PDA

View Full Version : I-16 and others | Engine problems

OneillSGT
04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I-16 and other planes i flew sometimes had engine problem, when i pulled my stick forward for them to lower altitude, the engine stopped running and it was reallly hard to make it start again, why does this happens?
is there some mechanical flaw in the airplane?

thanks.

FI-Aflak
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
the fuel feed is gravity-dependant, so the engine gets no gas when you hit negative g's

Just roll over and pull up . . .

early mark hurricanes, I-153, most of the biplanes, etc. have this setup.

LilHorse
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
If you're not fishing here's the answer: float carburator. These engines didn't have pressurized fuel flow in their carbs, just a regular gravity fed float feed. Negative Gs will cause the float to bob up and cut off fuel supply, thus the engine cuts out.

To avoid this when you want to dive, roll the plane and pull through (split S).

OneillSGT
04-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Awesome =D
thanks guys, this is my favorite plane ATM and i didnt know why it happened, i just knew how to avoid it, thanks for the help xD

LEXX_Luthor
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
One of my Fave subjects, and one that gave me Fits when I first started out over teh FB.

The following planes can suffer engine stoppage under negative gee when you push the stick forward too hard and for too long...

I~16
I~153
CR.42
G.50
Hurricane
P11c
J8A ("Gladiator")

However, the Polikarpovs and Fiats required external engine starters on the ground, so you have to have good airspeed turning the prop to start them again...about ~200km/hr maybe. The other planes start engine at any speed, even Zero speed.

Engine start can take time and if you are low and slow you don't have time. Also, not all engine re~starts are successful -- watch your engine guages. I don't use sound in game (I jam stereo) so I depend on the guages. Watch them as you play with restart and throttle operation. It also helps when using Complex Engine Management to watch your guages as you climb to altitude needing Fuel Mixture adjustment.

Over at teh sinhq, they say He~162 also suffers negative gee engine stoppage at times, have not tried it though.

Flying in turbulent rain/stormy weather can also cut your engine in these planes. Watch your guage needles jump up and down.