PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a barrel rolling inept- HELP!

Haigotron
04-11-2006, 07:48 AM
here's another secret shame - http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

I cant properly barrel roll - I find i immediately stall, or lose all my E, and not even accomplish the roll fully.

I can roll regurarly, and I can manage a scissor with an enemy, but doing a barrel roll is still a weak point.

I believe the problem is my preparation of the execution...do I dip my nose? do i roll slighly in the opposite direction first? how much do I pull on the stick before, during...alas...

Btw, what's the diff b/w a high G barrel roll and a regular barrel roll?

Now if you don't mind, I will squeeze myself under the living room sofa, and chew on the foam...

Haigotron
04-11-2006, 07:48 AM
here's another secret shame - http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

I cant properly barrel roll - I find i immediately stall, or lose all my E, and not even accomplish the roll fully.

I can roll regurarly, and I can manage a scissor with an enemy, but doing a barrel roll is still a weak point.

I believe the problem is my preparation of the execution...do I dip my nose? do i roll slighly in the opposite direction first? how much do I pull on the stick before, during...alas...

Btw, what's the diff b/w a high G barrel roll and a regular barrel roll?

Now if you don't mind, I will squeeze myself under the living room sofa, and chew on the foam...

Bongokid
04-11-2006, 08:25 AM
ok. no expert here but I'll try to describe what I do when i think to be performing a barrel roll

for a clockwise barrel roll :

gather speed
lift the nose 30? and while applying left rudder begin gently rolling the plane to the right. try to control the speed of your roll so as to paint a circle on the horizon with your gunsight, with the center of the circle on the horizon line. you'll probably have to pull the stick a bit in the end to avoid your nose dropping too much. You should end up having rolled 360? in the same direction as in the beginning. The whole procedure may take 5-10 sec. If you put on wing smoke and save a track you shoult see your plane draw a spiral in the air.

well...thats what i do anyway...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bongokid

GreyBeast
04-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Easy.

To the right:

Initiate the barrel roll, moving the stick from centered to full right (call it "three o'clock"). Following on with this analogy, move the stick to two o'clock, one o'clock, then twelve o'clock. By now you should be halfway through your barrel roll and inverted. Notice you are pushing the stick forward to push the nose down (up and away from the ground). Then move back to one o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock and then to center to exit the roll and return to straight and level.

If you picture what you just did, it's basically tracing and arc from 0º to 90º, Eeast to North, whatever you want to call it.

Obviously, barrel rolls to the left go like this:

From center to 9, 10, 11, 12 o'clock (now you're inverted)
Then back 12, 11, 10 ,9 and center stick.

BrewsterPilot
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey GreyBeast, since you are a member of IL2 Air-Racing, someone mentioned a countdown that you could download from somewhere and use in-game when you want to start a race. Any idea from where I might get it?

Thanks!

GreyBeast
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Sure, you mean the starter scripts.

Download them here: http://www.simairracing.com/racing/StarterScripts.zip

IIRC, there's a readme file somewhere in there. They're easy to edit once you understand the syntax, if you want to change them, that is.

Have fun with them.

BrewsterPilot
04-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

BrewsterPilot
04-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Works as a dream, thanks again!

GreyBeast
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Glad to hear that. By the way, IIRC, there are two versions, one with regular intervals in-between call-outs, and others with different delay times before the GO GO GO appears. That's to prevent people from anticipating the start of the race.

Haigotron
04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
THANK YOU ! That's such a simple way to put it!

I shall barrel roll into the enemy, instead of just ramming him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What about speed and such? Do i try to go as fast as possible or slow down sometime during the execution?

GreyBeast
04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Well... now you're getting into the details...

I guess the part about speed is different for each aircraft. Personally, I doubt modifying speed as you go through the barrel roll will noticeably influence its "smoothness", as you're probably done with it before you can feel any significant increase or decrease in forward momentum.

I do believe, though, that rudder input to some extent is necessary. Some aircraft need it, some don't. As far as "tracing the arc" is concerned, I find some aircraft need not go to full "12 o'clock" while inverted to stay level to the line of flight. That, I believe, must have something to do with the center of gravity of the aircraft, as some barrel roll easily while others get really messy and "wobble" while you're doing the barrel roll.

I'm no expert, so don't count on that last part to be accurate.

Oh, and thanks for taking back your thread, sorry about the hijack.

rnzoli
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
What about speed and such? Do i try to go as fast as possible or slow down sometime during the execution? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now I risk being ridiculed by the experts, but anyway...

IMO you will lose speed in the barrel roll (a.k.a. displacement roll). So no need to slow down. If you don't want to lose much speed just spoil the aiming, the displacement is small, you closely circle around your main travel vector. AFAIK this is a normal low-G barrel roll, not much energy is lost, and your main longitudonal travelling speed remains high, too. However, when you pull hard during the barrel roll, you will lose more energy, as well as the your speed along the main travel direction will be lower. This I think is the high G roll, much wider than the simple one, and also risking a black-out.

Okay, now the fun can begin. What did I say wrong? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Haigotron
04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, and thanks for taking back your thread, sorry about the hijack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

loooool, didnt even realise it...but you have the right to, cuz your explanation worked like clockwork!

Also, is it normal that (i only tried it with the spit) its easier to roll coutner clockwise, then clockwise?

does it have to do with the prop rotation?

Haigotron
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This I think is the high G roll, much wider than the simple one, and also risking a black-out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! excellent! thanks! that makes sense!

Wow it even worked agaisnt a bf109 veteran AI, he completely missed and overshot!...too bad I tried climbing up after him....(i usually play blue -force of habit)