PDA

View Full Version : Why 1C/Maddox's BOB could be good news for Pacific Fans

Oilburner_TAW
08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Did you read Olegs post about BOB? Did you catch the part about 3rd party planes? Do you realize companies make paid add-on's for IL-2 now?(maybe other companies that aren't afraid of/on good terms with US manufacturer's)?

I know this is a long shot, but hey....

Oilburner_TAW
08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Did you read Olegs post about BOB? Did you catch the part about 3rd party planes? Do you realize companies make paid add-on's for IL-2 now?(maybe other companies that aren't afraid of/on good terms with US manufacturer's)?

I know this is a long shot, but hey....

Waldo.Pepper
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
I get it - Sweet!

Get back to work on those birds then.

stansdds
08-25-2005, 04:02 AM
The missing planes would be great. Missing maps would be great. Not holding my breath.

Oilburner_TAW
08-25-2005, 04:38 AM
He said user's would have ability to make maps and planes and be used without 1c approval in a sort of un-controlled online environment. IF the plane was done correctly/up to standards they would most likely bring it into the fold of their approved planes. It sounds like Oleg is one crafty Russian. They will maintain the current controlled environment that we have now, but also allow for a seperate environment as is currently found in the CFS community.

I think shockwave should talk to 1C and start working on "Pacific Fury add-on for BOB" now so it's ready when BOB is. How awesome would that be?

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 04:52 AM
I'll think i'll stick to the controlled 1C version. Don't have much interest in flying overmodelled UFO monsters which all CFS planes seem to be, especially online.

SeaNorris
08-25-2005, 04:54 AM
That will be bad news, someone could just create a box with big cannon and go 2000mph http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 05:12 AM
The reason why I never played CFS2 online with 3rd party models. Total joke FM's and DM's, usually utterly overmodelled US aircraft.

ElAurens
08-25-2005, 05:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
... usually utterly overmodelled US aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. The one time I went online in CFS2 I was attacked by a Corsair with at least 12 guns on each wing and it was nearly supersonic.

I uninstalled it immediately following that session, and have never considered another open source flight sim...

Bearcat99
08-25-2005, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
The reason why I never played CFS2 online with 3rd party models. Total joke FM's and DM's, usually utterly overmodelled US aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasnt just US aircraft either..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Probably not but those where the ones that seemed to be the worst offenders. I can't say I remember flying a zero that could do 500mph but the occasional Spitfire was a bit extreme.

HoneySeeker
08-25-2005, 06:37 AM
I'd expect this to give us the best of both worlds. After all, off-line one may do what one wishes, without affecting others. Online?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
We also plan to give third party more free hands to build themselves without our control objects, small online maps, planes and cockpits....

DON'WORRY!
This means that we will have two rooms for multiplay:

1. Standard our staff room where custom made third party planes can't fly...
2. the room of online gameplay for our standard set and the planes of third party...

If user community and we ourselves will find that som guy of third party did the right job, then we will move such plane in a standard set as well.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have the standard server, where everyone flies only officially-sanctioned planes; and you have the UFO servers, where presumably everyone picks from the same pool of server-specified planes, and everyone knows and accepts that realistic performance is out the window. And best of all, there's a channel for enthusiasts' models to be tested, approved, and incorporated into the official game if they meet Oleg's standards.

I'd say that we all win.

JG53Frankyboy
08-25-2005, 06:37 AM
you read also this part ?

"DON'WORRY!

2. the room of online gameplay for our standard set and the planes of third party..."

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 06:54 AM
That part is obvious but what does that mean to the community? Will it become fractured?

VW-IceFire
08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
The reason why I never played CFS2 online with 3rd party models. Total joke FM's and DM's, usually utterly overmodelled US aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think we'll manage to avoid that.

The first reason is that the open development areas are one thing and what we're used to as a closed multiplayer environment are another thing. Oleg said that the best of the third party stuff could be accepted into the closed and protected code if the work is good enough. So it'll be a bit like we've got now...which is encouraging because I think we'll see an increase in the potential for MODs that eventually cross the lines and become closed and protected.

Its a smart idea and I think it'll be a good thing.

LEBillfish
08-25-2005, 06:59 AM
At that point I'd have to quit flying PF. 1C must make its mark by "trying" to be unbiased while still making it enjoyable for the less then "historical diehard enthusiast"....So essentially a compromise yet what they are selling is "credibility" to get more "work".

Once it goes 3rd party 1C then free of all responsibility....You'll most likely discover quickly that being a limited life product 3rd party developers primary interest will be sales. In addition they most likely are enthusiasts as well, which means "their believed twist" on how things were no doubt sincerely feeling it with all their heart.

That doesn't make it fact.....So when sales not credibility becomes the focus more so by enthusiasts my guess is you'll see them bending quicker and easier then 1c.

Not a slam, not stating that they don't care, nor that they will try to be unfair.....Just simply the nature of the beast when the "goals" are different.

*smokes her cigarette, ready, aim, fire*....

neural_dream
08-25-2005, 07:07 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif what she said

JG53Frankyboy
08-25-2005, 07:17 AM
and even its not sure if such a "add 3.party modeled planes with limited flightmodelengine"-tool will ever be released as oleg says..........

but, online, and in the FMB, will be than the choice to work only with 1C approved stuff are both.
i see no proplem there.

online wars will happen with the oficial stuff only - if you play with friends you can trust online you can allwo such added planes

VT-51_Razor
08-25-2005, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"DON'WORRY!

2. the room of online gameplay for our standard set and the planes of third party..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder just exactly what he is refering to here. It almost sounds like a 'pay to play' situation. Where are these rooms he is talking about?

waffen-79
08-25-2005, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"DON'WORRY!

2. the room of online gameplay for our standard set and the planes of third party..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This can only mean 1 thing:

C1:Maddox CAN'T model(afford) the 60+ planes that we currently have in the IL-2 series All over again for BOB so to keep everyone satisfied they are giving permission to 3rd patry models to be included, and that of course means:

LO quality models LOTs of hacked planes and separate comunities.

There!

JG53Frankyboy
08-25-2005, 08:26 AM
i still dont get it - you can AVOID these 3.party planes............ so ??

however they will do it - there will be a way.

as best when you can select also in the FMB "only standart stuff".
so , the mission you are building will content only this.

HoneySeeker
08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VT-51_Razor:

I wonder just exactly what he is refering to here. It almost sounds like a 'pay to play' situation. Where are these rooms he is talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd expect it to be a logical next step from the game server applications we have now. One BoB server app would only be able to serve official content, the other would provide the ability to add custom planes to the mix; and it would be up to the server admin to decide which he wanted to run.

Dtools4fools
08-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I thought groups/teams of trusted people might get the tools/map maker to incoporate aircraft/maps into the game.
That would be much different from giving the tools to about anybody.
If those teams work to the guidelines/standards already set, then those add-ons will be like the add-ons we are already used to.

I doubt very much that those tools will become available to just about anybody and allow making Ueberplanes.

LEBillfish
08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dtools4fools:
I thought groups/teams of trusted people might get the tools/map maker to incoporate aircraft/maps into the game.
That would be much different from giving the tools to about anybody.
If those teams work to the guidelines/standards already set, then those add-ons will be like the add-ons we are already used to.

I doubt very much that those tools will become available to just about anybody and allow making Ueberplanes.

**** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm not even so sure that would work as far as "Planes"....Maps, objects, fixes to sim such as adding say a new option for views, or padlocks not a problem (untill read on).

If you have ever read the Beta-testers discussions you can very easily see the bias. It often shown in that the tester seems to only fixate on one type of plane (his favorite)...and in naturally the posts statements such as "but I know the BF-109E4 could shoot down 20 LA7 & 30 P51 for a fact!!" start to peek their way through.....So bias based on be it dollars or favorites OFTEN unintentionally will peek through.

In kind, any development by 3rd party folks that grants access to codes insures hacks/cheats. Not by third party developers, yet by those that "come across in an annonymous email" those codes. We've all seen it...Heck, patch leaks proving it yet more so remember the PF leak...the whole sim!........

So it's my bet if opened up to the public eventually you will find cheats rampant "naturally by those just trying to compete with the cheaters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif".

This would translate to everything, today a plane, tomorrow a cheat where ALL map icons could be seen while all others fly blind, let alone plane hedges "naturally just to make the FM/DM correct http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif"......

So you then hear those say.."well we'll have 2 kinds of servers, open source and stock"......Yet you won't, it will all be open source as the first cheats that would be looked into is HOW TO BYPASS a locked stock game.

It happened even in another "Locked code" sim RB3d....Where in folks invented cheats/hacks...Then discovered ways to trick the game server into thinking they were flying a stock sim so they could use whatever ones they could.

In the end it means one thing without 1C control. Biased FMs/DMs, hacked sim items, hacks to bypass stock servers, lower quality for dollars.

I have GREAT respect for the work 3rd party modelers/programmers do. Actually some of the most creative stuff out there.....However, if inclusion into the sim without 1C control is allowed it will quickly fall apart......Don't believe me?

"Bob: Tom, I want to tell you a secret as you're my bud and know you won't tell anyone else so you can help me, the code is......"

"Tom: Now Mary keep this between us but, I want to tell you a secret as you're my bud and know you won't tell anyone else so you can help me, the code is......"

"Mary: BUNK everyone, I do know what I'm talking about as I have the code and can prove it.... the code is......"

ashley2005
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
if people can add 3rd party planes to bob then i wont be buying at all..itwill suck donky **** .. the reason il2 is so succesful online is cause there is no ability to just add your own planes ..

adding 500000mph flying cows may sound fun at first but after a while it will start to piss people off lol

RolandPeters
08-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Look guys, I am really amazed at a lot of the very negative reactions. Read Oleg's post very carefully (for some people this seems to be impossible time and time again). A lot of the planes we have in IL2/Pacific Fighters are 3rth party so there is (and was) nothing wrong with adding them. WE ALL FLY THEM..... There are however serious issues with getting the planes in the right format for the game. 1C almost always had to work on the models to get them to the right standards. If we have a working environment where you can test the models then 1C will be saved a lot of working. Nowhere is stated the final flightmodel/damagemodel/weaponsmodel is not in Oleg's hand. As long as you stick to the right environment you will not be shot down by a flying brick..... Please read his posts carefully before starting to panick. This solution has nothing to do with the CFS series problems but is nothing more then a brilliant move to open up the sim just enough to encourage thirth party work without losing control........

Normally a lurker but on this one I had to reply.

faelas
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I have to say, while online dogfights seem to hold a lot of interest for people, they lack about 90% of the realism of the offline campaigns. It really cracks me up when people will gripe and moan about the "realism" of a plane's flying characteristics, and then go play with it in a Team Deathmatch style game. No consequences of being shot down. No continuity from one dogfight to the next. Fly as many as 30 different planes. Switch sides any time you want. I mean jesus, is that realism? What good does it do to have a 99% realistic plane that you fly in a 2% realistic scenario? The planes fly great, everything else online is fantasy. So when it comes to using the words "online" and "realism" in the same sentence, anyone who does so just lost all credibility with me.

That said, 3rd party planes used in offline campaigns would be the ultimate gap-filler for all the missing favorites in the IL2 series. No TBD Devastator. No A5M. No Mosquito. No A-36. The list goes on and on. If Oleg can't afford to go on supporting IL2 with more add-ons (or BoB or whatever), then let someone else do it, and get paid. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Majormajor-01
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaNorris:
That will be bad news, someone could just create a box with big cannon and go 2000mph http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They already have. Seem em on TV. Star Trek, The Next Generation. It's called a Borg Cube http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Majormajor-01
Jamming Pentagon computers for over 60 years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JadehawkII
08-25-2005, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RolandPeters:
Look guys, I am really amazed at a lot of the very negative reactions. Read Oleg's post very carefully (for some people this seems to be impossible time and time again). A lot of the planes we have in IL2/Pacific Fighters are 3rth party so there is (and was) nothing wrong with adding them. WE ALL FLY THEM..... There are however serious issues with getting the planes in the right format for the game. 1C almost always had to work on the models to get them to the right standards. If we have a working environment where you can test the models then 1C will be saved a lot of working. Nowhere is stated the final flightmodel/damagemodel/weaponsmodel is not in Oleg's hand. As long as you stick to the right environment you will not be shot down by a flying brick..... Please read his posts carefully before starting to panick. This solution has nothing to do with the CFS series problems but is nothing more then a brilliant move to open up the sim just enough to encourage thirth party work without losing control........

Normally a lurker but on this one I had to reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About time someone said something with reason! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Too many flying off the handle with yer pants down already lamblasting the game before it's even out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
Calm down fellas, I feel BoB is gonna rock and roll. But we'll see wont we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

waffen-79
08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JadehawkII:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RolandPeters:

About time someone said something with reason! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Too many flying off the handle with yer pants down already lamblasting the game before it's even out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
Calm down fellas, I feel BoB is gonna rock and roll. But we'll see wont we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that for sure, based on the screenshots, spitfire cockpit video and the IL-2 series legacy BOB it's going to be AWESOME http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I also know that many planes are 3rd party modeled BUT they were all aproved by C1:Maddox prior release.

But seriously, You think that the planes made by 3rd party without quality control will be as good as the maddox ones?

Just look at the BOB 109e cockpit

RolandPeters
08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by waffen-79:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JadehawkII:

Calm down fellas, I feel BoB is gonna rock and roll. But we'll see wont we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that for sure, based on the screenshots, spitfire cockpit video and the IL-2 series legacy BOB it's going to be AWESOME http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I also know that many planes are 3rd party modeled BUT they were all aproved by C1:Maddox prior release.

But seriously, You think that the planes made by 3rd party without quality control will be as good as the maddox ones?

Just look at the BOB 109e cockpit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's the nice part of the construction, there is quality control. I do not think Oleg will let any of the "ugly" ones into the 1C approved environment. Just think about the high standards Oleg has showed during the past. There are probably going to be cockpits and models which will not be of the same standard as the 1C ones but they will stay in the uncontrolled environment. So yes some of the planes made by 3rd party without quality control will not be as good as the Maddox ones, but if you stick to the standard environment you will never ever have see them...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents, but first of course we have to wait to see how much (if any..) is actually going to be implemented.

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 03:13 PM
This solution has nothing to do with the CFS series problems but is nothing more then a brilliant move to open up the sim just enough to encourage thirth party work without losing control........
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it kind of does and yes, i read olegs post very clearly and understood what he meant to the letter but it doesn't mean i have to agree or like it for reasons i've stated.

its not like oleg has never encouraged third party work, it just has to be 100 percent perfect and you get paid for it.

Oilburner_TAW
08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
My goodness, even some of the most level-headed people here have their queen needles pegged all the way to the right in "full drama" mode.

Please, think beyond the initial situation and READ WHAT HE SAID.

If a plane is created by 3rd party person and MODEL is at 1C standards (disregard DM/FM for a moment), Oleg can "bring it into the fold" and modify the FM and DM easily. Voila! New plane with accurate DM,FM for very little work/cost. Oleg is NOT stupid, I am positive a stipulation in the EULA for the dev tools will be anything that is created can be used by 1C/Maddox either free or for a minimal cost (I'd say free, personally).

Up until this point there was NO WAY to get your favorite plane into il2/pf. Now, the situation exist where the community could make it happen. Imagine a paypal link for people to donate money so that XXX person/company will create YYY plane up to 1C standards.

Once again, I say this is the most exciting news about BOB.

Grey_Mouser67
08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Oleg's sim is what it is today because of third party work....it is because of third party work that he is chartering teams to implement and carry on FB/AEP/PF and extend life for up to two years.

The decision to allow open design of maps and planes and yet have two dogfight rooms is the best of both worlds...the folks that think its bad are most likely onliners....there are a silent majority of offliners...and I do both actually.

Open architecture means we don't have any more Typhoon, Whirlwind, SpitMkXIV and P-51A snafu's or we don't tick Gibbage off so much that he refuses to convert his spit Mk V to a Spit Mk I or refuse to make a P-38F,G, or H. Planeater doens't have to stop development of his P-61...who cares about radar...we got padlock! The Avenger is now flyable and maybe even a Helldiver....

In fact, at the height of CFSII, I had three separate installs...Pacific, eastern front, and Western front...if CFSII had improved their AI, fixed a couple of bugs and improved the scenery over Europe, I'd probably still be flying it and the hundreds of planes avaialble...it just wasn't the same after FB however.

Now there is a huge and talented community of artists and graphical hobbyists who pour hours of hard work into a dump of a sim that is CFSIII. They will be looking for a new challenge and Oleg will give them their release because Microsoft sure won't! If not, they may migrate to BoB...these guys need a new challenge and something new to tackle every few years and with proper SDK's...we will have numerous planes for offline activities and waiting for potential inclusion...and most improtantly we won't have some ridiculous list of planes that people reserve for years and then don't finish...if you like it, build it!

What a concept

WOLFMondo
08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grey_Mouser67:
Open architecture means we don't have any more Typhoon, Whirlwind, SpitMkXIV and P-51A snafu's or we don't tick Gibbage off so much that he refuses to convert his spit Mk V to a Spit Mk I or refuse to make a P-38F,G, or H. Planeater doens't have to stop development of his P-61...who cares about radar...we got padlock! The Avenger is now flyable and maybe even a Helldiver.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd rather wait 2 years to get an excellent model and good fm than have half a dozen mediocre models with very dubious fm's available.

my main argument here is total division of the community. yes, great for the modelling community who are a minority, bad imho for the online community as a whole. it will be split up, fractured and divided between different groups and servers.

Eraser_tr
08-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll think i'll stick to the controlled 1C version. Don't have much interest in flying overmodelled UFO monsters which all CFS planes seem to be, especially online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe the hundreds of independant cfs2 planes that are nearly untrackable, but if you consider avhistory.org FMs for cfs ufos, you are greatly misinformed. Especially in the il2 simmers, I would expect few people to make ufos and go for realism instead.

I read this over at netwings. Very good news indeed, it looks like that long mostly civilized thread about 3rd party addons helped, now I just hope BoB will have carrier support out of the box. I will actually be buying BoB now.

-HH- Beebop
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Personaly I've always been in favor of 3rd party work. I've been wanting more maps/objects/planes etc. Ian Boys airfields for Kurland and Murmansk are wonderful.

See, if the plane was overmodeled, the object not time period correct, or the map not accurate, I wouldn't choose to use it.

CFS II had a "1%" group that tried to model aircraft as close to spec as possible, or so I heard. Now I never used any of that stuff because by the time I got to that point I had discovered IL-2 Sturmovik.

This is much like the "Full Real" debate. If you want to fly "FR", do so. If not, pick the level you like. It's easy to avoid the servers on HL that don't meet your needs. Just look at their settings.
I say let 3rd parties contribute. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's really that simple.

I like where Oleg is headed with this idea. this approach can give us the planes, maps and objects we want and need, faster than IL-2/FB was able to do.

johann63
08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...a Corsair with at least 12 guns on each wing and it was nearly supersonic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

El that sounds kind of cool http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

jarink
08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
My views in a nutshell:

3rd party maps - Yes, excellent idea! This alone would breathe so much life in to PF that I think you'd see a spike in sales. With the notable exception of TBs, we have <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">most</span> of the planes needed for some great 1942-1944 action. What we've lacked (and still lack) are the proper maps to play on. Solomons, Darwin, Indonesia, Philipines.
And frankly if a map isn't quite as 'perfect' as some of the others...it won't really make much difference in the fighting, which is all in the air anyhow.

3rd party planes - BAD IDEA unless there is some sort of vetting process done by 1C to ensure that the model, FM and DM not only are correct, but are unalterable by users. Maybe allow the use of an "1C Approved" label on the box (3rd parties would need to pay a fee or percent of profits to help offset the cost of this vetting process).
If things are opened up willy-nilly, then the community would be fractured, guaranteed.

F4U_Flyer
08-25-2005, 09:47 PM
aren't a lot of the planes in pf et all 3rd party addons already ok'd by ic? If so im sure there not going to let in the 60 gun 2000 mph corspitstang! if it makes a better pacific game im all for it!

Popey109
08-25-2005, 11:06 PM
All I know is this could alowe people to creat a new WWI sim...how cool would that be! useing BOB game engine...if it could be done to Olegs standards? with 6dof?...well, it would be hard to beat. move over MS http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HoneySeeker
08-26-2005, 05:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F4U_Flyer:
aren't a lot of the planes in pf et all 3rd party addons already ok'd by ic? If so im sure there not going to let in the 60 gun 2000 mph corspitstang! if it makes a better pacific game im all for it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are no planes added by 3rd-party add-ons (I think this goes for maps too). The only way to get a new plane into the current series is in one of the official add-ons or patches, which come from Oleg and his team. He, therefore, has final say on what goes in.

WereSnowleopard
08-26-2005, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
... usually utterly overmodelled US aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. The one time I went online in CFS2 I was attacked by a Corsair with at least 12 guns on each wing and it was nearly supersonic.

I uninstalled it immediately following that session, and have never considered another open source flight sim... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really?...interesting information. It sound like hardcore "Mechwarrior" fans did that!