PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters ....

CDN_Merlin
11-14-2004, 08:50 AM
WOW. I just bought the game yesterday and I'm impressed. First, I played it already and I knew it was good but the case. Who thought of making a double DVD case so I could store all my IL2 cd's in it?

Now, this case holds my IL2, IL2 FB + AEP and PF cd's all in one.

Thanks guys.

Heavy_Weather
11-14-2004, 10:55 AM
yep, very durable case indeed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

GvSAP_Wingnut
11-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, I like the case too.

The first thing I asked myself, though, when I opened it up, was why did we have to wait for more content in a patch? I've read more than once that all of it would not fit on two CD's. Obviously 3 or more CDs fit in the packaging. I'd have paid the extra $5 or $10, if it would have even cost that much, to put some more maps, planes, and the MURMANSK map on a 3rd CD.

bird_brain
11-15-2004, 08:45 AM
If you didn't notice Oleg's message about the sick programmer on the front page, It ain't done yet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BinaryFalcon
11-15-2004, 09:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GvSAP_Wingnut:
Yes, I like the case too.

The first thing I asked myself, though, when I opened it up, was why did we have to wait for more content in a patch? I've read more than once that all of it would not fit on two CD's. Obviously 3 or more CDs fit in the packaging. I'd have paid the extra $5 or $10, if it would have even cost that much, to put some more maps, planes, and the _MURMANSK_ map on a 3rd CD. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Initially I felt the same way, then I saw the DVD case and understood why Ubi did it. Or at least, I was happy it was done that way.

It holds 6 discs. FB + AEP + PF is 5.

We all know there are going to be patches. Probably at least 2.

If they'd made PF 3 CDs, we'd be maxed out at 6 in the case right off the bat. Any user made patch CD would have to be stored elsewhere.

With PF at 2 discs, we're free to put all of the required patches, as well as anything else we like on a disc to take up that last space. In the end, we'll have everything we need in one box.

I like that, and am willing to wait a few weeks for some additional content to get that in the long run. It certainly saved me ripping copies of all 5 discs and burning them to one DVD for convenience like I'd planned to before I saw the DVD case (I may still do this anyway, as installing from 1 disc is less hassle than installing from 5-6. However I reinstall rarely enough that it may not be worth the effort).

If we'd just been given the regular 2CD jewel case I'd have been annoyed though. In this case, the packaging made all the difference.

CDN_Merlin
11-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I just checked my case again, I cna't fit another CD in there since there are side clips on the knob that hold the 5 cd's already in there in place. Adding another would not be possible. If it is, then maybe the Battle over Britain CD was meant for that spot?

Bearcat99
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Thats what my box looks like... FB,AEP,BoE & PF.. and the 3 books too... (FB,BoE,PF) there is room for one more.. it wont be locked in but it will stay in the case so thats where i will pt my patches and skins and the UQMG.. all on a DVD.