PDA

View Full Version : What's the Luftwaffe operational radius?

Foehammer-1
01-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Is there a map or something that shows the Luftwaffe coverage. All i have is the Allied coverage throughout the years. It would sure help to know when i can expect an air attack.

Foehammer-1
01-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Is there a map or something that shows the Luftwaffe coverage. All i have is the Allied coverage throughout the years. It would sure help to know when i can expect an air attack.

paulhager
01-29-2006, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Is there a map or something that shows the Luftwaffe coverage. All i have is the Allied coverage throughout the years. It would sure help to know when i can expect an air attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think such a map exists. However, based upon at least a dozen Murmansk missions where the Luftwaffe was involved, between 600 and 700 kilometers seems to be the effective radius of operations. I stated elsewhere that the Condor should have significantly greater range than this. However, the Ju-87 would be hard pressed to operate at this range so the developers probably selected a happy medium, as it were.

Foehammer-1
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
So how far do they go off the west coast of France? Right now im operating out of Brest, and i jsut would wanna know when can i rely on them

HETZER1944
01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
If I remember correctly wasn't the plane Leslie Howard died on shot down by a Condor over the Bay of Biscay?

JU88
01-29-2006, 04:29 PM
There should be alot more Luftwaffe activity between 1939 - 1941. especially over the Channel and North Sea.

We should see Junkers 88 fighter variants over Biscay, they were sent to scare away the nasty hudsons that were preying on Uboats and German shipping in the area, (this was when Herman finally pulled his finger out after much begging from Donitz)
The RAF/CC countered by sending faster and more agile Monsqitos and beaufighters, So long after some ill fated Ju88s join their Uboat comrades at the bottom of the sea -The Luftwaffe finally responds with some single engined Focke Wulf 190's, but by that time the damage was done.

I think the combination of radar equipped mosquitos and a few sneaky british submarines made Biscay very unpleasent for a German vessle of any kind -in a '**** on your doorstep kind of way' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fuel shortages were a major problem for the Luftwaffe towards the end of the war.

How difficult would it have been for Goering to assign 30 or so ME 110s for Biscay air cover? They would have been perfect taking out anything medium/heavy, and would have given the ASW mosquitos a headache.- that said the mosquito Was a lot faster...

paulhager
01-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm unaware of anyone prior to me making systematic use of the Luftwaffe. I would think that in late 1940 through at least late 1941, getting air support from air bases in France should be possible.

I'd recommend using the compass and drawing a circle of radius 500 km from Brest and attempting to call in air strikes on convoys that enter this area. Remember, you can only report convoy contacts.

I consider this to be the "final frontier" of air support.

Trydan
01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:
I'm unaware of anyone prior to me making systematic use of the Luftwaffe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not for lack of trying! I've been sending soooo many reports of convoys that my radio's overheated. But I've yet to see a single German aeroplane. (Year=1943)

paulhager
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trydan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:
I'm unaware of anyone prior to me making systematic use of the Luftwaffe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not for lack of trying! I've been sending soooo many reports of convoys that my radio's overheated. But I've yet to see a single German aeroplane. (Year=1943) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, one key is "range" - the subject of this thread. For a large chunk of their route, Murmansk Convoys are in range.

The other night I followed my suggestion of drawing a circle centered on Brest of radius 500 km. It barely reaches Ireland. Even 600 km doesn't reach very far out.

Another factor is the reduction in the fighting strength of the Luftwaffe as the war progresses. It appears the game models this, as I noted in the Murmansk series. There were lots of planes in 1942 and decent numbers in 1943. Virtually no planes in 1944, however, which is why I've abandoned the Murmansk campaign.

I suggested that from late 1940 (when the French ports become available) to late 1941 or early 1942 (after the war with Russia is underway) is the window when Luftwaffe operations may be possible in the "Atlantic". However, because of range limitations, the Luftwaffe will only be of use against convoys sailing south of Irelane to/from Liverpool.

If it is the case that convoys appear in the Mediterreanean in late 1942 as someone has stated, then air ops there should be possible. I may try that in a future career. It's fairly well established that there are no Med convoys through most of 1942.

It would be nice if the game allowed for Condor ops in 1940 - as I understand it, Condors alone sank a million tons of Allied shipping. That window would be open from 1940 to early 1941. So far as I know, in the game Condors don't operate far from shore.