PDA

View Full Version : Strafing ships

ibeagle
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Is it possible to silence shipbourne AA with machine gun strafing a la Kenney's B25 skip bombing runs? That would be sweet. Haven't noticed any effects myself, but apparently worked quite well in New Guinea. Zenos got film of B25 strafing runs on at the mo. There's so much smoke coming off the 50 cals, I thought the plane was on fire! Awesome firepower. Will we ever have a flyable 14 gun B25?

ibeagle
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Is it possible to silence shipbourne AA with machine gun strafing a la Kenney's B25 skip bombing runs? That would be sweet. Haven't noticed any effects myself, but apparently worked quite well in New Guinea. Zenos got film of B25 strafing runs on at the mo. There's so much smoke coming off the 50 cals, I thought the plane was on fire! Awesome firepower. Will we ever have a flyable 14 gun B25?

georgeo76
04-29-2006, 11:09 PM
The short answer is no, the enemy AI isn't intimidated by your firing and (as far as ships go) can't be killed by it. Only the destruction of the ship will shut them up. On the other hand, you can kill individual crew members in enemy aircraft.

MadRuski
04-29-2006, 11:16 PM
actuly i have encounterd ships shooting at me wen their sinking, and i have killed some AAA gunners by cannoing, but its hard as hell

FritzGryphon
04-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Unprotected ship guns can be killed, in most of the newer ships, with all types of weapons.

Try, for example, taking out the gunners on a Lexington with a Hurriane IIB.

But, it takes such a number of hits as to make it impractical. For example, you have to concentrate a length burst of machine gun fire on an individual gun to destroy it. You can really only kill one per pass, and even that is difficult.

WWMaxGunz
04-29-2006, 11:25 PM
I thought I saw an update a ways back where a bomb could destroy the guns themselves even if
the ship was not sinking. Like 2 or 3 positions were shown 'blowed up real good'.

The AA gun mounts had armor to a point but if that gun is gonna continue firing when the shots
are all around... you have to destroy the guns. Maybe too much load for many crewman AI's and
3D models that can be hit, shoot, drive, etc. Way too much. So there is the gun that shoots
by itself and only way to stop it is to destroy it.
Can destroying a mission target be made to cause a gun to stop firing?

FritzGryphon
04-29-2006, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can destroying a mission target be made to cause a gun to stop firing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Just destroying a ship can be a target.