PDA

View Full Version : Tempest vs. Dora - which is better ???

Yak_Ace
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
How do you think: what plane is now better in our game??? I flew Tempest many times against Dora on-line and off-line but I am not certainly convinced which of them is largely superior.

Yak_Ace
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
How do you think: what plane is now better in our game??? I flew Tempest many times against Dora on-line and off-line but I am not certainly convinced which of them is largely superior.

Brain32
02-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Really can't say, they seem so close that I think it's a matter of perference, I would choose Tempest but some other may choose Dora...

jimDG
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Tempest can outturn, outgun and outrun a dora. A Dora can outaccelerate the tempest, and doesnt overheat that badly. Dive seems to be the same.
So, in 1vs 1 - the tempest. 2vs.2 - equals.

MystiqBlackCat
02-16-2006, 10:15 AM
i think it depends on what altitude the fight is at too, the tempest, if memory serves, is a mid to low level aircraft. Dora is more mid to high.

So Tempest down low, Dora up high....

WOLFMondo
02-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Tempests peak power is 18,000fthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

All in my opinion but the Dora is my favorite plane in this sim but I am taking to the Tempest allot.

The Dora is faster at some heights, the Tempest at others. The Tempest has much better guns but the placement is better on the Dora. Dora rolls better , Tempest turns better. Dora has better rear view, Tempest has a better downward, side and front view, Dora climbs and zoom climbs better but the Tempest dives allot better.

Hard to say, I think the Dora is better. I'd say re evaluate after 1) a few weeks flying the Tempest and 2) reassess after a more appropriate Tempest is available that actually fought the Dora in 1945 i.e. a Series II with a IIB engine at 11lbs or 13lbs boost.

JG5_UnKle
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
dora imho

mynameisroland
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
At the moment Iam with WolfMondo, I love both types but the current Tempest we have is outclassed as a pure fighter when compared to the Dora 9 44 model.

A good way to check this is if you test a QMB and fight against 4 x Bf 109 G10's try it at 2000m in the Tempest, then try it in the Dora.

I find it better to compare each other fighting against other types rather than fighting against each other it gives you a good idea of what each are capable of against a constant factor. Pitting them against each other online introduces pilot skill in to the equation and you could come up against a guy in a Fiat G.50 and he may kick your butt but it doesnt mean the Fiat is better than your aircraft.

Id take the Tempest over any Fw 190 for a ground attack mission hovever.

TX-Zen
02-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I choose Dora because I've been flying it for so long.

If a new plane can't exceed the La7, Yak3 or Spit in energy ability, then it's nothing particular to worry about. If as a Dora pilot you can handle those, then anything that comes along which isn't superior shouldn't be much of a problem.

AustinPowers_
02-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Dora is better.

anarchy52
02-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Pretty close, but D-9 has the advantage of acceleration and climb, while Tempest has the advantage of durability, guns, horizontal manuever at mid and especially low speed, maybe dive. In the end D-9 pilot should keep the fight in the vertical and force Tempest into hard evasive manuevers. Good pilot in D9 will win against good pilot in Tempest, with less experienced pilots, Tempest will have the edge because of better turn.

Cajun76
02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
P-11 owns both. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Moot piont. When you see one, land or bail immediately. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WOLFMondo
02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Zen, the Tempest should be a good energy fighter and I think it is if you watch the trim allot, it outclassed the Spitfire XIV and P51 in zoom climb and dive as well as sheer speed at low and medium altitudes. I know I need more practice, allot more, I'm still getting used to 4 wing mounted cannons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
I love both types but the current Tempest we have is outclassed as a pure fighter when compared to the Dora 9 44 model. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tempest is a pure fighter though. Its probably the first pure fighter the British put in the field of there own design in WW2, that also fullfilled that requirement originally Hawker tried to fullfil with the Tiffie.

I hope Oleg puts in a 11lbs boosted IIB powered version, I know theres some people looking into it over at CWOS so it might happen, which means a more accurate fight historically speaking anyway.

HellToupee
02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Zen, the Tempest should be a good energy fighter and I think it is if you watch the trim allot, it outclassed the Spitfire XIV and P51 in zoom climb and dive as well as sheer speed at low and medium altitudes. I know I need more practice, allot more, I'm still getting used to 4 wing mounted cannons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
I love both types but the current Tempest we have is outclassed as a pure fighter when compared to the Dora 9 44 model. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tempest is a pure fighter though. Its probably the first pure fighter the British put in the field of there own design in WW2, that also fullfilled that requirement originally Hawker tried to fullfil with the Tiffie.

I hope Oleg puts in a 11lbs boosted IIB powered version, I know theres some people looking into it over at CWOS so it might happen, which means a more accurate fight historically speaking anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

first pure fighter? then what was the spitfire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

I feel it depends on who starts with the advantage both can hang with each other pretty easy tempest has better turn and guns but dora has better low speed handling climb and acceleration and most important rear view, tho if we had 11lbs tempest there would be no doubt.

VW-IceFire
02-16-2006, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HellToupee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

I hope Oleg puts in a 11lbs boosted IIB powered version, I know theres some people looking into it over at CWOS so it might happen, which means a more accurate fight historically speaking anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

first pure fighter? then what was the spitfire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

I feel it depends on who starts with the advantage both can hang with each other pretty easy tempest has better turn and guns but dora has better low speed handling climb and acceleration and most important rear view, tho if we had 11lbs tempest there would be no doubt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Spitfire was designed as a point interceptor. The point was to introduce a fighter that was capable of fast climbs and carrying enough firepower to succesfully engage and destroy the enemies bomber attacks. The Battle of Britain was essentially the only time that the original Spitfire design was used as envisioned.

The Typhoon was designed as a heavy fighter to engage the enemies fighters and attack aircraft. In some ways the Typhoon was built to counter develoments like the Bf110 wherein the Typhoon was faster and more powerful than the typical RAF fighter at the time but not as big or heavy as the Bf110 was. We all know the Typhoon's role as a fighter was found to be limited to under 10,000 feet where it outperformed anything in terms of speed...but its agility (rate of roll in particular) was only average so it was no Spitfire replacement.

The Tempest was designed as a tactical fighter and thats its role. So it can be argued that it is a "pure fighter" not intended to be a interceptor or a fighter-bomber. In practice it was mostly used as fighter only...however tactical fighter doctrine meant that shooting anything that moved of the enemies on the ground was also the thing to do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My vote also goes to the Dora as being the best possible fighter in overall aspects. The Tempest is just a bit too slow in comparison to quite equal up. They are close...but not quite. The FW190D-9 is still a fast accelerator and with excellent agility.

Brain32
02-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Wov, I must admit that I'm amazed so many of you prefer Dora(even Ice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif). I mean both are amazing but I find that Tempest has some edge in important aspects, like for example forward view, in energy fighting I find it to be that the one that gets fireing solution first is often a winner, to me Tempest beats Dora big time in that part. Dora however does not require so much input from a pilot to behave(CEM+heavy Tempest torque). Tempest pwns Dora in horizontal, while Dora has a slight edge in vertical. Also it's much easier for Dora to disengage fom the Tempest than vice-versa. All in all pretty tight, very interesting fight, although I still haven't met my adversaries co-e or in disadvantage so maybe my opinion differ because of that....

Grey_Mouser67
02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Pass me the Dora please...if we get an 11 pound boost Tempest, the tables may turn, but the only thing the Tempest has on the Dora is turning circle and that, not by much.

The Dora is faster, retains E better, I believe it to dive better but haven't tested...the Tempest DM is not particularly tough, the view forward is better in the tempest but rearward, much worse....nope Dora wins most of the time given pilots of equal experience.

jds1978
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
i'm very split on this as both are wicked planes.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

Yak_Ace
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
OK! As I can see present Tempest (9 lb variant) is overally rather worse than D9 in most of your opinions. But if we get 11 lb variant, such a Tempest will outclass Dora. Well, let's wait on it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PS. As I think Tempest_9lb is now better than all Antons in the game including A-9, isn't it?

WOLFMondo
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grey_Mouser67:

The Dora is faster, retains E better, I believe it to dive better but haven't tested.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say the Tempest does dive a little better but doesn't zoom climb as well, which is something that probably is wrong with the FM as it was a great zoom climber, better than a P51 and better than an XIV and its dive in the ADFU test was said to be better than anything they have previously tested, remember they would have tested the P47 before it was given to units in Burma too.

OldMan____
02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Something I consider relevant is that Tempest is HUGE. It is easier to hit it than to hit any FW.

This is classic fight where the one that gets first snapshot may decide it.

JtD
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Tempest. It carries bombs, so it's useful.

OldMan____
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
Tempest. It carries bombs, so it's useful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

use the dora to bounce the tempest near its base amnd make him drop bomb where you want http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

gates123
02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
depends on the pilot.

HellToupee
02-16-2006, 12:24 PM
1. fly low
2. set bomb delay
3. drop bombs
4. observe persuing dora explode
5. make relevant remark over chat

Kuna_
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldMan____:
Something I consider relevant is that Tempest is HUGE. It is easier to hit it than to hit any FW.

This is classic fight where the one that gets first snapshot may decide it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey mate here are the some spec I found on Wikipedia considering sizes of these aircraft particularly, they are incomplete tho (quick search since we don't have Tempest in object viewer):

Tempest Mark V

Wingspan: 12.5 m (41 ft)
Length: 10.3 m (33 ft 8 in)
Height: 4.9 m (16 ft 1 in)
Empty weight: 4,080 kg (9,000 lb)
Max. loaded weight: 6,140 kg (13,540 lb)
Maximum speed: 686 km/h (426 mi/h / 370 knots)
Service ceiling: 11,125 m (36,500 ft)
Range: 2,460 km (1,530 mi / 1,330 nmi)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest

Fw 190D-9

Wingspan: 10.50 m (34 ft 5 in)
Wing area: 18.30 m² (196.99 ft²)
Length: 10.20 m (33 ft 5 1/2 in)
Height: 3.35 m (11 ft 0 in)
Weight: 3,490 kg (7,694 lb) empty, 4,840 kg (10,670 lb) gross
Engine: Junkers Jumo 213A-1 12-cylinder inverted-Vee piston, 1,750 hp (1,287 kW), 1,544 kW (2,100 hp) with boost
Maximum speed: 685 km/h (426 mph) @ 6,600 m (21,655 ft). (440 mph / 37,000')
Service ceiling: 12,000 m (39,370 ft)
Range: 840 km
Armament: 2 x 13 mm MG 131 machine guns, 2 x 20 mm MG 151 cannons, plus one 500 kg (1,102 lb) SC500 bomb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190

zugfuhrer
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I can proof that the Tempest can take more damage, is a little slower at sealevel, accelarates faster, is better in vertical movement, brakes better.
I have an untested feeling that it curves better, got better guns, and climbs faster to 5k.

Yak_Ace
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can proof that the Tempest can take more damage, is a little slower at sealevel, accelarates faster, is better in vertical movement, brakes better.
I have an untested feeling that it curves better, got better guns, and climbs faster to 5k. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good job, zugfuhrer! Do you have any charts with parameters' comparision between Tempest and Dora or Tempest and Antons???

WOLFMondo
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd ignore those specs on Wikipedia. Theres errors in both those planes stats. The Tempest one quotes the range and serice ceiling of the Tempest II for instance.

Unknown-Pilot
02-16-2006, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zugfuhrer:
I have an untested feeling that it curves better, got better guns, and climbs faster to 5k. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep seeing this and I just have to point out now -
A bow curves, a road curves, a hook curves....
but a plane does NOT curve. It turns. (cars as well)

OldMan____
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kuna_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldMan____:

This is classic fight where the one that gets first snapshot may decide it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey mate here are the some spec I found on Wikipedia considering sizes of these aircraft particularly, they are incomplete tho (quick search since we don't have Tempest in object viewer):

Tempest Mark V

Wingspan: 12.5 m (41 ft)
Length: 10.3 m (33 ft 8 in)
Height: 4.9 m (16 ft 1 in)
Empty weight: 4,080 kg (9,000 lb)
Max. loaded weight: 6,140 kg (13,540 lb)
Maximum speed: 686 km/h (426 mi/h / 370 knots)
Service ceiling: 11,125 m (36,500 ft)
Range: 2,460 km (1,530 mi / 1,330 nmi)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest

Fw 190D-9

Wingspan: 10.50 m (34 ft 5 in)
Wing area: 18.30 m² (196.99 ft²)
Length: 10.20 m (33 ft 5 1/2 in)
Height: 3.35 m (11 ft 0 in)
Weight: 3,490 kg (7,694 lb) empty, 4,840 kg (10,670 lb) gross
Engine: Junkers Jumo 213A-1 12-cylinder inverted-Vee piston, 1,750 hp (1,287 kW), 1,544 kW (2,100 hp) with boost
Maximum speed: 685 km/h (426 mph) @ 6,600 m (21,655 ft). (440 mph / 37,000')
Service ceiling: 12,000 m (39,370 ft)
Range: 840 km
Armament: 2 x 13 mm MG 131 machine guns, 2 x 20 mm MG 151 cannons, plus one 500 kg (1,102 lb) SC500 bomb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just proves what i posted. It is 20% wider and have even larget wing area(28 square meters). So the main target on a plane is much bigger on it.

In fact 55% more area exposed.

danjama
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Dore IMO

robban75
02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd say the Dora is better in most respects, but not by much. The Tempest is faster at some alts, especially at 2000m, were the Dora still suffers from a speed bug that's been present for more than a year. On the otherhand, the Tempest in-game is 10-15km/h too slow between 1500-6000m. It's climb rate however is overmodelled by 600-800ft/min at most altitudes. This makes it more competitive against the Dora in this sim. The Dora is massively undermodelled in climb rate between 1000 and 2000m,lacking some 3m/sec.
I think the Dora is more manouverable, has a faster acceleration and roll rate. But the Tempest isn't too far behind.

OldMan____
02-16-2006, 03:14 PM
But you must be more specific. Do you mean 1v1 dora vs tempest or as general Tempest vs LW 44 or Dora vs RAF/USAAF/VVS 44 ?

robban75
02-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm talking about in-game performance compared to real life performance when it comes to speeds and climb rate. Manouverabilty is just my feelings from the game.

AustinPowers_
02-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Just chweed it over with Mondo... Tempest vs Dora and TA.

It's really close... both have advantages. Dogfight ability seems to be with the Tempest, but TA and Dora have the zoom..

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

No conclusions can be drawn.

robban75
02-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Don't be afraid to turn with your D-9. Use combat flaps, the D-9 can turn tightly at speeds down to 300-350km/h. Sure she shakes alot, but she'll do it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Willey
02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
If the D-9 '44 had it's correct deck speed, it could even hold it's own against a 11lb Tempest.

TX-Zen
02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robban75:
Don't be afraid to turn with your D-9. Use combat flaps, the D-9 can turn tightly at speeds down to 300-350km/h. Sure she shakes alot, but she'll do it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

!!!!!!!!!

What...
Telling people to turn with a Dora?

Who are you, and what have you done with the REAL Robban?

!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cajun76
02-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Sounds like he's been studing you, Zen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Nice to see ya back, btw. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

tigertalon
02-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Haven't flown tempest a lot yet, however, in my hands I found it on a par with late Antons (especially with A9 and A5_1.65ATA).

However, for dueling I'd take dora, for lone-wulfing I'd prefer Tempest (at the moment that is).

Id take the Tempest over any Fw 190 for a ground attack mission hovever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with you, 8x60lbs rockets plus 4 hispanos with loads of ammo to waste is devastating.

However, if only we had more complicated/detailed engine damage model, I might have changed my mind.
(remember british pilots that were begging badly for tempest Mk2 with bristol centaurus radial engine for mud moving, and those Fws on eastern front that came home with engine ticking altough a cilinder or two have been literaly shot away by direct 20+mm aaa hits...)

AustinPowers_
02-16-2006, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:

However, for dueling I'd take dora, for lone-wulfing I'd prefer Tempest (at the moment that is).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting.. I'd take it the other way. Tempest for deuling Dora for lone wulfing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

HellToupee
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
same, with its rear view its very difficult to fly alone with no one to spot ur six, often in d9 when u use ur speed to run u can see the guy chasing and go on the attack as soon as he gives up the chase, unable to in tempest without manoving and bleeding speed.

TX-Zen
02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cajun76:
Sounds like he's been studing you, Zen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Nice to see ya back, btw. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Are those vicious rumors about taking the D9 down to the deck circulating again? Egad!

Good to see you too Cajun...seems alot of the old crew are still here. Salute!

Cajun76
02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
~Salute!~ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm hanging on, I've been having HOTAS problems for months now, on top of moving halfway around the world, new job and taking care of my new family.

Munchkin copilot is days away from his first birthday. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Woefully out of practice, but hoping I'll get some regular stick time in soon. Of course, that's mainly up to the "AirBoss". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

TX-Zen
02-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the new family and happy birthday for the copilot! I just got married myself actually...between the beloved and work this past year I haven't had a lot of time to fly, but I must say that a couple of hours of stick time got me back in the saddle...better than ever it feels like.

What part of the world did you end up in btw?

(side note, anyone seen my 500 odd posts that I'm missing?)

Cajun76
02-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Heh, nearly everyone lost some postcount [(TM) &lt;LEXX style http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif] the other day. Quite a few lost about 500, including me.

I'm in the USAF and I was in Japan. Now I'm back in the US, in Arkansas. Little Rock AFB was my first assignment, now I'm back again, same squadron and unit from 4 years ago. It's like Yokota was a 4 year TDY, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Congrats on the marrige, m8. Best wishes to you and yours.

It would be a lot easier to get back in the saddle for me if I could find a setup I'm comfortable with. Just got a Saitek X52, but I'm having trouble with the twist stick. I like my old rudder rocker on the throttle of my TM Top Gun Afterburner. Need more practice, or a way to revitalize the TGA throttle so I can use the rocker at least. Practice for now is what I need, though.

p1ngu666
02-16-2006, 09:39 PM
i was past 11000 posts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

zen tnb is what atleast half the luftwaffles want todo now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

there even gaining some interest in mudmoving http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

most curious, and odd devlopments afoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

danjama
02-16-2006, 10:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
i was past 11000 posts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

zen tnb is what atleast half the luftwaffles want todo now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

there even gaining some interest in mudmoving http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

most curious, and odd devlopments afoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

robban75
02-17-2006, 12:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-Zen:
!!!!!!!!!

What...

!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Good to have you back on the forums Zen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

robban75
02-17-2006, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'd be alot more fun if we had this! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/robban75/mmbombs.jpg

Hristo_
02-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Dora and Tempest are evenly matched, IMO. Pilot quality is what counts. The one who makes least errors is likely to win.

If we get 11 lbs boost Tempest, it should arrive with corrected Dora which is now missing 20 kph of its speed at low altitude. So, I guess it will be similar as it is now - both planes will stay closely matched, while becoming even more competitive relative to the rest of late war planeset.

I've met Spit 25s online and they are no danger for a competent Dora driver. Tempests are much more dangerous, but as I said before - it is the pilot who counts. Only Tempest/Spit combo is nasty and one could only wish for 262 to BnZ the hell out of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

TX-Gunslinger
02-17-2006, 01:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-Zen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robban75:
Don't be afraid to turn with your D-9. Use combat flaps, the D-9 can turn tightly at speeds down to 300-350km/h. Sure she shakes alot, but she'll do it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

!!!!!!!!!

What...

!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things have been a bit weird since you've been gone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Great new guns offset by Dora speed bug, east front Jabo derated A4's (which folks just love to put on Western Front servers), supercharger dropout between 2-4K, etc...etc...etc..

But the good news is, we got a 25lb boost Spit! It's a lot of fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Of course the P-51, P-47 guys are suffering some too. Hmmm, wonder why? What on earth could be common between 190's, P-51's and P-47's? Maybe one of the Aerospace and Physics Phd's will show up with an explantion. We have aquired a few of those in your absence, also.

Oleg's given us this 1.65 ata A5 to substitute for Western front A4's. It's kind of neat, but boost falls off in a climb. It's also hard to convince server folks to put in a boosted A5 for an A4, no matter what Oleg says.

In short, nothings really changed all that much, well, except we've got that new Do-335 (and gorgeous new Italian planes). Have'nt had much time to fly the Do-335 though. So far, it feels like flying a telephone pole with two engines, and a worse forward/rear view than the 190. At least there's no bar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The best news I think, personally, is there is now a British fighter that I can fly without worrying about being seen in it. Thank God for the Tempest! It rocks! A real mans plane. The UK's Focke-Wulf.

Salute, my friend, great to see you back. Hope we get to fly soon.

P.S. - For me, the '45 Dora is still my favorite. Especially, if you find yourself slumming below 2K. Unfortunatley, most servers only put on the 44 model cause they think it's the same.

P.S.S. - Oh yeah, almost forgot: Be careful saying anything outload about aircraft performance around here now, you'll get nabbed by the "Got track? Gestapo". I think they work for homeland security, or something.

Bremspropeller
02-17-2006, 05:04 AM
+ 1 for a Jabo-Dora http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Manuel29
02-17-2006, 05:29 AM
It'd be alot more fun if we had this! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like these:

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/Casino/Filme/Wochenschauen/JG4-Movie-29.mpg

mynameisroland
02-17-2006, 07:56 AM
[/QUOTE P.S. - For me, the '45 Dora is still my favorite. Especially, if you find yourself slumming below 2K. Unfortunatley, most servers only put on the 44 model cause they think it's the same.

P.S.S. - Oh yeah, almost forgot: Be careful saying anything outload about aircraft performance around here now, you'll get nabbed by the "Got track? Gestapo". I think they work for homeland security, or something.[/QUOTE]

I always ask that servers keep the Dora 9 44 flyable it used the same C3 fuel as the Antons and F Jabos so the fuel was there. The Dora 9 44 is faster at higher and medium altitudes than the 45 and you can fly at higher ATA for longer than the D9 45. If you engage WEP and keep throtle at 100% you can cruise at very high speeds for an age running at more HP than a D9 45 at 100%. The D9 45 MW50 boost only works for 10% of your throttle travel whereas the WEP on the D9 44 gives you increased boost from 0% to 110%.

I cruise around at 4000 to 5000m at 80% at around 500km\h. I havent flown the Dora online at all in this patch, I will test it out on Sunday agains the Tempest.

TX-Zen
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Salute Black 2!!!!

Emailed you the other day about some TUSA questions, so we need to get together and go over a few things. I'll definately have time to fly for training and matches, plus throw in a little for general mayhem as well.

The other night we had Rahman, Ersky, Copper, Cuda, Eco and Scuba on...kinda like old times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

TX-Zen
02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Personally my money is on the Dora based on practical reasons...more experienced D9 drivers out there, many who have made it a career and know their plane well, compared to the newness of the Tempest and resulting lack of familiarity with the FM.

I find the roll rate to be too slow on the tempest and thats really a show stopper for me. Too many years in the dora have baised me against planes that can't roll or dive and I feel the tempest is very limited in roll. (side note the roll rate is also why the Ta152 never stole the number one spot for me...roll is just a tad too slow to be comfortable with).

A good D9 driver will probably be able to make the tempest fly well, but a spit driver will probably not have an easy time of it.

As for performance, at this moment I feel the D9 has the edge but thats more of a seat of the pants thing than any hard fact. I haven't done any significant testing on the tempest and probably won't...as I said earlier if a new plane doesn't have the energy performance of the windup La's and such, it's not worth being worried about.

One thing I must second is GunSlinger's statement that it's a plane that I wouldn't be afraid to be seen in either. It's got some great performance but (gasp) it has disadvantages as well. You don't see that from the Brit side very often http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

And as a general statement I agree about the general difficulty of the energy fighting planes like the P47, P51, 190 and others...this sim is still leaning toward low wingloaded aircraft having the advantage and probably always will, despite what I consider overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary.

But thats just me and I have no real life historical track to prove it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Viper2005_
02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but boost falls off in a climb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that this is caused by an insufficiently fine minimum prop pitch; when you slow down to climb the prop hits its fine stop and then you start to lose rpm. Because the supercharger is driven as a function of shaft rpm, it also loses rpm and therefore provides less boost. This effect is made more obvious by the fact that at higher boost the engine is throttled to a much lesser degree by the automatic boost control unit so there is less "slack" in the system.

If you stay fast you retain full boost and thus full performance.

However it would be very nice to see this minor issue corrected in a future patch; testing of a variety of aircraft reveals that a lot of them hit their fine stops too early and can't maintain rpm as well as they should, with the Mustang being a good example (try flying it in the circuit using the technique suggested in the Pilot's notes...).

AFJ_Locust
02-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Dora still rules imo but the tempV is a dam good ac

I fought 4 Germans the other day at the same time in WC, a 109k4,FW,DORA,Ta152 I was alone in TempV

I was able to wound 2 of them very badly before they finaly shot me down. Normaly if 4 German attack you you dont even get a shot off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TempV be sure great plane

Dora still Rules tho

Brain32
02-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I had a similar expirience on WC 2 days ago it was 3 Dora's and 1 Anton, shot down 2 Dora's and made Anton RTB, thankfully the third Dora dissapeared as I cooked my engine, it was one of the best fights I ever had http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p1ngu666
02-17-2006, 09:00 AM
robban theres little point in a jabo dora with same loadouts as f8.

the loadouts are pants.

the mossie overheats really easily aswell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

TX-Zen
02-17-2006, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cajun76:
Heh, nearly everyone lost some postcount [(TM) &lt;LEXX style http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif] the other day. Quite a few lost about 500, including me.

I'm in the USAF and I was in Japan. Now I'm back in the US, in Arkansas. Little Rock AFB was my first assignment, now I'm back again, same squadron and unit from 4 years ago. It's like Yokota was a 4 year TDY, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Congrats on the marrige, m8. Best wishes to you and yours.

It would be a lot easier to get back in the saddle for me if I could find a setup I'm comfortable with. Just got a Saitek X52, but I'm having trouble with the twist stick. I like my old rudder rocker on the throttle of my TM Top Gun Afterburner. Need more practice, or a way to revitalize the TGA throttle so I can use the rocker at least. Practice for now is what I need, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not particularly familiar with the X52 (though it looks cool!), but maybe you can side step the twist stick issue by getting a set of CH rudder pedals. My understanding is that they are USB and will be recognized independantly of the joystick, so all you should need to do is assign the axis in game and off you'd go.

I have considered the CH pedals before because I do know at some point my cougar will die and then I will having nothing to plug my TM Elite analog pedals into.