PDA

View Full Version : Joystick choice

atomicali
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I am in the market for a new joystick for FB?PF etc.
So what do you all use or recommend.
Also are there any sticks out there that have floor mounted rudder pedals that plug in to the stick? I really hate the twist type rudder control.
I think PF etc will not work with 2 joysticks so in that case a separate rudder pedal that plugs in to a second USB port would not work.
Oh I could not use a gameport or serial port type as I have only one Serial port on this comp and it is taken up with the UPS monitoring cable.

Wilburnator
02-25-2005, 05:54 PM
If you have some dough CH products makes the best stuff in my opinion. Sticks, rudder pedals, throttles. If you don't wish to buy a separate throttle, the Fighterstick had a throttle wheel on it. The software allows you to configure all installed CH units as one unit. BTW, PF and FB support multiple controllers, so any combination of anything you can think of will pretty much work.

http://chproducts.com/

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I'll second that opinion.

CH also has an outstanding reputation for customer service.

kSetuni
02-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I enjoyed using my X45 with the CH pro pedals. However I just upgraded to a complete CH fighterstick and Pro throttle setup. Thi swas due to my X45 wearing out and made flying difficult. If money is tight I would do the CH fighterstick with the Pro Pedals then add the Pro throtle later. I got my FS and PT from www.securemart.com (http://www.securemart.com) for $88 each and they shipped out of ilinois to me and I had them within 4 days of my order. Very happy with them overal.

S.M.

-HH- Beebop
02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
CH products are excellent, or so I've heard. never had that kind of $$$.

IMO best value for money is the X-45 or, For a Few Dollars More, (now that sounds familiar somehow), the X-52. The X-45 is falling in price right now with the introduction of the X-52.

For the price of a CH stick and throttle you can have an 'X' stick, some CH pedals and Track IR. Now your set for total immersion.

Just my take on it.

atomicali
02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for that folks.
Well if PF etc supports multiple controllers, I would be able to make my own pedals (well rudder bar)out of an old usb joystick. :-)
Perhaps I should have mentioned I am in Australia and prices are a tad higher here.
A CH Fighterstick is $240.00AU, CH Pro rudderpedals $250.00AU and the CH usb Pro throttle is $230.00AU. Total is $720.00AU or about $566.00US the lot. Ouch.
While I am not totally broke I don't know if I can afford that.
A Saitek X52 is $198.00AU so I might have to go for that one.
Any more suggestions are welcome, so keep them coming.

Tully__
02-26-2005, 02:24 AM
It looks like you've done your research and you're on the right track.

When setting up more than one controller there may be a minor glitch when it comes to setting up sensitivity. See the article linked by the "Joysticks..." link under my sig for more details, particularly the section near the bottom of the ariticle about adding a second controller.

FoolTrottel
02-26-2005, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by atomicali:
Thanks for that folks.
Well if PF etc supports multiple controllers, I would be able to make my own pedals (well rudder bar)out of an old usb joystick. :-)
(...) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's an example of what you are going to make:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/Rudder1a.jpg

atomicali
02-26-2005, 04:09 AM
Fooltrottel >
Ye something like that.
Tully> your name seems familiar. You didn't have anything to do with linux usb joystick drivers or something like that did you?

Tully__
02-26-2005, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by atomicali:
Tully> your name seems familiar. You didn't have anything to do with linux usb joystick drivers or something like that did you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, but maybe you've seen me around here, Hyperlobby or SimHQ before.

DHC2Pilot
02-26-2005, 10:53 AM
That homemade set of rudder pedals is by far the UGLIEST thing I've ever seen. (Laughing)...but I'm sure it works. Necessity - the mother of invention. Way to go!

lbhskier37
02-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Look into simpeds. They are way better than the CH products ones, but a bit more expensive. IMHO the extra money is worth it with these things.

UKPsycho
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question (related).

Im hunting for some pedals myself, looked at simped and ch but cant find out how they work. The simped pedals appear to be 'swivel' type and ch seem to be like accelerator and brake in an automatic car, can anyone shed some light on how they work?

Sorry for the hijack!

x6BL_Brando
02-26-2005, 01:21 PM
With CH kit the pedals slide backwards & forwards in two parallel slots. They are linked...therefore one pedal comes back as the other goes forward. The axis is a single potentiometer though not used as the fulcrum. Both pedals have pots too....I use the right for braking and the left for "flaps-on-a-slider" (i.e. flaps bound in through the HOTAS set-up in FB)
They're very rugged....two years with only one hitch - a broken wire. I think this apparent glitch (I've seen mention of it elsewhere a few times) has been sorted at the production stage. CH give great support anyway.

I've looked enviously @ Simpeds - they're out of reach of my pocket though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

atomicali
02-27-2005, 12:26 AM
So if I bought some CH pedals I could use them with any brand of joystick?
Or do I specifically need a CH joystick to match?

sc1949
02-27-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm Aussie, and use Thrustmaster Afterburner Pro 2, something like AU $90.00 here, has a throttle, 8 buttons plus Shift etc,. Throttle can be seperated easily, had mine for years, still going strong. Guillemot is name now I think! Also have a Modena steering wheel which I use for extra buttons with iL2, and TIR2.

atomicali
02-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Ye I had the afterburner II version till it got fried in a usb port with reversed polarity.
Contacted Thrustmaster.au about a new circuit for it.
Nope not available. Had to buy a new stick.
Rotten mongrels.

VFA195-MaxPower
02-27-2005, 02:43 AM
avoid logitech products like the pleague. well.. not mice or keyboards.. but their joysticks suck ***.

HotelBushranger
02-27-2005, 04:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>avoid logitech products like the pleague. well.. not mice or keyboards.. but their joysticks suck ***. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that.

atomicali
02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Ah well I am sticking with the fox 2 pro shock for alittle longer.
Reason?
Just wrung out the credit card on a TrackIR3 Pro and some Ch pedals.
While I know they will not really improve my poor flight or shooting skills, it will be interesting to see if they help at all.
What I am really used to is dual stick controllers as I flew RC aircraft for about 15 years.
So I will have to wait for the new stick, well at least till I get the CC balance down to an acceptable level.
:-)

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Get this (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) and these (http://www.provantage.com/buy-22043985-ch-pro-pedals-usb-shopping.htm)... and dont look back. For $130 US you can have a HOTAS (<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">H</span>ands <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">O</span>n <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">T</span>hrottle <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">A</span>nd <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">S</span>tick)with the best set of rudder pedals for the price. I have never tried CH sticks and throttles.. but I hear they are very good but for the price you cant beat that X-45 in the link.

atomicali
02-28-2005, 11:09 PM
See my previous post Bearcat99.
CH pedals already ordered. As is a TrackIR3 Pro.
The stick upgrade will have to wait a little while (money), but I will probably get the X52 Saitek.
As I said earlier I am in Aus so ordering from the USA is a bit of a pain, especially if I have to make any warranty claims.

atomicali
03-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok current state of play.
The CH rudder pedals and the TrackIR pro 3 have arrived (yay).
Have not had any problems setting up basic TrackIR functions.
The CH pedals are another matter.
I have run the Ch management software and tried in direct and mapped mode, but blowed if I can get FB etc to recognize that the pedals are for rudder.
Joystick is a thrustmaster top gun fox II pro shock.
So anyone got any tips or links on how to get the pedals working with the game?
Cheers.