PDA

View Full Version : Skin Download...........

LEBillfish
12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Salute All~!!;

No doubt this has been discussed before my time coming here, and I mean this all more in the form of a question then anything. Yet I'd like to ask about skindownloading & why it is done the way I "assume" it to be.

Currently many online servers & players fly with skin download "off". I've heard many reasons though I know for myself it is simply a matter of the sim lags throughout the entire game if I have it on, and I have a respectably fast PC and connection.

First off, I guess I'm curious as to why skins are loaded with such a coded name vs. how they are in ones paint files (what I find when I check net cashe)?

Next does IL2 if I already have a skin loaded in my files "Not" download it instead using what is already on my pc?

The reson I ask this is in RedBaron3d, skins were downloaded and arranged by the end user, if another player was utilizing "X" skin, the information that was transfered between players was merely a code of say 101-12 Meaning the Squadron/player paint 101-Fokker DVII.

Granted, here we have considerably more skins, planes and players then RB3d....Yet I always wondered why such simple coding could not allow players to "not" have to download if they already have it. Hence reducing the lag only downloading what was lacking. More so, if the files were saved in net cashe by their actual file name, then it would be easy to transfer them to further reduce lag the next time you saw it used.

Essentially...Information would be transferred as follows...Plane-Type-Folder\File-name...Lets say A6m2\BobsSkin.bmp....

What would then occur is quite simply when the transfer of skins begins first a check is made client side to see if that file exists in the appropriate folder. If yes correct or not, it is used. If not and "skin download" is on, then the file is transfered as it is now yet retains the original name.

Now this "might be" how it is done now, or there may be many reasons why it should not be. What I do know is the feature of skins due to the lag is unusable by me currently even with my above average pc and connect. More so I know that if I want to see the skins in cache, I must rename them to something workable and will only be using them for myself. As to see another using the same skin requires I "re-download" it over and over...

So any idea's as to the why's and reasons? I'd like to see others skins in use by them, it just currently not practical for me. The feature of skin downloading is a wonderful one, just I wonder if it is being used to the greatest advantage it could be.

Bearcat99
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Im surprised this has had no responses.. I like the skins and up until relatively recently I thought that once in the cache the sklins did load up quicker.. but that isnt always the case it would seem.

WUAF_Badsight
12-09-2004, 10:07 PM
ive had the same skin load into my cach multiple times , each one had a different name

rummyrum
12-10-2004, 09:39 AM
To some degree it works as it should but only through the net cache.

You choose a skin to fly with and it is subsquently loaded up to the other fliers. It is given a special filename (we all have opened the cache folder and seen the skins named (sdfsdkjfwe33242342342). Next time you are on that server with some of the same pilots as before the skin will be displayed,but only if it was completly uploaded. Problem is that many folks fly numerous types of planes interupting the transfer. I tend to fly squad coops where downloads are availiable. User skins will instantly appear w/o the need to download (not sure they still dont transfer though). If you alter a specific skin of your then it will have to be uploaded once again. Problem is that there are too many great skins and too many planes. If skin downloads is turned on in a DF server you would spend much bandwidth receiving and sending all the various user skins you dont completly have as well as all the interuptions to the transfer when someone changes planes and uses another custom skin.

I have not looked into it too much but perhaps the best way to name the custom skins is by the hash number used in the transfer. From there the skin could be placed in the netcache and maybe cut back on some of the transfers since we all frequent il2skins.

Just me thinks on the topic.

LEBillfish
12-10-2004, 06:42 PM
hmmm...well I started a new thread seeing as there are no firm answers addressing it to oleg/1c.....comment in it if you see a point needing to be changed.

Copperhead310th
12-11-2004, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
ive had the same skin load into my cach multiple times , each one had a different name <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's beacuse the diff. players are using the same skin. you have downloaded the same skin from differant sources. Which is why should never empty your net cach for skins.

from what i understand (lest back in old IL-2 days) is that skins will load faster if they remain in your net cach. (same with missions i think) Another thing to note...a lot of online players tend to frequent the same servers over and over again. (like F-16, Warclouds, greater green ect.) and typically will fly with the same group of ppl on a regular basis. Even more so for squadrons. I typically fly the same skins over and over 70 to 80% of the time.
So ppl i fly with on a regular basis that already have my skin in thier cach should load it faster provided they haven;t dumped ther net cach. that's my understanding of it. i could be wrong.

IV_JG51_Razor
12-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Good topic. I've always been under the impression that you would get better performance (FPS, less stutters, etc) online if you regularly emptied your skin net cache. I guess not, eh?

Copperhead310th
12-11-2004, 08:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
Good topic. I've always been under the impression that you would get better performance (FPS, less stutters, etc) online if you regularly emptied your skin net cache. I guess not, eh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well don't quote me on that one Razor.
that's just they way i unsdertood it worked.
i may be wrong. Only Oelg would know for sure.

IV_JG51_Razor
12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
"Only Oelg would know for sure."

Yeah, ain't that the way it is with a lot of this game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif