PDA

View Full Version : Dornier D0-335

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Did it take part in any of ww2 mission?
If not it has to go in the Bf-109Z closet ... no?
If yes wich mission ? wich fight ?

If the plane never flew in a mission with prouf the plane will have to be removed from Historical servers .

What is your opinion?
Thx

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Did it take part in any of ww2 mission?
If not it has to go in the Bf-109Z closet ... no?
If yes wich mission ? wich fight ?

If the plane never flew in a mission with prouf the plane will have to be removed from Historical servers .

What is your opinion?
Thx

msalama
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is your opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By all means. Still an incredibly cool plane though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

LStarosta
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
It pulled a 1972 5000m Lasse Viren on Clostermann, fo sho.

BERNDT79
02-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I think thats something us runners will only understandhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
My opinon? Be careful what you ask for.

It's from Wikipedia, but presumably the original account is in the book:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In his book The Big Show, French ace Pierre Clostermann claims the first Allied combat encounter with a Pfeil in April 1945. Leading a flight of four Hawker Tempests from No. 3 Squadron RAF over northern Germany, he intercepted by chance a lone Do 335 flying at maximum speed at treetop level. Detecting the British aircraft, the German pilot reversed course to evade. In spite of the Tempest's considerable speed (equal to a P-51 Mustang's), the RAF fighters were not able to catch up or even get into firing position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose an argument could be made that no shots were fired, but the plane did fly. It did come into contact with three Tempests. And the pilot did what just about any other pilot would have done in those circumstances €" ran for it.

Unknown-Pilot
02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
My opinion? People who desperately seek to ban a plane just because it didn't score any kills, suck. Big time.

Even more so when they don't bother to include the Yak3P, Bi-1, MiG3U (or whichever one had 6 total built), and YP-80 in their little book of hate.

Your bias and lack of imagination are showing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

We need as many weird and unusual planes as possible. And the less likely to be picked up by another sim, the better. We need an F7F, F8F (&lt;- most especially), Yak15, Japanese versions of the 262 and 163 (former was smaller and more agile and the latter was larger and longer lasting), and anything else rare, wild and cool like that.

msalama
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and anything else rare, wild and cool like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif More c**p planes as well, and as many weirdos and oddballs as possible...

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 11:51 AM
RE: Desperately seeking a ban.

I thought it was a completely fair question. Valid issue.

Friendly_flyer
02-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Pilots of the Norwegian squadrons (RAF 331 and 332) saw one presumably flying an ops-mission. It raced away at treetop level. The Norwegians in their Spit IX's coudl not catch it.

It's fast, but it isn't much of a turner. I see no reason it should be banned from servers.

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Unknown pilot get a grip.. many UFO have been sited too but i will not include planes that didn't take combat in a combat Historical mission. but maybe a recon mission or intercept one. maybe some peoples are looking for Historical missions .

Instead to make a base with dorniers and ending by having the whole servers overtaked by dorniers i will place only one flying dornier wich represent more like it was.

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheGozr:
Unknown pilot get a grip.. many UFO have been sited too but i will not include planes that didn't take combat in a combat Historical mission. but maybe a recon mission or intercept one. maybe some peoples are looking for Historical missions .
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OT: Ever notice how UFO sightings dropped after camcorders became generally available?

269GA-Veltro
02-10-2006, 12:02 PM
A Me-410 would have been probably better...but...this "strange" bird is really amazing, a lot of fun with it. It's also an high quality work, model and cockpit.

I like it a lot.

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 12:02 PM
exactly they probably were Dorniers flying by taking pictures ... lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I like the dornier too a lot but making an historical mission no matter my preferences.

Texan...
02-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I think there is proof of one being shot up on the ground. Watch "Thunderbolt: Conquest of the Reich" and in one of the ground strafing runs I *swear* in the lower left part of the frame is a Dodo being strafed. Looks like it's left rear gear strut is broken down, but that tail and rear prop are unmistakable to me.

Don't know what the hubbub is. I shot down about 10 or 11 Do335s last night. If they aren't used correctly, the result is 200 points in your bag.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

It will be in the same category as the 262 soon. They make the servers real boring, real fast. Who wants to spend the evening chasing a guy around with the throttle jammed to the board? I haven't been shot down by a 262 in a very long time. In a good server like Spits/109s with the icons off, one or two evasive moves and you're on your way home with the schwalbe scratching his head.

Put these on for one map rotation an evening at the most, but be prepared to watch the server clear out.

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes same with an even better server like "Historia" and "IOCL" that was to fly in.

SnailRunner
02-10-2006, 12:09 PM
and what is the excuse for the 262 not having a place at most online servers..??

Geeez.....

The Dornier have one good thing, thats speed, if it turns it bleeds e so fast the a P-11 would be able to shoot it down

With the sniper hispano back, the 25lbs spit, the tempest i have no idea why people are so hmmmm...yes i will use the term scared of it...

The 50`s is better, the P-51 is finaly a high speed / high alt fighter, and the jug will be able to catch it in dive.....

Where is the problem????

Unknown-Pilot
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SnailRunner:
Where is the problem???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's LW and it's different. And mostly they percieve an easy excuse to eliminate it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Just the question? Did it or did it not see combat? Quite simple ... yes or no. and where.

Thx

Unknow pilot same i will not add a YP80 with a africa mission..

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Dornier have one good thing, thats speed ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. It has climb. Ask Texan about trying to outclimb a Do 335.

OMK_Hand
02-10-2006, 12:37 PM
From ' War Planes - Fighters volume 1' by William Green (1961,

"At the end of the war a few Do 335A-1 single-seaters had been delivered to the Luftwaffe, but these were not encountered operationally."

waffen-79
02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
'Historical' LOL that's hilarous http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

if you guys want historical servers ('45) there should be like 85% reds vs 15% blues and luftwaffe could only take off with 25% fuel and almost no ammo. BE SURE!

DO-335A-0

Use it as a High Speed Bomber or a BnZ Heavy Fighter

IT CAN BE SHOT DOWN, what's the fuzz?

alert_1
02-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Historical WHAT? You mena the server where Jugs, P38LAte, Musangs etc are figtinng with LW on Crimea peninsula? Historical? I'd say NOT

Unknown-Pilot
02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
"Historical"? Only if you're making a CGI documentary and have the ability to fully manipulate the models via 3DS Max or Maya.

If you are involving a physics model and human interaction, it's fantasy. Period.

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Alert_1 i'm dislectic too and it's not my language .. deal with it.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif LOl

Unknown-Pilot i guess you did reach you deep thinking here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and lost your humor....

Now please back to the question. It is just a matter of knowing more.

SnailRunner
02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Its a hard one, we have to define combat, if we talk lead exchange i doent think it saw combat, was it encountered by allied pilots...yes

I think all agree that it was flying, in werry sp**** numbers, but it was flying. It have been seen and chased by allied pilots, but real combat no i doent think so....

But this one will be parked at bann mall right beside the 262 im afraid

and just so you know, im actualy a "pony" rider, and have been that for a looong time

S! all back to the fun

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 01:12 PM
SO it is possible but make it available in a small quantity 1 or 2 max. Thank you

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm a big fan of this airplane and can confidently affirm that if it had ever fired a shot in anger, I would have read of it.

To the best of my knowlege, it was issued to at least one squadron that was still working out tactics with the airplane. It never went on a fully operational mission. Even the contact I referred to earlier was, in all probabililty, a training or evaluation flight.

One was shot at by one of the allied Tempests that was flying with Clostermann. However, it was a "Hail Mary" shot while the Do 335 was escaping.

I know of no bombing or reconnaissance missions undertaken with this aircraft, or any varient of this aircraft.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

SnailRunner
02-10-2006, 01:14 PM
NP m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif lol

TheGozr
02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Doug_Thompson yes eaxactly what you just said.

Slickun
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Sounds like it was at almost the exact stage the F8 and P-51H were at war's end.

Literally hours away from a full blown combat mission.

Some pubs still say the H got in.

OldMan____
02-10-2006, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug_Thompson:
I'm a big fan of this airplane and can confidently affirm that if it had ever fired a shot in anger, I would have read of it.

To the best of my knowlege, it was issued to at least one squadrons that was still working out tactics with the airplane. It never went on a fully operational mission. Even the contact I referred to earlier was, in all probabililty, a training or evaluation flight.

One was shot at by one of the allied Tempests that was flying with Clostermann. However, it was a "Hail Mary" shot while the Do 335 was escaping.

I know of no bombing or reconnaissance missions undertaken with this aircraft, or any varient of this aircraft.

I hope I'm proven wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course.. I flown myself several missions with it on 1945... what? Why do you think my nick is OlMan?

danjama
02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
That Do335 can really turn too, i dont see how anyone can argue against that, cut that engine on the rear and watch it turn on a dime

BuzzardHead
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
If you want to see something really cool,bail out of one.The rear prop explodes and the ejection seat works.Excellant modeling.

Doug_Thompson
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
That Do335 can really turn too, i dont see how anyone can argue against that, cut that engine on the rear and watch it turn on a dime </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to try that tonight.

NagaSadow84
02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Some infos from €žDornier Do 335, 435, 635€œ by Manfred Griehl:

Do 335 V4 (M4) (W.Nr. 230004) €œCP+UD€ of EK 335
Shot down by American fighters near Neuwied (24.12.1944).
Two other Do 335 of EK 335 were possibly shot down, too.
And apparently there was a Do 335 with kill markings at Mengen in 1944.

ploughman
02-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow!!!!

berg417448
02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NagaSadow84:
Some infos from €žDornier Do 335, 435, 635€œ by Manfred Griehl:

Do 335 V4 (M4) (W.Nr. 230004) €œCP+UD€ of EK 335
Shot down by American fighters near Neuwied (24.12.1944).
Two other Do 335 of EK 335 were possibly shot down, too.
And apparently there was a Do 335 with kill markings at Mengen in 1944. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting stuff...

Do 335V-4 CP+UD 230004 Do 435 prototype, not completed

According to :

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/profile/d335prod.htm

CD_kp84yb
02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Do 335V-4 CP+UD 230004 Do 435 prototype, not completed

sorry guys dont wanna spoil a party , i love this bird
http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/profile/d335prod.htm

VW-IceFire
02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Closterman encountered just the single Do-335. It was used, apparently, in the closing weeks as a reconnaisance aircraft. So you can therefore say that it undertook combat operations (the same as any PR Spitfire did). However, to my knowledge it was never successfully engaged and shot down nor did it actually attack any allied fighters.

The one Closterman saw came at them and they ID'ed it and got position behind it...but they could not close to fire. His wingman took shots at it according to his account but they were low on fuel and unwilling to engage WEP to try and catch him. A thin white streak was apparently observed coming from the engines indicating MW50 use. They were as close as about 500 meters from the target...but it got away.

If you're talking strictly historical servers running strictly historical scenarios then its not historical. If you are already bending history a bit then its not all that bad to have.

A Me410 would have been better but the resources were not made available unfortunately. The Do-335 was irronically well documented. In many ways I see it a bit like a Ar-234...it has a Do-335...which did fly in WWII...so...

NagaSadow84
02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Do 335 V4 (M4) (W.Nr. 230004) "CP+UD"

June 1944: Finished with 45,5m² wing
09.07.1944: First flight
August 1944: New wing as Do 335 B-4 prototyp
03.09.1944: First flight with new wing
October 1944: To EK 335
November 1944: Back to Dornier because of technical problems
24.12.1944: Shot down on the way to Rechlin

MadBadVlad
02-10-2006, 03:59 PM
For those searching for the truth on whether the DO-335 saw combat or not, or indeed for all you could want to know about this aircraft, there is one definitive book worth reading:

Dornier D0-335 An Illustrated History by Karl-Heinz Regnat. Schiffer Military Publishing. 216 pages, 240 B&W and colour photos, drawings and charts.

LUFT11_Hoflich
02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Dang...

Why is it that ALLWAYS Allied fliers beotch about.. " Gee.. that 109K4 is too fast and climbs like a rocket, 262 pilots only use their jets in B n Z and never dogfight.. they always run and never engage in dogfights, not fair.. it's too fast etc.. etc.. etc.. etc.."

I used to fly another online simm, Fighter Ace, and the same stuff happened there... Allied pilots USA, GB and SU pilots always crying about uber 30mm guns, and same ol .50 cal not powerful enough, I I don't think 10 .50 cal hits in the wing is = to 1 30mm hit in wing) yet they always get their planes in new patches, if Axis get some improvement or new plane.. there goes the crying, not to mention that in that game allies most of the time outnumber Axis...

end note... Allies cry always, in this sim and in others. Hell Oleg.. give them the atom bomb and B29, and maybe.. just maybe. they will be happy.

H¶f...

BM357_Sniper
02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LUFT11_Hoflich:
Dang...

Why is it that ALLWAYS Allied fliers beotch about.. " Gee.. that 109K4 is too fast and climbs like a rocket, 262 pilots only use their jets in B n Z and never dogfight.. they always run and never engage in dogfights, not fair.. it's too fast etc.. etc.. etc.. etc.."

I used to fly another online simm, Fighter Ace, and the same stuff happened there... Allied pilots USA, GB and SU pilots always crying about uber 30mm guns, and same ol .50 cal not powerful enough, I I don't think 10 .50 cal hits in the wing is = to 1 30mm hit in wing) yet they always get their planes in new patches, if Axis get some improvement or new plane.. there goes the crying, not to mention that in that game allies most of the time outnumber Axis...

end note... Allies cry always, in this sim and in others. Hell Oleg.. give them the atom bomb and B29, and maybe.. just maybe. they will be happy.

H¶f... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The problem is, for example, if you put a 262 on a server, almost everyone will be flying it and the sky will be full of jets. Its usually us that want historical accuracy that may say something about it. Yes, I stick to historical servers and away from the arcade ones as much as possible.

As far as the 10 .50 cal rounds vs one 30mm hit go, I guess you have zero experience with either of those weapons or ammunitions. Nuff said about that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

luftluuver
02-10-2006, 06:18 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1114844/Do335-data02-1.jpg This came off the net but is from the Monogram-Monarch 335 book. ISBN 0-914144-52-9

There was only one 335, the V3, WNr 230003, that went to a true operational unit. This unit was 1./Aufkl.Gr. Ob.d.L. It went there July 26 1944 and spent most of the time on the ground being u/s. It was suppose to photograph the London area.

bodaw
02-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Have you guys actually tried that on your server? Warclouds has a couple of maps with the 262s and most of the time it's only about 4 of 5 pilots flying the 262s and they were doing ground attack, not dogfighting. And even then, the 262s weren't getting any cover at the base and the vulchers pretty much finished them off either on the ground, during take off and landing. That's pretty historically accurate to me.

WTE_Ibis
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug_Thompson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheGozr:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OT: Ever notice how UFO sightings dropped after camcorders became generally available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's only natural, you don't think they're gonna hang about with all those cameras around do ya, sheesh.
Any way the US has made its UFOs visibly stealthy now and use noise jamming waves similar to headphone technology.
So that means you can't see them, hear them or pickem up on radar but that doesn't mean that they're not there.
They're everywhere and now they have miniture
ones watching every move you make. They home in on mobile phone calls.

IV_JG51_Prien
02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem is, for example, if you put a 262 on a server, almost everyone will be flying it and the sky will be full of jets. Its usually us that want historical accuracy that may say something about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say you want to be historically accurate, and yet you don't want to have the 262 included. Seems to me your "desire for history" is a little bit lop sided. Your argument? "everybody will be flying them"... I have a sneaking suspision that currently on any server that has them available you're going to see 90% Tempest/SpitIX25lb

From a "historical" standpoint, I can see why people will not include the DO335 on servers... But the "Arcade" servers, why not have them?

I know Warclouds is not a "historical" server by any scope of the word, but when I was flying there this evening when I brought up the pilot list..

Tempest
Tempest
Tempest
Tempest
SpitIX25lb
SpitIX25lb
Tempest
Tempest
Mosquito (yay for the skeeter!)
SpitIX25lb
P51
etc........

The newest and greatest allied "uberplanes" but definatly no DO335 despite warclouds not being a particularly history driven server. I saw a ME262 available on one map, but it was the U4 model http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Sorry, but every time I see "The 262 is just too fast!!" arguement what I really see is "Wahh wahh wahh I didn't get to pad my score because I wasn't smart enough to know how to catch it".

Gibbage1
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
These threads remind me of the anti-P-80 threads. Interestingly, there where NO anti-Go-229 threads.

VW-IceFire
02-10-2006, 08:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gibbage1:
These threads remind me of the anti-P-80 threads. Interestingly, there where NO anti-Go-229 threads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dissapointed were you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I haven't seen any anti-He-162 threads either. Its sort of an odd bird...no wings virtually. How about introducing that into the maps? Hard to hit...hard to hit with. Flew in the war...Tempests shot one down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Ibis
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
The mighty DO, given a decent runway she can takeoff using the rear engine only and without feathering the front prop.
What do ya think of them apples Doz???

MystiqBlackCat
02-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Found this on a google...

"The Do335 V9 (CP+UI) was the prototype for the Do335A-0 pre-production model. Fitted with a strengthened undercarriage, DB603A-2 engines, and full armament, it was delivered to the Rechlin Erprobungstelle in May 1944 for further official trials. It was shortly followed off the Oberpfaffenhofen production line by the first Do335A-0 (VG+PG). In all, ten Do335A-0 fighter-bombers were produced. Several were used by Erprobungskommando 335 (EK335), formed in September 1944 for the service evaluation and development of operational tactics for this new type. "

"Plagued by mechanical unreliability and lack of aviation fuel, the operational career of the Do335 is rather obscure. Do335A-0 and A-1 aircraft are thought to have flown a number of operational missions with EK335. Some were also used by III/KG2 in the Spring of 1945. There is no evidence of the type being met in combat, so it seems likely that all the operations were high speed interdiction missions - many taking place at night. "
- http://www.skylighters.org/encyclopedia/do335.html

I agree that the Anteater shouldnt be avaiable in numbers on anything but late war scenarios but setting up a remote airfield with a limited number could add some more diversity to maps so the Reds could have more to shoot at than 109s and 190s....

Though the Do-335 issue could go either way, there is no excuse for the exclusion of the Me-262 on "historical" servers. It came, it served, and sometimes it got served. And before someone can complain about everyone using it, it is not that difficult to set a limit to the number of a specific aircraft. I believe that you can do it by taking an airfield, enabling just one or two planes, and shrinking the radius of the airfield, this reduces the number of people allowed to select the airfield and hence use the available aircraft. I know there is a more precise way to do it but I dont remember.

Rant Over

NagaSadow84
02-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Do 335 V1 €œCP+UA€œ was also used by 1./Aufkl.Gr. Ob.d.L.. V3 only replaced V1 as €œT9+ZH€ in July 1944.

Sergio_101
02-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Anyone who has flown or fought against the
Do-335 on line will know by now that it's
a big lumbering target.
Take a Mustang MkIII and make a sieve of it.

It's just another luftfantasy plane, but this
one has only a little speed on it's side.

Gimmie a P-51H Oleg.

Faster than a Do-335, out turns any other
P-51, great time to climb and brutaly fast.
faster than the D0-335 by a small marginhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

By the way, I like the P-51 gun sync with 4.03M.
.50's still "float like an anchor and sting like a moth",
but it's easier to score damaging hits.
And the P-51 wings don't un zip as easily.

Sergio

FI.RULES
02-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone...
I wery seldom post in these forum´s, but read them daily...So every time there is a new "über"-plane it start´s all over again, You have to be kidding me... I got realy fedup with all remarks from "Luftis" yeasterday night at Spit´s vs. 109´s about "everybody" flying the Tempest or the new Spit. Offcourse everyone wants to try the new plane´s.Right? Is it to hard to understande that a long awaited adition to the RAF ****nal will be tried by thouse that have the intereste to do so? And besides there was plenty of Do-Do´s flying in there aswell, so what are you naging about?

I get the feeling that some less skillfull "Lufti´s" are geting hammered in there Run-90´s
that arent so good at running enymore!

A little advise for all whiners on all sides.

IT´S ONLY a GAME!!!

For total realism join your countrys airforce!
Or adapt to the new plane-set and it´s FM.

Enough ranting from me.

i´m cool now, realy I am

Hristo_
02-11-2006, 04:56 AM
Just tried a Do-335 in a DF room with all planes enabled (except jets). Simply a fantastic ride.

I took several bombs in bomb bay just in case. Dropped them all in one pass over enemy field - 1st kill.

Then I BnZed Tempests, Spit25s, I-185s and La-7s. All in all 5 more kills. Landed without even being pinged.

Do-335 is a fantastic allrounder. All but the fastest planes can't catch it, it takes enough ordnance without noticeable speed penalty, has big guns to down anything it wants and it can even turn a little. Only Mustang III can catch it and I'm not sure about the turnfight between the two.

IMO, if anyone bans the 262 (which has every right to be on a server with Tempests and Spit25s), at least enable the Dodo.

CUJO_1970
02-11-2006, 07:22 AM
I've flown it online and it's a BnZ'er dream.

Once I got used to it, I got three kills pretty quick with it.

It can maneuver at high speeds that will rip the wings off a Tempest or a P-51.

I'm a little curious about the torque roll and stall charachteristics given it has contra-rotating props http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Max.Power
02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
What I hear is that it didn't make production because of the gyroscopic effect of both engines. With the two engines, you have two gigantic, opposite rotating gyroscopes. When you exert a force of a gyroscope, the gyrscope will respond my exerting a force at 90 degrees. This is called Gyroscopic precession. When the aircraft maneovered, the precession effects of both engines would interact, causing a subtle spiral wobble in the aircraft's nose. This was not dangerous, however, it was not a suitable gun platform as you might imagine.

CUJO_1970
02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max.Power:
What I hear is that it didn't make production because of the gyroscopic effect of both engines. With the two engines, you have two gigantic, opposite rotating gyroscopes. When you exert a force of a gyroscope, the gyrscope will respond my exerting a force at 90 degrees. This is called Gyroscopic precession. When the aircraft maneovered, the precession effects of both engines would interact, causing a subtle spiral wobble in the aircraft's nose. This was not dangerous, however, it was not a suitable gun platform as you might imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should read Eric Brown's flight report on flying a captured two-seater Do-335.

Max.Power
02-11-2006, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eric Brown's flight report on flying a captured two-seater Do-335 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you just fill me in instead? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CUJO_1970
02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max.Power:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eric Brown's flight report on flying a captured two-seater Do-335 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you just fill me in instead? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, in short he said it was overpowered(in a good way) and had a very steep climb angle which it had no problem sustaining.

It had boosted ailerons and a high rate of roll at high speeds.

He did a level speed run at ~18,000ft and got it up to 430mph unboosted - not bad for the two-seater version!

Although it was not a close in dogfighter, he didn't mention any problems with oscillation or porpoising.

BM357_Sniper
02-11-2006, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bodaw:
Have you guys actually tried that on your server? Warclouds has a couple of maps with the 262s and most of the time it's only about 4 of 5 pilots flying the 262s and they were doing ground attack, not dogfighting. And even then, the 262s weren't getting any cover at the base and the vulchers pretty much finished them off either on the ground, during take off and landing. That's pretty historically accurate to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Warclouds? That says it all. lol I forgot the guys name, but I spoke with him and he told me he didn't have the time to research the correct data to keep it historical. We don't fly there for that reason and because its not FISC. No big deal, just saying our preferences. However, if thats the case, that is good even though I've only witnessed that once.

mgoyat
02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm seriously in love with the 335. Of course I was dying to fly it in a sim. I got to try it online yesterday (VFC-something server). It's fast, and it can climb, and it has guns. Doesn't seem to turn bad though I kept to B&Z where it excels. Set up a bounce, dive on unsuspecting target, vaporize it with a brief burst of close-range fire and extend away. One P-38 tried to maneuver, but I nailed him easily in a climbing turn...
I'd say that a smart pilot should be virtually untouchable in the 335. Sure, some other planes can go as fast, but 335 can keep fast forever on 100% power and a large fuel tank. If you spot the enemy plane soon enough, you can keep him out of range...
My verdict, for now, is that the Do335 is the king of B&Zers !

iborg, on Hyperlobby

Max.Power
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CUJO_1970:

Why don't you just fill me in instead? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, in short he said it was overpowered(in a good way) and had a very steep climb angle which it had no problem sustaining.

It had boosted ailerons and a high rate of roll at high speeds.

He did a level speed run at ~18,000ft and got it up to 430mph unboosted - not bad for the two-seater version!

Although it was not a close in dogfighter, he didn't mention any problems with oscillation or porpoising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the run down.

I don't know, what did he say about its ability to combat maneover or sustain turns? Like I said, the former about the gyroscopic problem is what I hear, and I am a little hazy about under what conditions the problem presented itself. It could be that Brown didn't put the aircraft into a circumstance where the problem would have presented itself.

You must understand that this is purely a reasoning excercise for me. I've not read your book nor do I know anything about the Do that you can't get out of looking at photos of it first hand.

JRJacobs
02-12-2006, 07:46 AM
translated from http://www.nefkom.net/elektroflug

During the First World War Prof. Claude Dornier designed a number of flying boats, which typically featured a tandem engine installation. The engines were mounted back-to-back in pairs, with the forward unit driving a tractor airscrew and the aft facing unit a pusher propeller. This engine arrangement was subsequently adopted for the highly successful Dornier Do Wal flying boat of 1922.
The idea of placing the pilot between the two engines in such an arrangement obviously occurred to Dornier. Indeed, on 3rd August 1937 he filed patent number 728044 for an aircraft of just such a configuration. It was on the basis of this patent that the Do 335 came to be developed.
An extension drive shaft from the rear engine was introduced for the first time in the G¶ttingen G¶ 9, a 1 : 2,5 scaled down Do 17, build by Schempp-Hirth in Nabern completly fom wood. The extension drive shaft could been tested sucsessfully.
Fitted with Daimler-Benz DB603A-2 engines delivering 1750 hp at take-off, the first example, Do 335 V1 (CP+UA), flew for the first time on 26 October 1943 from Mengen, Wurttemburg, with Flugkapitan Hans Dieterle at the controls.
After initial handling trials at Oberpfaffenhofen, the Do 335 V1 was ferried to the Rechlin Erprobungstelle for official evaluation. Although some snaking and porpoising was found at high speeds, the Rechlin test pilots were generally enthusiastic. They commented favourably on its general handling behaviour, manoeuvrability and in particular on its acceleration and turning circle. However, they also criticised the very poor rearward vision and weak undercarriage.
Top speed was 775 km/h, which made it the fastest piston-engine plane of the war.
The Do 335 V4 was intended to be the prototype for the two-seat Do 435 night and all-weather interceptor, featuring side-by-side seating, cabin pressurisation, 2500 hp Jumo 222 engines and long span wooden outer wing panels.
All in all 32 planes were finished until the end of the war, 3 more unter controll of the allies after the war.
One plane survied in open storage for 27 years in the grounds of the NASM storage facility at Silver Hill. In October 1974 the decaying airframe was flown back to Munich, for a complete restoration by Dornier Aircraft at Oberpfaffenhofen. The magnificently restored aircraft was displayed at the Deutches Museum, Munich, before returning to the NASM, where the planes is unfortunatly not displayed.
I highly recomment the book "Vom Original zum Modell" by K. H. Regnat

LStarosta
02-12-2006, 08:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by _VR_C_Berndt:
I think thats something us runners will only understandhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha yeah! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

luftluuver
02-12-2006, 08:23 AM
JR, your link is wrong. The P-51H, of which several hundred had been built before WW2 ended, was faster. Also the top speed the link states is for the DB603L engined a/c. There was no 'L' engined a/c.

VW-IceFire
02-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Armament question on the Do-335. I was under the impression that the armament on the variant we were getting was 1xMK103 30mm cannon and 2xMG151/15 15mm machine gun. Instead we have MG151/20 20mm cannon. Is this correct for the A-0 variant?

JRJacobs
02-12-2006, 08:45 AM
sorry, i posted what i had found but have no way of checking the veracity.
i was more interested in the following statement
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Although some snaking and porpoising was found at high speeds, the Rechlin test pilots were generally enthusiastic. They commented favourably on its general handling behaviour, manoeuvrability and in particular on its acceleration and turning circle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

luftluuver
02-12-2006, 08:58 AM
JR, no need to say 'sorry'.

Yes, the snaking and porpoising is interesting.

Ice, when initially designed, the /15 were to be the weapons but the /15s were phased out of production and the /20 replaced them.(imo)

LUFT11_Hoflich
02-13-2006, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IV_JG51_Prien:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem is, for example, if you put a 262 on a server, almost everyone will be flying it and the sky will be full of jets. Its usually us that want historical accuracy that may say something about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say you want to be historically accurate, and yet you don't want to have the 262 included. Seems to me your "desire for history" is a little bit lop sided. Your argument? "everybody will be flying them"... I have a sneaking suspision that currently on any server that has them available you're going to see 90% Tempest/SpitIX25lb

From a "historical" standpoint, I can see why people will not include the DO335 on servers... But the "Arcade" servers, why not have them?

I know Warclouds is not a "historical" server by any scope of the word, but when I was flying there this evening when I brought up the pilot list..

Tempest
Tempest
Tempest
Tempest
SpitIX25lb
SpitIX25lb
Tempest
Tempest
Mosquito (yay for the skeeter!)
SpitIX25lb
P51
etc........

The newest and greatest allied "uberplanes" but definatly no DO335 despite warclouds not being a particularly history driven server. I saw a ME262 available on one map, but it was the U4 model http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Sorry, but every time I see "The 262 is just too fast!!" arguement what I really see is "Wahh wahh wahh I didn't get to pad my score because I wasn't smart enough to know how to catch it". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN BROTHA'

Willey
02-13-2006, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luftluuver:
JR, your link is wrong. The P-51H, of which several hundred had been built before WW2 ended, was faster. Also the top speed the link states is for the DB603L engined a/c. There was no 'L' engined a/c. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

775km/h topspeed for the L with Steig/Kampfleistung!
With MW-50, it could have reached well over 800. There were enough MW-50 machines, with the E engine.

AKA_TAGERT
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
What is your opinion?
Thx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think the P80 saw more action than the Do335. So, I would expect to see the Do335 online about as often as I do the P80.

WOLFMondo
02-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Um...never?

I think thats one plane I've never seen on a server.

luftluuver
02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willey:
775km/h topspeed for the L with Steig/Kampfleistung!
With MW-50, it could have reached well over 800. There were enough MW-50 machines, with the E engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Prove it. What was the WNr of this L powered 335?

Enough E powered machines? Go back a page and see how many.

VonKlugermon
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Someone mentioned the ejection seat, which I believe was installed for the first time in this aircraft. I'll have to track it down, but one of my books on fighter aircraft mentions that some of the prototypes crashed and the pilot(s) were found in the cockpit with no arms. It sounds like a urban-myth, but apparently, they had grasped the handles of the canopy release(?) and had their arms pulled off during the ejection sequence.

Interesting aircraft - I'm happy to have it.

Willy

anarchy52
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
What is your opinion?
Thx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think the P80 saw more action than the Do335. So, I would expect to see the Do335 online about as often as I do the P80. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes P-80 saw more action then Do-335 although in Korea, not WWII.

4 YP-80 were sent to Europe in WWII for operational trials. 2 crashed and test was cancelled. No enemy planes were encountered.

Too bad YP-80 in game got the F-16 FM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

luftluuver
02-13-2006, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonKlugermon:
Someone mentioned the ejection seat, which I believe was installed for the first time in this aircraft. I'll have to track it down, but one of my books on fighter aircraft mentions that some of the prototypes crashed and the pilot(s) were found in the cockpit with no arms. It sounds like a urban-myth, but apparently, they had grasped the handles of the canopy release(?) and had their arms pulled off during the ejection sequence.

Willy </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_YELLOW">MYTH</span> Photos have been posted here showing the canopy release handles attached to the fuselage.

VonKlugermon
02-13-2006, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luftluuver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonKlugermon:

Willy </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_YELLOW">MYTH</span> Photos have been posted here showing the canopy release handles attached to the fuselage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, it sounds like a myth, but then could it happen by holding the release handles (attached to fuselage) and having their arms sheared off as the seat ejected?

Willy

Capt.England
02-13-2006, 11:24 AM

OT: Ever notice how UFO sightings dropped after camcorders became generally available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong! sightings have gone up. Ask the Mexican's who film loads of them on cheap camcorders. I take it you read the Sunday Mail (if you come from Britain)?

luftluuver
02-13-2006, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by anarchy52:

4 YP-80 were sent to Europe in WWII for operational trials. 2 crashed and test was cancelled. No enemy planes were encountered.

Too bad YP-80 in game got the F-16 FM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Only one of the 4 crashed during the war while in Europe &gt; Dec 44. The other crashed in Nov 45 while testing the B41 engine.

Treetop64
02-13-2006, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by anarchy52:

Too bad YP-80 in game got the F-16 FM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Only one of the 4 crashed during the war while in Europe &gt; Dec 44. The other crashed in Nov 45 while testing the B41 engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...A little disconcerting to read the word "crash" so often whenever discussing the P-80.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

luftluuver
02-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I agree, it sounds like a myth, but then could it happen by holding the release handles (attached to fuselage) and having their arms sheared off as the seat ejected?

Willy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was 3 buttons to push &gt; one each for jettison the tail, jettison the prop and arm the seat. After the release of the canopy would the pilot pull the ejection handle.

VonKlugermon
02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Nevermind, it's already modeled:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/willson/bloodied.jpg

Willy

x__CRASH__x
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Without reading all the responses to this thread, I will say:

The Germans destoyed a great many documents at the end of the war, especially ones that dealt with newer aircraft.

So, the Do-335 could have made a number of combat sorties, but may have never made a combat air to air kill. I think there have been a number of allied sightings, but none are on record of being shot down.

So, is the Do-335 historical? Sure. It exsisted. It flew. Did it fly in combat? that would depend on your definition of combat. To me, and flight in a military aircraft where the outcome of your return to earth is uncertain, is a combat mission.

So, based on this definition, I would say that the evidence is in favor of the Do-335 having been in combat.

Hawgdog
02-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Shhhh, or we'll have to look closer at the POST war super boost spitfire

Tooz_69GIAP
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
IIRC 4 P-80's were sent to Italy in late '44 for combat evaluation, and flew 2 combat patrols, and saw no enemy aircraft.

The Do-335 reportedly flew several sorties and was encountered by enemy aircraft. One unit, EZ 335, was operational from around October '44. This unit was more of a research and development unit for tactics, but it was still an operational unit.

I find it funny we argue so much over this stuff. It's in the game, it's darned fun to fly, so what's the probelm?

anarchy52
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
...A little disconcerting to read the word "crash" so often whenever discussing the P-80.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
why? Planes crash you know. I didn't say YP-80 suffered 50% losses in a month or so and was quickly withdrawn from combat ops.
even today with all the simulations and testing prototypes and early series tend to be somewhat unreliable:

- Airbus
- Gripen
- F-22

all caused by software error

LStarosta
02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Without reading all the responses to this thread, I will say:

The Germans destoyed a great many documents at the end of the war, especially ones that dealt with newer aircraft.

So, the Do-335 could have made a number of combat sorties, but may have never made a combat air to air kill. I think there have been a number of allied sightings, but none are on record of being shot down.

So, is the Do-335 historical? Sure. It exsisted. It flew. Did it fly in combat? that would depend on your definition of combat. To me, and flight in a military aircraft where the outcome of your return to earth is uncertain, is a combat mission.

So, based on this definition, I would say that the evidence is in favor of the Do-335 having been in combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crash, according to your definition, I am a combat pilot IRL. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Doug_Thompson
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Re: One-engined turns.

There was a post a while back saying that, if you turn the back engine off, the 335 turns on a dime.

I tried it. While the turn was tight enough, speed dropped alarmingly.

What am I doing wrong? Unless there's a way to maintain speed without a serious loss of height, this doesn't appear to be worth the trade-off.

bolillo_loco
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
IIRC 4 P-80's were sent to Italy in late '44 for combat evaluation, and flew 2 combat patrols, and saw no enemy aircraft.

The Do-335 reportedly flew several sorties and was encountered by enemy aircraft. One unit, EZ 335, was operational from around October '44. This unit was more of a research and development unit for tactics, but it was still an operational unit.

I find it funny we argue so much over this stuff. It's in the game, it's darned fun to fly, so what's the probelm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya your logic is funny man, no historical server lets the YP-80 in, now what do you say funny man?

Tooz_69GIAP
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolillo_loco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:

I find it funny we argue so much over this stuff. It's in the game, it's darned fun to fly, so what's the probelm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya your logic is funny man, no historical server lets the YP-80 in, now what do you say funny man? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I wasn't posting in favour of one over the other. I was just saying I don't know why we argue over these issues so much. If someone wants to stick in the P-80 or Do-335, then cool. If not, that's their choice.

The main thing I would like to see change is the closed cockpit servers have more aircraft available. For the majority of the time, it's only the loose settings servers with wonder woman view, and icons, and padlock and stuff that have all the aircraft. I really dislike flying those settings, but the full switch servers generally don't have these more exotic types available. Kinda annoying.

Airmail109
02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
DO they model the ****ness of late war german manufacturing, and the mechanical problems which went with it....nope nor the fuel shortages, so the servers get clogged up with these wonder weapons.

Hawgdog
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
DO they model the ****ness of late war german manufacturing, and the mechanical problems which went with it....nope nor the fuel shortages, so the servers get clogged up with these wonder weapons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great point!
or not...

Anyone mention the game has been out now longer than the air war in Europe?
Oh...probably not..

Tooz_69GIAP
02-13-2006, 08:34 PM
By my count we still have around 18 months to go to match the 5 and half years or so of air combat in Europe. Unless you are counting the original IL-2 game?

But that is quite an interesting point!