PDA

View Full Version : OT 20th Century Battlefields Tonight BBC2

Fox_3
06-25-2007, 08:08 AM
This week the father and son team explore two key conflicts of the Korean War in 1951. Peter examines the challenges faced by US forces during the Inchon landings. While Dan recounts the British and Commonwealth efforts along the banks of the Imjin River.

Tonight 2100hrs BBC2, Peter and Dan Snow: 20th Century Battlefields.

Fox_3
06-25-2007, 08:08 AM
This week the father and son team explore two key conflicts of the Korean War in 1951. Peter examines the challenges faced by US forces during the Inchon landings. While Dan recounts the British and Commonwealth efforts along the banks of the Imjin River.

Tonight 2100hrs BBC2, Peter and Dan Snow: 20th Century Battlefields.

Hanglands
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Many thanks for the heads up Fox_3.

Despite a notice in this forum I still managed to miss the Stalingrad episode.

I look forward to this especially as in the UK our contribution to the Korean war seems to be all but forgotten.

Thanks again.

Hanglands
06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Grrrrrrrrrr http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Delayed by Wimbledon.

Still Henman is still winning. I suppose that does constitute a special occasion. Heres hoping the match meets a swift end one way or the other.

ploughman
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Blinkin tennis. Come friendly night and bad light, stop play.

MB_Avro_UK
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I was not terribly impressed with tonight's effort. They compressed the whole Korean war into 60 minutes. Good effort but the subject cried out for more airtime IMO.

And what was the value of that section of 5 minutes re-enacting an arillery barrage whilst in a bunker 100s of yards away?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

SeaFireLIV
06-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds as dissapointing as last weeks.

Hanglands
06-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Hi,

Yep, Im in agreement with MB.

It was OK, but would have been better if they had ditched the modern day Royal Artillry School stuff, and the Royal Marines painting up. Instead they could have done an even better section on the plight of the 29th Brigade. (thought they did a fair bit on 1st Bn Gloucesters, I felt more could have been done on the 1st Bn Northumberland Fus.)

Also, I think The section from the 38th parallel to the Yalu lacked depth.

Not too bad for a Monday night.

Regards.

ploughman
06-26-2007, 04:52 AM
The Cho-sin was what? Three sentances?

And Brody's and his senior Allied officers failure to communicate with other which was put down as miss timed sang froid was largely responsible for a revolution in the way British army intergrates itself with American units. All things considered a quick 5 minute exploration of this very pertinent subject would have been time well spent.

Did Peter ride on a TGV up from Pusan, those cunning Frenchies and their dapper trains.

Heliopause
06-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I've seen it aswell. 60min is a bit short I guess but I learnt a couple of things more about this conflict.

Beaufort-RAF
06-26-2007, 05:47 PM
The problem with documentaries nowadays is they go for style over substance.

Look at <span class="ev_code_RED">The World at War</span>, a simple formula and one of the most effective series ever.

Now the presenters get involved in gimmicky 'reality' stunts and actors play out dramatised scenes.

Sometimes characters even talk directly to the camera as if they are being interviewed by a TV crew on a Napoleonic battlefield or in a WW1 trench.

SeaFireLIV
06-26-2007, 05:54 PM
The World at War is still an incredible series all these years later. It was one of the few `adult` programs my Dad was willing to let me watch. I really ought to get the DVD collection.

Still, that said, a few well simalted accurate computer scenes as with their last series would`ve been nice. I mean their graphic representation of various British Medieval Battles were very nicely done and almost had you feeling as if you were whisked back in time to view the strategic battle. I remember such scenes as the Civil war were you see Cromwell swinging round on the Royalists flank with his cavalry, routing them and unlike the Royalists bringing back his cavalry to stay on the battlefield.

Sad thing about this new series is they`ve really gone lazy (or they couldn`t afford the graphics).