PDA

View Full Version : Simulations of Internal Sub Destruction

WAIKEONG
09-29-2005, 11:05 AM
In the event of fatal hits or collisions, I think it would be good
to have animations of the Command Room being smashed,
the ocean rushing in thru great gaps, explosions, steel
shattering and the crew drowning, thrown upside down and yelling for their lives, for more realism. Animations in other
parts of the sub like the Engine or Torpedo Compartments
would also be nice.

Apart from the external hull destruction simulations in collisions
or rammings, all we see is just a small fountain leak and maybe flashing lights in the Command Room, the crew jostling about and then the menu suddenly tells you that you have been sunk -
game over.

WAIKEONG
09-29-2005, 11:05 AM
In the event of fatal hits or collisions, I think it would be good
to have animations of the Command Room being smashed,
the ocean rushing in thru great gaps, explosions, steel
shattering and the crew drowning, thrown upside down and yelling for their lives, for more realism. Animations in other
parts of the sub like the Engine or Torpedo Compartments
would also be nice.

Apart from the external hull destruction simulations in collisions
or rammings, all we see is just a small fountain leak and maybe flashing lights in the Command Room, the crew jostling about and then the menu suddenly tells you that you have been sunk -
game over.

Kaleun1961
09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Can we imagine a few years down the road, with gaming technology developing force-feedback where this could lead? You could be sitting in your chair, and when your character is hit, you feel the impact through your chair.

I've heard that there are military flight simulators that model damage, to the extent that the pilots in these simulators can actually be injured and bruised. I don't know if this is true or myth, but it is certainly "do-able" with current technology.

XDRHicks
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
if the damage you desribed happened at depth, the implosion would be virtually instantaneous, likened to you stamping on a beer can (cola if your not old enuff for beer), instant death for the crew too...but like I said, depends on the depth the sub is at

Excalibur688
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Speaking of depth.....ive been bombed and severly damaged. I submerged to get away only to see the stern sinking, I figured that since I was in shallow water (30meter) I could just sit on the bottom and repair.....once the damage was too much and the sub was sunk....the crew could have escaped andswam to the surface.....another instance I took enough damage and managed to surface with sever flooding....sent in the boys to repair and ill be danged if I didnt sink....now I never slipped beneat the waves but that dreaded screen popped up game over with the sub still on the surface....sunk..lol. So now im alot careful since this is my third career and I play DiD (dead is dead).

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-29-2005, 05:02 PM
More detail more money. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif so fork over $60-70 and youl get it. But I aint paying yhat much.

Daloten
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
More detail more money. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif so fork over $60-70 and youl get it. But I aint paying yhat much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would gladly pay $60-70 if the quality was excellent. I'd love to see a game made with such attention to detail and done with great skill. To me, paying that kind of money would be better than shelling out $30-40 for something that plays poorly (not that I'm saying SH3 does) and I lose interest in quickly.

It would be great if developers shifted their business model from banging out sequels and copy-cat software, to a model where quality and attention to detail are the focus. If that were the case, I'd probably pay $90-100 for really top-notch software. When you consider the cost of business software, such as QuickBooks for example, many of these programs are $150 and up. And they are far less sophisticated (graphically, programming-wise, etc.) than even average quality games of today.

bunkerratt
09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
hell i'd give up the cash for it see above post ..said it all in that

zuluDROOG
09-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Just found this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Press Release 26-09-05, Logitechā® announce upcoming release of new force-feedback products
with "Hydro-forceā©" technology. According to the announcement the new USB 2.0 based peripherals
will enhance current force-feedback joysticks and wheels by adding an element of realism to
water based games such as UbiSoft's highly successful Silent Hunter III and other aquatic
software simulations and games.

As CEO William Brighten explains "The aquatic sim market has been wholly ignored in the past
and it is high-tide we started targeting this flourishing community with more mature and
exclusive products...".

He was speaking specifically about the new Hydro-Force Sub-sploder which (when activated)
sprays the gamer with anything from a fine mist to a veritable torrent of H2O whenever their
simulated vessel encounters a watery hazard.

Anti-Violence Games Activist groups have already condemned the product as being insensitive to
the growing need to conserve water in various parts of the world and have vowed to lobby for
the removal of the product.</pre>

WAIKEONG
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
As XDRHicks explained above, internal simulations of
implosions at depth would be virtually impossible, and
I had overlooked that.

However, I had thought that deformations of the hull took
place at stages, as the submarine descended slowly to
fatal depths, before finally imploding altogether. If so, it
would be great to see an external simulation of this, though
I guess this would demand quite state-of-the-art graphics
programming and 3D cards too.

One more thing which I had wanted to bring up earlier.
There are no external air bubbles when the sub blows
its tanks, let alone sounds. The only indication of this is
when the Captain shouts the order, and the sub rises.
I think this is quite a vital simulation for game realism.

The_Silent_O
09-30-2005, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zuluDROOG:
Just found this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Press Release 26-09-05, Logitechā® announce upcoming release of new force-feedback products
with "Hydro-forceā©" technology. According to the announcement the new USB 2.0 based peripherals
will enhance current force-feedback joysticks and wheels by adding an element of realism to
water based games such as UbiSoft's highly successful Silent Hunter III and other aquatic
software simulations and games.

As CEO William Brighten explains "The aquatic sim market has been wholly ignored in the past
and it is high-tide we started targeting this flourishing community with more mature and
exclusive products...".

He was speaking specifically about the new Hydro-Force Sub-sploder which (when activated)
sprays the gamer with anything from a fine mist to a veritable torrent of H2O whenever their
simulated vessel encounters a watery hazard.

Anti-Violence Games Activist groups have already condemned the product as being insensitive to
the growing need to conserve water in various parts of the world and have vowed to lobby for
the removal of the product.</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, ZULUDroog...I read every word of it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

but, I'm going to save up for the next version, that not only sprays you with water, BUT, has the ability to launch loose bolts at your face an near bullet speeds (bolts and batteries not included

...I've also heard they are looking into high pressure chambers that use the USB 2.0 connection...You get in and if you sink, it sucks all the air out and the chamber door locks!

zuluDROOG
09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Silent_O:
but, I'm going to save up for the next version, that not only sprays you with water, BUT... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ooooh... nice! I hear that this version also has the Olfacto-Force feature! (injects smells of sweaty socks and Frenzen's Farts(tm) into the air three days after leaving port).