PDA

View Full Version : 56K ok online?

JJMcBlaster
01-28-2005, 02:31 PM
When I can actually hit something, I may want to join an online group. But, will a 56K hookup handle it?

Thanks- JJ

JJMcBlaster
01-28-2005, 02:31 PM
When I can actually hit something, I may want to join an online group. But, will a 56K hookup handle it?

Thanks- JJ

JG52Uther
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
You should be ok.At least one of my squadmates is on 56k and he does ok.I think some of it might depend on the server you join.

voyager_663rd
01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
and the computer you are running the game on combined with your game settings.

Lav69
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
I dont know how true this is, but I have heard that the better your connection speed is, the more VULNERABLE you are online. Packet loss or something. Like I said, something I heard. Could be total cr@p.

blairgowrie
01-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I usually connect at 26.4 kbps and have no problems on North American servers provided they don't set the ping rate too low.(below 300). I flew on a server in France the other day and my ping rate was 1800 and I was politely asked to leave. The manual says you should try and connect with a server that is no more than 1500 miles away.

Flying on-line is a totally new experience and most enjoyable. Try to get in a group if you can, with a direct connect and not Hyperlobby. Nothing against HL but I have much better results with the group I fly with on a direct connect.

I would kill for a high speed connection but where I live, there is nothing available. Not even wireless.

Taylortony
01-28-2005, 03:56 PM
GO FOR IT
I ran IL2FB on a 56K connection for a year no problem, True I got kicked from the odd game but i could have counted them on one hand....

SO DON'T PONDER ABOUT IT BUT GET ONLINE

You just don't realise what you are missing until you fly it online against people less intelligent than the AI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

blairgowrie
01-28-2005, 04:34 PM
You just don't realise what you are missing until you fly it online against people less intelligent than the AI

Taylortony. Now that is really funny but so true.

HW3
01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I fly on dialup also and as long as I stay in rooms of 6-8 people or less, I have no problems. I stay out of rooms with more people to avoid messing their flights up with my higher ping of 400+.

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-28-2005, 05:48 PM
You should have no problem playing online with a 56k as long as its a good stable provider. With 56k you have very little overhead, so your provider needs to be stable. On a server of 40-45 players, you only need to send data at 2k/sec and receive it at 3.5k/second, provided the server admin has the server config properly. I have seen many 56k users fly on the server with 40+ players and not have one problem doing so aside from teh occasional lag kick they get once in awhile.

repoman11
01-28-2005, 08:13 PM
It can work very well. You just have to be choosy about your servers.

Though they are expensive, hardware modems are by far the best for gaming. Something like U.S. Robotics 2977. It may connect at a slower speed and still give you a lower ping than a software modem.

Lucky for me Greatergreen is relatively close geographically, keeping my ping in the low 200s with a 28.8 connection. I used to play on Warclouds often, but not since they tightened up the ping kick. I get brief spikes over 400 on that server, and of course it is all over.

Of course, the use of comms is out of the question, which can be a significant disadvantage if your opponents are using them. But it still beats playing offline.

SlickStick
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
I was without cable for a few months and flew on AOL. I pinged low 200mS to most servers and experienced little packet loss.

As someone alluded to above, this game seems to favor the slower connection, unlike past games where a faster connection seemed more beneficial.

I could swear I was harder to shoot down during those few months on 56K. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Amon26
01-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I have a horrid ISP connection, but I could still get it to connect. You really should try, even if it's a bit jumpy it's a real treat.

Troll2k
01-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Joining a server on 56k is usually not a problem.

However hosting is another kettle of kippers.

Lucius_Esox
01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Taylortony lol, that is so un pc man but it is so true. Of course the down side is so is the opposite as well!

Taylortony
01-29-2005, 03:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Taylortony lol, that is so un pc man but it is so true. Of course the down side is so is the opposite as well! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif