PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you Med. captains

Horvald
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I am currently thinking about doing a Mediterranean career but I am not sure if its worth it. I havent heard that much from people who are currently doing patrols there. Are there any convoys or even task forces to run into. what kind of boats are you captains using?

Horvald
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I am currently thinking about doing a Mediterranean career but I am not sure if its worth it. I havent heard that much from people who are currently doing patrols there. Are there any convoys or even task forces to run into. what kind of boats are you captains using?

semperfi2005
05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I figure in the Med there would be alot more ships.....and alot more airplanes, British and German

The_Third_Half
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM
LOL
I hope your being sent to sea from an Italian naval base inside the med.

I like hanging around the entrance nailing ships coming in and out. Spent my last 2 patrols there actually, and i don't see how in the hell you'd make into the med-sea. Between the constant air-cover during the day, and the doubleing up of DD's at night ( as if the 10 patroling the entrance isn't enough) i just don't see getting in there as rewarding as it is stressful.
Now i'm sure 5 people will pipe up saying how easy it was for them to slip into the med-sea, well good for you. But in August 1941 in the game im playing.. Ya, i'll just stand out here and look in.

Col_Tibbetts
05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Not true in 42. <- LOL I am a poet and I don't know it!

I am in Feb 42 and I am in and out of the Med on a regular basis. All you need to do is stay in the deepest part of the channel at 150+ meters and glide right through at 1/3 speed. Don't forget to rig for silent running.

Maj_Death
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
You can start your carreer in the med you know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. I did one campaign in the med, it was different but I eventually abandoned it. The med definately has more military targets. On only my second patrol there I thought I heard a convoy with the hydrophones so I went to check it out. It turned out to be 2-3 cruisers and more destroyers than I bothered to count. Convoys come through frequently too. There are several choke points in the med that you can hang around and be garunteed to come within visual range of any convoy that passes by. So in that sense it is real easy to sink ships. The disadvantage is the presence of lots of destroyers, lots of planes and most of the merchants are little ones. It's one of those places where you sink 15 ships in one trip, but your total tonnage is less than 30k.

Horvald
05-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Maj_Death I think I will give it a try then.

ruf9ii
05-04-2005, 01:12 AM
judging by what is being said i must have phenomenal luck. i got me a class 9c and decked it out (am in early 43 atm) and moved from lorient (god awful base) to La Spezia in the med. first patrol, weather has been sunny for the past 'week' and ive downed about 8 small merchants, with near ful complement of fish left. (was using deck gun but run out of ammo and used 2 fish on 2 small merchant).

there are a few planes about tho, i downed one wave of 4 hurricanes 2 days ago, and yesterday i downed another wave of 4 hurricanes. curious thing tho, whenever i get a contact report i just get to the ship before it is attacked by a wing of condors or ju88.

as for shipping, i have only seen small and coastal merchants. nothing else at all, no destroyers or anything. no convoys or task forces either...and i guess going out into the atlantic would be too much effort, going through gibraltar strait and all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif