PDA

View Full Version : About the skip-time feature and the general attitude here

glottis77
10-25-2004, 01:54 AM
i'm a long time (day1) IL2 fan, and as such i did not only buy everything of the IL2 series but of course also PF, which hopefully will arrive today.
i'm a bit worried about what i read here, since i guess people who say the product is not 100% finished may be right. however oleg and the team will surely fix this, and i for myself will not mind playing online/QMB until some things are sorted out.
what however disturbs me is how some of the hard-core fans here defend the production team against people who may be new to the series and have issues or even whose hopes have been disappointed. i am the first to say that the kind of committment and support oleg has given us over the years is awesome and the best i've ever seen. however if people here get offended or virtually thrown out from this board for committing what might in your eyes be "blasphemy" - well, i think you who do that are on the wrong track.
finally coming to the skip time thing: well i am shocked by descriptions of this feature, because in the current state who can fly normal missions? i work between 9-10 hours per day and don't have a wife/mother running around taking care of everything. if i have 1 hour for gaming a day that's already plenty. now i leave doing the math to you. and no, i don't think that doom3 is the only game that should be accessible for people like me.
so just once more: if people come here and say that they were ripped off etc.etc.etc. i understand that you get in oleg's defence because the price/quality ratio in his games and in his support are second to none. however if people rant about something which definivetly is "new" like the skip-time thing then please relax and think before you bark.

glottis77
10-25-2004, 01:54 AM
i'm a long time (day1) IL2 fan, and as such i did not only buy everything of the IL2 series but of course also PF, which hopefully will arrive today.
i'm a bit worried about what i read here, since i guess people who say the product is not 100% finished may be right. however oleg and the team will surely fix this, and i for myself will not mind playing online/QMB until some things are sorted out.
what however disturbs me is how some of the hard-core fans here defend the production team against people who may be new to the series and have issues or even whose hopes have been disappointed. i am the first to say that the kind of committment and support oleg has given us over the years is awesome and the best i've ever seen. however if people here get offended or virtually thrown out from this board for committing what might in your eyes be "blasphemy" - well, i think you who do that are on the wrong track.
finally coming to the skip time thing: well i am shocked by descriptions of this feature, because in the current state who can fly normal missions? i work between 9-10 hours per day and don't have a wife/mother running around taking care of everything. if i have 1 hour for gaming a day that's already plenty. now i leave doing the math to you. and no, i don't think that doom3 is the only game that should be accessible for people like me.
so just once more: if people come here and say that they were ripped off etc.etc.etc. i understand that you get in oleg's defence because the price/quality ratio in his games and in his support are second to none. however if people rant about something which definivetly is "new" like the skip-time thing then please relax and think before you bark.

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Try the Quick Mission Builder for fast missions.

HyperSpace Jump or Space Warp only works for the One Ace Air Force sim. Although its not Flyable, the Ki~46 could create its own jump point despite its relatively small size, as it had some Vorlon tech in its construction.

The alternative is fly missions that have airfields very close to frontline. Eastern Front simming would be advised. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Or fly defensive intercept missions over the FP. Defending Japan on that Japan map looks interesting (doesn't look like many airfields in Japan though).

glottis77
10-25-2004, 04:52 AM
...but what speaks against a good time-compression or a 'warp'-feature.
who does not want to use it should simply not use it.

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2004, 05:05 AM
FP has time compression. Every doubling of time speed means half the maximum possible aircraft or surface units your computer can handle.

Hyperspace Jump you can't use it except for One Ace Air Force sims...or maybe fake "trigger" AI planes that pop~up like IE popups, haven't thought about that. I guess the olde sims were like that, so we got used to it.

glottis77
10-25-2004, 08:19 AM
well i don't know anthing about programming a game. is it really impossible to calculate the events for lets say 100 planes over a 60 minute period in about a 100th of that time? especially with grafics disabled for the calculation time? on a 3ghz machine with 1gb of ram?

glottis77
10-25-2004, 05:23 PM
hump-de-dump-de-bump-de

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Yes its impossible. Although Rowan's BoB and MiG~Alley had programming that reduced AI calculations far away from your cockpit--combat that happens on the other side of the map for example. A kind of "accuracy bubble" that surrounds your Player plane. If it gives expected results for campaign battle then fine, if not its no good unless you are One Ace Air Force.

...not that AI always gives "expected" results even with full calculations http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif (another well known issue)