PDA

View Full Version : Just let me check this one last time... Backing up IL2

dazza9806482
02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Ok. Im gonnae reinstall windows after 2 1/2 years

im understandably a little worried.

most important is really sturmo.

i think ive been told before but i wanted to check one last time.

i copy the entire contents of my forgotten battles folder. containing all the updates, AEP, PF and patches and skins and missions and stuff.

i put this backup in a second backup drive i have.

i reinstall windows and everything works as before from the backup without reinstalling?

so no need to backup each patch hunt out my disks and generally waste lots of time?

dazza9806482
02-23-2006, 10:06 AM

i copy the entire contents of my forgotten battles folder. containing all the updates, AEP, PF and patches and skins and missions and stuff.

i reinstall windows and everything works as before from the backup without reinstalling?

so no need to backup each patch hunt out my disks and generally waste lots of time?

georgeo76
02-23-2006, 10:34 AM
That won't work. The install process dose more than create the IL2 folder. Your best bet is to back up your files (conf.ini, default.ini, missions, and skins), then insert them into a fresh install.

dazza9806482
02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah Georgeo thats what i figured too, most games create registry entries and such that mean u cant just do a backup

however im sure i read somewhere that IL2 is different and u can run it straight from the prog folder?

georgeo76
02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
maybe, wouldn't hurt to try. Besides, if you back up the whole directory, you sure wouldn't lose anything.

FoolTrottel
02-23-2006, 11:08 AM
A completely installed PF+AEP+PF+(patches) is perfectly copy-able and that copy will run fine on a new Windows install.

(The only problem could be the installation of any future add-ons, that use an installation procedure similar to AEP, or PF-to-be-merged to FB-AEP.)

By itself, it does not need any registry entries...

Just try it, it'll work.

LUFT11_Hoflich
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by georgeo76:
That won't work. The install process dose more than create the IL2 folder. Your best bet is to back up your files (conf.ini, default.ini, missions, and skins), then insert them into a fresh install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

georgeo78...
That b/w picture you have in your sig. is from a movie that was on TV yesterday.. unfortunately wife didn't let me watc it cuz she wanted me to take her to dinner... So I watched a part of the movie where some 2 wackos (looked like british or from the RAF) were in an office, and 1 of the took out a .30 cal out from a gold bag, and started shooting like mad...

Whats the name of the movie and what is it about?
H¶f...

Dew-Claw
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
A completely installed PF+AEP+PF+(patches) is perfectly copy-able and that copy will run fine on a new Windows install.

(The only problem could be the installation of any future add-ons, that use an installation procedure similar to AEP, or PF-to-be-merged to FB-AEP.)

Just try it, it'll work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct
backing up that way works just fine.
It doesn't look as if IL2 makes any required registry entries.

GreyFox5
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

Just try it, it'll work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct
backing up that way works just fine.
It doesn't look as if IL2 makes any required registry entries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just put it on a different hard drive or burn a CD-ROM of the directory and that works just fine.

Go to your Windows Explorer and copy the UBI Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles folder and once you have completed the rebuilding of your computer just copy the UBI Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles folder to your C:\Program Files directory on your hard drive and it should run just fine. Its a big file so it will take a while to copy.

Good Luck!

georgeo76
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
It's called Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/)

Its a 1964 satire on nuclear annihilation. Basically, an airforce general decides to forgo the policy makers and launch a strike on Soviet territory with the few bombers under his command. He figures that once Washington finds out what is happening, they will be forced to commit to an all-out strike. It is possibly the funniest movie ever made and just as funny (and relevant) today as ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LUFT11_Hoflich:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by georgeo76:
That won't work. The install process dose more than create the IL2 folder. Your best bet is to back up your files (conf.ini, default.ini, missions, and skins), then insert them into a fresh install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

georgeo78...
That b/w picture you have in your sig. is from a movie that was on TV yesterday.. unfortunately wife didn't let me watc it cuz she wanted me to take her to dinner... So I watched a part of the movie where some 2 wackos (looked like british or from the RAF) were in an office, and 1 of the took out a .30 cal out from a gold bag, and started shooting like mad...

Whats the name of the movie and what is it about?
H¶f... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tully__
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Just to confirm...the only use for registry entries is for subsequent game version installers to find the current installation. As patches don't use the full installer, a copy of the game folder and all its contents will work fine until a further retail release that uses the full installer. At worst you'll need to re-install at that time, at best they'll allow you to point the add-on (if one is released) at the copied folder and you'll have no problems.

mortoma
02-23-2006, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dazza9806482:
Yeah Georgeo thats what i figured too, most games create registry entries and such that mean u cant just do a backup

however im sure i read somewhere that IL2 is different and u can run it straight from the prog folder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not true in the case of this game, the registry entries are meaningless. I have two hard drives, I have copies of IL2 on the other HD that predate the release of FB, several patches of FB before AEP, AEP 2.04 and PF standlone 3 point something. All of them are playable from the second HD with no glitches whatever!!!!

I think the registry entries are only there so the game to appear in add/remove programs, so you can unistall the game from there. That's about it!!!!

mortoma
02-23-2006, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
Just to confirm...the only use for registry entries is for subsequent game version installers to find the current installation. As patches don't use the full installer, a copy of the game folder and all its contents will work fine until a further retail release that uses the full installer. At worst you'll need to re-install at that time, at best they'll allow you to point the add-on (if one is released) at the copied folder and you'll have no problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, didn't see your post, you are right about the registry entries ( I forgot about that ) but some entries are so the game appears in the add/remove programs thing.

Tully__
02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but some entries are so the game appears in the add/remove programs thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which doesn't matter if it's only installed as a copied folder... un-install = delete folder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freelancer-1
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dazza9806482:

so no need to backup each patch hunt out my disks and generally waste lots of time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago. Works fine. The only thing you may miss is that it doesn't show up in the start menu. So, you will need a few extra clicks to access your settings.

Good luck,

BaldieJr
02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
i've moved my install several times because i scratched the tar outta my disk and cant reinstall. i prolly should call tech support and request a new disk but i was hoping for this platinum pack thing i've heard rumor of.