m and 3.04m patches instead ('m' stands for 'merged install'). Now you can play online.

5. No, there isn't a Pacific Fighters room at Ubi.com lobby anymore. Nobody plays there anymore, anyway. Download Hyperlobby from www.hyperfighter.sk (http://www.hyperfighter.sk) and you'll find rooms for both the Pacific Fighters standalone, and the Merged Install, so you can play online to your hearts content.

6. No, the planes aren't totally porked. No, that plane isn't 'uber' over everything else. No, they weren't cheating when they dived in on you, shot you down, and then flew away too fast for you to react. They were just using their planes and tactics to their advantage. Learn to fly your plane with skill, and you WILL hold up in given situations.

7. The new patch will come out at some point. It will have new planes. It will have a new flight model. Stop asking already - go and fly your plane instead, pilot. That's an order!

----

GR142_Astro
03-25-2005, 08:32 PM
No matter the temptation, pick ONE n00b plane to get started with and stay with it for at least a month or two.

I know with the bewildering number of aircraft in this game it is tempting to jump in every plane you see to take it for a spin, but don't do it.

Stick with one, and develop some good, sound flying skills. Here's my "n00b" plane list:

1 Most any Yak, with the Yak3 being preferred

2 Any of the La5 or 7's

3 Any of the Spitfires. The only con is the poor forward view of the later models.

4 Bf109G2 (Same thing applies about the limited view)

5 Any of the Hurricanes (although pitifully slow)

These AC seem to be ALMOST immune to stalling, which is one of the number one problems for new players.

Stay away from:

1 Any of the 190s

2 P38

3 I~16

4 P47

5 Any Corsair

There are obviously a million variations of the above 2 lists, and I won't be drawn into flamewars over the relative n00bness or experten nature of various planes.

The point is, it's like starting to fly RC airplanes. If he has any scruples, the hobby shop guy won't sell you a P47 for your first kit. You'll leave with a high-wing trainer and end up thanking him later. That's just how it works.

steve_v
03-25-2005, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
So here's my proposition - one thread, hopefully stickied, where we can all post our 'advice for the n00bs'.
Mods, take note! This is for the good of the community, here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We have two. Have you seen them?

Practice tips for newcomers.... http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=8901086932&p=1

Multiplayer Introduction Thread for New Players - Where, When, How! http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=6791022932

EURO_Snoopy
03-25-2005, 08:52 PM
All the leg work's been done:
Unofficial Community Created FAQ (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/faq_index.htm)

ImpStarDuece
03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Some general advice;

1) Watch and learn on line;

Press 'S' to look at the scores of the gys and girls you are flying with on-line. Note the best ones. Fly a little bit and after you get shot down, if the server has externals, switch to externals and wach what they do. There are some real aces in the skies.

2) Pick a favourite plane and master it, then move on to a new challenge.

I find myself doing better when I switch to a new plane every few months. Why? I get bored, lazy and sloppy when I know an aircraft like the back of my hand. That will get you shot down. So I challenge myself and keep my flying sharp by choosing a new airframe with its own particular quirks to keep me on my toes. I was a Jug flyer offline for two years, I now fly the Ki-43 online whenever I have the chance, next month its going to be the 109F2!

3) The sim rewards the following;

Background reading of the history of the conflict and airplanes, knowledge of basic air combat tactics (not necessarily manouvers) a good attitude and patience.

4) You will get shot down, lots;

The only appropriate response to getting shot down is "<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">S</span>" (Salute, or any variation of; -S-, ~S~, =S=, ect) or "<span class="ev_code_PINK">gk</span>" (good kill). Complaining about something will not win you any friends. Accept it, move on and play friendly.

5) The following things are unforgivable breaches of ettiqute;

A) Swearing (this is a game, there are children around),
B) Kill stealing (shooting at a burning, crippled, wingless or otherwise helpless plane),
C) Team killing (shooting your own team),
D) Vulching on servers that disallow it (straffing enemy players on the gorund, the exception here is for players who fly bombers i.e. IL2, B-25, He-111 and serves that do explicitly allow it)
E) Base camping (hovering over the enemy base to kill planes as soon as they are wheels up),
F) Shoulder shooting (firing past a friendly to get at a target)

6) When a friendly is engaging a target you should;

Offer support; take 'perch', a position above and close to the fight so that you can
A) Help your team mate out if he gets in trouble
B) Intercept anyone else attempting to intervene
c) Maintain your altitude and cover your team mate when he/she climbs out after a kill.

Rushing in on an engaged target is
A) stupid; you waste altitude and energy gettin to a target that will be shot down anyway
B) stupid; you give up your ability to gain or maintain superior altitude and/or speed
c) stupid; you may interfere/get in the way/ram your teammate, resulting in two team deaths instead of one enemy death

7) In objective oriented servers the objective is te most important thing;

This means that you and your team should attempt to form a basic plan and try to counter the enemys plan. This does not involve everyone jumping into a P-51, 109K4, La-5Fn, La-7, 190D9, Spitfire MkIXHF and atttempting to shoot down every enenmy on the map.

8) Look for and use the third party programs that people have made for the sim (IL2 Manager, Hardballs Aircraft Viewer, IL2 Stab, Il2 Compare, UberDemons UberQuickMissionGenerator, New View and many others)

9) Whining on the forums is not condusive to the enjoyment of the game; case in point Hayateace and Stiglr.

Oh and I also posted these in the "Practive tips for newcomers" thread

MAXIMS FOR SIMMERS

Always, always, always check your six. A blind spot exists only because you allow it too.

Trust your mirrors, dont rely on them though.

Never shoot over the shoulder of someone else. Kills are not worth alienating a potential wingman.

If your wingman is on the 6 of a bad guy gain alt and circle, keep his a$$ covered and dont get greedy

A good wingman is worth a squadron of no hopers

Your wingmen will die if you dont look after them. He will look after you in turn, if he doesn't, you are dead.

Think! Use your head. Work out the advantages your plane has and stick to them. If your in a turner, TURN, if you in a BOOMER, boom, if your in a biplane, PRAY.

ACM is not as interesting as you think, the simplest moves are often the most effective.

The slow loop will always get you killed.

When you have to do it, and you will have to, the slow loop should always have a non vertical compontent to it. Add rudder or a horizontal twist to it.

That said, the slow loop will always get you killed.

When in doubt, gain altitude.

Learn about energy management; zoom and boom DOES NOT mean go straight down then straight up again.

The shallow dive IS your friend.

Likewise, the shallow climb.

Things that are not your friend; the ground, water, carriers, trees, houses, bridges, P-47 and 190 pilots that don't turn with you.

The 'best' plane does not exist. There are pilots who can handle their machines and those that can't. Period.

Pilots who know their machine top to bottom have the 'best' plane.

Luck does not exist. All shots that hit you are deliberate, all evasive manouvers that cause you to miss are likewise.

All shots are aimed directly for your head.

Head on passes are for those that don't enjoy life.

Make your first burst count, you may not get a second; to this end, when you have the advantage of suprise never make a shot you are not certain wont hit.

Never think 'they cant hit me from here', they CAN.

Never think 'they cant get me up here', they CAN.

Never think 'they havent seen me' they HAVE.

500 kph in a dogfight is good life insurance.

Speed is money in the bank, dont waste it!

All tracers point both ways.

A stall means you have done something wrong. Very, very wrong.

Flying bombers is more fun than you think. Gettting shot down in them is much less fun than you think.

The there is a proportional relationship between the amount of ordanance you are carrying and the likelyhood of your being shot down.

All vulchers are compensating for something. They may be the ones responsible for a lot of the peni$ themed spam you recieve as well.

All tactics are valid if the servers allow.

Team killers are a form of life lower than single celled organisms. So are shoulder shooters, gun vulchers, printscreeners, warpers, emergency diconnectors and those idiots who attept takeoffs across field perpendicular to the runway.

If you take the perfect amount of fuel for a dogfight, it will run out.

Excess fuel is always excessive though.

You ammo always runs out when you have a perfect shot.

The guy on your six has unlimited ammo.

Places NOT to be: behind a bomber, in front of a fighter, at sea level, near trees, near houses, near an enemy airfield, under a bridge.

So, if you are flying under a bridge, chasing a bomber back to his base at the nearest town, with a fighter on your six, you may be in a spot of trouble.

A good landing is one you can walk away from. An average landing is one you can run screaming from, especially if you hair is on fire.

A bad landing invloves some or all of the following elements; some smoke, some fire, some damage, no gear, no alierons, no rudder, no elevators, NO HOPE, NO CHANCE, NO LANDING.

You are not as good a shot as you think.

Aggressiveness is the halmark of a good sim pilot.

Agressiveness coupled with bad judgment is the halmark of a lawn dart.

CHECK YOUR SIX!

SlickStick
03-25-2005, 11:28 PM
- If externals are on in a particular server, use them to maneuver, as they are being used to maneuver against you. The same goes for no pit servers.

- Always protect your wingman, as he will return the favor.

- HAVE FUN

- Fly whatever you like and don't concern yourself with what others think about it.

- Trim and flaps are your friends for tighter turns.

- Learn to ride the edge of blackouts.

- Always shoot down the highest point scorer on the server first, to let the rest know you're there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

- The top two skills of a combat pilot are gunnery and situational awareness. All the turning in the world won't help if you can't make the shot when you have it.

- Practice, practice, practice.

- Join a friendly online squadron and receive FREE training to bring yourself up to speed quicker.

- Learn which planes yours can out turn and which it cannot.

- Always fly your plane to its strengths and maximize on your opponent's weaknesses.

- HAVE FUN

- Don't "dummy" down the difficulty settings too much. You'll get better quicker if you keep all on, except maybe starting out with no pit and externals enabled.

- Learn Complex Engine Management. It vastly helps a plane's performance.

- Did I mention to HAVE FUN? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FA_Whisky
03-26-2005, 03:26 AM
Don't do any turnfighting with any other plane than a bomber when you are in a P51

JFC_danger
03-26-2005, 05:58 AM
1, paitence IS a virtue, its not a race,

2, all good things come to those who wait, it will take time to master an aircraft, dont expect to jump in and suddenly become an ACE, it wont happen.

3, 3 second rule, dont fly straight and level for more than 3 seconds in the combat zone and,

4, look around.........

JunkoIfurita
03-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Good advice all, gents...

Keep 'em coming - looks like there is already a flying tips thread stickied so we'll just keep bumping.

Don't forget that before a lot of newcomers can get to flying their planes, they need to get used to all the technical nuances that come with the sim - two more asking how to remove the cover on the ki-43 today, for example. But this is all good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

8. How to get your Water showing pixel-shader waves. (Water=1,2 or 3). First of all make sure you've got a semi-decent graphics card: nothing below a GeForce 5700 Ultra or a Radeon 9600XT. Open your Pacific Fighters directory in the start menu and run the IL2setup program. Now make sure you're running in OpenGL, with the stencil buffer on. For the settings in the video tab, you can usually safely select the profile for your video card and forget it. While you're here, deselect the 'intro' box on the bottom left, if you want to save some time every time you boot the game. Cick OK. Now open your conf.ini (that's located in the directory where you installed the game), and scroll down to the section headed [render_OpenGL]. Under that setting make sure that HardwareShaders=1 is there...if it's 0, you won't get the pretty water. Now, for a decent machine 3.0Ghz, 1 Gig ram, said graphics, you should be able to set the water to water=1, water=2. If you get slow frame rate, drop it back to water=0. If you still have a poor frame rate, set ForceShaders1x to 1, which will give you only semi-pretty water, but a better framerate.

Forget about water=3 (the big, choppy, reflective waves)for the time being - only 6800 Ultra video cards can handle it, and the frame-rate is currently unplayable. SLI setups (that's certain motherboards that can handle TWO 6800 graphics cards...price through the roof) can play it, and so possibly will PCI-express cards, although that is as yet unproven.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
03-27-2005, 04:41 AM
Some planes like the Huricane Mk I an the I-16 don't have fuel injection. If you pull negative G for too long, your engine will cut out. Try to avoid this.

If your engine does cut out (or you accidentally turn the ignition off, doh!) lower your throttle to between 50% and 75%, go into a shallow dive to pick up speed and only then turn on your igntion. Wait until the engine is running properly before throttling up. If this happens to you at less than about 500 meters, bail out rather than try to get your engine stared again, as you quite likely won't have time.

You can move the map around the screen by doing this: Move the pointer over the stitched leather-look boarder. Hold down both mouse buttons. Now you can drag the map around. Centered over your cockpit is a good place as it leaves your outside view clear while checking navigation.

JunkoIfurita
03-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Nice one on the carb planes - I'd forgotten about how often that used to get me.

Bump! Another person asking for Ctrl-D today!

Send 'em this way, people.

----

Crash_Moses
04-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Here's one I don't see mentioned too often.

Playing online the chat window only displays one line of text. This can be a little frustrating (especially on large servers) as system messages and other chat messages can scroll by before you get a chance to read them. Or you have to repeat yourself to make sure your wingman got the message.

You can increase the number of text lines by entering chat mode (` by default) and using your mouse to drag the window down (just like in Windows).

I like to keep mine at four lines. Any more and it starts to block your view. Any less and you still might miss something. Experiment and find what suits you.

S!

CM

JunkoIfurita
04-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Good one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And comin' right back at'cha:

8. If you find that you have too many lines of 'radio chatter' subtitling from the AI pilots on your screen and it's obscuring your view, then fear not! You can set the number of lines in the conf.ini . Look for the setting called SubTitlesLines=(number). I usually set mine to 3 for offline campaigns: one line for each of my wingmen. If you can't find that setting, add it: it goes under the [Game] heading.

----