PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Constantinople or Rome?

LordWolv
11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I was wondering what you thought about the comparison between the two cities. Firstly, a quick run through of both.

Although Rome is slightly larger than Constantinople, it has a lot less houses and 'city areas'. This is because it has a lot of open area grass land. Constantinople has absolutely no open area, and because of that a lot more buildings and streets. Constantinople is a more complex map than Rome.

Landmark wise, Rome comes out on top. Rome itself has more famous and impressive landmarks (e.g The Colosseum) in real life, so it's obviously bias.

But, what do you think? Personally I prefer Constantinople. I wasn't a fan of the open spaces in Rome, it restricted free running way too much. The houses were too spaced out, and that's if there were any! I do think that Rome offered a massive step up from the cities in ACII, and Rome really staggered me (Especially from the top of the Castello, loved that view so much). But, personally, I think Constantinople has just stepped it up again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kriegerdesgottes
11-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Constantinople hands down.

Animuses
11-20-2011, 01:12 AM
This poll isn't even fair. It's like saying what's better AC2 or ACB.

souNdwAve89
11-20-2011, 01:13 AM
I like Constantinople more than Rome. The reason is because the city is very diverse and each district is different. There are different districts in Rome too, but the architecture was almost the same. If you go from the rich district to the poor district in Constantinople, you can see a big difference. Besides the buildings, the nightlife and the dawn/dusk looks nicer than Rome in my eyes.

LordWolv
11-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Animuses:
This poll isn't even fair. It's like saying what's better AC2 or ACB.
We're not comparing games, we're comparing the cities themselves.

freddie_1897
11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Constantinople by far. I've been there and they have completely got it. The diversity, the feel to the city even the atmosphere. The hagia is flawless, they got that to every last detail. Going in to the grand bazaar was like de ja vu because it hasn't changes a bit, the density, the building and the products such as spices are completely bang on. The topkapi palace is just the same, really creepy. I just can't believe how similar it is!

ProdiGurl
11-20-2011, 06:18 AM
I can't help it, I'm still a fan of Rome even though I know they needed to use another area for this game.

They did a great job on Constantinople & I have no complaints at all with it.
What I'm really liking are the civilian conversations & comments in ACR = some of them are hilarious

LordWolv
11-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Do you notice a graphical update in Constantinople. Personally I see no major improvements.

EvolutionIXMR
11-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I liked them both, but thought Rome was better. I thought Rome was just a bit more "diverse" when it came to landmarks & historical locations. Whereas Constantinople seemed to have a bit too many "Mosques". It got to a point where I got a bit tired of reading about all the them everytime the little "information" window came up. The stories behind a lot of the locations weren't all that interesting either when comparing to Rome's.

GeneralTrumbo
11-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Isaac500:
Do you notice a graphical update in Constantinople. Personally I see no major improvements.

Dude...you could definitely notice a HUGE upgrade in graphics. What kind of TV are you using?? The facial animations were great, the clothing/cloth textures amazing(down to where you can see every last thread), and the city you could see the textures on the hagia, mosque, etc. This is the ONLY city where I actually ADMIRED the beauty of it. I couldn't do that with the other assassins creed games.

albertwesker22
11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
This is the ONLY city where I actually ADMIRED the beauty of it. I couldn't do that with the other assassins creed games.

I think you are in the minority there. You couldn't admire the beauty of Florence or Damascus?

I liked Constantinople too, but don't be all like "DUDE!" When someone expresses his opinion on the way the city looks graphically.

Smythy01
11-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Constantinople.
There is more city

IrosoMeyi186
11-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Obviously the votes will be biased and the voters will pick Constantine because Its the ''New thing'' -_-

rileypoole1234
11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by IrosoMeyi186:
Obviously the votes will be biased and the voters will pick Constantine because Its the ''New thing'' -_-

No, it's just better. I didn't like Rome when I started Brotherhood. I grew on me after I actually went to Rome, but Constantinople is better.

gamertam
11-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I voted for Rome. I got nothing against Constantinople. I just felt like a foreigner when i'm playing ACR.

LordWolv
11-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I guess unintentionally we will all be slightly bias, but please try to look at it as a very general overview. Imagine you were told to explore Constantinople and Rome in the same day, no guards, no missions. Just civilians and shops. Imagine that; maybe even do it. Then you'll be able to judge.

Animuses
11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Isaac500:
We're not comparing games, we're comparing the cities themselves.
Obviously... I was just making a point.

jcoyle_hull
11-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Although Rome would seem to me as my favourite as i love ancient history loved the Romans, i hope to travel to Rome in a few years aswell and its just a beautifull, historically rich place, i do think each game has stepped up graphically and by the setting too, Rome was great but the open spaces did kill the pace and point of assassins creed.

Constantinople the other side of the Roman empire was amazing it was more beautifull then Rome and had very distinctive districts and alot better for gameplay so i had to vote Constantinople although both cities where amazing.

As always ubisoft brings us beautifull enviroments to play in and they keep getting better which leads me to my most important question ... where next? It will deffinately be epic though wherever it is and i would geuss it wont be in any of the places rumoured on the internet.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
To be honest, I prefer the settings of AC1 and 2. I wish they'd stuck with the multi-city approach. Somehow one big city becomes a bit boring for me.

But if I'm forced to decide between Rome and Constantinople, having been to both Rome and Istanbul in real life, I'd have to say the game's Rome feels more like Rome. There's something missing from the game's version of Istanbul - it's almost like they just copied the cultural aspects of the last game and pasted them onto Constantinople. I just never get the sense that I'm in a different culture from Italy. It's missing atmosphere.

Saqaliba
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I have been reading about Constantinople for a few years now. Love the feel of it in this game. Probably the main thing I love about the game. But I wish those musty old buildings that seem run-down would upgrade as you renovate the city. Like, the way Monterigionni does.

twenty_glyphs
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I still can't decide. I definitely think Constantinople is an improvement in a lot of ways, but there's something about it I just don't like as much as Rome. I feel like there's just a little too much fog, haze and orange colors. Rome felt colorful, clear and bright with green grass and blue skies, while Constantinople just feels too hazy to me at times. I think I also miss having some occasional fields to give some breathing room, though not as much as Rome. I think my mind is still adjusting to the new city and it's overwhelming, so my opinion may start to change as I become more familiar with the city over the coming weeks.

cryenauxvoleur
11-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Both cities are done very well. Constantinople is very bright and much different in design- perhaps too bright for my taste but very well done. I personally like Rome better, though. It really was nice, a bit dreary and troubled but still was beautiful.

LordWolv
11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
I agree with you guys, when I first visited Constantinople I was very unsure what Ubisoft had done, and for the first 3 sequences I stayed the same. But then I went to the top of a very high viewpoint. That's when I stared over the houses and mist, and realised this place was amazing.

Recently I've noticed a massive difference between the poor side of the city and the rich.

rodi1995
11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
What annoyed me most is that you can't ride horses in constantinopel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
As for rome well the had horses but they were not as gracious as the ones in AC2 especially the black horse with the whtie hair. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stowdace
11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Constantinople.
The environment is really nice and is a place not often explored in other games.
Rome was nice too, but had a lot of open area. Which is not really a bad thing.

Toa TAK
11-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Constantinople.
I think the reason why I wasn't a big fan of Brotherhood (besides the story compared to AC1 & 2) was that Rome was just boring. Italy in AC2 was cool, but I felt like it was dragged out by this time.

UnOrthodox2013
01-04-2013, 04:30 PM
The Eastern Orthodox Church has been a complete failure in the mission of the Church to evangelize the world. And in those places where it has been ascendant, it has been over-run by Islamic hordes, Communism, and secularism. It is a complete failure, still living in the first millennium. I recently returned from a pilgrimage to the middle east. In the holy land, the sacred spaces are hovels,ruled over by real Greek *****s! And in the Turkish world, it is all just ruins. Disgraceful! Become eastern orthodox? Get real! Crapulous, and with nothing to recommended them!

ACfan443
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
The Eastern Orthodox Church has been a complete failure in the mission of the Church to evangelize the world. And in those places where it has been ascendant, it has been over-run by Islamic hordes, Communism, and secularism. It is a complete failure, still living in the first millennium. I recently returned from a pilgrimage to the middle east. In the holy land, the sacred spaces are hovels,ruled over by real Greek *****s! And in the Turkish world, it is all just ruins. Disgraceful! Become eastern orthodox? Get real! Crapulous, and with nothing to recommended them!

What?

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
What?
An Idiot...

ACfan443
01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
An Idiot...

It's probably the most random, and irrelevant piece of writing I've read on this forum

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:08 PM
It's probably the most random, and irrelevant piece of writing I've read on this forum
Also pretty offensive...

Megas_Doux
01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Constantinople is my favorite, whereas Rome my least, so........

TheSpong
01-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Also pretty offensive...

Just like your "an idiot" post.

Anyway, on topic, I voted Rome. Frankly, I'm staggered that Constantinople has won, and won by such a majority. I think the place sucks, but to each their own I guess.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Just like your "an idiot" post.

I`m sorry, but that`s not for you to say...

Did i offend you with my "an idiot" post ?? so sorry, darling..

THAT`S offensive

TheSpong
01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I`m sorry, but that`s not for you to say...

But it is for you to say? So this is a case of do as you say and not as you do? LOL.

Did i offend you with my "an idiot" post ?? so sorry, darling..

Whether or not I was offended is irrelevant to the fact that it can be viewed as offensive. As Shaun himself said in AC3; two stupids don't make a smart.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
But it is for you to say? So this is a case of do as you say and not as you do? LOL.

Whether or not I was offended is irrelevant to the fact that it can be viewed as offensive. As Shaun himself said in AC3; two stupids don't make a smart.
I never intended for my response to be smart...yours, though, tries hard, but fails...

TheSpong
01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
I never intended for my response to be smart...

No, your clear intent was to belittle and mock the poster by calling them an idiot and saying absolutely nothing else.

...yours, though, tries hard, but fails...

LOL, you got me. Looks like I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
No, your clear intent was to belittle and mock the poster by calling them an idiot and saying absolutely nothing else.

Which has no hint or trace of Intelligence what so ever..Like I said, I never intended for my post to appear smart..If you saw it that way, then let me tell you that my response is probably what a kindergartner calls "smart" as well...

LOL, you got me. Looks like I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Tuck yourself well, darling and don't forget your teddy..

Gi1t
01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I really found AC's Rome to be kind of a dull setting. Being stuck there throughout the entirety of Brotherhood was one of the things that made the game a lot less fun for me than the games before it.

BaronVonES
01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Constantinople felt a bit too dusty, brown and lifeless to me. Perhaps it was the lack of ambient music that contributed to my lack of enjoyment in the city, but I just felt bored whilst there. It is clear that a lot of attention and care was taken to give the city its distinctive feel, but it just didn't resonate with me. The contrast of colour seen in Rome helped to make it come out to me from a visual standpoint, and even just freerunning through the city I could sense more signs of life than Constantinople. To compare, I find Rome to be like AC II's Venice - vibrant, beautiful, a joy to be involved in, while Constantinople is more like AC II's Forli - lots of attention and detail, but compared to other cities feels slightly hollow.

shobhit7777777
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Constantinople....by a small yet fair margin

the thing is that they nailed the feeling of "place" and "period" with Istanbul

You can smell the city.

The colours are vibrant and range from the muted grays and blues to the bright oranges
The lighting and dynamic TOD is beautiful and watching the sunset and silhouette the skyline never gets old
The city can be seen in one breadth and feels expansive...and thanks to the up-down hilly elevation....it looks "dynamic" and enigmatic
The architecture is beautiful and offers a break from the first 3 games
The smog, the fog, the smoke and all the haziness really adds a fantastical quality to it all
The NPCs are beautifully dressed up in rich colours...they look amazing IMO
The Markets and stalls are also very colourful and "exotic"

Rome was and remains beautiful and gorgeous...but Constantinople captured my heart. And I've been to Rome.

Turul.
01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
dont see the appeal behnd constantople

fewer landmarks, often times awkward navigation

and rome's architecture is far more beautiful.

AjinkyaParuleka
01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I personally like the Frontier cause of its beauty and diversity.In Rome,the Colesseum fascinated me and Constantinople's architecture is great as it is Arabic,same can be said for Roman Architecture.

stingray10
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Just because it has fewer Landmarks does not make it any less beautiful. I'm sorry but rome is Blown out the water, Constantinople is the Ultimate city in the AC franchise. It is beautiful, vibrant and interesting. The clash between districts, rich and poor is wonderful, the diversity is amazing.

The use of European and Middle Eastern architecture is astoundingly amazing, and although some people disagree, i love that murkey, smokey haze, with the rich golden colours and bright fabrics. It felt a pleasure to travel through Constaninople, not a burden like Rome. The grey and cold colours were boring, it was really drab.

I just wish that Ubisoft would have brought justice to possibly the Greatest city of all time, i wished that the gameplay and story would have been as good as ACú3.

DELTA Kristian
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Rome is more... well more history more magnificent,its filled with secrets,the beginning of nations/countries,the most infamous city. However Constantinople is also a very nice city with its secrets and historical KEY MOMENTS. I like both but in a way i prefer Rome,maybe even cuz of seeing for myself...

YuurHeen
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I chosen Rome since it was easier to travel and had more diversity in landscape.

Megas_Doux
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM

I am half Italian and half spaniard! I have been in Rome many times and even though I agree with you in terms of what city has the best landmarks. I do have to say that I find it rather dull truth be told-its AC version-, centro district seems rushed to me, it is kind unispired! The color scheme is bland, aside from its landmakrs, the other buildings feel unfinished to me. Again, may be it is just me, but never really liked it

PandaPuff86
01-04-2013, 09:55 PM
- Constantinople may have a more livelier feel but its still boring whenever I run through the streets. The only place I actually liked was the Hagia Sophia but the rest was meh.
- Rome has a more historical feel and it looks beautiful in the day and at night. I can't help replaying missions in ACB just to ride a horse through the countryside. You can't top that.

Other cities to mention are Firenze(busy and lively plus the architecture), Venice(come on! boat rides at night under the full moon!), Tuscany(countryside at sunset...), and for some odd reason Jerusalem.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Rome was the most dull, boring, dead, uninspired, repetitive, familiar, ugly, mute city for me....I can`t see the appeal in Rome

Juuuuuuuuuust sayin`

Turul.
01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Rome was the most dull, boring, dead, uninspired, repetitive, familiar, ugly, mute city for me....I can`t see the appeal in Rome

Juuuuuuuuuust sayin`

it had all the great aspects of the ac2 cities rolled into 1..besides the water of venice

whats not to like?

TrueAssassin77
01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
it had all the great aspects of the ac2 cities rolled into 1..besides the water of venice

whats not to like?

M doesn't like AC2. rightly so imo

Soulid_Snake
01-05-2013, 12:13 AM

Juuuuuuuuuust sayin`

To add to this, some areas had buildings lumped so closely together, it felt claustrophobic, making free roaming on the ground and freerunning quite s****y.

@OP: If you included cities from AC2, I would have gone for Florence or Venice!

Assassin_M
01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
whats not to like?

it had all the great aspects of the ac2 cities rolled into 1 with the exception of it being more DULL and DEAD
^This....

It had nothing on AC II`s cities...besides, I didn't want another AC II..Just because it`s "OOOOH SO SHINY AND PRETTY" does not mean I get it for 2 consecutive games.

Juuuuuuuuuuust sayin`

Assassin_M
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
M doesn't like AC2. rightly so imo
But I adore its Cities ;)

Rome had nothing on AC II`s cities..

SixKeys
01-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Both are beautiful and I love the atmosphere in Constantinople, but I'm gonna have to go with Rome. I think what clinches it for me is that freerunning is simply less clumsy in Rome. The hookblade didn't always work the way it was supposed to, so climbing towers was more tedious. Ezio was constantly bumping his knee ungracefully when trying to climb onto a slightly higher slanted roof, breaking the flow of freerunning. So Constantinople was pretty but impractical for the game's core mechanic.

Rome had colder colors, but different areas of the city were more distinguishable to me. I also think the size of the map was just right, not too big, not too small. It allowed for many different changes of scenery, from the vast countryside to old ruins and columns, from the rich areas to the poor and broken down areas. Constantinople was smaller and didn't allow for horse travel, so the differences between landscapes didn't feel as distinct.

Megas_Doux
01-05-2013, 01:30 AM
From Jerusalem, Damascus and Constantinople its rich and delicious arab feeling!!!!!
From Acre its rawness, you truly feel the tragedies of war plaguing the city!
From Venice and Florence its beauty and elegance!!!!
Heck even New York with its busy docks and ports -a personal favorite of mine alone, it seems-

I just dont enjoy Rome as other cities......

Toa TAK
01-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Constantinople hands down. I love that city. Rome gets really old, really quick for me (or Italy overall really).

nikebootsrule
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I thought rome was really nice to look at compared to acr's constantinople with was really dull. Plus acr is pretty bad

kuled2012
01-05-2013, 11:36 AM
They put Boston and NY to shame.

ACfan443
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
They put Boston and NY to shame.

I don't think the cities from the American revolution were appropriate for an AC game, they were too young and underdeveloped.

lothario-da-be
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think the cities from the American revolution were appropriate for an AC game, they were too young and underdeveloped.
true, but some variation is good to.

shobhit7777777
01-05-2013, 12:51 PM

I can agree

Then again, I really felt that the setting and time period was awesome....the cities were an absolute let-down though