PDA

View Full Version : I've got a doubt about new processors

mayestdo
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
As you know, IL2 only takes advantage of one of the cores of a multiprocessor. Now I've got an Athlon 64 X2 6400 (3.22 each core). I'm thinking of updating it and buying a new Phenom X4 945 (with four cores, each running 3000 Mhz). May IL2 run slower in this new CPU?

mayestdo
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
As you know, IL2 only takes advantage of one of the cores of a multiprocessor. Now I've got an Athlon 64 X2 6400 (3.22 each core). I'm thinking of updating it and buying a new Phenom X4 945 (with four cores, each running 3000 Mhz). May IL2 run slower in this new CPU?

p-11.cAce
05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm running a Intel Core2 Quad Q8400@2.66GHz and IL2 runs great on it.

grndragon57
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I upgraded from an Athlon 64 X2 4800 @ 3200 Mhz to a Phenom II 720 X3 2800 Mhz. even at stock speed the Phenom benchmarked with a higher min and average FPS on the Black Death and also seemed a little smoother. The Phenom II's overclocked are much better than the Athlon 64 X2.

I got a larger increase upgrading the processor than I did upgrading from my Video card from an 8800 GT to a GTX 260 in IL-2 1946.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
The Athlon and the Phenom series are different CPU's entirely, the Phenoms are faster than the Athlons clock for clock, the Phenom II even more so. Just make sure your motherboard will support it.

Treetop64
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I jumped from a 3.8GHz Pentium4 to a 2.66GHz Core 2 i5 (4 cores) and got a healthy performance increase, not only in IL-2 but in all my other games, including Black Shark, GTR-2, War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition, and a 55GB installation of FSX, .

FSX and War in the Pacific are very CPU dependent, and the latter is a huge, complicated, and data-heavy application written, I think, in Java. Java carries more "overhead" than C++ thanks to it's JVM, but Java's useful because it can be compiled in Mac OS and still be used in Windows, and vice-versa.

Anyways, processors aren't as dependent on their outright clock speed as they used to be, though, even today a higher clock speed is never a bad thing! It's instruction set, how many instructions it executes per cycle, and having multiple physical cores are just as important now. Hence the lower clock speeds but higher performance you see in the current generation of processors.

na85
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Treetop speaks truth. We're long past the days when netburst-based chips were screaming along trying to make up for inefficiency with blazing speed (and searing heat).

VW-IceFire
05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mayestdo:
As you know, IL2 only takes advantage of one of the cores of a multiprocessor. Now I've got an Athlon 64 X2 6400 (3.22 each core). I'm thinking of updating it and buying a new Phenom X4 945 (with four cores, each running 3000 Mhz). May IL2 run slower in this new CPU? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a chance. The new CPU's are a heck of a lot more efficient and powerful than the older ones so even a single core devoted to the game is going to be more powerful than the processors of old. Plus in my mind the bigger gains tend to be in things like reduced power consumption on all but the highest end parts and as a consequence reduced heat. Plus the CPU isn't the only factor in the equation... an all new Core i7 gaming rig has a huge number of architectural changes that make the whole system faster.

CPU used to be the key defining factor but I think you have to look at the system on the whole these days. How everything is connected and talks together is important.

ggb123
05-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Cell processor from PS3 has 1 PPE core distributing data feed to 6 SPE cores. it is the most effecient architecture to run single thread application. I suspect intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge use similar architecture. (purly just a guess http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif)

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-19-2010, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mayestdo:
May IL2 run slower in this new CPU? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. It will absolutely scream on a Phenom X4 965.

Daiichidoku
05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I love my X4 955BE

if you want bang for the buck certainly go for a 945/55/65...OC edition would be good too

you can get a triple core AMD for even elss money still, and 99.9% chance it is one with a good but disabled forth core, that you can enable and get a true quad core (IIRC if AMD finds a fault in one of the cores of a quad core, they take the whole batch it came from and disable the forth core and package/market them as the triple cores)

but AMD also has 6-cores coming out.......

M_Gunz
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
Anyways, processors aren't as dependent on their outright clock speed as they used to be, though, even today a higher clock speed is never a bad thing! It's instruction set, how many instructions it executes per cycle, and having multiple physical cores are just as important now. Hence the lower clock speeds but higher performance you see in the current generation of processors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

25-30 years ago it was the same. A 1mz 6502 (RISC) almost compared to 4mz 8085 (CISC) in not only my experience but
of the EE's that were teaching me the hardware ropes. The assembler manuals gave the cycles and the Intel ran high
especially in things like indirect address instructions. IIRC 6502 had 13 indirect address modes, all fast!

8086/8088/80186/80286 changed that but so did the 68000 family in a much cleaner way.

Pipelines and cores really changed all that.

Clock speed... I'd like to see them get around the need for faster bus/RAM!

Xiolablu3
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
The newer chips do far more work 'per mhz' than the old chips, whether they are quad, dual or single core.

Jumoschwanz
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
My 955 black edition runs great.

I really notice how even if IL2 is running on one core, the other apps like TeamSpeak and HL etc must be running on other cores because they will start and run quickly as if IL2 is not running at all.

The x2 you have probably does a pretty good job though, I don't think it would be worth it to spend any more money on computer components just for IL2 as long as you have 2 gigs of ram and a top-end video card, you should be running it as good as it can be run.

Choctaw111
05-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Il2 may not have been made to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, but I can say for sure that Il2 does run better on 2 cores than just one.
I have tested this many times in the past and Il2 gains a few fps running on 2.
I am using a QX6700.

saipan1972
05-22-2010, 11:41 PM
u can set the config file for multi cores. i cant post the site though.